• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I wish we get a DmC game where we can play as Dante from start to end. No character switching any point of the game.
I agree about that. I believe they should give the characters their own separate scenarios or campaigns where they connect or intersect, like in re6. With the next dmc game ı would prefer that to happen, especially lady and trish to get their own scenarios separately. I really like the way lady plays in dmc4 but trish felt underwhelming.

I also wish to not be heavy backtracking, ı prefer the more linear approach for more action packed games with a faster pace. I think dmc5 did better about this compared to dmc4 but v still needs to fight 3 previous bosses.

This will probably be my last rant on RE8 but I have to mention how the linearity of its design really harmed the game for me. RE8 had a lot of potential with exploration and it has small moments of that when hunting for treasures and gathering ingredients. Those were the best parts, which I want more of in future games.

What frustrates me the most, besides it’s story, is how the game constantly blocks off areas as you progress. If they removed the key that players were forced to upgrade throughout the game, it would of greatly improved the exploratory aspects of the design. Being able to fight bosses in any order and not being blocked from areas would of been great additions.

I bring this up because this game has everyone fooled into thinking it has this gigantic hub where the village is the focal point of the game, which it’s simply not. The narrow pathways in the village are constantly changing or being blocked throughout the game and it only confuses the player. The map also doesn’t help and is an eye sore to look at. Everyone disliked the factory but that was arguably the most RE like area in the entire game. All the other lord areas were painfully linear and had brain dead progression, you didn’t even have to think through the puzzles.

This game didn’t need to have linear elements, it’s sister game RE7 had better backtracking and pacing than this Frankenstein of a game.

Last edited:
I hope after RE4 comes out, they get back on track with the blue Umbrella storyline. I find it annoying how Capcom got my interest in RE7 despite it not even being my favourite game, then 8 did a complete swerve and didn't talk about it. So maybe RE9 could be about that stuff.

They are inclined to just jump about too much with their various storylines. :D

Reactions: MGr

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I hope after RE4 comes out, they get back on track with the blue Umbrella storyline. I find it annoying how Capcom got my interest in RE7 despite it not even being my favourite game, then 8 did a complete swerve and didn't talk about it. So maybe RE9 could be about that stuff.

They are inclined to just jump about too much with their various storylines. :D
I prefer it to be taken down in a very anti-climactic fashion or even off screen. Umbrella chronicles didnt showcase the conclusion for umbrella well, the variety was lacking with very underwhelming scenarios along with wesker's boring speech. It could have been just a wesker game all along. They didnt even need to show it being taken down, outbreak games already concluded it due to survivors escaping from the city with evidence for testifying against the company. Umbrella chronicles doesnt even showcase bioterrorism going rampant, it's kept exclusive to the novel where wesker leaks perfected t-virus to the black market. Bioterrorism arc starts with degeneration during suga's writing era.

If they didnt want to showcase a satisfying downfall in umbrella chronicles as a way to benefit wesker, then why should ı be interested at wesker's umbrella to get a satisfying conclusion in the 1st place?

Last edited:
I feel like Capcom will be struggling after they are done with their remakes. It kind of felt like they started to dig deep after 2012. Unable to think of how to move on.

It seems the RE4 remake isn't coming to the Xbox One, despite erroneous advertisements.

I cannot believe all the fanboys on other forums who want more remakes. Didn't they notice all the cut content and how flipping bleached out the colouring looked? 😅

If they did CV today, they would blanket it all in darkness. CV always had great lighting. Some areas were a little bit dark, but it wasn't like how it is now with the RE Engine where you can barely see the shit in front of your face. 🌑

Why have all of these lovely visuals, yet they are hidden with darkness? Even games like The Last of Us doesn't do that. Most of the time the graphics are so stunning, you can take the time to observe objects if it's safe with no Infected or hostile people around.

Days Gone only really did it in the cave where you fight the first Reacher. It feels so artificial to do horror like that.

I cannot believe all the fanboys on other forums who want more remakes. Didn't they notice all the cut content and how flipping bleached out the colouring looked? 😅

If they did CV today, they would blanket it all in darkness. CV always had great lighting. Some areas were a little bit dark, but it wasn't like how it is now with the RE Engine where you can barely see the shit in front of your face. 🌑

Why have all of these lovely visuals, yet they are hidden with darkness? Even games like The Last of Us doesn't do that. Most of the time the graphics are so stunning, you can take the time to observe objects if it's safe with no Infected or hostile people around.

Days Gone only really did it in the cave where you fight the first Reacher. It feels so artificial to do horror like that.
RE8 was in daylight most of the time so we had a chance to see more visuals but man… some of those backgrounds look poor quality. Especially the balcony where Lady D throws her dresser across the room. The trees look like they are from early PS3 era. The backgrounds from The Last of Us completely blows RE Engine backgrounds out of the water and that came out 10 years ago.

I mean cmon… even the draw distance for enemies is bad. You can even see their animations moving at 5 fps if they are far enough.

I have to rant; I doubt I will ever be able to wash the sour taste of RE:3 out of my mouth. If RE games were licorice flavors, RE8 is like the black licorice of the franchise. Not my favorite flavor but RE:3 in comparison is like some putrid sour butt flavor that is more of a gag gift to someone. The game was so insulting and a blatant cash grab it’s sickening, they payed no respect for the source material of the original game.

Every positive I have for the game is met with like 2-4 more negatives. Even the announcement was infuriating looking back when they said it’s the “campaign portion to Resistance.” Then they have the nerve to call it a complete product when there’s only 3 costumes and Resistance gets dozens more.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

It gets on my nerves how much 2017 game gets praised. I find it a massive step down compared to past entries in every way. But all its fandom says is " horror " and nothing more. It's just a cheap re1 reimagining as a re4 remake. Fighting the exact same regenerator knockoffs, losing body parts, hallucinations, a cheap origin non-virus species going overboard cause of being a cheap plot device, incredibly low variety and so much more. It doesnt feel re and it doesnt feel bio either. I only bought that game from re engine entries, ı didnt even buy re engine 2. I doubt ı would have played it if the game wasnt gifted to me. It lost its charm eventually just like 2017 game.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I have to rant; I doubt I will ever be able to wash the sour taste of RE:3 out of my mouth. If RE games were licorice flavors, RE8 is like the black licorice of the franchise. Not my favorite flavor but RE:3 in comparison is like some putrid sour butt flavor that is more of a gag gift to someone. The game was so insulting and a blatant cash grab it’s sickening, they payed no respect for the source material of the original game.

Every positive I have for the game is met with like 2-4 more negatives. Even the announcement was infuriating looking back when they said it’s the “campaign portion to Resistance.” Then they have the nerve to call it a complete product when there’s only 3 costumes and Resistance gets dozens more.
Curious but you still prefer re engine 3 storywise over re engine 2 right? It doesnt bother me as much as previous re engine entries. I only played it once compared to previous 2 games where ı played them multiple times. It only has one scenario and once ı finished that, ı didnt have the interest to play it again. There's also that ı felt burned out from previous re engine entries, especially since 2017 game has really generic combat to make it more " horror " and 2019 game has 4 scenarios but you do the exact same thing at them, go through the exact same stories, do the exact same exploration-inventory management, fight the exact same bosses. There's barely any difference. 2017 game also has weird minigames, ı dont like its paid dlcs either.

I find it eyerolling whenever survival horror elitists bring up repetitive exploration-inventory management-other adventure elements as " survival horror " . I dont find it " survival horror " , ı find it dated game design. During replays, those gameplay aspects feels least annoying in re3 and outbreak games. Recv also has one scenario but ı only find claire's antarctic-chris' rockfort sections boring. Other than that, it also doesnt bother me as much as re1, re2, remake and re0. The 1st 3 have multiple scenarios where you do the exact same exploration-inventory management-other adventure elements while re0 is a prequel. I dont like parallel scenarios and ı dont like 2 claire-2 leon scenarios either. I would have preferred 1 claire-1 leon scenario each, sherry and ada would get their own scenarios instead. What a missed opportunity to not do this in re engine 2.

Yeah. RE3 has my vote too for the worst remake to date. As lacking in splendor as RE2 is in some ways, I can still take that over the Jeff Goldblum approved pile of shit that is RE3. 🧟‍♂️ 💩

Music is very important in RE games, as you know it is included so it can create a feeling of tension, which horror as a genre requires to be successfully creepy, or whatever. The remake has really nothing that stands out in terms of the soundtrack. The soundtrack wasn't as sentimental either. They had heavy metal versions of the original tracks, as they know that's what the Fortnite obsessed youngsters today prefer.

They built up to Nemesis making his debut in the original game, but the remake was done so differently. Yes, he was on the cover for the game which let you see him beforehand, but his first assault outside the RPD was so memorable. Plus, I didn't like how you didn't encounter Brad in Bar Jack either. He basically just runs with you to the venue after you see him in the streets, and then he decides to not be a chicken. It was almost as if they were rushing through parts of the story to save on time. That he doesn't die by Nemesis either and instead Carlos has to deal with Brad in his zombie form, was also so meh.

And of course, Barry being left out. It shows they just didn't care about making any effort to recapture the tone of the original games. Every fan knows the canon ending was Barry saving Jill, because he is one of her best friends. He can be relied upon. This has always been the canon ending, even if there is that other ending where Carlos evacuated Jill instead. That wasn't the canon conclusion, though. 🤨

🌆 🚁 🔥

I could go on and on, but you get my point. Capcom will probably not mess up RE4 nearly as much, because they know these zealots online would be humming and hawing about it over on GameFAQs, IGN, and YouTube. So it's sad how it's okay to screw up 2 and 3, but not 4.🚦

Already it doesn't look quite right. Ada doesn't have her red costume. How the hell is that staying faithful to the original? So you have to change the attire and make the original unlockable? Why? That makes zero sense, because the original costume should be her default attire so it's already presented as accurately as possible. 🤔

So that's pretty dumb. And even the bonus costumes in RE2 received changes, despite supposed to being based on the original games. You can even play with the PS1 models outright. So this is just stupid, or laziness. 😃

Reactions: MGr
Curious but you still prefer re engine 3 storywise over re engine 2 right? It doesnt bother me as much as previous re engine entries. I only played it once compared to previous 2 games where ı played them multiple times. It only has one scenario and once ı finished that, ı didnt have the interest to play it again. There's also that ı felt burned out from previous re engine entries, especially since 2017 game has really generic combat to make it more " horror " and 2019 game has 4 scenarios but you do the exact same thing at them, go through the exact same stories, do the exact same exploration-inventory management, fight the exact same bosses. There's barely any difference. 2017 game also has weird minigames, ı dont like its paid dlcs either.

I find it eyerolling whenever survival horror elitists bring up repetitive exploration-inventory management-other adventure elements as " survival horror " . I dont find it " survival horror " , ı find it dated game design. During replays, those gameplay aspects feels least annoying in re3 and outbreak games. Recv also has one scenario but ı only find claire's antarctic-chris' rockfort sections boring. Other than that, it also doesnt bother me as much as re1, re2, remake and re0. The 1st 3 have multiple scenarios where you do the exact same exploration-inventory management-other adventure elements while re0 is a prequel. I dont like parallel scenarios and ı dont like 2 claire-2 leon scenarios either. I would have preferred 1 claire-1 leon scenario each, sherry and ada would get their own scenarios instead. What a missed opportunity to not do this in re engine 2.
Yeah that was one of the few positives I have about the game. The story is not jumbled and doesn’t contradict itself in anyway. I actually like the characters more in RE:3. It’s everything else surrounding it that makes the game painful to go through, knowing what could have been.

I honestly wish Capcom never bothered with the remake and skipped over it like they did with CV.

Top Bottom