• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
This article on Game Rant makes for an interesting read, since I do think about RE's future a lot.

It's looking like the RE4 remake will arrive on time. Specifically, on the 24th of March. :)

I looked at the articles. Overall generic ones with not much unique statements.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
If RE9 doesn't have Jill in it, then WTF? She has been gone from the series for too long, sans remakes. Even Barry wasn't in the RE3 ending. That was dumb. 😱
It needs to do a lot more than having jill tbh. I dont think her appearing without anyone else just to pretend the past never happened except meaningless references will amount to anything.

Chris will probably appear with Jill. There was a rumour a while ago about RE9 or maybe 10 being called Apocalypse, and it's seemingly going to be serving as that one last run for the main characters. But I doubt Capcom will end the series permanently when it rakes in so much dough.

The problem is that if the franchise does continue, there's going to be more lingering holes in the plot, as this is the pattern. That's why I feel more comfortable playing the early RE games, because they all feel properly connected. I also just find them generally more atmospheric and overall enjoyable. The franchise becomes a total mess thereafter with the Las Plagas, the Molded, and other pathogens and multiple shadow organizations. Companies. Whatever they're meant to be.

It's just so convoluted...

Reactions: MGr

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It's just so convoluted...
I find the " rules " about " survival horror " and " canon " made by fandom convoluted, not the storyline or lore progression during sugimura's and suga's eras. I personally like plaga due to the unique monsters it creates, just not the pure parasite by itself, ı think mikami should have connected it to progenitor along with the cult also being connected to umbrella. He just didnt do it cause he rushed the script after the game was in development hell for so long. The way this is done with re engine feels so forced and doesnt feel natural, especially just how much they keep producing " reboots " as a way to undermine remake and re4's uniqueness.

I've lost interest in the lore anyway. I'm beginning to accept that the series is all but tarnished. I don't see the point in ranting about it much anymore. Hissing and spitting.

Even Capcom doesn't give a shit about it either. They're gonna just keep making up more stupid stuff now as they go along. I honestly think that's what we're in for after the garbage that was RE8. I didn't think much of RE7 either, but even that was better than RE8.

I had people say to me that the remakes are canon. But I don't see how.

Yes, the 2002 remake arguably replaces the original as canon because Lisa Trevor is in TUC. But even some aspects of the rail shooters are complete nonsense, so you are probably better off just counting the new scenarios as canon, and not the retelling parts. The new chapters being of course those with Rebecca and Richard, the Wesker chapters, Ada escaping the city, the Russian invasion, and Wesker's fight with Sergei. Anything else is so shit.

Reactions: MGr

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I've lost interest in the lore anyway. I'm beginning to accept that the series is all but tarnished. I don't see the point in ranting about it much anymore. Hissing and spitting.

Even Capcom doesn't give a shit about it either. They're gonna just keep making up more stupid stuff now as they go along. I honestly think that's what we're in for after the garbage that was RE8. I didn't think much of RE7 either, but even that was better than RE8.

Yes, the 2002 remake arguably replaces the original as canon because Lisa Trevor is in TUC. But even some aspects of the rail shooters are complete nonsense, so you are probably better off just counting the new scenarios as canon, and not the retelling parts. The new chapters being of course those with Rebecca and Richard, the Wesker chapters, Ada escaping the city, the Russian invasion, and Wesker's fight with Sergei. Anything else is so shit.
2002 game doesnt replace 1996 original either. I agree that it feels like a replacement due to its faithfulness but it still isnt one. With darkside chronicles, ı prefer the retelling sections over operation javier but ı still like that more than umbrella chronicles' scenarios as well. I still dont care much for canon though since the way it works doesnt make much sense.

The Nightmare scenario in Umbrella Chronicles is grey canon as well, especially the 2nd part where Richard gets attacked by Yawn in the library but in RE1 he is found in the east hallway on the 2nd floor. They even fight Hunters which is not supposed to happen until much later. When they witness Sergei carrying out what I presumed was a corpse to make TALOS, that felt silly and out of place to me. RE1/REmake's biggest flaw really is the narrative and how both scenarios cannot coexist with one another, and Nightmare doesn't help smooth out the continuity at all. My OCD is always triggered when I can't watch all the scenes with Barry in a single playthrough and have to reload my save to see the other.

This was carried over in RE:2 for some weird reason and we were left with half of the story from the original cut out. Only the beginning cutscene with Marvin was different between the 1st runs along with the interaction with Chris' letter, but the 2nd runs simply copied 1st run, had even less narrative and felt rushed and disconnected.

This was the perfect opportunity to focus on the more canon A/B scenario but they completely dropped the ball. They even adapted the RE7 style of telling the story through watching video tapes scattered around. This was another poor decision and they should of stuck with actual cutscenes to show how Birkin and NEST met their demise.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The Nightmare scenario in Umbrella Chronicles is grey canon as well, especially the 2nd part where Richard gets attacked by Yawn in the library but in RE1 he is found in the east hallway on the 2nd floor. They even fight Hunters which is not supposed to happen until much later. When they witness Sergei carrying out what I presumed was a corpse to make TALOS, that felt silly and out of place to me. RE1/REmake's biggest flaw really is the narrative and how both scenarios cannot coexist with one another, and Nightmare doesn't help smooth out the continuity at all. My OCD is always triggered when I can't watch all the scenes with Barry in a single playthrough and have to reload my save to see the other.

This was carried over in RE:2 for some weird reason and we were left with half of the story from the original cut out. Only the beginning cutscene with Marvin was different between the 1st runs along with the interaction with Chris' letter, but the 2nd runs simply copied 1st run, had even less narrative and felt rushed and disconnected.

This was the perfect opportunity to focus on the more canon A/B scenario but they completely dropped the ball. They even adapted the RE7 style of telling the story through watching video tapes scattered around. This was another poor decision and they should of stuck with actual cutscenes to show how Birkin and NEST met their demise.
To this day ı still find talos fight in umbrella chronicles quite anti-climactic. The way umbrella's takedown is showcased in umbrella chronicles is really underwhelming. Instead of doing that, they could have just made a game where wesker is purely a playable protagonist without anyone else returning. I dont even mind re4's intro that much, umbrella was already featured during plenty of the games and outbreak games pretty much give it a conclusion already. But no of course they had to invent an " umbrella " so that wesker would benefit from it, it just doesnt feel necessary. And it still drags on starting with corps and moon. Wesker's backstory has already been revealed for his mystery to be destroyed once and for all, he goes insane and forgets everything else as a way to redeem the world by wiping out the humanity before starting from stratch. I guess what they'll say next is every wesker encountered being a clone so that they can reveal another wesker leading the new umbrella. Whenever a story revolves around wesker, it usually feels like a massive waste one way or another.

I wished re6 ended the series cause corps and moon era feel quite lackluster. They dont even reach to its amazingness in any capacity.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

My favorite streamer ripping into RE8.. too funny! 😝
I still cant believe they made an ots camera mode for a 1st person camera entry. It just doesnt fit along with out of place looking animations. It's the most forced way to pull a re4 just to release another re4 later. I still didnt play the game and at this point, ı probably never will.

I still cant believe they made an ots camera mode for a 1st person camera entry. It just doesnt fit along with out of place looking animations. It's the most forced way to pull a re4 just to release another re4 later. I still didnt play the game and at this point, ı probably never will.
For me personally the religious undertones of the lore and the whole Winter family dynamic never clicked with me. I tried really hard to like it but it feels too much like an RE4 copycat. I can't get behind how much it stretches out the lore by going back hundreds of years with the 4 lords cult and then jumping the timeline 16 more years with Rose so legacy characters can't get the closures they deserve. Rose even mentions that Chris and his Hound Wolf squad are still active after all that time.... like Chris is the only main character that matters anymore.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
For me personally the religious undertones of the lore and the whole Winter family dynamic never clicked with me. I tried really hard to like it but it feels too much like an RE4 copycat. I can't get behind how much it stretches out the lore by going back hundreds of years with the 4 lords cult and then jumping the timeline 16 more years with Rose so legacy characters can't get the closures they deserve. Rose even mentions that Chris and his Hound Wolf squad are still active after all that time.... like Chris is the only main character that matters anymore.
Yeah ı dislike those too, particularly time skip at the end. I guess they wont be able to feature character pre-re engine? Rose will pretty much become alice from live action films. Instead of that, ı would have preferred a female reunion game that teams up characters in the same way re6 did. I used to want to see a jill-claire team up but it wont happen.

Yeah ı dislike those too, particularly time skip at the end. I guess they wont be able to feature character pre-re engine? Rose will pretty much become alice from live action films. Instead of that, ı would have preferred a female reunion game that teams up characters in the same way re6 did. I used to want to see a jill-claire team up but it wont happen.
Same hence my profile picture lol. That's one thing I found most interesting about Vendetta is when Rebecca and Leon interacted, if only briefly. It is only natural to want characters you grew up with to develop and have more interpersonal relationships with one another who are all fighting for the same cause. It seems the new age RE fans could care less about all that though. They think RE is only about survival horror but if that were the case the franchise wouldn't have survived past the 2000's. There are good qualities in the more action titles as well. I will always look at RE1-3 as masterpieces while the others I can nitpick to death, but I try to find the good in all titles despite how I may feel about them. No game in the series is perfect, even our favorite ones.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Same hence my profile picture lol. That's one thing I found most interesting about Vendetta is when Rebecca and Leon interacted, if only briefly. It is only natural to want characters you grew up with to develop and have more interpersonal relationships with one another who are all fighting for the same cause. It seems the new age RE fans could care less about all that though. They think RE is only about survival horror but if that were the case the franchise wouldn't have survived past the 2000's. There are good qualities in the more action titles as well. I will always look at RE1-3 as masterpieces while the others I can nitpick to death, but I try to find the good in all titles despite how I may feel about them. No game in the series is perfect, even our favorite ones.
Yeah ı like the character interactions in vendetta too. I just dont care much for the core plot of it due to los iluminados somehow being revived, ı guess wesker would be behind it through benefitting them with his umbrella vision. Looking back it doesnt surprise me why infinite darkness went back to past since after re6's story, umbrella revival storyline pretty much takes over as the background lore for the next entries. I wished they just diminished off-screen.

But anyway ı would have preferred another character reunion game. Jill, claire, jake, sherry and ada will return. Jill and claire will have 2 female partners as new characters. There will be 2 new antagonists like re6's case. No recurring antagonist and no wesker's umbrella.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
When Spencer was ill in RE5, how come he didn't just return to Miranda so she could use her mould powers to restore his health? 😫

You see? That's a plot inconsistency, Capcom! 😃
Yeah ı dont like that either. Miranda's connection to spencer felt incredibly forced. Like ı said before, if they wanted to connect saddler and his cult to spencer and umbrella, then they should have done this right from start. Doing this with re engine as a way to make re4 more relevant doesnt work nor feels like a natural story progression. Same thing with hcf reference, ı guess the connections will be revealed to be wxc all along. They might as well make the family get taken down off screen at this point, ı wished that was followed up cause ı quite like re6's story and lore aspects.

Top Bottom