• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

I prefer Chris in RE8 to 7. I don't think the model they got for 7 looks anything like Chris from 5 and 6.

I hope Jill returns, and I know she will look older. She has to come back soon, before she really is too old. Not having her in any post RE5 game since 2009 is so meh.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I prefer Chris in RE8 to 7. I don't think the model they got for 7 looks anything like Chris from 5 and 6.

I hope Jill returns, and I know she will look older. She has to come back soon, before she really is too old. Not having her in any post RE5 game since 2009 is so meh.
I agree regarding the model but he still feels like a different character all along to the point ı think his appearances in re engine games are different bow clones imitating him.

As for jill, ı wouldnt mind seeing her again but ı still find claire more underutilized than jill. Jill already appeared at 3 numbered entries while claire never appeared at a numbered again after re2. I would have preferred to see a jill-claire team up but ı dont think it will happen.

A bit off topic, but still relevant to RE in general...

I see NemesisBiohazard from YouTube has gotten the hilarious RE rant videos deleted from Internet Archive. For a guy who claims his views still stand about Capcom as a whole, he sure doesn't want Capcom knowing about the times he flipped his lid and almost rage quit the franchise. But oh well.

I really used to like watching his content. He denies that other YouTubers didn't put him up to 'changing his ways' and whatnot. But he has been fortunate enough to gain special interviews with the voice actors, which he has published on his channel. Now all of his bitching only really occurs on Twitter and Twitch nowadays. But I miss the old Nemesis, when he was like a warrior.

Why do people suddenly change? 20 years in, and do I want to make changes just to appease others? Nope!

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
A bit off topic, but still relevant to RE in general...

I see NemesisBiohazard from YouTube has gotten the hilarious RE rant videos deleted from Internet Archive. For a guy who claims his views still stand about Capcom as a whole, he sure doesn't want Capcom knowing about the times he flipped his lid and almost rage quit the franchise. But oh well.

I really used to like watching his content. He denies that other YouTubers didn't put him up to 'changing his ways' and whatnot. But he has been fortunate enough to gain special interviews with the voice actors, which he has published on his channel. Now all of his bitching only really occurs on Twitter and Twitch nowadays. But I miss the old Nemesis, when he was like a warrior.

Why do people suddenly change? 20 years in, and do I want to make changes just to appease others? Nope!
Yeah ı know that channel. I watched a re engine 1 video and remember commenting on it where ı was expressing my dislike for the game's story. I havent checked his videos for a long time though. I dont care for reviews like how ı used to. I mostly watch gmv ones for re series. Most of the ones showcase cutscenes from re6 which work very well for these type of videos.

Much like how you enjoy RE6, I love Revelations 2. I feel like it has a great balance of horror, puzzles, and action. I don't care for puzzles, but at least having them included made it unique, because old RE games always had puzzles, apart from the shooters, but even they felt more like RE than 7 and 8.

I like the throwbacks to RE1 and CV. I think it was about time we got Barry back, and it happened in such a big way where Claire returned, and it was all interconnected, and she had a good relationship with his daughter.

RE3 not having Barry return for a small but important role in the remake was pretty dumb, as the canon ending was always supposed to be the one where he rescued Jill and Carlos.

I reckon RE4 will not have too many aspects cut out, basically because 4 is classed as being the generally accepted peak of the series. So they'd want it to be mostly correct. So why they did not fulfill that for 2 and 3 but maybe 4, feels kind of biased.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Much like how you enjoy RE6, I love Revelations 2. I feel like it has a great balance of horror, puzzles, and action. I don't care for puzzles, but at least having them included made it unique, because old RE games always had puzzles, apart from the shooters, but even they felt more like RE than 7 and 8.

I like the throwbacks to RE1 and CV. I think it was about time we got Barry back, and it happened in such a big way where Claire returned, and it was all interconnected, and she had a good relationship with his daughter.

RE3 not having Barry return for a small but important role in the remake was pretty dumb, as the canon ending was always supposed to be the one where he rescued Jill and Carlos.

I reckon RE4 will not have too many aspects cut out, basically because 4 is classed as being the generally accepted peak of the series. So they'd want it to be mostly correct. So why they did not fulfill that for 2 and 3 but maybe 4, feels kind of biased.
I agree about that. I also think rerev2 balances action and horror well. Honestly ı think it's the only entry that does this. Rerev tries to do this but ı find the execution strange there but ı also like that game as well. I'm still not into their " More horror to please the action complainers " selling point but ı wouldnt mind if they did rerev3 as a sequel to re6 storywise. I dont think it will happen though.

And yeah re4 is quite popular and ı can see very easily that re engine version will be more faithful to re4 than re engine raccoon games compared to re2 and re3. All re engine doing is to keep producing re4 remakes while reimagining the past storyline at the same time.

It is not just RE, though. Any horror franchise with at least 6 or more parts always ends up dumb.

* Leprechaun
* Alien
* A Nightmare on Elm Street
* Saw
* Friday the 13th
* Child's Play
* Scream
* Halloween

Most of the early entries are fine, but then they get incredibly stupid later on. Not to mention remakes, etc.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It is not just RE, though. Any horror franchise with at least 6 or more parts always ends up dumb.

* Leprechaun
* Alien
* A Nightmare on Elm Street
* Saw
* Friday the 13th
* Child's Play
* Scream
* Halloween

Most of the early entries are fine, but then they get incredibly stupid later on. Not to mention remakes, etc.
I havent played those but other than resident evil, the other long running series ı'm into are god of war and devil may cry. I saw some footage from the new god of war game but ı didnt play it just like 2018 one. Personally ı think the storyline ends well at gow3. As for dmc, ı find dmc5 a return to og storyline, even if ı find special edition disappointing.

Puzzles should definitely have more consequences for failing such as killing the player like how Rev2 did with that turret lazer room and the 4 way doors during the escape sequence in Episode 3. I feel that was a step in the right direction for how puzzle-eque like rooms are handled. RE1 had a similar one with the shotgun but it could have been fleshed out a lot more. After repeated playthroughs of the games they mostly get tiring and I wish they were more randomized like in OG RE3. I feel I am one of the few who actually grew to like those more overtime for that simple fact alone.

I wish capcom would release a game having 2 campaigns and 4 characters. Each campaign having 2 Scenarios like A and B. So total 4 scenarios. The characters should be Chris-Jill and Leon-Claire. Both campaigns using Zapping system for their A & B scenarios.

Puzzles should definitely have more consequences for failing such as killing the player like how Rev2 did with that turret lazer room and the 4 way doors during the escape sequence in Episode 3. I feel that was a step in the right direction for how puzzle-eque like rooms are handled. RE1 had a similar one with the shotgun but it could have been fleshed out a lot more. After repeated playthroughs of the games they mostly get tiring and I wish they were more randomized like in OG RE3. I feel I am one of the few who actually grew to like those more overtime for that simple fact alone.
I love the idea of randomised puzzles. I wish RE series had random puzzles in every game, random item placements and random enemy placements. There should be a random mode

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I agree regarding 4 doors but ı'm personally not a fan of the turret laser puzzle that much. It's unnecessarily nerve-wracking and even following the footsteps with flashlight, there's a good chance they might still kill you which happened to me a few times. I think they fit for the more adventure based games but for the more action oriented ones, ı would rather they focus on combat-setpieces-drama as much as possible.

As for randomization, ı think it fits to re3 and outbreak games well but the more action oriented ones flow better as being more streamlined in this aspect. Re5 jill's dlcs have that and it gets annoying to not find sniper rifle earlier on due to randomization factor.

I wish capcom would release a game having 2 campaigns and 4 characters. Each campaign having 2 Scenarios like A and B. So total 4 scenarios. The characters should be Chris-Jill and Leon-Claire. Both campaigns using Zapping system for their A & B scenarios.
I think this is what re engine 2 should have done. It should have had 2 scenarios for claire and leon as well as 2 more scenarios for sherry and ada. Having 2 claire and 2 leon scenarios feel redundant. I dont mind zapping being cut but ı wished they connected to each other like re6's campaigns.

I love the idea of randomised puzzles. I wish RE series had random puzzles in every game, random item placements and random enemy placements. There should be a random mode
You should try the randomizers they have for the classic RE games on PC. REmakes in particular is excellent and I used to do drinking games with a friend racing them haha.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
From pre-4 entries, my favourite puzzles are the painting ones in re1 and recv. The one in remake is also good but not as much as the ones in those 2 games. I dont remember any in re2 and ı find the water sample puzzle in re3 tedious. Re0 has that hilarious one at the start that involves math, ı remember seeing some being stuck there cause they dont know math or they forget to pick up the keycard. Outbreak games had some neat ones. With re4 and onward, ı prefer the games to be focused on action-setpieces-drama as much as possible and re6 is the one that does this and therefore it's the one ı find myself going back to the most.

You should try the randomizers they have for the classic RE games on PC. REmakes in particular is excellent and I used to do drinking games with a friend racing them haha.
I have seen RE remake randomizer but it makes the game too difficult. When developers do it they design it when it just right difficulty. I wish they would do something new for New game plus. Changes to new game plus with advance enemies early will be great.

Zapping system is unique to RE Series only. I haven't seen it any other games. I wish they would bring it back. It will increase the replay value too.

I watched NightCrawler on YouTube playing RE8, and he got bored quickly because of the factory. 🤖

Yeah. That part is pretty monotonous.
I hated it too. Even on NG+ plus i ran out of ammo. I hate it when developers takes away our arsenal and makes us use turret gun. RE 4 is great in this sense that it never takes away our arsenal and never forces us to use turret gun.

I will second that, screw turret sections in any game really. They feel more like rail shooters which is one of my least favorite genres. Having to control your fire so the gun doesn’t overheat is not fun nor does it add depth to the gameplay. I want complete control of my character at all times so I can avoid danger, not just stand there like an idiot and take hits.

I will second that, screw turret sections in any game really. They feel more like rail shooters which is one of my least favorite genres. Having to control your fire so the gun doesn’t overheat is not fun nor does it add depth to the gameplay. I want complete control of my character at all times so I can avoid danger, not just stand there like an idiot and take hits.
Exactly. Character should be in complete control from start to end and not forced to put away items or forced stealth sections. I hate stealth. I liked in RE1 remake and original RE2 enemies like lisa and tyrant don't follow you.

Top Bottom