• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

If Capcom wants to appeal to new gamers with these remakes, and they add Wesker to RE4, then how about remaking RE1 in the same style then so that teenagers today can understand the plot?

For what it's worth, you kind of have to act like remakes are not linked to other games, which means newcomers will only know who Wesker is from checking out links about him online. So you are meant to treat RE2 and 3 as being modern. But the original RE1 remake is from 2002 and therefore not so modern anymore. Yet it's the game that introduced Wesker.

I just think it makes no sense to remake the games out of order the way they've decided to do so, as they really ought to consider the fact that youngsters today who are heavily into third person shooters, Fortnite and all kind of stuff, may not want to play the 2002 version because it may feel dated, unappealing, or something to that effect.

As sad as that may sound, of course, I'm just thinking of what to do for their current marketing plan.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
If Capcom wants to appeal to new gamers with these remakes, and they add Wesker to RE4, then how about remaking RE1 in the same style then so that teenagers today can understand the plot?

For what it's worth, you kind of have to act like remakes are not linked to other games, which means newcomers will only know who Wesker is from checking out links about him online. So you are meant to treat RE2 and 3 as being modern. But the original RE1 remake is from 2002 and therefore not so modern anymore. Yet it's the game that introduced Wesker.

I just think it makes no sense to remake the games out of order the way they've decided to do so, as they really ought to consider the fact that youngsters today who are heavily into third person shooters, Fortnite and all kind of stuff, may not want to play the 2002 version because it may feel dated, unappealing, or something to that effect.

As sad as that may sound, of course, I'm just thinking of what to do for their current marketing plan.
I dont think capcom cares about the plot like they used to during sugimura's and suga's eras. All they are doing is producing re4 remakes as off-springs from corps to benefit wesker's umbrella. A good portion of the fandom also says that, they dont seem to act like fans of the storyline from my understanding but act like game design elitists due to their " rules " about " survival horror " .

Yeah. I did think RE8 was too suspiciously like RE4. They just altered the order of the areas a little so it was done slightly different. But I know they're struggling to keep the series going. They don't want to admit that they don't have good writers on board anymore.

I really think Chris was only in the games because he's the main character. He has a purpose in CV. He saves Claire. The story builds up to his arrival at the cliff. But in 7, it's like they got near the finish line and saw that there wasn't really anything of old RE installments in the game. It really came across as forced.

8 is worse. Chris just shows up and shoots "Mia" in the house. No explanation required. I hated how they made up that story as some kind of dumb hook to keep you interested. Because when the reveal occurs, it doesn't feel very satisfying.

And where did the tank come from!? 😏

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah. I did think RE8 was too suspiciously like RE4. They just altered the order of the areas a little so it was done slightly different. But I know they're struggling to keep the series going. They don't want to admit that they don't have good writers on board anymore.

I really think Chris was only in the games because he's the main character. He has a purpose in CV. He saves Claire. The story builds up to his arrival at the cliff. But in 7, it's like they got near the finish line and saw that there wasn't really anything of old RE installments in the game. It really came across as forced.

8 is worse. Chris just shows up and shoots "Mia" in the house. No explanation required. I hated how they made up that story as some kind of dumb hook to keep you interested. Because when the reveal occurs, it doesn't feel very satisfying.

And where did the tank come from!? 😏

Look at this. I found it and it's one of the few times where the person knows what he's talking about.

This is what ı mean when it comes to stupid re6 haters acting like morons. They go ahead and downplay the high quality put into the game while insulting the person. Only to praise the worthless re engine. Particularly 2017 and 2019 games.

A good portion of those re6 haters seem to love re4 and ı still cant wrap my head around that. I personally like both games a lot and both of them succeed at what they aim. But all garbage re engine does is keep doing the same thing. It's like they turned the series into cod or micheal bay, where they do the exact same thing over and over.

Re6 felt like the best progression the series ever had but saying this on a popular place would probably result trolls flocking in towards one like insects.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Capcom essentially made RE8 their answer to Silent Hills being canned.

LOL.
Same thing with 2017 game. It's just a cheap ripoff of fear, amnesia and outlast. Doesnt feel like bio in any capacity while featuring random nobodies along with a dumbass mold that does things just cause it's an origin non-virus organism that behaves " realistic " somehow.

RE4 feels like a reboot of the franchise. It barely has anything to do with the previous games. If you play CV then 4, they don't even feel linked. You can tell 5 and 6 are like 4, and the same with the two Revelations games. They all feel kind of similar. Then 7 feels like another reboot, to cash in on the popularity of first person games, as you say.

I am glad they're not killing off Chris any day soon, but they've honestly severely reduced his epicness in the series. I miss the old Chris that defeated Alexia, Wesker and the Tyrant. He's just such a joke of a character now. As if he's just in the games playing the clean up crew because they wouldn't have anything remotely RE like if he was absent.

I feel like Capcom has almost made RE into a completely different series, because they just do not feel like RE games how I played them in my youth. They feel like basic horror games now with subtle ties to everything that came before. But that's about it.

Each new game feels convoluted. They basically re-used assets from the main game to do DLC for RE8, because for some reason it wasn't planned from the start. Then I was a bit excited to find out if Ethan survived. Then they used the same ending, because you learn that the "Shadows of Rose" chapter predates the ending of the main story. So Ethan is revealed to be just a memory.

What a wet fart of a conclusion. Now that RE8 has came out, just don't reference it any more in future games, Capcom. It's probably my least favourite entry now. A dull P.T. rip off and a RE4 wannabe.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
RE4 feels like a reboot of the franchise. It barely has anything to do with the previous games. If you play CV then 4, they don't even feel linked. You can tell 5 and 6 are like 4, and the same with the two Revelations games. They all feel kind of similar. Then 7 feels like another reboot, to cash in on the popularity of first person games, as you say.

I am glad they're not killing off Chris any day soon, but they've honestly severely reduced his epicness in the series. I miss the old Chris that defeated Alexia, Wesker and the Tyrant. He's just such a joke of a character now. As if he's just in the games playing the clean up crew because they wouldn't have anything remotely RE like if he was absent.

I feel like Capcom has almost made RE into a completely different series, because they just do not feel like RE games how I played them in my youth. They feel like basic horror games now with subtle ties to everything that came before. But that's about it.

Each new game feels convoluted. They basically re-used assets from the main game to do DLC for RE8, because for some reason it wasn't planned from the start. Then I was a bit excited to find out if Ethan survived. Then they used the same ending, because you learn that the "Shadows of Rose" chapter predates the ending of the main story. So Ethan is revealed to be just a memory.

What a wet fart of a conclusion. Now that RE8 has came out, just don't reference it any more in future games, Capcom. It's probably my least favourite entry now. A dull P.T. rip off and a RE4 wannabe.
Re4 still felt like a progression compared to re engine though, ı just wished they connected saddler and his cult to spencer and umbrella as well as plaga also being connected to progenitor. Playing the entries through both release and timeline order, re4 felt refreshing to play but ı dont feel the same about corps and moon. They just feel cheap unlike re4-re6 era that's fun to play.

I gave up thinking anything will get resolved...

I hope RE9 at least makes an attempt at it. But I can see it being like The Walking Dead where they say it's ending, only to continue it with future games anyway. That's why I lost interest in The Walking Dead, as its a primary example of a series that wears thin after coping through so many seasons.

I mean, I love RE. I wouldn't truly want it to end. But it's gotten pretty stupid over the last several years. So they need to do something to keep us interested.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I gave up thinking anything will get resolved...

I hope RE9 at least makes an attempt at it. But I can see it being like The Walking Dead where they say it's ending, only to continue it with future games anyway. That's why I lost interest in The Walking Dead, as its a primary example of a series that wears thin after coping through so many seasons.

I mean, I love RE. I wouldn't truly want it to end. But it's gotten pretty stupid over the last several years. So they need to do something to keep us interested.
I love the series too but ı think it should end at this point. I dont think anything they do will bring back my interest to play the games starting from corps and moon era. I want to go back and play re engine 2 since it was gifted to me but when ı try it, ı think " Why am ı not playing something else? I can play re2, recv, darkside chronicles, re4, rerev2 and re6 while having much more fun with those. " . I can only stand to claire's 1st run cause the other runs are unbearable.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I have no intention of replaying any of the RE Engine era games either.
I wonder what game engine they will rely on after moon. It just feels like a massive downgrade compared to mt framework which was utilized best in re5 and re6 ı think. Those games pushed the lore forward through bioterrorism while offering a lot of replay value. Meanwhile re engine just plays to the trends and keeps producing re4 remakes while reimagining the past storyline at the same time. With the next game engine, ı'm assuming this recycling will be repeated again.

I'm actually more excited about what Konami is doing with the Silent Hill series. It could be because the games have been dormant for over a decade. But I think it's because my general enthusiasm for RE has depleted. I'm just not a huge fan of it anymore.

I feel like RE9 will come out and I'll hear that it was copying some game by X developer. A game from the previous year.

This is the pattern...

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I'm actually more excited about what Konami is doing with the Silent Hill series. It could be because the games have been dormant for over a decade. But I think it's because my general enthusiasm for RE has depleted. I'm just not a huge fan of it anymore.

I feel like RE9 will come out and I'll hear that it was copying some game by X developer. A game from the previous year.

This is the pattern...
I'm more curious about the next dmc game. Dmc5 was a return to form after the reboot but ı find the special edition disappointing. Dmc4 and reboot had better special editions.

A remake of Alone in the Dark is in development, and that's the series that basically inspired Capcom to make RE1, along with their own Sweet Home.

RE hasn't been scary in years because you have too much ammo, and the only time you were helpless in RE8 was in the house. Otherwise, what was so scary about the game? Nobody was even scared of Lady Dimitrescu. They all found her hot, and I think once the other bosses got revealed, you saw how stupid the whole storyline was.

As a game to play to kill a bit of time in 2021, it served its purpose well. But I don't like it enough to play it again.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
A remake of Alone in the Dark is in development, and that's the series that basically inspired Capcom to make RE1, along with their own Sweet Home.

RE hasn't been scary in years because you have too much ammo, and the only time you were helpless in RE8 was in the house. Otherwise, what was so scary about the game? Nobody was even scared of Lady Dimitrescu. They all found her hot, and I think once the other bosses got revealed, you saw how stupid the whole storyline was.

As a game to play to kill a bit of time in 2021, it served its purpose well. But I don't like it enough to play it again.
I have to disagree with that a bit. I dont find the series really scary, more threatening if anything, mostly from story / lore aspects as well as monster designs. I played the games a lot and a lot of the limitations from pre-4 entries elitists praise as " True horror / survival horror " come off more annoying if anything. Neither iwao nor mikami consider them as " rules " for survival horror nor this is even considered that way by sugimura. Re4 and re5 also had those despite their more streamlined approach but re6 really felt the most streamlined from adventure elements while pushing the action / drama style to its limits. Then with re engine, those outdated aspects are brought back due to dumb criticisms made for re6, particularly for 2017 and 2019 games, they really feel outdated compared to previous entries during sugimura's and suga's eras. I only played re engine 3 once and ı have no desire to touch re engine village. All they do is keep producing re4 remakes very repetitively. No wonder remake and re4 are losing their uniqueness while being portrayed more and more overrated.

I'm more curious about the next dmc game. Dmc5 was a return to form after the reboot but ı find the special edition disappointing. Dmc4 and reboot had better special editions.
I wish we get a DmC game where we can play as Dante from start to end. No character switching any point of the game.

Top Bottom