• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

Even Capcom are the biggest fanboys of RE4.

Did you notice how 4 had less content removed than 2 and 3 combined? Like, sure. Things were changed. But I never noticed it nearly as much.

Yeah. That's called saving your bacon. :p

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Even Capcom are the biggest fanboys of RE4.

Did you notice how 4 had less content removed than 2 and 3 combined? Like, sure. Things were changed. But I never noticed it nearly as much.

Yeah. That's called saving your bacon. :p
I still cant believe they included some of the things from og game only to remove things that doesnt make sense to be removed. Like ı just dont understand why shooting range minigame is included for example, ı never liked in og game and from what ı've seen it's worse here. Meanwhile the way ashley and ada are handled is even worse than og game.

Yeah. I didn't recall Leon even questioning Ada about her involvement with Wesker. That to me made no sense, as Leon was supposed to be fully aware of this partnership, even if it wasn't properly explained in the original game either. Now they've made it make even less sense somehow.

Fortunately for us, we don't consider these garbage ass remakes to be canon anyway. I'm tired of having the franchise milked this much, because with all the time they waste on old storylines that clear up nothing, we could have gotten a good online game, another Revelations game, or even a new numbered entry.

Maybe the remake of RE4 is a good game for the gameplay, but the dialogue was so cringey, and I think it was a missed opportunity in some aspects.

I hated how they tried to keep it faithful as much as possible, yet they never thought to do this for the two games that are genuinely survival horror classics. 2 and 3. Because I don't really consider 4 to be a horror game. In fact, all of the shooting made me nauseous. Yet I think they see 4 as being special.

It just proves that after 4 came out, Capcom changed their attitude forever. Which I mean, we all know is the case.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah. I didn't recall Leon even questioning Ada about her involvement with Wesker. That to me made no sense, as Leon was supposed to be fully aware of this partnership, even if it wasn't properly explained in the original game either. Now they've made it make even less sense somehow.

Fortunately for us, we don't consider these garbage ass remakes to be canon anyway. I'm tired of having the franchise milked this much, because with all the time they waste on old storylines that clear up nothing, we could have gotten a good online game, another Revelations game, or even a new numbered entry.

Maybe the remake of RE4 is a good game for the gameplay, but the dialogue was so cringey, and I think it was a missed opportunity in some aspects.

I hated how they tried to keep it faithful as much as possible, yet they never thought to do this for the two games that are genuinely survival horror classics. 2 and 3. Because I don't really consider 4 to be a horror game. In fact, all of the shooting made me nauseous. Yet I think they see 4 as being special.

It just proves that after 4 came out, Capcom changed their attitude forever. Which I mean, we all know is the case.
Yeah the encounter between leon and ada in the castle is so generic compared to og game. I thought re2r was bad in regards to their relationship and with re4r, it's even worse. Wesker also appears at the end, babbling his plan to ada like an arrogant fool. It's almost as if re5's events happened here and wesker still decided to spout a bunch of nonsense just for the sake of it. If this is the point of umbrella and wesker revival starting with ucorps, then no thanks. I'll keep sticking to sugimura's and suga's writing eras.

Capcom is pulling a Disney storywise with these recent RE games. My investment in the lore up until 2015’s Rev2 is pretty much where it stops at this point. I was still intrigued by what RE7 was trying to do at the time but was Last Jedied by RE8. The reimaginings did not do the OG stories justice, RE:4 is no exception. I don’t get why they keep remixing and changing lore around when it serves no purpose to do so like with Operation Javier which was basically retconned.

RE4 never had the greatest storyline but the characters and their charm really carried the original. In the remake the performances are off putting in a lot of instances. You barely see Salazar at all. Ada and Wesker are simply awful and they didn’t even try to keep them faithful to their old voices. I was baffled that they kept some of the worst segments as well but they did improve on the fun factor of them.

Moving forward with RE, I will simply enjoy the games for what they are because I still think this is one of the better ones when it comes to the gameplay. This is one of the much harder RE games and the situations the enemies put you in can be unreal at times. It’s more like an Evil Within game to its approach which is ofc ironic because Mikami. My battle at the crane segment on the island was insane.

RE:4 proves the more action orientated side of RE is still very much alive and has an audience that desperately wants it. After 6 years of clunky slow paced Ethan games this is a welcome change.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Capcom is pulling a Disney storywise with these recent RE games. My investment in the lore up until 2015’s Rev2 is pretty much where it stops at this point. I was still intrigued by what RE7 was trying to do at the time but was Last Jedied by RE8. The reimaginings did not do the OG stories justice, RE:4 is no exception. I don’t get why they keep remixing and changing lore around when it serves no purpose to do so like with Operation Javier which was basically retconned.

RE4 never had the greatest storyline but the characters and their charm really carried the original. In the remake the performances are off putting in a lot of instances. You barely see Salazar at all. Ada and Wesker are simply awful and they didn’t even try to keep them faithful to their old voices. I was baffled that they kept some of the worst segments as well but they did improve on the fun factor of them.

Moving forward with RE, I will simply enjoy the games for what they are because I still think this is one of the better ones when it comes to the gameplay. This is one of the much harder RE games and the situations the enemies put you in can be unreal at times. It’s more like an Evil Within game to its approach which is ofc ironic because Mikami. My battle at the crane segment on the island was insane.

RE:4 proves the more action orientated side of RE is still very much alive and has an audience that desperately wants it. After 6 years of clunky slow paced Ethan games this is a welcome change.
Do you think capcom will make re5r and re6r? Re5r is pretty much guaranteed to happen, especially due to it being the best selling game in the series. Re6r might not happen since they didnt do recv and heavily changed operation javier in re4r. If it ever will, ı assume the only thing that would be faithful to og game would be leon appearing as well as the game being inspired by one of cgi movies released after suga's movies. I never gave it through that thought but ı'm getting the feeling that infinite darkness might be an inspiration for re6r or something. Death island might also be an inspiration for re5r as well as re6r.

I've accepted that my dream RE game with horror isn't gonna happen. The guns feel terribly weak now, but the storylines and the faceless main hero (Ethan) isn't my idea of an epic survival horror adventure.

I don't know. They just made it too convoluted. That's why I don't even give a damn anymore. They're content to just do more remakes, and sequels and animated tie-in media, occasionally.

Capcom set themselves on a path for remaking 5 and 6. Despite the criticisms, they are still among the best selling, so it’s a no brainer for them to do. CVX will mostly likely be handed to M-Two since Division-1 will be working hard on numbered entries.

A side note on RE:4; The guns actually sound good now that there is a volume adjuster for them in the options. There are a ton of options like Last of Us 2.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Capcom set themselves on a path for remaking 5 and 6. Despite the criticisms, they are still among the best selling, so it’s a no brainer for them to do. CVX will mostly likely be handed to M-Two since Division-1 will be working hard on numbered entries.

A side note on RE:4; The guns actually sound good now that there is a volume adjuster for them in the options. There are a ton of options like Last of Us 2.
I didnt know that in regards to volume adjuster. How does it work exactly? Does it increase or decrease the sound of the guns or something? Or does it simply add new effects?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Increases volume output so they don’t sound like air soft guns anymore like in RE:2.
I see. I still looked up to how the guns sound though and they all sound pretty much the same with very few differences. The shooting doesnt sound as satisfying as re4 as well re5 and re6 imo. It might be better than previous re engine games ı suppose.

One of the silliest things I believe Capcom said, was that they toned down the horror in RE8 because 7 was too scary. That's absolutely crazy and likely made up lies, in my opinion.

The core appeal of RE should have always been survival horror and not the action hockum that RE4 and post RE4 games became hated for. But they just went with action gaming thereafter because that would sell more units. So they tricked us by saying they were going back to horror, just to say that the feedback for 7 was what set the course for RE8 having more action style gameplay. Crappy excuses about how casual pussies lied and said it was too scary, so RE8 is essentially a RE4 clone. In fact, only Ethan's parts in 7 are horror. Once Shemp-field shows up, they take everything back to the action.

I don't think even Capcom knows what they want anymore. They knew if 8 went back to action without a logical explanation as to their decision, they'd be asked why that happened. So I reckon they made this up.

One of the silliest things I believe Capcom said, was that they toned down the horror in RE8 because 7 was too scary. That's absolutely crazy and likely made up lies, in my opinion.

The core appeal of RE should have always been survival horror and not the action hockum that RE4 and post RE4 games became hated for. But they just went with action gaming thereafter because that would sell more units. So they tricked us by saying they were going back to horror, just to say that the feedback for 7 was what set the course for RE8 having more action style gameplay. Crappy excuses about how casual pussies lied and said it was too scary, so RE8 is essentially a RE4 clone. In fact, only Ethan's parts in 7 are horror. Once Shemp-field shows up, they take everything back to the action.

I don't think even Capcom knows what they want anymore. They knew if 8 went back to action without a logical explanation as to their decision, they'd be asked why that happened. So I reckon they made this up.
It has to do with Japan culture as they are not familiar with Texas Chainsaw and Evil Dead, so they pooped their pants. Add in the decapitation's which is also highly censored in Japan and I can understand why they reduced the horror elements in RE8. The advertisements with the hand puppets should of been a red flag how silly and over the top RE8 was going to be.

This is also the reason why they cut out the falling head in RE2 when the first Licker shows up, as there was a murder going on at the time involving beheading's. This also applies to disaster games involving earthquakes and such like Disaster Report where they will censor or outright ban the game from their country.

I give Striking Distance Studios credit for not wanting to censor Callisto, but it most likely hurt their sales for the game when they refused to adhere to Japans demands to censor the game.

Last edited:
Yeah. I remember that. :D

RE8 tops all for the most zany boss battles and standard enemies. Dragons. Babies. Robots. Dolls. Mannequins. Werewolves. Vampires. Knights.

It's daft.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Does anyone else feel like ashley's playable section in re4r is inspired by revillage? She cant even defend herself unlike og game where she could throw lanterns at cultists to kill them, now she picks a lantern and from what ı've seen it seems to stop armaduras? I'm surprised they are kept in the game, ı thought they would have been cut. I'm not even bothered at u-3's removal as much as many do.

Does anyone else feel like ashley's playable section in re4r is inspired by revillage? She cant even defend herself unlike og game where she could throw lanterns at cultists to kill them, now she picks a lantern and from what ı've seen it seems to stop armaduras? I'm surprised they are kept in the game, ı thought they would have been cut. I'm not even bothered at u-3's removal as much as many do.
Yeah, the blue light lantern she finds can stop them temporarily. Just think of Moira's flashlight in Rev2 as a reference.

Top Bottom