• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Franchises are always at their best in their infancy, but I agree that 2012 or maybe 2015 was the last great year for RE games.

With the exception of the RE4 remake, they have been rather shitty and forgettable in our modern era.
I can see that. Yeah during 1996-8 release year dates, the iconic cast of 1st 2 games were introduced where they later made appearances in future stories. And re3 concluded raccoon while also introducing epilogue files that play part in future stories, particularly for re6. I still think re6 is the game that expanded pre-4 storyline the most.

Now that we're in 2023, I have kind of lost hope to see Billy Coen return. I am rather curious to learn of his fate, but Capcom takes too long to resolve aspects to their own series.

We didn't even really find out if he was innocent. When the Africans are being executed, you don't get a good enough look at the man's face who orders the gunfire.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Now that we're in 2023, I have kind of lost hope to see Billy Coen return. I am rather curious to learn of his fate, but Capcom takes too long to resolve aspects to their own series.

We didn't even really find out if he was innocent. When the Africans are being executed, you don't get a good enough look at the man's face who orders the gunfire.
He was considered to be added to infinite darkness once but the idea was scrapped. I dont think he'll return either. Neither will jake imo. A billy-jake team up just like rebecca-sherry team up would have been interesting.

Besides the Revelations games, I think they should consider an animated Netflix series, that can specifically focus on long forgotten (at least by Capcom) characters. Like those we have mentioned.

I don't know how they could be returned into the games, particularly the main numbered ones. By this point, I worry the series will lose the horror appeal if it becomes too crazy with overpowered characters. So like Leon, I don't mind them being used in other mediums that are still canon.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Besides the Revelations games, I think they should consider an animated Netflix series, that can specifically focus on long forgotten (at least by Capcom) characters. Like those we have mentioned.

I don't know how they could be returned into the games, particularly the main numbered ones. By this point, I worry the series will lose the horror appeal if it becomes too crazy with overpowered characters. So like Leon, I don't mind them being used in other mediums that are still canon.
They tried a netflix series with infinite darkness and honestly the result is quite boring. I think the whole idea of iconic characters not being used in numbered games or in chris' case with re7 and revillage, given much less screentime to make the new cast shine with " horror " excuse on top of that doesnt make much sense to me. They created ethan and he doesnt even feel like a proper character, in fact he feels like the least humanized protagonist of the series. Even before the whole plot twist reveal of revillage, he was already losing limbs and blocking chainsaw attacks with his arms. He doesnt even properly react to his surroundings as much as a normal human would. With re engine, it seems they want to go towards a more gritty or realistic type of direction and the result is even more opposite against that. They feel less like japanese tokusatsu shows adapted into the games but more like westernized live action films adapted into the games instead. Personally ı still would prefer the less popular characters to be utilized in numbered games rather than films that in the end arent playable unlike games. If ethan can get 2 pseudo re4esque demos to himself, then ı think they can bring any less popular character from the past if they want but they choose not to.

I felt like Chris had no "fit" with the story in 7, or 8. Just seemed like Capcom conjured up some poor man's Stephen King wannabe writer to base a story around both Ethan and a veteran character. Chris, of course.

But, really. If Chris was not in these games, it would barely matter. Ethan could have just blown himself up and Mia could have saved the day. But then people would say it's not RE because one of the OG people wasn't involved.

You can kind of tell Capcom's creativity in this era is ass sauce.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I felt like Chris had no "fit" with the story in 7, or 8. Just seemed like Capcom conjured up some poor man's Stephen King wannabe writer to base a story around both Ethan and a veteran character. Chris, of course.

But, really. If Chris was not in these games, it would barely matter. Ethan could have just blown himself up and Mia could have saved the day. But then people would say it's not RE because one of the OG people wasn't involved.

You can kind of tell Capcom's creativity in this era is ass sauce.
You know that actually sounds like a better idea. As much as ı dislike mia, playing as her more than ethan and killing him as a mutated monster while playing as her would have been far more interesting. I feel like she has potential but they dont want to do much with her as seen with revillage where she gets captured and locked somewhere only for miranda to become not-mia. She was already playable in re7 but in revillage she isnt playable. There could have been more backstory involved for her that would tie to umbrella storyline, making her connected to christine henry could have been one.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont like that ada still didnt appear in a story without leon either. Leon gets multiple stories set in new locations that dont involve ada in their plots but ada still didnt get this benefit. She was already mentioned in the 1st game that doesnt even have leon but after re6, she still didnt appear in a new story.

Now that Ethan is gone, we can say goodbye to all the goblins and ghouls, and finally get back to the blue Umbrella story that 7 started off.

Yeah. Ada hasn't been in any storylines for a decade. Jesus, we are old. 😬

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Now that Ethan is gone, we can say goodbye to all the goblins and ghouls, and finally get back to the blue Umbrella story that 7 started off.

Yeah. Ada hasn't been in any storylines for a decade. Jesus, we are old. 😬
I still wished they returned to the virus storyline in the new game stories but they dont. Bringing back umbrella through a revival that got continued from re4 starting with ucorps only to not utilize a virus for the cause of the outbreak still doesnt make much sense to me. Just a repetitive way to keep producing re4 demos instead that feel much more like direct adaptions to it. If wesker would come back, it would be nice for him to be taken care of in a story that would involve ada without chris or leon too but ı dont think capcom has the interest for that.

Same here. But I seldomly feel like talking about it on other forums. Many of them have little activity regardless. But I guess you know what we would be in for if they discussed specific titles.

Like, if you told people on some unmoderated forum that RE6 is your favourite game, 98% of the users would probably have a field day with us.

I basically told them about RE8 ripping off Konami, and the Silent Hill vibes are strong. I don't think they're even RE fans anyway. But then they say it was paying homage, I take it too seriously, or something like this, probably because they know I was right. But I honestly think people who say that are either clueless, or they're damage controlling. :(

I kind of lost interest in trying to be right, even when I knew I was. I felt like I tried to open up their eyes to Capcom's ways, and they didn't want to change their mind. So I do not talk about it much anymore. I more or less put in my time on the subject. :D

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Same here. But I seldomly feel like talking about it on other forums. Many of them have little activity regardless. But I guess you know what we would be in for if they discussed specific titles.

Like, if you told people on some unmoderated forum that RE6 is your favourite game, 98% of the users would probably have a field day with us.

I basically told them about RE8 ripping off Konami, and the Silent Hill vibes are strong. I don't think they're even RE fans anyway. But then they say it was paying homage, I take it too seriously, or something like this, probably because they know I was right. But I honestly think people who say that are either clueless, or they're damage controlling. :(

I kind of lost interest in trying to be right, even when I knew I was. I felt like I tried to open up their eyes to Capcom's ways, and they didn't want to change their mind. So I do not talk about it much anymore. I more or less put in my time on the subject. :D
Yeah ı know. The hatred bandwagon for re6 is one of the many reasons why ı prefer to not be active as other popular places where the fandom is more active. The more the series continues, the more depressive and weary ı become from the fandom on the internet. Many of them come off like they are blinded by nostalgia according to survival horror and canon debates along with the so called " remake " bandwagon, especially when capcom goes ahead and utilizes re engine as a way to produce pseudo re4esque demos with less than half content. Re2-3r particularly are quite barebones re4 demos with raccoon skin on top of them and even before revillage, re7 already felt more like a direct adaption of re4 than the games released before it. I facepalm when some go ahead and use that " return to roots " buzzword as a way to keep claiming statements like " More re than 4 / 5 / 6. " , " Most re entry since the 1st game. " , " Return to survival horror. " etc. I dont like survival horror debates and ı dont like canon debates either. I'm still angry over the fact that capcom made reorc not " canon " to the storyline but somehow ucorps and re engine games are? I feel that reorc fits into the storyline better than ucorps and re engine games do. I just feel like reorc was given more effort and care both as a game as well as writing than ucorps and re engine games, even if it was rushed. I used to hate the game and ı didnt enjoy its gameplay at the time but over time the game grew on me and just like re6, ı cant stand to the hatred bandwagon for reorc either, even when ı dont give the game as much thought as re6.

I don't know why they always go back to Raccoon City either, as there's like a billion different movies and stuff about the same things. But ORC could have been a big budget spin off that's canon, had Capcom cared. I think they also screwed up with the RE2 DLC. They could have gave every side character including Ghost and the sheriff, a proper story mode, leading up to the mayor's daughter being killed by the chief of police. And even if they all died, it would have still been something worth a damn, and I think fans wouldn't have felt cheated.

But no. The RE3 DLC was apparently their master plan all along.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I don't know why they always go back to Raccoon City either, as there's like a billion different movies and stuff about the same things. But ORC could have been a big budget spin off that's canon, had Capcom cared. I think they also screwed up with the RE2 DLC. They could have gave every side character including Ghost and the sheriff, a proper story mode, leading up to the mayor's daughter being killed by the chief of police. And even if they all died, it would have still been something worth a damn, and I think fans wouldn't have felt cheated.

But no. The RE3 DLC was apparently their master plan all along.
I agree. I also think that going back to raccoon with the way it's done in re engine is boring. I wished they progressed from og storyline too, in this case, progenitor virus and its family variant. But re7 and revillage arent even virus stories and just like re4, they feel disconnected to the past storyline. I dont like ghost survivors either, it's quite pointless, they could have made extreme battle mode with more playable characters but they chose not to. I can still understand not including it since it wasnt in og release of re2 before dualshock version and onward but not including it only to release a separate extra game mode still doesnt make much sense to me. With re3r, ı'm even more baffled by the absence of mercenaries, more so when revillage and re4r have it but re3r still doesnt. Rather than wasting time with that game as well as even re2r, they could have made resistance a much more fleshed out game instead. I think resistance had potential but just like ucorps, it's still not given enough care it should have been. All ı remember from it is seeing spencer and alex, the latter who should have appeared in a new story after rerev2. Again resistance could have been this through a new story that would be more centered around alex after the events of rerev2 but capcom still wastes their time for pointless content.

Yeah, and altering the race of the characters makes for a real head scratcher of a time.

If Sheva is African, you couldn't get somebody from Alaska to play her. Their casting decisions are truly pitiful.

But I think Capcom knows people just follow them anyway. I still see dumb posts on other forums with people saying RE never gets milked, and then this guy seemed a little offended because I said that. And they said the current era is the best to date. 🤣

No, son. It does get milked. :p

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah, and altering the race of the characters makes for a real head scratcher of a time.

If Sheva is African, you couldn't get somebody from Alaska to play her. Their casting decisions are truly pitiful.

But I think Capcom knows people just follow them anyway. I still see dumb posts on other forums with people saying RE never gets milked, and then this guy seemed a little offended because I said that. And they said the current era is the best to date. 🤣

No, son. It does get milked. :p
I thought you werent going to post to other places? You still continue to reply to those and ı dont understand why. Again ı think you should leave those places alone, especially since negative things can easily appear in any popular places on internet, mainly when disagreements might arise where insults would be thrown between others.

I am quitting after Tokyo Game Show. So one more month shouldn't hurt... much.

I know what you mean. It's not just when you're talking about RE games, either. It's anything you just so happen to post about that has somebody ready to reply with jive.

If you talk about women being seedy, you're apparently another incel. But I'm sure a lot of men feel the same.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I am quitting after Tokyo Game Show. So one more month shouldn't hurt... much.

I know what you mean. It's not just when you're talking about RE games, either. It's anything you just so happen to post about that has somebody ready to reply with jive.

If you talk about women being seedy, you're apparently another incel. But I'm sure a lot of men feel the same.
Is that where do you think ada's playable scenario for re4r would be announced? The longer it takes for her playable scenario to be established, the bigger chance ı might get disappointed at it. I dont really feel like ada from a writing standpoint is given as much care as she should have been, in fact she's becoming one-dimensional unlikeable bitch rather than a deep character with a lot of aura surrounding her. I still dont dislike va choices for them, ı dislike her writing in re2-4r more instead. It makes me lament the absences of both sugimura and suga who expanded the character as much as possible. Suga particularly seemed to be a really big fan of aeon's romantic relationship as seen in the interview for damnation but in re2-4r, the characters' relationship feel stripped as far as their personalities go and their writing dont connect to their future appearances at all. They can give her as much new designs as they want, ı still dont think those will help for her writing in any capacity.

It could be, provided Capcom are on the card. Although I'm more interested in knowing what Konami has lined up, because the lack of news for Silent Hill is really something else.

Ever since those vague trailers appeared about a year ago by this point, the updates have been severely few and far between.

Top Bottom