• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Regardless of who I pick as a Vice Presidential running mate, that VP running mate will raise a great deal of questions from American voters who play BioHazard: RE games. That's exactly why my VP running mate is mandated to play at least 1 BioHazard: RE game even prior to a Vice Presidential debate!🧠🎮🗳️:LOL:
A story question about re6. Can you see hunk working in the game's story? He's another re2 character who's missing from the game's story along with claire. I was never bothered that much from him missing during the game's story unlike claire, he always felt more like a side character compared to other playable cast in re2, even including chris in extreme battle mode.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I am curious to know what missions Hunk undertook after RE2.
The last time he appeared in a story was him being mentioned in recv. Other than that, he was always utilized more as a cameo type of character. I feel like he could have also worked in rerev's story since one of the trailers show him but then he, along with lady hunk, appear in both raid modes instead. In ucorps, they also hint at 3a7 being hunk but ı personally dislike that game along with the protagonist.

A story question about re6. Can you see hunk working in the game's story? He's another re2 character who's missing from the game's story along with claire. I was never bothered that much from him missing during the game's story unlike claire, he always felt more like a side character compared to other playable cast in re2, even including chris in extreme battle mode.

To say the least, HUNK did REtrieve 1 sample of the G-Virus. In a small way, he made it possible for the Chrysalid Virus to manifest.

If The 4th Survivor scenario is poetically anything to go by however, HUNK was as disposable as the Bio-Organic Weapons manufactured by his own employer. HUNK was even pursued by a Tyrant-103. I like to imagine that the Umbrella Corps Campaign mode is a spiritual REmake of The 4th Survivor. In the Campaign mode of Umbrella Corps, the player character EA-7 was treated as expendable as the Bio-Organic Weapons manufactured by his employer🧠🎮

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
To say the least, HUNK did REtrieve 1 sample of the G-Virus. In a small way, he made it possible for the Chrysalid Virus to manifest.

If The 4th Survivor scenario is poetically anything to go by however, HUNK was as disposable as the Bio-Organic Weapons manufactured by his own employer. HUNK was even pursued by a Tyrant-103. I like to imagine that the Umbrella Corps Campaign mode is a spiritual REmake of The 4th Survivor. In the Campaign mode of Umbrella Corps, the player character EA-7 was treated as expendable as the Bio-Organic Weapons manufactured by his employer🧠🎮
I dont think the sample hunk obtained reached to the government though. Simmons gained access to g-virus through sherry, hunk's sample was utilized by umbrella's paris branch to develop t+g virus in dead aim instead. It's never revealed that t+g virus was obtained by the government either, all of the samples were stolen by morpheus and he along with his facility exploded with the samples being gone in the process. Idk if it's possible for christine henry to develop more t+g virus samples and send them to the government but she also gets forgotten.

And yeah ı agree that the experiment mode of ucorps feels like a spiritual successor to 4th survivor in both re2 and umbrella chronicles. To me the game, just like rerev2, also feels like a re6 dlc due to recycling assets but a lot less polished than both of those games. If ucorps was given the care and respect by the development team who worked on it, ı would have considered it a proper addition to the series but as it stands, ı simply cant and my dislike for the game also makes me dislike reach for the moon in the process.

I dont think the sample hunk obtained reached to the government though. Simmons gained access to g-virus through sherry, hunk's sample was utilized by umbrella's paris branch to develop t+g virus in dead aim instead. It's never revealed that t+g virus was obtained by the government either, all of the samples were stolen by morpheus and he along with his facility exploded with the samples being gone in the process. Idk if it's possible for christine henry to develop more t+g virus samples and send them to the government but she also gets forgotten.

And yeah ı agree that the experiment mode of ucorps feels like a spiritual successor to 4th survivor in both re2 and umbrella chronicles. To me the game, just like rerev2, also feels like a re6 dlc due to recycling assets but a lot less polished than both of those games. If ucorps was given the care and respect by the development team who worked on it, ı would have considered it a proper addition to the series but as it stands, ı simply cant and my dislike for the game also makes me dislike reach for the moon in the process.

In fairness, the t+G Virus was engineered between 1998-2002 in the narrative timeline. If CapCom's own narrative timeline is anything to go by, Derek Simmons began his Chrysallid-Virus Project in 2001. Conclusively, it's safe to say that the Chrysallid Virus was influenced by the preceding t+G Virus.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
In fairness, the t+G Virus was engineered between 1998-2002 in the narrative timeline. If CapCom's own narrative timeline is anything to go by, Derek Simmons began his Chrysallid-Virus Project in 2001. Conclusively, it's safe to say that the Chrysallid Virus was influenced by the preceding t+G Virus.
That makes sense however the sample hunk obtained still didnt reach to the government. It's possible that christine henry could have developed more and send the samples to the government, they could have been utilized as a way to enhance c-virus which carla does with jake's blood later. I definitely agree that c-virus in re6 is quite influenced by past viruses, particularly g, t-veronica and t+g viruses. To me re6 still has the story which showcases progenitor's potential the most.

I honestly don't know where to post this, I tried to post a dedicated Resident Evil 4 thread, but it was merged into the dedicated Impressions thread...? I'm trying to follow rules, but here's me trying my bite here...

If "a picture is worth a thousand words", then the scene of Ada Wong collapsing from a metal bridge is ironically the height of narrative nonsense in this franchise. Way to contradict The Umbrella Chronicles and The Darkside Chronicles, CapCom!🧠🎮:LOL:
ada-wong-derpface.gif

With RE:6 it wouldn’t surprise me if they made all 4 campaigns feel disconnected from one another or it being severely cut back like RE:2. Maybe even cut out campaigns entirely. Capcom likes to take the cheaper route in parts of development so they would focus on making it a more slow horror experience. The Manuela connection to RE6 also has seemed to be retconned as no mention of her is present in RE:4. This is a hint to me that it will most likely be heavily reimagined like RE:3.

Right now RE:CV, RE9, and especially RE:5 will most likely come out before they even consider revisiting RE6 in the future.

I agree about that but ı'm still wondering about the plot of re6r's possibility, it's the most story heavy game in the series. Re2r didnt feel like it connected to re6, sherry's free of g-virus and they also dont show leon becoming a government agent to ensure sherry's safety. Even in re4r, they dont delve into leon-sherry's relationship that much other than showing 2nd run ending and still manage to contradict operation javier.

The plot points ı'm wondering whether they will be cut or not are simmons love lusting ada, carla becoming ada due to simmons' pursuit of recreating her soul, g and t-veronica combination, the family, neo umbrella and even jake's wesker connection. I've seen a lot asking for a " reboot " for re6r, ı suppose the game would be made for the people who disliked it, particularly its ambitious plot? Between re5-6r, ı think the latter would turn out a lot less faithful especially since many plot aspects from it cause nothing but disliking from what ı've seen. It didnt even receive or sell well as much as re4 and re5 despite being the fastest selling title.

And yeah ı wonder about the campaign connection aspect too. Re2r didnt have that properly so re6r wouldnt have it either ı guess?

The major plot twist is that CapCom has zapped and REzapped us into sensory overload about the canon of this franchise altogether!🧠🎮:LOL:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
If "a picture is worth a thousand words", then the scene of Ada Wong collapsing from a metal bridge is ironically the height of narrative nonsense in this franchise. Way to contradict The Umbrella Chronicles and The Darkside Chronicles, CapCom!🧠🎮:LOL:
View attachment 2092
I dislike that scene. They lazily combined scenes from re2 in re2r, now rather than shooting t-103 in the back and causing it to drop into lava pool, ada rams rpd van into the monster instead. It doesnt even mutate the monster nor it fully mutates later. Even the kiss scene is lazily handled with a lot less emotion than both re2 and darkside chronicles. The game is an incredibly messy trainwreck storywise.

Sharks have been part of this franchise since the very first game, which is exactly why I REcently decided to REuse a meme of my stuffed animal shark as an avatar for the biohaze forums!🧠🦈:LOL:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I still cant believe they've been hiring western writers to work on the scripts starting with re7. It's the most forced way to pull a paul w.s. anderson move ı've ever seen. Re2r particularly has one of the writers hired from one of mortal kombat movies which seems to be disliked and yet the game still received well. I've seen suga being unfairly disliked due to being hired to work on re6 after cgi movies and darkside chronicles and yet many still gloss over re2r's western gritty movie type of feeling at the same time. It just makes me dislike paul w.s. anderson more.

When I tell people elsewhere that things like living dolls in RE is dumb and whatnot, it's like they're in the land of bliss. But RE4 and RE8 are silly games. 🥴

Well, action tops all in their mind. Oh well. 😔

When I tell people elsewhere that things like living dolls in RE is dumb and whatnot, it's like they're in the land of bliss. But RE4 and RE8 are silly games. 🥴

Neither did I expect living dolls but because those living dolls were controlled by a parasitic organism, we'll give CapCom credit for adding a thematically biohazardous flavor to give those living dolls RElevance in this franchise!🧠:LOL:

To take a temporary vacation from the canon talk, here's a +30 minute extension I made to a masterpiece song from BioHazard: RE Umbrella Corps!🎶

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I miss the tokusatsu inspiration for the previous entries deeply. Starting with re engine where they've been hiring western writers as a way to develop more " grounded " or " realistic " scripts, part of the charm and fun from past get lost in the process. It feels more like a way to develop pseudo re4esque demos to pander to the game's fandom, particularly the ones who dont seem to care about storyline that much. Both remake and re4 lose their uniqueness over time as capcom continues to produce more re4 remakes / reimaginings / reboots with re engine. I wished the series actually ended cause ıdk how long it's gonna continue.

Well, I don't consider the modern remakes canon, so I see them as a waste of time, and a huge disgraceful slap in the face of the classic era of horror gaming.

The only games I see as official are the 2002 remake, every spin off except maybe Operation Raccoon City and Project Resistance, the sequels, and the new material you play in the Wii shooters, and the animated stuff and comics.

Not the werewolf one. Basically, whatever ties into the games. Heavenly Island, etc.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Well, I don't consider the modern remakes canon, so I see them as a waste of time, and a huge disgraceful slap in the face of the classic era of horror gaming.

The only games I see as official are the 2002 remake, every spin off except maybe Operation Raccoon City and Project Resistance, the sequels, and the new material you play in the Wii shooters, and the animated stuff and comics.

Not the werewolf one. Basically, whatever ties into the games. Heavenly Island, etc.
I think reorc gets too much unnecessary hate. I used to dislike the game but over time ı've grown appreciation for it. I still dont like the gameplay but in terms of background lore, ı actually like it. Still dont like the option of killing leon as well as fighting ada as a boss fight but it has its moments. I still cant believe the game is set in a different universe than capcom's official one, to me re engine entries could have been also set that way just like reorc but they arent.

Top Bottom