• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

Yeah. I really think their ideas in the games now are very... odd. Like when Heisenberg turns into that machine, or the living doll toying with you. It was as if Capcom didn't know what they wanted the game to be, so they just made it as "interesting" as they could with various themes, as opposed to giving a logical RE like experience. Because I think a lot of fans, even the die hard ones, have issues accepting this is a mainline entry.

I've never gone back to it, because it's rather stupid.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Sherry wanting to be adopted and getting a puppy right after her parents died in RE:2 gets a 0/10 for delivery and execution. That dialogue shouldn’t have been in the game and was one of the most cringe lines I ever heard in an RE game. The way Darkside complimented Claire A/Leon B scenario ending was done beautifully and had impact when Leon told Sherry what happened to her parents.

Now the developers are all just LIOLIOL! we don’t know anymore, have some tone deaf storytelling. -Capcom Division 1
Yeah the 2nd run ending is really weird. That being said, ı dont mind sherry not caring about their parents, especially since they didnt care much for her due to them being obsessed with their work however sherry crying over her mom is unnecessarily dramatic. Following it that with the ending feels really off due to that.

Claire b in og re2 also had this problem. It showed sherry crying over her mom only for her to be happy and not bring her again. Showing her crying over her mom just doesnt feel that necessary due to this.

I agree that darkside chronicles handles it better. Sherry learns the truth at the end and cries cause she doesnt like her mom and doesnt believe to leon's words. Claire also cares and mentions her brother at the end which ties into recv better and leon's re3 epilogue is adapted well at the end.

In re2 2019, these dont happen. Claire never mentions chris at the end, sherry is somehow free of g-virus which would get her killed by the government since she wouldnt be a valuable test subject anymore and there's no way leon would be forced to work with the government, if anything he would be willing to join on his own. And that's if he wouldnt get killed by fbi like sherry since both of them know important truth about umbrella. Not to mention that's not even usstratcom that's mentioned in re2 2019, the game changes ada's cover with that whole fbi stuff which leon is interested in. So when re:4 would happen, leon would be a fbi agent if re2 2019 is considered to be followed.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
And those scenes got cut out of the remake.

So much for all that "REmake is so amazing because it cuts away nothing and only expands upon what is already there" bullshit.

Barry was supposed to have two different death scenes, where both of them comes with parting words from Barry to Jill.
But the remake cuts it to Barry going "OOF" as he comically gets boinked into a pit, with his family photo magically lands where he once stood.
Another change that bothers me is library. It's so bad in remake. You have a forced boss fight there with yawn and it causes one of the books to drop even though it would be more interesting if it could be explored like og game and be obtained through that way. The door knob is also broken for some stupid reason and there isnt even a window that you can look through to see the helipad. And a file is cut.

Another change that bothers me is library. It's so bad in remake. You have a forced boss fight there with yawn and it causes one of the books to drop even though it would be more interesting if it could be explored like og game and be obtained through that way. The door knob is also broken for some stupid reason and there isnt even a window that you can look through to see the helipad. And a file is cut.
The library used to have a second room, which is where you will find a unique puzzle required to unlock the first possible MO Disk.
Instead of a location for you to explore around, the library is now hollowed out into a "boss room" and nothing else.

The heliport lookout is not just a window but a secret room altogether.
The Director's Cut version of RE1 even added a crow attack for that room.
In the remake, they simply removed the room.
It might have something to do with how they reimagined the mansion layout, where the heliport may not be visible from the library anymore.

I do miss the crows. I don't understand why they left out the spiders, yet the dogs were kept in. I mean, the movie reboot even has infected birds in it. So what was this on their part? Laziness, or something?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı found out that damnation ( And ı'm assuming other cgi movies as well? ) is deleted from netflix. I remember seeing something like this being mentioned on twitter. Thankfully ı have the 1st 2 ones downloaded to my pc. Now ı'm at damnation after finishing re5 and biohazard the stage. I'll continue my marathon once ı will have more free time.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

So ı've recently found this. Interesting, didnt know this before. Will take this into account during my future plays of the game.
I've figured another easy trick to dispatch these head mutations. If you shoot them with a weak weapon like handgun or smg on their orange weak spot after they open their pincers while they are preparing to attack; they will be stunned instantly for a coup de grace. This is important since they can recover faster from light stun compared to normal j'avos.

This can also help in mercenaries since time bonus can be acquired easier with this compared to quickshot and slide combo or other attacks that consume stamina in order to stun them.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Being that it's 1 April, I expected a prank on here. :p

I know you guys don't hang like that. But I am eager to get some news soon.
Yeah ı dont like 1 april jokes either. They are terrible.

I also saw a post called " controversial hot take " on reddit which gives the feeling that it's created just to bait people to trick into saying things that could be seen as 1 april jokes to some.

These " unpopular opinion " posts get created all the time. They are really repetitive.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

So ı just found this interview. I read it fully and one specific part got my attention:

" —They acted as a kind of restriction that people enjoyed. Restrictions have become an irrevocable part of gameplay. "

" Mikami: Yeah. I think that's something we should re-consider, and it wasn't intentional. I wince when people tell me that the poor controls in Resident Evil helped contribute to the sense of dread and horror… because that wasn't my intention. It was kind of embarrassing, and when journalists would ask me questions like "How does it feel to sell a million copies?!", my honest feeling was, "Well, not that great." And the more interviews I did, the more depressed I got. As a creator, putting my work out into the world was it's own reward. "

He said this and yet people still think the outdated design of older games, at least the ones before outbreak games, are intentional genius work that adds to " horror " somehow when they are considered to be forced limitations added into the games. With re4 and re5; they wanted to get away from these aspects and with re6; they finally succeeded by making the game really different from past ones in terms of design and people just complained more and more about the game and how it somehow " betrays " the so called " roots " ... Only for capcom to try to please those people by making re7 designed more similar in terms of past games and it seems that they succeeded since a good portion of the fanbase praises re7 and this is one of the reasons. I find it massive step down from re6. Reimaginings arent much better either, especially re2 2019. ( Didnt play revillage so ı cant speak for that one nor have the interest that much. )

This is another thread that's created on the game's steam discussion board. Like it's so generic.

I also want to drop some specific posts:

" The original vision of survival horror died after RE0 and the Outbreak games. "

" RE7 at least brought back some of the gameplay elements and structure from a classic RE experience, which is more than 4, 5, 6 and Village did. "

" Killing monsters was part of the classic RE experience, but so were inventory management, exploration, backtracking, planning ahead, searching keys and solving puzzles while figuring a way out. "

" I can list things I've seen people complaining about:

Pacing.
Linearity and level design.
QTEs and explosions galore.
Vehicle chases/battles.
Filler sections.
Lack of exploration.
Dumbed down resource management.
Fixed loadouts.
Downgraded weapon/inventory management compared to RE5.
Skill system.
Unbalanced melee combat.
Messed up plot and storytelling.
Enemy designs.
Camera issues.
Time-scripted battles/sequences.
Unbalanced PvP modes.
...And even more, that I don't necessarily agree with. "

It just proves my point that some people are surely blinded by nostalgia and still want that generic design aspect of those older games. The last one especially just makes up things as it goes. I already debated those criticisms made against re6 before and the same ones are still made. Granted some people also voice against criticisms there but still.

I think ı would be more passionate for future if they continued from re6's loose ends storywise and made another ambitious passion project like that, especially if it meant both director and writer returning. I would like to see more games designed like re6 but ı dont think that's gonna happen. I also miss sasaki and suga so much.

To be honest, all the RE games have both horror and action. It's a natural progression for characters to be muscle for hire, after they endure an ordeal. But people often shit on RE4, 5 and 6 are being too focused on action. But that's what every franchise leads to when you re-use the heroes.

I do not know where RE would be today, had they not made sacrifices.

I think RE7 was a great start to bringing the general tone back to the origins, but they did kind of imitate too many scenes from movies. It doesn't feel very original when they do this, but it's fun to spot the reference. Remember, Shinji himself loves 70s horror movies.

“We listen to the fans” is perhaps the worst sentence to come out of an RE developers mouth. What fans? There’s too many different types of fans to cater to, so by them saying that is ridiculous. They made 3 different play styles for RE so it makes no sense what they are even talking about. It’s like listening to a politician, at some point you learn to tune them out because all they speak is lies and false promises.

I don’t want them to promise us anything, they need to find that passion for RE that can bring back meaningful storylines that don’t toss main characters to the wayside. I don’t mind passing on the torch, but it should be done in a meaningful way if they want to use new characters.

RE2 for example was a big risk back in the day introducing a brand new set of characters, so it can be done again.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think 2010s had good amount of high points. Darkside chronicles, re6, damnation and marhawa desire are my favourites which feel peak re in a lot of ways. Biohazard the stage is also underrated as well as a very unique production. I havent played mercenaries 3d so ı cant speak for that one but rerev and reorc, while not being the biggest fan of them, are still decent. I also like rerev2 but not as much as ı used to, same thing with heavenly island. After that though, yeah the series isnt that interesting anymore except maybe vendetta due to its entertaining action. That alone makes it better than infinite darkness which is really boring.

I wished they continued from re6's loose ends but despite saying this over and over in the past, it will never happen.

After the backlash that RE shouldn’t have action made them do a complete 180 back to horror… for at least one game lol. The fact that they went out of their way to make RE8 “less scary” makes no sense either. So when you match these two statements up; “going back to the roots” and “less scary” it makes Capcom look like a misguided developer who has no vision and conflicting interests just like the fandom.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
After the backlash that RE shouldn’t have action made then do a complete 180 back to horror… for at least one game lol. The fact that they went out of their way to make RE8 “less scary” makes no sense either. So when you match these two statements up; “going back to the roots” and “less scary” what in the hell are they talking about!?
Re7 has plenty of action as well. Yes it has plenty of those old games' adventure elements ( exploration, inventory management etc. ) that fans put on a pedestal but as the game progresses, it becomes much more action oriented. And one shouldnt forget not a hero and end of zoe dlcs as well which are extremely streamlined in these adventure elements but they also dont have combat variety like in re6. And ı never liked people criticising games for their action either. As said previously the entries were always a mix of action and horror.

As for revillage, ı never played that but ı find it weird that they wanted to please the " too scary " complaints regarding re7... By making an entire section where your weapons get taken away for no real reason and all you can do is run and hide. Then after you're done, you get back your weapons somehow. And the game is meant to be more action packed and yet chris' playable section is so short while being included in ethan's story along with its combat and its variety lacking compared to re6.

While ı'm not a big fan of the gameplay of both games, the thing that bothers me more is their story which feel lacking as well. Apparently umbrella revival plot is continued from past but ı dont find it that interesting either. Though ı'm curious what will happen ( They might try to revive wesker as well. ) but ı dont feel that passionate about playing more upcoming entries anymore. I would rather stop at re6 and keep playing that instead.

Yeah. The part where Ethan loses his gear makes no sense at all. I got a lot of P.T. vibes in that part of the game. But otherwise, the game wasn't scary, felt like RE4 too much, and was cheesy.

Also, Dusk Golem posted on Twitter about cut merman type creatures from RE8.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont trust dusk golem personally.

But anyway since re7 is discussed, ı found this image from a facebook group:

278064687_10159100972858380_5798405206626394044_n.jpg

The comments made to it are cringe. Especially the people who praise the game by bashing re6 to death. They dont even know how to praise it. More reasons why it's my least favourite from main numbered entries.

I would have liked RE7 more if they actually let us see Ethan's face, like how we seen Ark. But otherwise, the game is still good. It really showcased the capabilities of the VR headset. But it also didn't feel like a RE game, due to how different it was overall.

If you took out the references and "Redfield" and all that, it's basically a game that feels like a spin off title that they numbered.

After all, it was out 8 months after they announced it. Other games still had numbers, but felt like RE. For the first time, we had a completely different type of gaming experience.

If you play RE6 and then RE7 back to back, 7 is lightyears away from 6.

Top Bottom