• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

The Evil Within was Mikami’s swan song as a director so that is why it had so much going for it. The story is not even that complicated compared to other games like Kingdom Hearts and movies like The Matrix.

One of my favorite parts in the game was in the city level where you had to swim across deep water with monsters; having to shoot hanging bodies to distract them.

Bruh, this thread just lacks better judgment and research.

Jun Takeuchi made it very clear that he was not trying to please any fans with Biohazard 7, unlike the case when he was working on Biohazard 5. This was his personal vision that he intended.

And since some people were uncomfortable or scared to play the game, this feedback was taken into account eventually.

You basically have a problem with people liking a game that you didn't like. Or a problem with how people don't like a game that you like. Whatever words you write and no matter how much you write it, the core of thought is the same.

How much longer does this have to go on? Jesus, people.

People like variety in RE games, but RE7, while I can admit, it is good, I felt it just wasn't able to hold a candle to past RE games. Didn't really feel like a RE game either. Like we so often said, 6 and 7 have one returning character, but these games are the polar opposite to each other in terms of their overall presentation.

It's not just because of how Chris looks either. They basically do not feel remotely related. This is certainly a noticeable issue with a lot of games today, where they put in an iconic character so it can be passed off as a sequel, but they keep getting different actors that look odd or don't sound peefect, and you just get to the point, where you don't feel like being a big supporter of the series, as you once were. The storylines are absolutely disjointed as well. At least with older RE games, they were way more interconnected.

I thought it was good that Capcom realized horror was where RE truly found its foundation, and not action. Even if the two genres are definitely there.

But to me, I felt as if Capcom just took a bunch of ideas from popular horror films, and put the RE name on it. That's okay and all, but then if people notice this, it feels like Capcom was cheating by imitating other people's ideas. They copied other games before.

Many people were not keen on RE6 when it came out, but that's weird, because 6 feels like more of a RE game than 4 and 5 do, and actually has better controls. But most fans didn't like it and generally see it as the worst mainline game, sans a few fans. So at the end of the day, you cannot satisfy everyone when they alter so much.

Many people were not keen on RE6 when it came out, but that's weird, because 6 feels like more of a RE game than 4 and 5 do, and actually has better controls.
If what you and some other people feel were the center of the universe, then such a reaction would be weird, yes. How can people feel otherwise if my feelings are true, right?! They must be stupid if they don't accept the truth!

But no, your feelings are not the center of the universe, and they live only in your head.

And if you learn about the concept of pluralism of opinions, you will find that other people may feel things differently. Like you. And in this case, everything you have written will not seem weird even to you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand your point. It's a widescale acceptance that RE6 was never as well received by the MAJORITY of game critics, etc. Just because some people do enjoy it, that doesn't change from the fact that the criticism for it left it underrated, and therefore, not a critical success. And yes, 6 is the only RE game with complete freedom to move and shoot. In even RE5 from 3 years beforehand, you still had to stand still and fire.

It would also be like if you hated Silent Hill 2, which SOME feel is overrated and it's the first one they prefer. But again, they're probably a part of the small percent who disagree that 2 is the best one. Since the grand majority view 2 as the highlight of the franchise.

This is why Wikipedia pages for games have a reception section.

I'm not sure I understand your point.
I mean, I can clarify.

People like variety in RE games, but RE7, while I can admit, it is good, I felt it just wasn't able to hold a candle to past RE games. Didn't really feel like a RE game either.

Many people were not keen on RE6 when it came out, but that's weird, because 6 feels like more of a RE game than 4 and 5 do, and actually has better controls.
Me and other people just don't feel things that way, so there's nothing weird about it.

It's a widescale acceptance that RE6 was never as well received by the MAJORITY of game critics, etc.
And it's not true. You can open any aggregator and see that most of the ratings of Resident Evil 6 are positive. The game still has fans all over the world, and many still play it.

Just because some people do enjoy it, that doesn't change from the fact that the criticism for it left it underrated, and therefore, not a critical success.
I see that The Evil Within is also underrated for you? But how to understand it? If I don't like this game and I've had a bad experience with it, am I somehow misjudging it? Are my preferences and evaluation criteria wrong?

People buy games and play them to have fun. If they're not having fun, why should they rate something the way you want it?

Most of my complaints over the whole RE series, is not really directed at the gameplay, but the storylines. They haven't had any coherency to them for decades now. I think RE4 or 5 were the last good ones. 6 and Revelations 2 are also pretty good, but feel more self-contained. The rest, is so forgettable. But again, that doesn't make me in any way right. It's just my opinions. I have, however, been right about them copying other games. Video proof is normally provided, so I can back up my posts. So then it's not so deniable.

I may give the impression that I'm trying to dispute your or someone else's opinion about the games here, but that's not my intention. It's totally OK when you express an opinion and share your experience, whatever it may be. Do you think that Resident Evil 7 doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game? Fine. Do you think that the modern control system is better than the old one? Okay.

And if things stayed that way, I definitely wouldn't be picky. But as you can see, I'm picky now. Even being offended by the feedback of some fans is one thing, but when you folks mention developers and spread misinformation by projecting some things onto them, it's just wrong.

Yama

Owner
I think RE:2 is the closest the series has ever come to pleasing all sides. Classic, action, etc. It plays true to the conserve to survive classics while meshing in modern controls that make any restriction feel fitting. It’s a nearly perfect take on refreshing an old formula. How this isn’t the golden standard going forward is beyond me, there should have never been another style to come after it imo. If there was to ever be an online game ala OB, this engine would fit it perfectly as well.

For better or worse, Capcom always wants to experiment and try something new. Therefore, personally, it is difficult for me to divide the games of this series into eras or categories, because they are all different and have different designs.

Even the second game was a departure from the formula of the first, which is why Kamiya and Sugimura expected that not all fans would like it. And this is not to mention the rest of the games in the series.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Did anyone play remake on other platforms other than the ones where its hd remaster is available on?

I played the wii version on dolphin emulator and the experience felt a bit more enjoyable than hd remaster one.

Gameplay was still the same, kinda obnoxious due to bullet spongy zombies, annoying crimson head system as well as some other weird game design choices which makes it a massive step down from re1, re2, re3 and recv in my eyes but its graphics, despite obviously being step down, were more charming.

Idk why but the hd remaster feels like it kinda takes away some of the charm of the previous versions. All it has really is a not well implemented alternate control scheme and re5 lin costumes even though face animations from what ı remember feel awkward.

The one that bothered me even more about hd remaster is the changed versions of some tracks. In the wii version, the tracks made more sense when they played and felt more fitting. So ı think ı enjoyed the track of remake's wii version more than hd remaster one.

I also played re0 wii version on dolphin emulator but after playing that; its hd remaster doesnt bother me as much as remake's. In fact ı actually prefer re0's hd remaster over its other versions. One major reason for that is leech hunter minigame. Apparently in older versions; you have to beat the minigame multiple times to obtain separate ranks which would make separate unlockables. In hd remaster; this isnt required cause if you get the highest rank on 1st playthrough; you would also get the unlockables on lower ranks.

But anyway; ı still enjoyed re0 wii version which ı liked more than remake and ı even played it additional times to test the unlockables. Still love that badass magnum revolver; it's way better than remake's which cant even decapitate zombies on a constant basis like how magnums in previous games can.

Regardless ı think ı will play remake and re0 on dolphin emulator from this point on rather than playing them through steam. One reason for that is dolphin emulator has cheat option built for the emulated games. I relied on those when ı 1st played them there and for remake; infinite ammo cheat will continue to be useful since it doesnt have an infinite ammo unlockable. While on steam; ı need separate trainers. Another is ı made unnecessary amount of save files due to playing the game normally and ı wanted to delete those but separately deleting them seems impossible. So instead of deleting them like what ı did for re4 on steam; ı wanted to start from stratch with their wii versions on dolphin emulator.

Last edited:

Yama

Owner
Did anyone play remake on other platforms other than the ones where its hd remaster is available on?

I played the wii version on dolphin emulator and the experience felt a bit more enjoyable than hd remaster one.

Gameplay was still the same, kinda obnoxious due to bullet spongy zombies, annoying crimson head system as well as some other weird game design choices which makes it a massive step down from re1, re2, re3 and recv in my eyes but its graphics, despite obviously being step down, were more charming.

Idk why but the hd remaster feels like it kinda takes away some of the charm of the previous versions. All it has really is a not well implemented alternate control scheme and re5 lin costumes even though face animations from what ı remember feel awkward.

The one that bothered me even more about hd remaster is the changed versions of some tracks. In the wii version, the tracks made more sense when they played and felt more fitting. So ı think ı enjoyed the track of remake's wii version more than hd remaster one.

I also played re0 wii version on dolphin emulator but after playing that; its hd remaster doesnt bother me as much as remake's. In fact ı actually prefer re0's hd remaster over its other versions. One major reason for that is leech hunter minigame. Apparently in older versions; you have to beat the minigame multiple times to obtain separate ranks which would make separate unlockables. In hd remaster; this isnt required cause if you get the highest rank on 1st playthrough; you would also get the unlockables on lower ranks.

But anyway; ı still enjoyed re0 wii version which ı liked more than remake and ı even played it additional times to test the unlockables. Still love that badass magnum revolver; it's way better than remake's which cant even decapitate zombies on a constant basis like how magnums in previous games can.

Regardless ı think ı will play remake and re0 on dolphin emulator from this point on rather than playing them through steam. One reason for that is dolphin emulator has cheat option built for the emulated games. I relied on those when ı 1st played them there and for remake; infinite ammo cheat will continue to be useful since it doesnt have an infinite ammo unlockable While on steam; ı need separate trainers. Another is ı made unnecessary amount of save files due to playing the game normally and ı wanted to delete those but separately deleting them seems impossible. So instead of deleting them like what ı did for re4 on steam; ı wanted to start from stratch with their wii versions on dolphin emulator.
I played it somewhat recently on PC, a far superior experience to Dolphin mainly due to community fixes.

RE Upscale Project greatly improved the backgrounds. OST fixes for original speed. Door skip mod. Those three elements alone make it the best available version, though admittedly it takes an extra step. KBM controls don’t hurt either, if you prefer it. Tank controls are perfect there.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I always play it on the GameCube. I don't think the HD release on the PS4 is formatted right. When it's put in full screen, you can see they just zoomed in to make it appear like it's in HD.
I tried to play its gamecube version along with re0's but ı found out that they have 2 discs. I dont like to play them that way, ı prefer wii version which is combined into 1 disc along with re0 which is also the same way.

I always play it on the GameCube.
Yeah, the console and the right TV are the best way to experience the game, in my opinion. Modern displays don't depict graphics the way it was intended, and even with the cool modification that Yama mentioned, you still see the contrast between assets and backgrounds. I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, the modification is really great.

Door skip mod.
Except for this part. :devilish:

I just happened to find out that Sony has another State of Play showcase scheduled for the 2nd of June, at 6 PM EST and 11 PM (my) UK time. :)

You never know. Something related to RE could be confirmed.

If I had to hazard a guess, DLC for RE8 (which is a year old) may be likely to be revealed at State of Play, with the remake of RE4 likely being reserved for a bigger event. Namely, Summer Game Fest.

At least, that would make more sense, giving how that's a way bigger game to boast of. ;)

Yama

Owner
I always play it on the GameCube. I don't think the HD release on the PS4 is formatted right. When it's put in full screen, you can see they just zoomed in to make it appear like it's in HD.
Yeah it’s a shame the assets were literally lost for REmake, legit one of the best and most beautiful games ever made. Zero on the other hand looks amazing in HD because they retained the assets and rendered them natively for it.

Top Bottom