• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I was thinking about rerev2 and ı wished they gave claire a sniper rifle during her episodes. I found it odd that you can unlock sniper outfit for her and yet she still cant have access to one other than one small part in barry's last episode. I mean they put an unnecessary shotgun in barry's last episode so it's more confusing that claire doesnt have access to a sniper rifle.

I also wished some of the weapons that are exclusive to raid mode were available in story. I would also prefer this to happen in rerev as well.

Reactions: MGr
Found two old magazines while cleaning some stuff out. The Re6 one was in great condition, while the Rev2 one was a bit tattered from me carrying it around with me when it came out. The Re6 one didnt have a lot of other games that I was interested in at the time, though Black Ops 2, Pokemon Conquest, Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Skylanders, Scribblenauts, and a Mario game did catch my interest. The article itself on Re6 is pretty good, though it spoils The Jake-Wesker plotline. The author seems to enjoy the game, though he does note the shift in gameplay may give some fans pause. It looks like the fourth campaign wasnt spoiled to the author, since he only mentions three campaigns. Near the end, he adds a quote from the producer, Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, on whether or not the game would have competitive multiplayer modes: "We understand that gamers out there enjoy a little player-versus-player action. We understand that it's important to them. While I can't go into any specifics, just know that we understand that it's an important aspect of gaming, so don't worry."

The Rev2 one had more games I was interested in, especially on the first page. Bayonetta 2, TTG Walking Dead season 2, Rev2 and HD Remaster of Remake (I mentioned them here and not Re6 in the last one because this one came out after I got into Resident Evil), Dying Light, Alien Isolation, Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros., and Fantasy Life. The magazine includes an interview of Masahiro Sakurai, the director of Smash Bros., as well as one of Anita Sarkeesian, who by virtue of being in the magazine reduces its quality. Anyway, the article on Rev2 was written by the same guy as the Re6 article, and he describes how he went to Japan and was allowed to play most of the first chapter of Claire's campaign, as well as ask the producer, Michiteru Okabe a few questions about the game, and also about Re7, which we knew nothing about at the time.
Rev 2 wroter Hiroshi Yamashita on Claire: "Although her comeback to the games is a long time coming, there was a CG movie, Resident Evil: Degeneration, that showed us Claire after the Raccoon City Incident. Revelations 2 takes place even further down the line - between Resident Evils 5 and 6. So we paid close attention to making sure that we protrayed Claire as a character who has grown even more as a person."
Okabe on whether or not Barry would be in the game: "Without giving away too much, I will say it is a good story for familial relations - parents and children. You'll glean a lot about these kinds of relationships in this storyline."
Okabe on the Afflicted: "The Afflicted were subjected to some sort of specific kind of torture that's basically driven them completely bonkers. They're insane now and extremely violent, going berserk. They are humans; they're not zombies. They are humand that have been pushed beyond their limits."
Okabe on the voice from the bracelet: "You won't recognize this character just by the voice, but this is a known character that's very important to ththe RE universe. Bug you've got to be a core fan to know her. Really hardcore."
Okabe was also asked if the treatment of women in games is changing with Rev2, to which he responds: "Yeah, that is deliberate. I think even though this takes place in a fantasy world, we've made an effort to keep things a little more on the realistic spectrum. Things that people actually wear in real life, and skew away from the cartoony things you see in other Japanese titles. We're making a concerted effort to avoid that with a lot of the stuff we're up to these days.
The middle of the article has a page for the HD Remastered Remake interrupting it, but the flow is fine.
At the end, the questions about Re7 was asked.

What did the reception to Resident Evil 6 teach Capcom about what players want?
"I think one thing that's become really clear is what people want out of the Resident Evil series is survival horror first and foremost. They want that to be the core of the gameplay. Anything we add above and beyond that is great and welcome, but it really has to have that core intact. I think the clearest lesson was what Resident Evil needs to do is not compare itself to, and try to compete with or try to be other big franchise. It needs to be itself."
Can fans expect a renewed emphasis on resource management and lethal enemies?
"That's one avenue it could go, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I think what we really need to do is take a serious look at what makes the series itself. Look at all the constituent parts - if resource management is important to survival horror, then why is it important, what does it mean, and what do these varying elements mean to the franchise? How can we then take that and work with modern technology? Since RE 6 we've got new consoles on the market. We have the potential for things like Oculus Rift and Morpheus. How do we take all these technological tools that are available to us and take the data we've learned from our careful analysis and really make something new and special?"
Could the next Resident Evil reboot the entire story for something new?
"Speaking personally, I think it would be cool to try something new. I'd be open to that, but I also want there to be some link to what's come before, rather than going completely from scratch."
Do you have a final message for the fans?
"The team back in Osaka spends a lot of time and a lot of energy thinking about what the future of the Resident Evil franchise holds. They're hard at work doing that. I can tell you that the engine we used for Resident Evil Revelations 2 is the 64-bit framework of MT Framework [Capcom's proprietary engine]. It's multi-platform and multi-generational. And to that, the Resident Evil franchise may be best served by a special, Resident Evil-specific engine."

Attachments

• 20220111_092020.jpg
    20220111_092020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220111_103311.jpg
    20220111_103311.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Cool interviews. Thanks for sharing them here. Though survival horror as well as " realism " talks there annoy me in it. Cant stand re6 reception either.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The realism bit is what bothers me the most, since the games have never really been about realism until relatively recently.
True. I feel like the games' values suffered due to that. It shows well on re engine games really. They feel lacking compared to re6 in many aspects imo.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı replayed finishing re3 right now. I played the game using cheat codes on an emulator ( I unlocked everything this way, including infinite ammo. ) and ı want to say that the game felt much more satisfying that way. Destroying nemesis with rocket launcher felt immensely satisfying. Also ı blew up nikolai's chopper this time, so immensely satisfying.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I've not played RE3 in years. But I am in the mood to, so I think I'll set up my PS2 later. ;)

"Another mutant!?"-Nicholai Ginovaef
You mean ps1? I dont think it's available on ps2. Though ı know that it's possible to play it on ps3.

Also ı saw your thread on gamefaqs:

I believe this belongs to you.

I doubt they even played the original RE games.

They can't play them, because of the...

Cha Z Dye Ah Log.
Fix Cam RAH Anne gulls.
Tanc con trolls.

Things we whole heartedly endorsed.

I think most of them started with RE4, 7, or the RE2 remake. I doubt half of the users there are 35. I will be 36 in under two weeks. :D

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı tried re4 on pcsx2 emulator after not being able to play it on steam due to the game not opening properly. And ugh, the game feels even more dated than it felt before.

It felt awkward and not so fun to play. The limitations really felt like an annoyance there, more than re2, re3 and recv's cases where they didnt feel as annoying as re4.

Also why would you aim with left stick? That doesnt feel right. I'm more used to aiming with right stick like how it can be done in re6 when ı played it on ps3.

The aiming sensitivity also felt slow and cumbersome. The issue that ı had with recv's sniper rifle and dead aim's gameplay came into play here except more annoying. There isnt any way to fix it either.

Idk how re4 is seen as revolutionary tbh. I dont care about action and horror that much but re4 felt very annoying to play.

I think re6 is way better than re4. It feels way more like a numbered entry while feeling more revolutionary than re4 will ever come to be.

So ı tried re4 on pcsx2 emulator after not being able to play it on steam due to the game not opening properly. And ugh, the game feels even more dated than it felt before.

It felt awkward and not so fun to play. The limitations really felt like an annoyance there, more than re2, re3 and recv's cases where they didnt feel as annoying as re4.

Also why would you aim with left stick? That doesnt feel right. I'm more used to aiming with right stick like how it can be done in re6 when ı played it on ps3.

The aiming sensitivity also felt slow and cumbersome. The issue that ı had with recv's sniper rifle and dead aim's gameplay came into play here except more annoying. There isnt any way to fix it either.

Idk how re4 is seen as revolutionary tbh. I dont care about action and horror that much but re4 felt very annoying to play.

I think re6 is way better than re4. It feels way more like a numbered entry while feeling more revolutionary than re4 will ever come to be.
The aiming with the left stick was part of the tank controls, especially since they didnt have walking while aiming implemented yet (may as well use the stick you walk with since you cant use it while aiming). While I dont have a problem with it, it does limit reaction time and can feel clunky. The sniper and aiming problems may be due to just playing on emulator, though I'm not sure.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The aiming with the left stick was part of the tank controls, especially since they didnt have walking while aiming implemented yet (may as well use the stick you walk with since you cant use it while aiming). While I dont have a problem with it, it does limit reaction time and can feel clunky. The sniper and aiming problems may be due to just playing on emulator, though I'm not sure.
Honestly ı would have preferred if they allowed to move and shoot. I mean outbreak file 2 allows that and yet re4 ( and re5 ) doesnt for some reason. Though when ı played the game on steam, it didnt feel that annoying despite not liking this decision. Maybe playing the game on an emulator is the problem.

It's a shame, ı cant find a way to play it on steam, the game doesnt open. Emulator is the only way to go.

Top Bottom