• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
" Chris stop it! "

" Wesker you're pitiful! "

" What? Dont come this way! NO! "

" You cant kill me! "

These interactions in the 1st game are still hilarious and entertaining to me. I'll never stop quoting them over and over.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I honestly wonder how a RE5 remake would turn out
I saw some asking for re6r even before re5r's announcement. These fans seem to dislike re5 and re6 while liking re4 and re4r at the same time despite the latter's gameplay feeling more like playing re5 and re6. More reasons why re4 has some of the worst fandoms of all time, ı wished this overrated " remake " hypetrain would stop.

It was like when RE2 came out. People always liked RE3 less than the original RE2. So because of how glorified 2 has been since the 90s, when the remakes came out one year apart, most people didn't care that 2 had all of these changes, because they have to play favourites. Whereas 3 was bashed for it having things removed.

The fans are strange, for sure.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It was like when RE2 came out. People always liked RE3 less than the original RE2. So because of how glorified 2 has been since the 90s, when the remakes came out one year apart, most people didn't care that 2 had all of these changes, because they have to play favourites. Whereas 3 was bashed for it having things removed.

The fans are strange, for sure.
Look at this interview:

" What were some of the specific problems you saw with the story/scenarios in 1.5, Sugimura? "

" Sugimura: It was all too realistic. The ominous atmosphere from the first game, as represented in things like the Spencer Mansion itself, the armor room, key items like the jewelry box and gemstones… all that had been removed. The Police Station, too, had been changed to a very modern building. As a result, everything felt too modern and strangely sterile. “This doesn’t feel like Resident Evil…” Of course, wiping the slate clean and going back to zero on a project that’s already 70% complete is no mean feat, and in that sense, I think it was a very brave move on the part of the developers. "

" It was all too realistic. "

" This doesn’t feel like Resident Evil… "

The way sugimura described re1,5 in the past is exactly how ı feel about re engine era starting from re7 up to revillage. With re2r, they started using " realism " excuses to justify the changes made for the game and ı think they go against the final build of re2 where they made the changes cause the previous build was " too realistic " .

I can understand cutting zapping in re2r but did they really have to make all of those other changes and excuse that with " realism " ? I'm glad with re4r, they make it a lot more action oriented than even re6 like how it was planned once with the 1st build that became dmc. I was always underwhelmed by re4's action compared to dmc series and since re6 came quite close to dmc levels of action, ı'm glad they made re4r as re6-like as possible by making it more closer to the 1st build of re4 that became dmc1.

" Kamiya: We originally had no plans to bring the Tyrant back, since he was the final boss of the first game. I was saying we should make him the perfect, invincible Tyrant this time. (laughs) "

" Sugimura: But after talking we realized that making the Tyrant so strong would render the existence of the G-virus meaningless… to solve that problem we came up with the idea of the Tyrant having a mission to retrieve the G-virus. Also, one of the consequences of having players go through the same scenario twice was that, by the second time, they’re used to things and it’s too easy. For that reason we decided to have the Tyrant appear in Scenario B, as a way to raise the difficulty. "

" making the Tyrant so strong would render the existence of the G-virus meaningless… "

" meaningless… "

Exactly how ı feel about re2r's story in general. They made it so forcefully re1,5 inspired that it became boring very shortly. With re4r however ı think capcom managed to turn the tables and ı would prefer it to stop there.

I think Capcom rushed out RE2, as it had been a long time coming and they knew fans were becoming impatient. It didn't feel as fine tuned as it could have been.

The combat feels jarring. Yeah, their aim for realism like you say is why that came about. But I also hate the bullet sponge zombies, the very dark rooms, and the omission of certain enemy types. I also don't like how both characters have the same cutscenes, objectives, and so on. For example, Mr. X originally only appeared in the B scenario. In the remake, he felt like a forced upon gimmick. He was everywhere!

Yeah, the trashy remake of 3 was lame, but 2 was a big let down as well. Plus, the original RE2 was the game that got me into survival horror to begin with. So when it went awry with Capcom with this modern take on it, I felt a particular amount of anger towards Crapcom for screwing it up the way they somehow managed to do.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Re2 leon render.png

Re6 leon china render.jpg

A random thought but ı always liked how leon's re2 and re6 china outfit renders look similar. Both of them showcase leon with his vp70 or one of wing shooters that has 18 capacity and his left hand postures in both renders look very similar too. In re6, it looks more like a direct improvement from re2 due to his left hand being near to his other holster that keeps his other wing shooter in it. Very cool detail imo. The game shows this improvement very well too ı think.

I really want to see the following characters coming back. In no particular order, there is:

Ada.
Hunk.
Parker.
Carlos.
Billy.
Natalia.
Ark.

I would probably like to see Billy again the most, being honest. There was definitely something there with his history. But I reckon he is a goner in Capcom's eyes, since he hasn't been in any other RE media besides the Wii shooter in 2007. But that just rehashes RE0 in a somewhat muddled up way.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I really want to see the following characters coming back. In no particular order, there is:

Ada.
Hunk.
Parker.
Carlos.
Billy.
Natalia.
Ark.

I would probably like to see Billy again the most, being honest. There was definitely something there with his history. But I reckon he is a goner in Capcom's eyes, since he hasn't been in any other RE media besides the Wii shooter in 2007. But that just rehashes RE0 in a somewhat muddled up way.
I wouldnt mind billy either. I feel that billy-jake team up would be cool just like rebecca-sherry team up. He was even planned for infinite darkness before being cut from it. But yes capcom doesnt make use of previous characters that much but keeps bringing back chris and leon to new stories instead. After re4r, ı would also like to see ada, especially with lily gao voicing her, in a new game story. I'm still not sure how the next name-numbered game after revillage is gonna be though, especially due to the game pulling a huge year time skip, ı guess the next game stories are gonna set before that? I still have no idea how revillage's story even works, especially since ı didnt even play it. Nor that ı ever will at this point.

With that time jump in Village, I wonder if they really are keeping Chris Redfield's age to be like his current age. Because in the future, Rosemary mentions him to the agent who offends her. So what age would Chris be in that year?

It is hard to determine anything, with how often Capcom keeps switching his actor. Because in RE8, he looks old. His Death Island appearance looks completely different, you see.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
With that time jump in Village, I wonder if they really are keeping Chris Redfield's age to be like his current age. Because in the future, Rosemary mentions him to the agent who offends her. So what age would Chris be in that year?

It is hard to determine anything, with how often Capcom keeps switching his actor. Because in RE8, he looks old. His Death Island appearance looks completely different, you see.
Since they got both chris and leon infected with a virus in death island as well as claire to the point they needed to use a vaccine to destroy their infection, ı guess it's pretty much capcom planning to use chris and leon in the future stories forever since they would keep their youth in appearance. That seems to be a justification for capcom's decision to keep utilizing those 2 characters forever. But at the same time, ı still dont understand why they pulled that time skip then, would this mean chris and leon would still be fighting biohazards during the epilogue of revillage? The family is still left wandering around according to extra portions of re6's files found on re net. I always wanted the family to be taken care of with as many government agents, particularly the one who appeared in the previous stories, returning as possible but ever since after re6, they are forgotten and it makes the storyline after the game feel disjointed compared to past.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I guess Vitamin E would no longer be needed in this case. But that's their big plan to keep milking the franchise, I suppose. 😂
Do you think jill and claire would come back to new game stories? I dont feel like they will unlike chris and leon. From my understanding, they wouldnt be brought back due to capcom being a japanese series and in japan, the women at older ages arent deemed to be utilized due to them being " too old " or something? I saw that being brought up before along with examples given from other japanese series too. Meanwhile ada never appeared at absolutely any story without leon while jill and claire appeared in the stories without other returning re1 or re2 characters respectively, claire 2 times in fact. They even cut barry's appearance in re3r due to that being an optional choice in og game, ı wished it was a scripted cutscene for barry to save jill in og game during the story. Same as nikolai's fate whether he can get killed or not but in re3r, ı feel that they make his fate much more clear by him just sitting on ground due to being injured and not being able to escape. Regardless ı always wanted jill, claire and ada to appear in an ambitious game story along with jake and sherry being added to the mix without chris and leon but ı dont think it will happen.

They could. Although Claire's storylines and even Jill's are so repetitive.

I mean, one always gets herself imprisoned. The other, well? She is exposed to viruses.

It's all very Avengers-like now, to be honest...

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
They could. Although Claire's storylines and even Jill's are so repetitive.

I mean, one always gets herself imprisoned. The other, well? She is exposed to viruses.

It's all very Avengers-like now, to be honest...
Yeah ı dislike claire getting captured in both infinite darkness and death island. In rerev2, she managed to escape from the tower by herself before coming back to the island with support but ı dont like her being captured there either. Capcom uses that " Female character gets captured, lets save her! " trope too much in this series.

I think Leon and Chris should be used more in action heavy games. I mean, 7 and 8 have Chris in these type of sections. It helps to provide fan service, but without removing most of the tension.

Edit: God, see this fucking keyboard on my phone!

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think Leon and Chris should be used more in action heavy games. I mean, 7 and 8 have Chris in these type of sectiins. It helps to provide fan service, but without removing most of the tension.
With re7 and revillage, the amount of screentime chris gets is too low compared to the amount of screentime leon gets in re2-4r. Leon also gets plenty of screentime to himself in the movies and still keeps appearing in them. Without mold and winters story arc, ı think ı would have liked re7 and revillage more, from what ı've seen in revillage, ı always wanted the story to be more centered around chris and hound wolf squad where they would be given more screentime. I like chris' unit there, even if ı dont like chris that much in revillage.

Yeah. That's why I didn't like Shadows of Rose. I wanted the plot to concern why the team was gonna head to Europe. But maybe Capcom decided they wanted to cover this more in a new game instead.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah. That's why I didn't like Shadows of Rose. I wanted the plot to concern why the team was gonna head to Europe. But maybe Capcom decided they wanted to cover this more in a new game instead.
I saw some claiming that the next numbered game in the series will apparently reunite characters like how re6 did but this seems to be more of an opportunity for them to keep disliking the game further. They do it for the sake of it similar to how re engine is pandered towards re4 fandom very forcefully due to that game's fandom being very obnoxious. I still dont know if capcom will ever make an ambitious sequel like re6 in a new numbered game story, re4r came very close but it's still not a new game story while being a recreation of a past one instead.

Top Bottom