• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Resident Evil Villains

I thought Carla was completely killed off.

I would love to see Ada return, as her last appearance to date was 10 years ago, in RE6. She had accepted a new mission. What that was, Capcom never revealed.

She had accepted a new mission. What that was, Capcom never revealed.
To be honest, I feel that wasting even more time on this is counterproductive.

It's time to reveal her true goal to break this cycle of repetitive plot bits.

Developers can show how she works for one criminal organization after another for this goal, but the characters don't get any younger, and neither do we.

Even Ethan is almost the same age as Sherry, and in 2017 he was already the same age as Chris in Resident Evil 5.

Well, I have kind of gave up thinking that Capcom will resolve the numerous plot threads they've accumulated. They will only be adding even more soon. Especially now with these reboots and movies, and the Netflix series starting in July. It's just a total mess.

I see the games now as being akin to some sort of long running anime show, where the primary characters are just fighting all sorts of mutated things in different episodes to be helpful, and meeting all kinds of forgettable allies, and the next time you see them, feel blessed if it's to do with anything they dealt with from the prior game. They're just there. LOL.

Kind of sad, really, as none of the storylines make much sense. It's just Chris wanting to confirm his suspicions about a villain, who was never even hinted at in the previous game. The next game just starts off with Chris shooting this dude's wife in a house and saying... absolutely nothing useful. Has nothing to do with Lucas Baker's mysterious cohorts in 7. Doesn't even feel to me like 7 and 8 have much in common, besides basically sharing the same characters and the same gameplay. And like I said, if you play 6 then 7 and 8, they don't seem like they're even from the same franchise, as their tone, environments, enemies and whatnot, are so different.

I think Capcom nowadays, is just making different RE games so they don't always feel the same. Trying to make things feel fresh, while just not really having a Scooby what fans want. But in doing so, they're just making everything so confusing. It is probably going to alienate even the biggest of RE aficionados, should they keep this up.

There is an RE for everyone, at this point there is no reason in labeling what an RE game is supposed to be. Capcom will make whatever they want to keep up with trends and add more questions than answers.

I do think Alex plot piggybacking off Project W and Neil Fisher was a waste of potential. Making her become terminally ill after injecting T-Wesker severely limited her influence within the timeline. Some of her backstory is locked behind Heavenly Island which STILL hasn’t been translated. They really rushed her character. It’s a shame, because her younger renditions in Resistance are quite hot to be frank and it would of been interesting to have another reoccurring villain again.

I am more skeptical over brainwashed Natalia’s return. Maybe she will end the world in RE9 and end the series. Who knows what Capcom is thinking these days “listening” to 3 different fanbases.

Last edited:
It genuinely surprises me that you write the things you write. Looking back to 2015, fans were thrilled and shocked by the return of Claire, the Burton family and Alex Wesker. Almost no one believed then that Capcom would develop this "Alex Wesker" thread because of how Resident Evil 6 went in a different direction with the plot, but the developers did not just return to it, but did it in a perfectly written way with a dramatic plot twist. It was a very emotional experience for many.

There must be something that makes you Resident Evil fans. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just genuinely surprised.

Alex Wesker is not just a female version of Albert or Oswell. She is much more than that, and her character and motivation are shaped by her relationship with her "father" and "brother". This is the same thing that Franz Kafka explored in The Metamorphosis, so Wesker sees a personal connection with him. It's so fundamental for her to be a Wesker, and such an unusual perspective for the series to explore things.

This is not even a story about immortality in its usual sense. Driven by hatred for her "father" and love for her "brother", she comes to realize that literal immortality is unattainable for her, and decides to become the better Grete Samsa for Albert by sharing his fate, since in the novel Grete turned away from her brother, Gregor.

But since Kafka's thoughts live through his works, which were published posthumously, she decides to leave her legacy too. That's a pretty neat commentary. And this is not even the whole conflict, but the build-up to it, because Alex actually survived. Because she experienced fear for a second. It's all very connected.

I can't help but feel that people are picking on little things like Lucas' client who was going to buy data, as if there aren't a huge number of random parties in the world that wouldn't want to have such data.

Meanwhile, we seem not to notice such huge things as Spencer, who met an immortal woman, which perfectly explains why he used to behave the way he did, considering idiots those who choose death in a world where immortality is possible. He is not a madman, but someone who has seen things.

And don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fine if you don't agree with any of this, and also if none of this is important to you. After all, everyone has their own preferences. I just don't quite understand what motivates people to follow the series if they feel constant frustration because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, retroactively. The game came out after Resident Evil 6 and even uses resources from it.

Resident Evil 5 and Revelations 2 are 5 years apart. The first game established this thread, but Resident Evil 6 did nothing about it, so people began to think that the thread hung in the air forever. This is what I referred to.

Last edited:
Introducing and killing off villains in the same game has been one of my biggest complaints about the series. At least with Birkin they built his character in prequels and other side games to make him more evil and tragic. Spenser was more fleshed out in his goals as well and I am not refuting his reasoning for seeking immortality.

Seeing a younger Alex in Resistance really pisses me off, like they don’t even care about her character at all. She was great in Rev2 but that seems to be all we’re getting. I refuse to accept Natalia as a replacement for Alex since it’s essentially a different character. Which brings me back to why these newer villains have been disappointing. They seem to only follow in other villains footsteps who did a much better job.

It shouldn’t bother you that much if other people are frustrated, as long as they are not starting flame wars over it. Debates are fun and this is what this site is for, and to spread knowledge and understanding for the series.

No one really cares about Miranda since she’s underdeveloped compared to other villains. If she had more time invested instead of having a couple notes about her past being shoved in one room I would of cared more. There needs to be more character development for me to get invested.

Last edited:
Miranda and some other villains, feel like something straight from Saturday morning cartoons. I honestly think we need one shadow organisation leader again, so we get some consistency.

I didn't mind the Bakers, but they're just a family caught up in an outbreak. When it comes to other enemies, I think they just keep jumping the shark. Miranda reminds me of Saddler.

No one really cares about Miranda since she’s underdeveloped compared to other villains.
You mean like the Queen Leech or the Pursuer? Because this is exactly the category of villains that she occupies.

Miranda is not human. She is a grotesque mold hybrid who barely looks like a human and who is driven by mass control and pollution. Like Eveline, who wouldn't stop spreading until the whole planet became her network.

All their "human" manifestations are just speculations, the sincerity of which you will never know. Mold is able to form integral systems resembling the nervous structures of a human, so these games blur the line of what it means to be human.

You mention Miranda's past, but she was an ordinary grieving mother who was consumed by mold.

The very idea of such antagonists grows even from Iwao's script, who was a big fan of Alien. You definitely could have watched this movie and know that the main evil there was a product of xenobiology. There was a traitor figure in the film too, Ash, but he didn't take the central role.

And this is the formula followed by the first, second and third games with Tyrant & Wesker, G-Birkin & Ada, Pursuer & Zinoviev. And this is the same idea that the developers are following now with Eveline & Lucas and Miranda & Heisenberg.

I honestly think we need one shadow organisation leader again, so we get some consistency.
This is literally happening right now.

So, who's excited about State of Play and Summer Game Fest this month?

While remakes are kind of a step backwards, I think a more horror based RE4 is welcome by me. People often criticized the original for being too action focused. But now is their opportunity to rewrite history. Although I suppose that the original is still the "official" version in the canon.

Don't forget: State of Play kicks off at 11 PM tonight, for UK viewers. ;)

Oh, and...

Oh, Michael! 😯

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
There is an RE for everyone, at this point there is no reason in labeling what an RE game is supposed to be. Capcom will make whatever they want to keep up with trends and add more questions than answers.

I do think Alex plot piggybacking off Project W and Neil Fisher was a waste of potential. Making her become terminally ill after injecting T-Wesker severely limited her influence within the timeline. Some of her backstory is locked behind Heavenly Island which STILL hasn’t been translated. They really rushed her character. It’s a shame, because her younger renditions in Resistance are quite hot to be frank and it would of been interesting to have another reoccurring villain again.

I am more skeptical over brainwashed Natalia’s return. Maybe she will end the world in RE9 and end the series. Who knows what Capcom is thinking these days “listening” to 3 different fanbases.
With project w; ı think ı would have liked it more if all of those 13 test subjects survived instead of only 2 which feels like an inconsistent decision in terms of writing. I think they wanted to showcase spencer much more pitiful in re5 which is already shown by his death at the hands of albert but making 11 of those subjects failures is unnecessary and feels more like a lazy writing.

Making all of those 13 test subjects survive might have take the direction go in a more similar way to anderson's movies but ı wouldnt have minded it ( Unlike that planned idea for re6 where they considered re2, re4 and re6 adas to be completely different clones from each other. ) since it might raise the stakes and add new threats to storyline after albert's defeat.

If that happened; then ı could see alex as part of project w too along with others. But as it stands right now; ı dont see it possible.

You mention Miranda's past, but she was an ordinary grieving mother who was consumed by mold.
Who somehow managed to stumble upon a cave that so happens to have the strongest mold colony on the planet, that is far fetched and unbelievable to me even for a science fiction franchise. Spenser had to do extensive research and use up countless resources to even find and retrieve the Progenitor Flower’s, and even then they weren’t producing the virus because it was removed from its natural habitat. You would think Spenser would of gave the Megamycete a second look instead of spending his entire fortune and life on a what-if virus that was not guaranteed results.

This in itself made him a madman by sacrificing innocents to reach his goals, something that even Miranda wouldn’t have done if she wasn’t hellbent on reviving her daughter. Unless I am missing something but she didn’t seem like the world conquering type before becoming immortal. Like you said, she lost her humanity after merging with the mold for so long, so what was Spenser’s excuse for acting out such atrocities against humanity? This made Miranda more human than Spenser in that regard despite them being different flavors of psychopath.

Last edited:
Who somehow managed to stumble upon a cave that so happens to have the strongest mold colony on the planet, that is far fetched and unbelievable to me even for a science fiction franchise.
These lands had a rich history with this fungal root.

At the time of Romanization, its power was used by the so-called "Demon King", who led the Roman tribe.

In the 15th century, he was overthrown by a Romance group from Western Europe, who established the Chalice to control the growth of mold.

This root has been acknowledged by many people, and many have shed blood for it. We can even see the crystal remains under the stronghold. And there are plenty of such remains, as we find minerals in all locations. Thanks to this, the village even fond of mining.

Miranda was just a local villager who wasn't the first to have this contact.

Spenser had to do extensive research and use up countless resources to even find and retrieve the Progenitor Flower’s, and even then they weren’t producing the virus because it was removed from its natural habitat.
Sure, but this is the path he chose himself. He wanted to evolve and become an immortal God. These ambitions were beyond his competence, although, to be fair, he had every opportunity to achieve this. If he had at least been more patient, he could have saved some Weskers.

You would think Spenser would of gave the Megamycete a second look instead of spending his entire fortune and life on a what-if virus that was not guaranteed results.
That's why we have Spencer's right-hand man, with whom he worked in Africa, and his organization to begin with.

Spencer has no reason to associate himself with mold, and neither does Umbrella. This is contrary to their doctrine. Viruses are the engines of evolution, and they use these agents to create superhumans. Mold, on the contrary, is just "Marcus' leeches" at the intracellular level. Mold simply steals your genes and condemns itself to mortality, because our bodies are programmed to die.

Meanwhile, after meeting Miranda chronologically, Spencer tried to create the ceremony technology with the transfer of consciousness, but he abandoned it. Probably because he came to the realization that the actual transfer is impossible or at least unavailable now. This is even more reason why you don't want to accept mold, since this is the pure Theseus paradox.

Unless I am missing something but she didn’t seem like the world conquering type before becoming immortal. Like you said, she lost her humanity after merging with the mold for so long, so what was Spenser’s excuse for acting out such atrocities against humanity?
As they say, power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Once Spencer could have been a nobleman with pure intentions, but this fascism grew in him when he realized that he could be superior. And many things, be it his name and the crest in the cave, which is similar to his family's, were like signs of fate that he was chosen to carry out such a mission.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı want to talk about morpheus in dead aim.

This might be seen as coming out of nowhere and even ı'm surprised by this but ı want to say that ı overall solved the issues that ı had with him.

I was bothered by him changing his voice type to a female's after the transformation, ı thought that the transgender stuff happened due to the virus but this doesnt seem to be the case. He already seems to be transgender due to his body surgeries to keep himself look " beautiful " . I was confused whether this could be considered as gender changing or not but apparently it seems to be. This means that morpheus being a transgender is part of his biology pre-infection rather than him changing gender only coming with the virus. That wesker theory file in umbrella chronicles also seems to come into play here. In regards to subjects' mutations that are infected by progenitor based viruses being affected by their personality.

In regards to the voice; ı listened to his dialogue when he talks to bruce for the 1st encounter and ı realized that it's a mix of both voice types rather than him simply having a female voice. They are stacked on top of each other basically.

The other thing is his motivations. I was also confused by his fixation on beauty. I thought that he wanted to unleash a virus all over the world to evolve the humanity so that the " beautiful " people would rule over the remains as evolved ones. I found this weird but again this doesnt seem to be the case.

I checked re wiki and noticed the most important bits:

" The organisation held three core principles: Africa was the symbol of power on the earth, the Bio-Sphere was the symbol of worldly knowledge, and Duvall was the symbol of beauty. In their interpretation of the principles, the group intended to take over the Bio-Sphere and use its secrets to finance the formation of an African colony built on eugenics principles, to be led by Duvall and populated by only the most beautiful people. Duvall's obsession with beauty only increased as time went by, as noted by P.T., and in early 2002 Duvall underwent cosmetic surgery to better resemble their ideal self. "

" Having secretly constructed a missile silo on the coast of their island fortress, the group intended to steal bioweapons from a laboratory and place them within the warheads of ballistic missiles targeted at China and the United States. These two nations were then to be held hostage in exchange for $50 billion, enough in Duvall's eyes to finance the creation of their African realm. "

With these statements; ı've come to the conclusion that he aimed the missiles at those 2 nations so that they could supply him with $50 billion. And with that amount of money, he planned to take over the world using his wealth. It seems that he never planned to unleash a virus in order to evolve the world like alexia and wesker in re5 wanted. Interesting. He reminds me of nikolai except former didnt want to take over the world unlike morpheus. Now that ı think about it; it makes for an unique antagonist motivation.

As much as evolution that spencer and many of umbrella's leftovers were so obsessed with make sense in regards to their characterizations, at the same time; ı still find new takes more interesting rather than repeating the same forced evolution / immortality plan over and over.

I find carla a nice change of pace from this repeating cycle and ı think ı can include morpheus in this too.

Last edited:
I always felt Morpheus was an underrated villain and the events of Dead Aim are often overlooked at by the majority of fans. They don’t realize that the events of that game helped to expose Umbrella even further and more or less lead up to their ultimate demise in Russia.

At the time of Dead Aim in 2002, the court proceedings were moving at a snails pace for Umbrella v. United States so this was an even bigger revelation for the public eye for vilifying Umbrella even further than what happened in Raccoon City.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I always felt Morpheus was an underrated villain and the events of Dead Aim are often overlooked at by the majority of fans. They don’t realize that the events of that game helped to expose Umbrella even further and more or less lead up to their ultimate demise in Russia.

At the time of Dead Aim in 2002, the court proceedings were moving at a snails pace for Umbrella v. United States so this was an even bigger revelation for the public eye for vilifying Umbrella even further than what happened in Raccoon City.
Yeah ı remember the files saying that umbrella was in a bad situation which leads to their downfall. It's also the 1st entry which takes a place at a new year other than 1998. That being 2002. They return to this year with operation javier scenario in darkside chronicles too which is also pretty cool imo.

Top Bottom