• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

Since there is a trend for the return of Albert Wesker, it would be good to raise this topic.

On the one hand, in a universe where leeches can mimic the body and mind of a corpse, and a southerner can regenerate even if his entire body is demolished, it would not be difficult to explain the return of Albert Wesker. I even have an idea how to do it. On the other hand, the difficulty here lies in another: the return of Wesker is a serious artistic challenge, because by returning this villain, you can easily devalue the events of Resident Evil 5, which, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Perhaps that is why I am interested in how the authors will get out of this situation.

When I thought about it more, good old George Orwell came to mind. The idea may seem trivial to you, but at least it seems interesting to me. Now, let's say that in a rival company, when Albert Wesker was still alive, a cult of personality developed around him. Let's say that the people who worked there were not only afraid of him, but also very much respected him. And it is no accident that members of the organization that red Umbrella reports to call "Wesker" not just a leader, but a legendary leader. Even Abraham Jackson mentions that "Wesker" is feared and respected there.

We know that before meeting Spencer, Wesker had taken absolute control of a rival organization. Like Albert, his subordinates might also want to restore Umbrella. Since Wesker was leaking viruses on the black market and to various syndicates like The Sacred Snakes and, I believe, even The Connections, Albert is the cause of the world's dire situation, so it makes perfect sense to have a legal organization that offers effective methods of fighting. And Wesker's subordinates could share that.

When Wesker met Spencer, his life changed forever. Albert took over the right of God, abandoned the organization, and began implementing his plan with TRICELL. Despite the general idea, the organization has lost a leader and an authoritative figure who would inspire and lead the team. Therefore, realizing the situation and trying to find effective leverage, the top management of the organization in its "secret office" could decide to create a a false Wesker, whose figure could influence the organization and inspire it.

I can't even forget the moment from Umbrella Corps when Abraham Jackson, after receiving a "Wesker" hair, decided to run it through the organization's library, but then disappeared without a trace. Don't you think that's strange? Of course, it is obvious that Jackson knew nothing about Wesker, so the meeting with the legendary leader did not tell him anything. But what would the library say about "Wesker"? If he found out that the leader's name was Albert Wesker, would it make a difference to Wesker? "Albert" openly contacts and even communicates with scientists of the red Umbrella, so it does not seem that it is so important for him to hide his Wesker's identity. Would Jackson have been able to access the profile of a completely different person who looks different and speaks in a different voice?

I think it's even possible to link this Umbrella storyline to The Family, since the reorganizations of Umbrella is intertwined with both the US Government and the idea of stabilizing the world. And the false Wesker itself can be created using the same technology that was used to create the false Ada Wong.

I may also like this idea for the simple reason that we won't know that Albert Wesker is a fake. And Chris doesn't know about it, either, so he will be chasing the phantom, although in a sense, Albert Wesker has already become something big in this world: he has become an immortal symbol of bioterrorism.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont think they should revive wesker.

He died and killing him was the point of re5.

They should stop getting obsessed with him tbh.

I wouldnt trust umbrella corps; it might be a doppleganger of him.

There's already a surviving wesker children actually other than albert and alex.

" I've noticed something while browsing through tvtropes, this never actually came into my mind before. In one of re5's files signed by alex from rerev2; it's said that project w's success is down to %18. And we got another file from re5 lin telling us that the amount of test subjects involved in project w is 13. Doing the math, other than wesker and alex at that time; there's another surviving wesker children whose identity is unknown. Capcom perhaps can use this info in a future re entry and give more depth. Maybe make that surviving member meet with jake or something? ( I really would like to see this happen in future considering jake's status is ambiguous. ) "

That being said; if they would revive him, then they need to create extremely exaggerated over the top action sequences for him to die if they plan to kill him, more so than re6's sequences otherwise none would believe he would die.

Not sure if capcom would put these action sequences that ı described though since re6's action is extremely controversial.

And they shouldnt forget barry, rebecca ( They were in mansion just like chris and jill. ) and jake too.

I recommend checking this thread to check people's opinions if you are interested:

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Since there is a trend for the return of Albert Wesker, it would be good to raise this topic.

the return of Wesker is a serious artistic challenge, because by returning this villain, you can easily devalue the events of Resident Evil 5, which, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Perhaps that is why I am interested in how the authors will get out of this situation.

I may also like this idea for the simple reason that we won't know that Albert Wesker is a fake. And Chris doesn't know about it, either, so he will be chasing the phantom, although in a sense, Albert Wesker has already become something big in this world: he has become an immortal symbol of bioterrorism.
I completely agree with this (y) bringing the real Wesker back to life would ruin a lot in the storytelling of the series, it wouldn't just make RE5's story and character's development and struggle pretty pointless, it would also make the stakes irrelevant. When people can die and be brought back to life like nothing then there is no reason to care about death. It muddles the continuity and it's just bad storytelling, it's that simple.

Also, I'd say that people who admire him see him as an immirtal symbol of transhumanism. Surely in their eyes he is the good guy
Transhumanism is a class of philosophies of life that seek the continuation and acceleration of the evolution of intelligent life beyond its currently human form and human limitations by means of science and technology, guided by life-promoting principles and values.

.The intellectual and cultural movement that affirms the possibility and desirability of fundamentally improving the human condition through applied reason, especially by developing and making widely available technologies to eliminate aging and to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities.

That's how I define people like Wesker, Alex and Spencer, they were many things but above all they wanted to transcend humanity.

Last edited:

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Even the guy who wrote that article is recognizing that they are conveniently ignoring a version of RE5 to push this narrative, RE7 is not the secret king of RE... it sold well but it's not at the top. I'll start to care if it reaches 10 million. In the meantime 5 stays at the top

Well, I don't really care much for RE5 or 7, but at least RE5 felt more like a RE game than RE7, as it has Chris, Jill and Wesker. Even if RE7 also has Chris as a co-star, the general tone of the game wasn't indicative of the usual mainline RE games that arrived before it. RE5 wasn't really typical of the old RE games either, but it was a splendid follow-up to RE4. It's just a case of who likes what genre, I suppose. :whistle:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I know ı said this before but about re wiki; ı really dont like how they are trying include both info from og game and remake / reimagining hybrid in some of the pages.

Never liked the " This section is based on a game with branching story paths, or several games with conflicting accounts. For more detail on differing portrayals, see ... " statement.

Only include info from og games; re2 2019 and re3 2020 are as canon as chronicles retellings smh...

I consider the side stories with Rebecca and Richard and Wesker, etc, to be genuine. But the remade sections for the original games feel shoddily put together. For example, Ada was never with Claire at all. In fact, I'm of the belief that Claire never met Ada. Although Ada did see Sherry briefly in 2 and 6, but she didn't really fully interact with Sherry directly. She did save her life, though, and Jake's.

In my opinion, I think Capcom mostly remade the main games for the Chronicles games because of RE4 becoming an action game. They probably wanted to sucker in old and new fans, but they made it primarily a shooter so that new fans could experience the originals in a straight to the point, shooter heavy manner, and that's hereby not what makes a true survival horror game. Now that has been evident for years...

I guess we'll just have to see what the rest of this decade will be like. I'll be surprised if they keep to the horror aspects for very long.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah; the special episodes in umbrella chronicles like rebirth and death's door are canon but the retelling sections are grey canon; as equally as re2 2019 / re3 2020's stories. If they want to include all info then why arent they including info from other grey-canon stories too? Like they should include info from og re1 and chronicles retellings too. Og re1 is also grey canon.

I dont believe ada was with claire either; as mess as it is, ı'm glad they didnt make claire meet with ada in re2 2019. And that cutscene where claire hears ada through leon in claire b is obviously not canon.

I wished leon and ada interacted with sherry in re2 2019 though; one way or another. It would connect better to re6.

As for the chronicles retellings' weird sections; it's possible it's due to characters remembering some events wrong either accidentally or on purpose for whatever reasons they have. This could also apply to biohazard the stage's re1 / remake flashback sections. They show rebecca playing moonlight sonata even though it's jill who played it which is confirmed in re5 lin by her dialogue.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

" DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
IVY UNIVERSITY

MEMORANDUM FOR: S. BIRKIN

SUBJECT: Guest Speaker

Ms. Birkin,

We are pleased to have your Uncle speak at our University this Wendsday. Please be aware that we have reserved special seating arrangements for the event as per your request.

If you have any furhter inquiries feel free to let me know, I would be more than happy to help.

Sheila Colins. "

Recently came across this. Never knew it before.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
For me; re6 is the most replayable re game in the series followed by re4.

Been replaying them these days.

No timeline marathon; just found myself going back to those 2 games these days.

Speaking of re4; ı've been trying new loadouts along with challenge runs to discover more of the game's potential.

During timeline marathons; ı only used one specific loadout tbh.

Like ı did a no handgun run, default weapon loadout run ( Though ı did this one on easy difficulty. ) etc.

I found the game more enjoyable than re5 that way plus attache case is also addicting.

Re5 is also very replayable but not as much as those 2 imo plus ı'm not a fan of some design choices like how the game feels more designed around online than single player while re6 feels more designed around single player than online.

Not sure if ı would do more timeline marathon tbh; ı dont feel like ı would do more though ı still play re6 in chronological order to experience the game in a different way.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Decided to check twitter, saw people going crazy over a non-canon production.

Eh, who cares? People are overreacting tbh. I mean ı never cared about live action movies after all, they are waste of time.

I think they're okay, popcorn movies. I don't really care about aspects of any franchise that isn't canonical. I'm of the belief that it's pointless to whore out trash movies or games, just to milk the popularity of the series. Pretty much every horror franchise lands up like that. For example, the original Saw from 2004 was brilliant. I think it did something new with the genre, at a time when it was becoming repetitive. But they overdid it with all the sequels and tie-in crap that followed over the years. They're still interesting, nonetheless.

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Decided to check twitter, saw people going crazy over a non-canon production.

Eh, who cares? People are overreacting tbh. I mean ı never cared about live action movies after all, they are waste of time.
Eh people have the right to hate whatever they want to hate, but like you said everyone can take comfort in the fact that is non canon and it's irrelevant to the main universe.

Despite my resentments, I still try to assess the situation sensibly and accept it as it is.

Horror (including slashers and Italian giallo) is a fairly marginal side of art. This genre will never be liked by everyone and should not be liked by everyone.

Another thing is that Resident Evil in 1996 was conceived as such a game, but over time the series mutated into a tokusatsu show, that is, in the superhero genre of the Japanese format. If before we could see the violent and bloody deaths of characters, disemboweled corpses and disgusting rotten zombies that got wet in the baths (even Jill once could not contain the urge to vomit), over time, the series abandoned the high degree of violence altogether. If before the characters just wanted to survive, now they began to save the world. If before the characters challenged the huge corporate machine and fought against a corrupt system, now they are fighting with specific supervillains who want to take over the world, and all viruses and corporations have gone into the background so that they have become exclusively points of support for the plans of these villains.

I even noticed that a lot of people who are interested in the Resident Evil series today do not consider it horror. Such fans are not interested in horror movies at all, but they are interested in anime and comics about superheroes. This is not a reproach at all, but just my personal observation.

So, in fact, it should not have been surprising that when the series returned to the horror culture trail, many did not appreciate it.

The schedule for Gamescom is listed on the description of this live stream, but I don't know if anything concerning Resident Evil Village will be shown off today. They are going to be showing off gameplay for a few unannounced games later on tonight, so we'll just have to wait and see when that will play out. ;)

And even more parallels:

Resident Evil 4 may seem disconnected from the series, but in fact this game was laying the groundwork for its future.

First, it closed Umbrella, which inevitably affected the situation in the world. Second, it introduced a completely new type of bio-organic threat with a hint of its connection to the Progenitor virus. Third, this game established Albert Wesker's connection with Seashell.

Resident Evil 5 is a direct sequel and at the same time the end of the Resident Evil 4 storyline: Seashell gets developed, the parasite gets modified, and then all this is destroyed against the background of the super secret origin of Umbrella. Wesker dies, too.

Now let's talk about Resident Evil 7 biohazard.

First, Resident Evil 7 biohazard restores Umbrella, which again will definitely affect the situation in the world. Second, this game introduces a new type of bio-organic weapon with a hint of its connection to the Progenitor virus. Third, the game introduces a new crime syndicate and establishes its connection with Albert Wesker.

Resident Evil Village is a direct sequel to Resident Evil 7 biohazard and promises to end its storyline at the same time. The new weapon receives a modification, the syndicate can be developed. Perhaps all this will be destroyed, and against the background of the super secret origin of Umbrella. Maybe Wesker would come back this time. Or will another Wesker die?

Just as Resident Evil 6 told a new story about the Simmons-Carla conflict, so Resident Evil 9 will probably tell a new story.

And then a new cycle.
Though your parallels between 4 and 7, then 5 and 8 provided food for thoughts I'm still inclined to believe 8 will have a bitter ending.

Capcom updated Twitter to let us know that the next update is happening at Tokyo Game Show. They are going to be showcasing games on both 26 and 27 September. ?

Top Bottom