• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Blue Umbrella

The BSAA don't actually drop like flies considering the situations they faced, the B.O.W's seen in RE6 were among some of the most dangerous in the entire series and the J'avo are far superior to the Molded, the can mutate, skillfully use firearms and even proficient in hand to hand combat. There's always casualties in a warzone, that's inevitable.

I know the BSAA dies a lot but at the same time they are the ones who resolved most of the population's problems with B.O.Ws:

- The Veltro conspiracy; - Kijuju Operation;

- Edonia Civil War; - Marhawa Academy;

- The Stage;

- Lanshiang bioterrorist attack; - New York City bioterrorist attack;

The BSAA fought and won all these incidents mentioned above.
Don't forget the Sonido de Tortuga Incident and the Sushestovanie Island Incident too.

the majority of the fanbase feel that the BU plotline involves a lot of rehashed concepts and was just thrown in at a whim out of desperation and failure to come up with new materials.

looking back now, the Gun Pamphlet, Heavenly Island Manga don't hold much relevance to a video game series and the Kaito Shinsho reference was incorrectly referenced which is all we had to really go off of.

it's sad to see Evil Resident and News Bot as the minortiy because I really do like you guys and early on in the game I was really seeing things differently but as the boat started sinking I jumped ship.

the majority of the fanbase feel that the BU plotline involves a lot of rehashed concepts and was just thrown in at a whim out of desperation and failure to come up with new materials.

looking back now, the Gun Pamphlet, Heavenly Island Manga don't hold much relevance to a video game series and the Kaito Shinsho reference was incorrectly referenced which is all we had to really go off of.

it's sad to see Evil Resident and News Bot as the minortiy because I really do like you guys and early on in the game I was really seeing things differently but as the boat started sinking I jumped ship.
Do you mind telling me about the Kaitai Shinsho reference being incorrect? I've been out of the loop fandomwise until Remake 2's trailer dropped.

The Kaitai Shinsho's correlation chart was purported to link Umbrella to The Connections (then called 'Mysterious Organisation') by the phrase 'technical assistance', mirroring what it says in the files about HCF. However, I checked it myself and the two corporation's are linked by the word 'investigation', not 'technical assistance.' That, and CVXFreak's research for his upcoming book suggesting Umbrella Corps is not canonical barring the background premise of mercs fighting in biohazard zones, has pretty much poured cold water on the whole thing for me.

Having said that, I do hope the link to the rival company is still true because it's the only way Umbrella's return can make any sense, but I don't think it will be. The situation as it stands is strange because Capcom themselves haven't really commented on Umbrella's return in any great depth which is surprising given what a game changer it is.

So the rival company is still dead since 5? That's good to know, I don't think they can really fit in the story as it is now, with Wesker dead and having had nothing to do with anything since 4. Other than Capcom giving them an actual name, I'm fully happy to close the book on the rival company.

Also I made a poll to figure out once and for all how many fans like or dislike the new Umbrella concept.

UC "will never feature on any official timeline" means very little since that applies to the Gun Survivor and Outbreak games too, among other stories. UC isn't even on their scale. There will be references (like the Zombie Jammer in Heavenly Island, written by Yasuhiro Seto who also wrote Corps & Chronicles) but it won't be featured like a main story, which is what the timelines refer to almost exclusively.

The resurrection talk is not "gibberish", it clearly means something. The 2007 date changed absolutely nothing since UC already had the company functional in 2011, while the resurrections are spoke of in 2015/2016. They're clearly referring to something more specific. For Umbrella, the resurrection most likely refers to them recovering their former status in the world after capitalizing on the bioterrorism they create. I have a feeling they'll explain away their conspicuous absence as being in a similar position to the BSAA for years, unable to conduct military ops and only able to send advisors/consultants.

The rival company and Umbrella revival weren't featured in BIO5 at all aside from their existence being acknowledged in Wesker's file. The S/Seashell/TRICELL storyline was already a completely separate plot thread from the time of Separate Ways.

UC began development after 7 and its logo contains the same "7" that tied together KITCHEN and BIO7. It was obviously intended to be a tie-in product. We just haven't fully seen exactly how it fits yet, particularly since there's been another time skip. Obviously the title is ironic, but Umbrella is indeed back. They left UC vague enough to keep the reveal at the end of 7 impactful.

UC "will never feature on any official timeline" means very little since that applies to the Gun Survivor and Outbreak games too, among other stories. UC isn't even on their scale. There will be references (like the Zombie Jammer in Heavenly Island, written by Yasuhiro Seto who also wrote Corps & Chronicles) but it won't be featured like a main story, which is what the timelines refer to almost exclusively.
think of it like the live action Star Wars films Episodes 1-9. those are the story line that Capcom is concerned with.

side stories, comics, animated series, those things will never be mixed into the mainstream storyline.

it's just for the die hard fans.

Capcom, (just like Lucas Films / Disney whomever) is concerned, that if they were ever to mix elements from the supplemental materials (because that's what they are) that the casual fan / movie goer (video gamer) will lose focus and interest altogether in the story and plotline.

so even if UC is 'Canon' nothing from it will ever be implemented into a numbered title.

know what I mean?

it may get tied into other supplemental side stuff for the die hards (and has such as Heavenly Island) but that's it.

The resurrection talk is not "gibberish", it clearly means something. The 2007 date changed absolutely nothing since UC already had the company functional in 2011, while the resurrections are spoke of in 2015/2016. They're clearly referring to something more specific. For Umbrella, the resurrection most likely refers to them recovering their former status in the world after capitalizing on the bioterrorism they create. I have a feeling they'll explain away their conspicuous absence as being in a similar position to the BSAA for years, unable to conduct military ops and only able to send advisors/consultants.
all assumptinos with nothing to basis.

The rival company and Umbrella revival weren't featured in BIO5 at all aside from their existence being acknowledged in Wesker's file. The S/Seashell/TRICELL storyline was already a completely separate plot thread from the time of Separate Ways.
so you admit Capcom is making this up as they go along? very good.

UC began development after 7 and its logo contains the same "7" that tied together KITCHEN and BIO7. It was obviously intended to be a tie-in product. We just haven't fully seen exactly how it fits yet, particularly since there's been another time skip. Obviously the title is ironic, but Umbrella is indeed back. They left UC vague enough to keep the reveal at the end of 7 impactful.
trying to tie-in a temporary design choice for a numbered logo as proof for canonicity reeks of desparation.

CAPCOM's canon is not managed the same way LucasArts or Disney handle their own. We already knew certain stories wouldn't get featured as heavily--- again, already been the case, nothing has changed with UC.

They are not assumptions. They are speculative, but the 2007 changing nothing is a fact since Umbrella was already around by 2011 in UC. 2007 is earlier than expected, that is all.

Of course CAPCOM makes it up as they go along, nearly every series does. There is nothing that dictates a certain writer needs to go a certain way, nor are they bound by contract to follow up immediately on something previous.

It wasn't a temporary design choice. It is THE design choice deliberately shared between the two games because they are tied together via Umbrella.

CAPCOM's canon is not managed the same way LucasArts or Disney handle their own. We already knew certain stories wouldn't get featured as heavily--- again, already been the case, nothing has changed with UC.

They are not assumptions. They are speculative, but the 2007 changing nothing is a fact since Umbrella was already around by 2011 in UC. 2007 is earlier than expected, that is all.

Of course CAPCOM makes it up as they go along, nearly every series does. There is nothing that dictates a certain writer needs to go a certain way, nor are they bound by contract to follow up immediately on something previous.

It wasn't a temporary design choice. It is THE design choice deliberately shared between the two games because they are tied together via Umbrella.
well just like with the time leading up to NAH we are playing the waiting game again.

Capcom keeps releasing fragmented story.

It is literally always like that.
ragmented plotline is common in writing? can you give me some specific examples please?

an unfinished script is not the same as setting up material for a proper sequel.

nowadays, in any media type, writers draft materials ahead of time, so if their prepping up to film a trilogy for instance all three scripts will be written before pre production even starts.

its not just a matter of doing things at a whim from game to game as Capcom has been doing for several years now.

just throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks.

ragmented plotline is common in writing? can you give me some specific examples please?

an unfinished script is not the same as setting up material for a proper sequel.

nowadays, in any media type, writers draft materials ahead of time, so if their prepping up to film a trilogy for instance all three scripts will be written before pre production even starts.

its not just a matter of doing things at a whim from game to game as Capcom has been doing for several years now.

just throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks.
What is the "unfinished script" here? BIO7 is a complete story. Umbrella was clearly just meant to be a tease in 7 for a larger plot. But they are saving it for stories where it's more central, which is evidenced from the removal of Not A Hero dialogue that reveals their sinister intentions (UC already revealed that, but it's presented in a way and form to be easily missed).

Most writers do not draft completely concrete sequel ideas, not even people like George R.R. Martin. This inhibits creative freedom, and is most likely why Umbrella's revival was so vague in Mikami and Haruo Murata's BIO4 scenario to begin with, and untouched until now. Nearly every story in the series has a different writer because it keeps it fresh, and there are figures on the development team who oversee each story on a macro-level and their consistency with each other.

Part of what makes Umbrella's revival as an ostensibly benevolent force more unbelievable is the fact that previous stories did not delve into the fact that most Umbrella employees were unaware of its darkside and others were forced or coerced into participating in it.

There are also people like Yoko and Linda.

Part of what makes Umbrella's revival as an ostensibly benevolent force more unbelievable is the fact that previous stories did not delve into the fact that most Umbrella employees were unaware of its darkside and others were forced or coerced into participating in it.

There are also people like Yoko and Linda.
indeed.

uploaded the video here as well.

although bear in mind that nothing suggests that key portions of Yoko's memory were still deleted. we do not know if she recovered all her memories from Greg Mueller's select mind wipe work.

also, Linda was just a common researcher.

its doubtful anyone of them were able to testify anything on Umbrella's top brass let alone they would never know who the hell Wesker was.

I've been looking for this myself. Issues 15 and 16 do indeed contain new info about Blue Umbrella - all of which is scattered throughout this very thread. You can only get these magazines if you purchase the gun replicas, however issue 16 was a free giveaway at TGS. Hopefully CVXFreak snagged a copy.

Top Bottom