• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:3 RE:3 Remake Thoughts

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
It looks like the Hunter are a threat only because they either didn't play test the game or they barely did. They are almost just as likely to kill you in assisted as in hardcore. And that is just one balancing issue, this game is so poorly made it's almost sad

Kuma died and then we got Kuma II, but he is still called Kuma. Essentially, this is Capcom II or III or IV, but they are just simply Capcom.

That's why the games are shitty now. I seriously doubt it is the same Capcom. It's sad, but possibly half true. I mean, maybe some of the original producers are still there, but maybe not all of them.

That's the risk of remaking a game, because the people responsible for your favorite parts may not be present and the remaining team members aren't motivated about putting them back in.

For example, it was Hideki Kamiya that was responsible for shoving "partner zapping" into RE2 and from reading the interviews, the rest of the team aren't fans of that and even the late Sugimura didn't like writing the B scenarios.
With Kamiya absent, I guess it's understandable why "zapping" is omitted.

I really didn't like those zombie plants.

Capcom, this is what a plant looks like. ?

Unless something weird happened in the lab. ??

Oh, I meant RE2. But RE3 was dumb as well.

That's why the games are shitty now. I seriously doubt it is the same Capcom. It's sad, but possibly half true. I mean, maybe some of the original producers are still there, but maybe not all of them.
If you look at the names of the producers and directors of the most recent titles, you'll know that they're mostly from the 90's or from day 1 of Resident Evil.

Yasuhiro Anpo for example worked on both RE1 & RE2.
He was brought back to be one of the directors for the RE3 remake.

Masachika Kawata is also a veteran from the 90's and he is RE3 remake's producer.

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi is kind of a "newbie" who wasn't around in the PS1 era but he was still with Capcom to program motion capture for the RE1 remake in 2002.
He is later a producer for the RE2 remake.

There are still a lot of "oldies" still running the show in Capcom today.

I'll just stick to the originals. I never cared for the endless spin off games, cash-in stuff, nor these modern day takes on what happened in Raccoon City.

Nothing beats remake 1. Nothing! ?
Call me crazy but after playing RE1 1996 again, I still like certain aspects about it more than REmake. Although it’s definitely the superior game, it cut out a lot of the charm and uniqueness out for a more serious tone. I’ll list off the pros.

-Opening cutscene did a better job properly introducing the characters. They even listed their age and blood types.
-The picture puzzle in the gallery had more depth and meaning behind it instead of just matching colors. Depicting the stages of a mans life felt like the Ashford family puzzle in CODE: Veronica.
-Hunters felt more threatening and were much harder to deal with. The same can be said for certain boss enemies like Yawn. They are much harder to death with in the original because of their speed. Their REmake version move sluggishly in comparison.
-Barry was more Barry like than in the REmake. He felt boring and his face was off putting compared to his Revelations 2 depiction that felt more inspired by his 1996 version. His voice actor also had more charisma and energy compared to REmake. His betrayal was much more surprising and less obvious in the original.
-The Old Testament of the bible quotes on the wall were removed from REmake which was odd, it would be like cutting out Alex’s quotes from Kafka if they were to remake Revelations 2.
-Most of the original soundtrack was completely changed which is a shame. Although the new soundtrack fits the remake, the 1996 version had some great tracks that should of been adapted into the REmakes. (and no not the clown fart music.)?

Those are some examples. I will always love REmake to death but people that completely dismiss the original are missing out on a unique experience. It would be like watching all the George A. Romero films but u skipped the original Night of the Living Dead because it was “too old.”

The same can be said for the recent “remakes.”

Last edited:
-The picture puzzle in the gallery had more depth and meaning behind it instead of just matching colors. Depicting the stages of a mans life felt like the Ashford family puzzle in CODE: Veronica.
In a data book, Mikami said that the original puzzle might be "too hard", which is why they switched to the stained glass one.
I still prefer the "Cradle To Grave" puzzle a lot more, for similar reasons as yours (observing the life and death of a person).
Plus when you click on each painting in the correct order, you are treated to an eerie music.
That music was cut out of the remake.

-Barry was more Barry like than in the REmake. He felt boring and his face was off putting compared to his Revelations 2 depiction that felt more inspired by his 1996 version. His voice actor also had more charisma and energy compared to REmake. His betrayal was much more surprising and less obvious in the original.
Barry was reimagined into a more psychotic version who is more than willing to kill Jill.
In the original, no matter what he does, he won't actually hurt Jill or leave her to die and only pointed a gun at her in Wesker's presence.
When Barry pulled out a gun at Jill's face before the Lisa boss battle, a part of me died.
This isn't the Barry I know.

Those are some examples.
I also didn't like:

- Removed branching paths. No more Barry rope scene, no more Pass Number file, no various Barry death scenes and so on.

- Censorship. Hunters don't decapitate you. Also, Plant 42 doesn't bisect you as a death animation.

- Removed cutscenes. Here I was thinking I'm gonna see Jill/Chris dodge Yawn, causing a hole that leads to the basement. In the remake, the hole is already there with no explanation.
I also thought I was gonna see the "remade version" of Barry defending Jill against Hunters in the cave but this was cut out due to the reduced branching paths.

- Library is hollowed out into a "boss room" for the second Yawn encounter. No more exploring hidden rooms.

- Heliport lookout room is removed in the remake. This is kinda important, since players get to see a possible means of escape if they're playing for the first time. The Director's Cut even added a crow attack for this room but the remake simply cut it out completely.

"He's behind door number 4!"-Carlos Oliveira. :D

Like we really needed reminding. Honestly! I'm just gonna stick to the originals.

Remaking RE4 before CVX is dumb, and quite honestly, does anybody believe every boss fight will be in the game? Knowing how Capcom changes stuff and omits certain content, all I think we can expect is a more serious game with better aiming. :p

I edited this, just to correct a small typo. ;)

Last edited:
"He's behind door number 4!"-Carlos Oliveira. :D

Like we really needed reminding. Honesty! I'm just gonna stick to the originals.

Remaking RE4 before CVX is dumb, and quite honestly, does anybody believe every boss fight will be in the game? Knowing how Capcom changes stuff and omits certain content, all I think we can expect is a more serious game with better aiming. :p
They will definitely remove the spider boss.

They will definitely remove the spider boss.
I feel like Capcom is distancing themselves from the "giant/zombie animal" type of enemies and focusing more on "mutant" type enemies.
There are exceptions, like zombie dogs and the giant alligator but even the alligator itself almost got removed.

The "giant/zombie animal" thing was overkill in RE0.

Making people preorder the base game for RE3, just to obtain extra costumes or original attires is kind of shoddy.

I would rather preorder RE4 and at least get a special gun, a rare type of ammo, or something that feels like we aren't being cheated. Nothing makes me excited for an original costume that should be there by default anyway. And in all honesty, people just like to preorder games for their reward points anyway. It doesn't feel like a good addition.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So sorry for reviving this but ı played the game and finished it today. I enjoyed it as more on its own thing / alternative take on re3 rather than a fully faithful game to re3. I dont mind the cut content nowadays since ı got over it.

Though ı still have some gripes and might as well share them here.

Zombies feel too much of a bullet sponge, especially pale heads who cant be killed for some reason.

Nemesis is a joke. It goes down on one grenade and drops loot which are lame and unnecessary. Though ı enjoyed the rooftop fight as well as the fights with 2nd form. Last form fight is boring.

Hunters feel cheap. Assault rifle doesnt affect them much for weird reason, ı got some reorc experience. Gammas look very stupid as well.

Overall ı think ı like it as equally as re2 2019, they are both equally " good " imo. Also why do some people say the game is too short? It took me good amount of time to complete the game. I finished it in almost 5 hours.

At the moment, News Bot is translating an issue of the SURVIVE magazine (SURVIVE is a series of real magazines, canonically written on behalf of the RE universe characters), which is related to the remake of the second game. I don't want to reveal any details so that everyone will read the work themselves when it is finished. Believe me, this material has nice details and cool callbacks for hardcore fans, so the wait is worth it.

However, I am writing this because the magazine actually acknowledges some elements of the remake as canonical. For example, Robert indeed had a wife and a daughter. And this discovery finally gives me the opportunity to freely talk about the canonicity of new remakes, because I could not oppose anything to the opinion that someone like Peter Fabiano spoke about the canonicity of remakes only for the sake of sales.

Of course, someone will try to dispute the importance of these magazines, but I don't care. I enjoyed remakes and I actually love some of their additions like the connection of the Plaga parasite with the Nemesis parasite. This makes perfect sense to me, and I am glad that I can easily use this knowledge for my analyses.

I wouldn’t take anything to heart Pete Fabiano has said since he’s only been directly involved with 7 and 8. He has since left Capcom and has abandoned the series just like Shinji Mikami. This goes back to my point that this series needs some kind of author that has a deeper understanding of the lore and won’t create more retcons. So many people jump ship and it’s frustrating, it’s like a kitchen full of chef’s putting too much in the pot. It’s fine that each game has different themes, but my god they need to interconnect them better and actually tie up the backlog of cliffhangers from prior games and movies.

I think the Plaga link is interesting as well, but we’ll see how it changes what Umbrella’s involvement was with the Los Illuminados. It has always been shady how the NE-a parasite came to be so getting more answers is always a plus to me.

Last edited:
I agree.

It's rather nippy having storylines added into the expansive lore, and while they are somewhat interesting initially, they often get left alone. This could also be because there's too many characters, and viruses, so they have a lot of material to focus on, which makes it hard to stick to one narrative.

Top Bottom