• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 RE4R Separate Ways and Mercs Update

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I finally found the track which is inspired by ada's theme in re2. It was brought back in re6 but it's missing in re2r. Thankfully re4r brought the track back. This is one of the best tracks in the series to me.

Here are the versions from re2 and re6 as comparison. For re6, it also comes back during the credits sequence of ada's campaign, it's very heartwarming to hear.

I still cannot get the damn DLC to install. I know I've said that like three times by now, but my connection is just so very lame. With my mobile data, it's not much better, to be honest. :D

Having only seen minor spoilers, I look forward to playing it, which will hopefully be tonight. But my God. It could take hours to download.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I'm still surprised that they made the laser scene even more andersonesque than ever before. Ada can get killed during the gameplay similar to the deaths happening in 2002 movie. Personally ı think this is the best laser dodge sequence executed in the series, it's so cool and stylish seeing ada to trick a monster into getting killed to it.

Ada gets decapitated by laser.jpg

This was a screenshot ı took.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
With the release of ada's scenario, ı still find it more bizarre when the survival horror elitists keep dragging their holy rules about the series in regards to that " genre " . Like ı saw some re4r fans claiming that re4r is more " survival horror " than not only re5 and re6 but also re4, even though it feels more " arcadey " than re4, re5, re6 and rerev games combined. I see the games starting from re7 to revillage a preparation for re4r as a way for capcom to please the horror side of the fandom with " realistic " excuses seen during the interviews of re2r but with re4r, they went out all and managed to make the game even more " action " oriented than those examples combined. Like... ı'm glad they did this cause personally ı enjoy action elements more than horror elements but ı also prefer to see it more as a new game with much more heavily inspired re6-rerev2 inspired gameplay with re4 skin on top of it. I wished they made another game like this except it being an actual new game with an actual new story. I wished they brought back ots perspective for the remaining games with actual new stories as well. Separate ways' core gameplay loop alone felt like one of the most fun games in the series.

I wished they brought back ots perspective for the remaining games with actual new stories as well. Separate ways' core gameplay loop alone felt like one of the most fun games in the series.
I think you can be guaranteed that moving forward they will have the over the shoulder camera, as they went to the trouble of adding a 3rd person camera to RE8 a year after it released. It means people were complaining enough about it that they actually did something about it. I see that move as a positive sign for the future. Of course I had no way of knowing they would eventually do that, but I wish I had waited so I could have played it for the first time in 3rd person.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think you can be guaranteed that moving forward they will have the over the shoulder camera, as they went to the trouble of adding a 3rd person camera to RE8 a year after it released. It means people were complaining enough about it that they actually did something about it. I see that move as a positive sign for the future. Of course I had no way of knowing they would eventually do that, but I wish I had waited so I could have played it for the first time in 3rd person.
I still didnt play revillage. I dont like re7 and after getting frustrated over both re2-3r, ı skipped the game. I looked up to the update and apparently it seems to be a mod but it's not designed properly? They still dont show ethan's face. It wouldnt matter since ı dont see him as a character but adding a separate camera update to a game featuring a protagonist full of empty husk seems like a waste. For the next game with an actual new story, ı think it should be designed with ots perspective in mind rather than adding a separate update to a game designed around 1st person.

I still didnt play revillage. I dont like re7 and after getting frustrated over both re2-3r, ı skipped the game. I looked up to the update and apparently it seems to be a mod but it's not designed properly? They still dont show ethan's face. It wouldnt matter since ı dont see him as a character but adding a separate camera update to a game featuring a protagonist full of empty husk seems like a waste. For the next game with an actual new story, ı think it should be designed with ots perspective in mind rather than adding a separate update to a game designed around 1st person.
It was officially added as an optional camera mode and it works like their normal over the shoulder camera (Ethan does turn his face away from the camera but that is a design choice). The point I am making is they didn't need to do that a year after release. It shows that Capcom are listening to the feedback that the fans want a 3rd person camera. Also the Shadows of Rose DLC was only in 3rd person, with no first person option. I am sure RE9 will have a 3rd person camera.

Last edited:
Well, I had to dive to the bank on Friday as I was overdrawn. Turns out the new DLC had to be purchased. I honestly wasn't surprised, and that's fair too, considering how long it is. But it hasn't even been installed yet. I decided just to attempt to do it with my broadband which is incredibly slow, as my hotspot kept turning off on my phone when I went out of reach, and it was slow as well. But the good news is that it's looking like it will be ready to play at 11 tonight. I hope.

I wanted to stream it, but YouTube makes you wait a day, and I need a new SIM. Meh.

The calculated time keeps changing.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı finished my 2nd playthrough of ada's scenario as of now. I battled saddler just like u-3 normally and enjoyed them more this time. For saddler, ı managed to initiate a special finisher. Basically ada tricking him by throwing her knife only to fly away with her hookshot before performing a surprise attack and finishing saddler with her knife through a very stylish way. That's one of the best finishers ı've ever seen in the entire series, it honestly reminds me of the knife finisher claire can pull on nosferatu as well as the counter attacks you can pull against simmons in re6. In og game, performing a knife move on saddler was also possible but here it's improved to a whole new level. It's absolutely amazing, ı'll try to find a video to share it here.

Carla re4r.jpg

I also took this screenshot. I managed to make a carla mod work by applying specific fan patches. Will stick with this mod probably from now on, might as well apply another one about re6 leon with his china outfit too.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Re4r ada mercenaries.jpg

Re4r wesker mercenaries.jpg

Played mercenaries with ada and wesker for the 1st time. Both of them are insanely overpowered, much more than re5 and re6's cases. It also felt much more easier than ever before, wesker particularly is straight up broken.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Did anyone unlock handcannon in re4r here? From what ı saw, apparently you need to get s ranks with all characters in at least one map but ı think with the update, this is changed? Apparently it's easier to obtain the weapon this time, more so due to mercenaries being easier than previous portrayals as well.

Yeah. The remake feels like an entirely new game. How they play out each chapter is nothing like the original, so you have no idea what to expect. I also like how the music isn't as distracting in this version.

The original 2005 game has that repetitive drumming sound like from bongos, which gets kind of nippy after a while.

Yep. It's still a shooting game at heart, but it's definitely one of Capcom's best efforts to date. And Ada's voice actress isn't as bad as the haters make out. I also think they improved the graphics, so the colours don't look as bleached out.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah. The remake feels like an entirely new game. How they play out each chapter is nothing like the original, so you have no idea what to expect. I also like how the music isn't as distracting in this version.

The original 2005 game has that repetitive drumming sound like from bongos, which gets kind of nippy after a while.

Yep. It's still a shooting game at heart, but it's definitely one of Capcom's best efforts to date. And Ada's voice actress isn't as bad as the haters make out. I also think they improved the graphics, so the colours don't look as bleached out.
I'm playing leon's story for the 1st time on steam, ı played the game before through other means but on steam, ı'm still playing his scenario for the 1st time. I'm quite enjoying it, much more than ı did in fact. I think the game left a poor impression on me at 1st due to the lack of a playable ada scenario but with her scenario taken into account, the game is growing on me. It's the opposite of how ı feel about re7 and re2r where ı grew more and more darker towards them to the point ı played re3r without buying it somewhere else and ı still didnt play revillage. Glad ı'm enjoying it the more ı play it. I'm also using re6 mods to swap leon and ada's outfits and it increases enjoyment more. And in regards to wesker, re4r also has my favourite iteration of mercenaries but re6 mercenaries is still my favourite.

Did anyone unlock handcannon in re4r here? From what ı saw, apparently you need to get s ranks with all characters in at least one map but ı think with the update, this is changed? Apparently it's easier to obtain the weapon this time, more so due to mercenaries being easier than previous portrayals as well.
That was the case in the original also. Get 5 stars with every character in every map and that unlocks the handcannon. Keep in mind though the conditions I mentioned didn't account for the additions of Ada, Wesker, and the Docks map.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
That was the case in the original also. Get 5 stars with every character in every map and that unlocks the handcannon. Keep in mind though the conditions I mentioned didn't account for the additions of Ada, Wesker, and the Docks map.
So this means you need to get s ranks in the 1st 3 maps with leon, luis, krauser and hunk then? Yeah in og game, you need to get the highest ranks with all characters in all maps.

I'm playing leon's story for the 1st time on steam, ı played the game before through other means but on steam, ı'm still playing his scenario for the 1st time. I'm quite enjoying it, much more than ı did in fact. I think the game left a poor impression on me at 1st due to the lack of a playable ada scenario but with her scenario taken into account, the game is growing on me. It's the opposite of how ı feel about re7 and re2r where ı grew more and more darker towards them to the point ı played re3r without buying it somewhere else and ı still didnt play revillage. Glad ı'm enjoying it the more ı play it. I'm also using re6 mods to swap leon and ada's outfits and it increases enjoyment more. And in regards to wesker, re4r also has my favourite iteration of mercenaries but re6 mercenaries is still my favourite.
Glad you're enjoying it and cool that everyone else for the most part is.

My only issues with the game besides the obvious story changes is the hit detection and the aiming. The aiming and shooting mechanics I recall has been brought up by you guys before, but is it just me or is anyone else having issues with the awful hit and collision detection in this game?

When I say collision detection, an example I mean is when playing the Village in Mercenaries when I try to jump out of a window if my character is anywhere near a Ganado and they do something in the form of a push or grab it pretty much cancels whatever action my character does. I mean I know having invincibility frames from the original carried over here could have decreased difficulty in a non-intended way, but it's so annoying just trying to get from one place to another and I can't do something that simple because the Ganados can stun lock you out of everything.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Glad you're enjoying it and cool that everyone else for the most part is.

My only issues with the game besides the obvious story changes is the hit detection and the aiming. The aiming and shooting mechanics I recall has been brought up by you guys before, but is it just me or is anyone else having issues with the awful hit and collision detection in this game?

When I say collision detection, an example I mean is when playing the Village in Mercenaries when I try to jump out of a window if my character is anywhere near a Ganado and they do something in the form of a push or grab it pretty much cancels whatever action my character does. I mean I know having invincibility frames from the original carried over here could have decreased difficulty in a non-intended way, but it's so annoying just trying to get from one place to another and I can't do something that simple because the Ganados can stun lock you out of everything.
No you arent the only one, ı know others who pointed the laggy aiming and hit detection being carried from previous re engine games here. However despite that, ı still find the gameplay more enjoyable, compared to re2r for example, you can utilize laser with more guns even though one of them is a paid dlc rather than an unlockable. That being said, ı wished there was an option to swap between crosshair and laser like in re6 and rerev2 cause the shooting and melee are still the most enjoyable at those games for me but re4r comes very close to those games' gameplay feel compared to previous re engine games.

Yes, exactly! That was how I got the handcannon rather than going through the higher difficulties.
I see. I unlocked handcannon in og game before but ı might try to unlock it here too, especially since it's easier here than og game.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yes, exactly! That was how I got the handcannon rather than going through the higher difficulties.
Replying to this again but ı just unlocked handcannon by getting a s rank on island with wesker. From what ı looked up, apparently you need to get at least s rank with one character in the 1st 3 stages and then you unlock handcannon. It was really, really and really easy to the point ı didnt even need to try that much. I even died while playing as wesker on island and ı still got a s rank. I'll upgrade its stats later but from a quick aiming, the gun's recoil is way too big. Like even if ı move the camera while aiming, it still effects the crosshair. I feel that ı still prefer elephant killer in re6 cause that's probably my favourite magnum revolver in the entire series along with the game's incredibly smooth mechanics. It seems that it also doesnt carry over to separate ways meaning it's only usable with leon. I wished it could be usable as ada like how sheva and sherry can utilize magnum revolvers in re5 and re6 too.

Top Bottom