• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 RE4R Separate Ways and Mercs Update

Hey everyone, not sure if anyone else has started on the DLC, I just got my hands on it but while I was waiting for Separate Ways to finish downloading I went in with Mercenaries with Ada and subsequently Wesker. Wanted to give quick impressions.

Ada plays about how I expected her to play. Similar to the other characters we got before and overall good and enjoyable.

But Wesker on the other hand, holy mother of God!!

Wesker was the best character in Mercenaries in the OG 4 and he's really good in 5 also. In this game though... my man can melee from a distance now. His melee attacks are strong enough to kill opponents without softening them up. Said melee attacks also have a wide range easily hitting (and likely killing) multiple opponents. He has no knife and counters with his hands, and that hand counter has less precise timing than the knife. His super mode activates melee only that gives him flashy and strong attacks very much like his son Jake in RE6.

Wesker pretty much breaks this game now 😂

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I watched the cutscenes of ada's scenario as of now. I think ı prefer it over both assignment ada and separate ways in og game. It felt much more like a proper scenario similar to re6 and rerev2 and ada being able to utilize her hookshot during gameplay reminded me of re6 quite a lot too. After watching it fully, ı think this is one of the best interpretations of ada along with re6 and damnation, a lot more better than re2r where ı couldnt stand to her at all. Here she comes off more compassionate in regards to her passion for others. I still dont like the interactions between her and leon where they are on screen since leon comes off quite submissive but compared to re2r, ı think ı like ada much more here than that game's interpretation of aeon as well as more than leon in this game too. I think this is also my favourite interpretation of wesker right now, my number 1 favourite of his portrayal automatically. I like his blue shirt along with holsters very well, it reminds me of leon's china outfit in re6 to the point ı saw mods that changes leon's outfit to wesker's in the game. Personally ı never liked ada and wesker's relationship before but in this game, ı actually like their relationship, wesker even appears in the field to help ada and ı found that quite interesting. In og game, all he did was to sit on a chair and gave orders but here he takes more active role during the story which reminded me of darkside chronicles. Verdugo also comes back as hallucinations for her after ada getting infected with plaga liquid and ı think that adds to her character development which ı think connects very well to damnation and re6. The monster later mutates to u-3 and ı found that boss fight excellent too. Ada also teams up with luis at various times during coop sections and that reminded me of re6 too. She even watches luis' interactions with leon when he was about to die and ı found that quite saddening. Despite not appearing to save leon from krauser directly, luis still saves him from krauser and ı took that as her influence given to luis very cleverly. I still dislike krauser in the game, ada doesnt seem to battle him but since ı dislike him here, ı guess ı can be glad that ada doesnt battle him here. He doesnt seem to work for wesker here from my understanding and even wesker dismisses him to the point they show wesker at the end obtaining a corpse which ı think is meant to be krauser's according to the previous guidebooks. Laser scene is brought back here and ada is shown dodging the traps to avoid the monster ( which reminds me of the baby from revillage since you're supposed to run away from it. ) very stylishly. Even the soundtrack is clever, they bring back ada's theme from re2 ( which came back in re6. ) here ( unlike re2r that doesnt have the track ) and that made me about to cry from happiness. Even one of wesker's dedicated themes from re5 is brought back at the end which ı suppose could be taken as an indication of re5 being planned to give re engine treatment? But overall ı think this is one of the best dlcs in the series and ada and wesker are my favourite characters in the game. I like their relationship this time unlike og game. I didnt play the scenario right now, ı'm planning to buy the game just cause for ada's scenario alone, ı think it's worth it.

I put my statements into spoiler here, if you want me to remove it, let me know.

Last edited:
I put my statements into spoiler here, if you want me to remove it, let me know.
So happy to read your thoughts on Separate Ways mert. I know you have struggled to enjoy the current era of RE games, so it is great that this has got you excited to dive in and play!

I just finished my first playthrough on hardcore (the new era normal) and really enjoyed it. It genuinely feels like a full scenario and even includes weapon upgrades which wasn't in the original. I really took my time and soaked it all in and finished in 12:30 which of course doesn't count all the deaths towards the end.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So happy to read your thoughts on Separate Ways mert. I know you have struggled to enjoy the current era of RE games, so it is great that this has got you excited to dive in and play!

I just finished my first playthrough on hardcore (the new era normal) and really enjoyed it. It genuinely feels like a full scenario and even includes access to the merchant for weapon upgrades which wasn't in the original. I really took my time and soaked it all in and finished in 12:30 which of course doesn't count all the deaths towards the end.
Thanks! I finished playing her scenario right now, did it on standard like ı played leon's scenario previously to get the most intended experience. Overall my thoughts are the same as usual except ı enjoyed playing it even more than watching its cutscenes. Personally ı think re4r is one of the best games in the series just due to ada's scenario alone and judging the game while taking her scenario into account, ı think this is one of the most unique games in the series at the same time. Despite carrying " resident evil 4 " title on the cover along with its faithfulness to og game, at the same time, it still felt enough like a new game and a much refreshing one to me. It felt much more like playing re6 and rerev2 with re4 skin on top of it. I'm honestly surprised how much ı enjoyed it cause ı thought ı was going to dislike it like previous re engine games but it became one of my favourite games in the series.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I just noticed something interesting. In the Steam depot for RE4 one of the Unknown DLCs has now changed to Separate Ways as expected, but there is still 1 unknown DLC listed

View attachment 2163
What do you think that is? Maybe wesker will be playable in the story? They state in the game about the island not being destroyed completely. Maybe they'll show wesker's adventures through it kinda like umbrella chronicles? Basically to show him getting krauser's corpse which has dominant plaga sample inside.

What do you think that is? Maybe wesker will be playable in the story? They state in the game about the island not being destroyed completely. Maybe they'll show wesker's adventures through it kinda like umbrella chronicles? Basically to show him getting krauser's corpse which has dominant plaga sample inside.
I thought that it was going to be a paid DLC (like a costume or weapon) that released at the same time as Separate Ways, but that didn't happen. So possibly something related to Assignment: Ada but you play as Wesker instead collecting plaga samples and fighting Krauser at the end

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I thought that it was going to be a paid DLC (like a costume or weapon) that released at the same time as Separate Ways, but that didn't happen. So possibly something related to Assignment: Ada but you play as Wesker instead collecting plaga samples and fighting Krauser at the end
That would be interesting, do you think it will be a free update or will it require additional purchase? I bought the game on steam recently to play as ada during her scenario but ı may not be able to purchase another dlc as soon since ı bought too many games these days so it would take some time to give more precise thoughts about that after playing it.

That would be interesting, do you think it will be a free update or will it require additional purchase? I bought the game on steam recently to play as ada during her scenario but ı may not be able to purchase another dlc as soon since ı bought too many games these days so it would take some time to give more precise thoughts about that after playing it.
Separate Ways was $10 so it would have to be less than that. It will probably just end up being a free Mercs update anyway, but we can dream

Glad to see everyone here enjoying their time with the DLC. I've had a couple of days now to dive into the game and I finished Separate Ways once, but will go back for Hardcore and Professional.

Overall, the DLC is good and feels much more fulfilling than the original. Same kinds of additions we got in the main story carried over in here and it was very appreciated (weapons capable of upgrades, mini quests, some story mysteries explained like how Krauser bought the Red Warhead RPG Leon uses). It's also longer than the originals 5 Chapters and I also really appreciate how Ada fights certain monsters she never did in the original (Regenerators, Iron Maiden, U3, Novistadors).

Gameplay was the best thing for me about this DLC. I love how Ada uses her hook shot much more in this DLC and incorporates it into her attacks especially being able to attack from a distance. It makes her far more badass, but it also helps mitigate the annoyance of this game having multiple enemies on you and getting stun locked to death.

The story I was overall fine with and I liked seeing Ada being responsible for freeing Luis at the start. Seeing Wesker actually more involved with the story was a nice change, too. Ada actually having more character and being less emotionless was the best thing for me about this DLC so I welcomed that with open arms. The only complaints I had about the story are the deviations that just don't sit right with me; Krauser no longer seemed to be working with Wesker, Ada never fights Krauser, and the biggest one for me: Ada suddenly having (what seems to be) a cybernetic implant in her right eye that let's her see fingerprints and footprints. That last one didn't muddy the overall enjoyment I had with the game, but yeah, Ada is a step closer to being a cyborg...

And finally I LOVE the unlockables. Ada gets an updated dress plus her RE2 Remake look, even a blonde wig that looks good on her, Luis gets his original look, and so does Wesker (even though his updated costume is good, too). Chef's kiss there. Now we just need Wesker and Luis costumes in Mercenaries lol.

Overall, a solid DLC in my opinion.

Now I need to get back to breaking the Mercenaries minigame with Wesker and get the highest scores possible!

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I'm glad being able to buy rocket launchers in ada's scenario this time is possible. I bought 2, 1 for u-3 fight at the castle and another for saddler. U-3 fight kinda surprised me after blowing it with a rocket at 1st since you fight another form after that. Saddler however was even more easier than og game's boss fight with ada, something that ı struggled quite a lot at the time until being able to beat it more easier recently by stunning it constantly. Here however ı bought a rocket and blasted his mutant form fast.

I'm glad being able to buy rocket launchers in ada's scenario this time is possible. I bought 2, 1 for u-3 fight at the castle and another for saddler. U-3 fight kinda surprised me after blowing it with a rocket at 1st since you fight another form after that. Saddler however was even more easier than og game's boss fight with ada, something that ı struggled quite a lot at the time until being able to beat it more easier recently by stunning it constantly. Here however ı bought a rocket and blasted his mutant form fast.
Well keep in mind U3 in the original had more than 1 phase also.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Well keep in mind U3 in the original had more than 1 phase also.
True but here you dont go through a setpiece sequence for the fight unlike og game where after it, you can blow the monster with rocket launcher before finishing it with a few strikes. In re4r however, after shooting the rocket at the monster, the cutscene triggers where it felt like it was over only for the monster to get up to trigger the next phase where it goes underground to attack ada through hidden spot. It's definitely not a bad thing though, ı enjoyed the surprise immensely.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Re4r wesker: Complete local saturation.

Re5 wesker: Uroboros will be released into the atmosphere, ensuring, complete, global, saturation! Sigh...

Just another way re4r ties to re5 in regards to wesker.

Another one would be ada calling merchant " stranger " , something that leon or ada dont do in og game. That reminded me of leon referring to helena as a " stranger " after them meeting up. I think it's one of those ways the game ties to re6 as well.

Re6-ada-so cute.gif

Top Bottom