• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Movies Death Island spoilers. Credit goes to cvxfreak!

RE fan "cvxfreak" seen Death Island, and wrote up a summary of the plot for the latest animated film. And wow. LOL.

The plot summary is available here. Spoilers are present throughout, of course. You have been warned. If you want to wait to see the movie, then just do so. :)

"dinocrisissux" is the password to view the blog entry. Leave out the quotes, though.

Cheers. :p

I read a little (I stopped) and it looks tame and I even appreciate Jill and Chris's characterization.

But why do I feel like it's going to jump the shark and ride a rocket car into space? lol

It's funny you should make that comparison about space, because someone on GameFAQs said something similar about the movie series with Vin Diesel, which has gone into space.

Yeah. The franchise is ridiculous. I guess this movie just confirmed what we felt all along. Capcom wants to keep on milking the IP for as long as it prints the dollars. There had been gossip doing the rounds about maybe Chris retiring, but if what I think is now the case, I don't see it happening.

I see RE as an action saga now with cheesy, silly plot aspects. More so than ever before. There's other horror games that are definitely scarier now. I think people are going to eventually jump ship if another franchise grows in popularity, which I half doubt will occur in this day of age. It probably would have happened by now.

Provided you mark up any spoilers, I guess so. I suppose we will take it as it's a "do so at your own risk" kind of thing.

I believe Chris references Piers at one point, but the English version normally doesn't have the same dialogue as the proper Japanese release. But it would make sense to fill in Jill on his past missions. Which is kind of what I felt Chris should have explained to Leon when he seen Leon drinking out of self-pity.

It felt somewhat wrong to overlook this detail, whether it was so minor or not.

I highlighted what I believe could be a small spoiler.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Provided you mark up any spoilers, I guess so. I suppose we will take it as it's a "do so at your own risk" kind of thing.

I believe Chris references Piers at one point, but the English version normally doesn't have the same dialogue as the proper Japanese release. But it would make sense to fill in Jill on his past missions. Which is kind of what I felt Chris should have explained to Leon when he seen Leon drinking out of self-pity.

It felt somewhat wrong to overlook this detail, whether it was so minor or not.

I highlighted what I believe could be a small spoiler.
Wait... Does this mean in english va, chris doesnt mention piers when speaking to jill but in japanese script, he does? That's a whole new level of localization low if it's true. And yeah ı agree with you that he should have brought up piers when speaking to leon too.

But anyway my thoughts about the film so far is that ı think it's a step up from vendetta and especially infinite darkness. However ıdk if it can replace damnation from my number 1 favourite spot. From what ı've read, ı like the way leon, jill and rebecca are handled in the plot but this time it's chris and claire who are handled disappointingly. At one point, both of them get captured and even leon gets into trouble from maria. Thankfully jill doesnt get captured this time and from watching leaked scenes, ı didnt find myself disliking her voice portrayal like how ı've seen many do so. However there isnt enough chris and claire interactions in the movie and seeing claire get captured again after infinite darkness feels repetitive. Leon-jill team up seems to take over all other character interactions in it. And all characters except jill get infected as well. Meaning ada is the only playable protagonist who made multiple playable appearances at numbered games without being infected with anything.

Last edited:
I just read what cvxfreak typed up, but it did sound like Chris explained this to Jill.

I always thought it was funny how he was so affected by the mission in RE6, but people died in Vendetta and RE7, but he didn't get drunk. Maybe he has learned to live with it.

Personally, I know people imply Chris got weak. But it wouldn't be realistic if he always saved everyone in the literal sense. There would be a lack of fear. People like his men died to enhance the story. It also shows what the villains are capable of.

Like in Batman Forever how one mistake allows Two Face to get away in the first 10 minutes of the movie. It shows he's someone you don't mess with. 😌

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I just read what cvxfreak typed up, but it did sound like Chris explained this to Jill.

I always thought it was funny how he was so affected by the mission in RE6, but people died in Vendetta and RE7, but he didn't get drunk. Maybe he has learned to live with it.

Personally, I know people imply Chris got weak. But it wouldn't be realistic if he always saved everyone in the literal sense. There would be a lack of fear. People like his men died to enhance the story. It also shows what the villains are capable of.

Like in Batman Forever how one mistake allows Two Face to get away in the first 10 minutes of the movie. It shows he's someone you don't mess with. 😌
I think that's one of the reasons why ı found chris' utilization disappointing in death island, due to the fact that the survivors of his new silver dagger unit dont return but maria does. He only loses 1 person from his unit in vendetta, he wasnt even the captain of the mexican team or the unit in re7, he was sent as an advisor in those 2 examples. In revillage, he doesnt lose anyone from his hound wolf squad either, ethan dissolves into nothing but he already died at the start of re7. I used to be bothered at chris' actions but ı eventually found myself disliking mia over chris, ı think everything that happened to ethan is her fault through and through. I also agree with you that dylan as an antagonist isnt as interesting as carla or arias since he doesnt kill anyone from chris' team. The lack of drama due to the result of chris not losing anyone makes his journey look boring to go through.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont think the family has much relevance to this plot either. They were established as a shadow group benefitting from the events all over the world but ever since after re6, they arent featured in the next plots, not even in cgi films. I still like seeing hunnigan here though and ı think maria fight with the way it's described looks awesome but she still returns without arias, to me she should have died in vendetta cause seeing her returning here dont seem to play much of a purpose other than teaming her with a new antagonist. I wished she was the antagonist for all of the characters in this movie, not just leon where he kills her by himself. Regardless ı dont dislike her as much as mia.

Last edited:
To me, this sounds like "the game that got away." It's funny how it has taken Capcom this long to put so many iconic characters together. Five of them. Six if you include Ingrid, although she's really just intel for Leon. She's not really an iconic character, I suppose.

Dylan Blake may be a villain for this movie only, but his ties to Raccoon City's downfall means it feels like he kind of fits in. I honestly see this movie as the RE4 we never got. What RE4 should have been like, where Umbrella is finally confronted and then defeated by characters who loathe what they stood for.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
To me, this sounds like "the game that got away." It's funny how it has taken Capcom this long to put so many iconic characters together. Five of them. Six if you include Ingrid, although she's really just intel for Leon. She's not really an iconic character, I suppose.

Dylan Blake may be a villain for this movie only, but his ties to Raccoon City's downfall means it feels like he kind of fits in. I honestly see this movie as the RE4 we never got. What RE4 should have been like, where Umbrella is finally confronted and then defeated by characters who loathe what they stood for.
I can see that. But ı dont think he's much related to hunk, is it? Dylan seems to be part of uss but the movie doesnt reference hunk from my understanding. And yeah ı also think that umbrella's downfall should have been the end of the series. Both umbrella's downfall as well as wesker's defeat should have been showcased in the same story where all re1-2 characters would reunite to take them down but their takedowns were shown in separate stories instead. So far there's still not a story that reunites all re1 cast together. This movie came close but it's still missing barry. Re6 also came close with its re2 reunion but claire doesnt appear other than being mentioned at various points.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Imo ı think it should have been chris and leon who should have been captured, not chris and claire. It would have been much more new and it would have resulted in much more unique jill-claire interactions where they would battle monsters together. Making claire getting captured again right after infinite darkness feels really repetitive. This is her getting captured 4th time in a row. Recv, rerev2, infinite darkness and now death island. Compared to other recurring characters, she gets captured much more throught the series. What's even the point of making her chris' sister so that he would train claire like an inspiring sibling should do if she needs to be rescued by someone else at the end?

Last edited:
Top Bottom