• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Blue Umbrella

They put some into the files you have in your inventory in the begining of the dlc, plus new information like the founding date and their reasoning behind the name

It doesn't really matter about the finer details because its still reopening a plot point that was already concluded for no other reason than to continue to keep Wesker significant to the series and as an excuse to bring back a huge series staple like Umbrella. A Resident Evil game with 'Umbrella' in it will stir interest and that's all Capcom want at the end of the day because unlike the days of Flagship where the story was planned out to an extent, we no longer have that now - a problem exacerbated by the fact there is no clear villain. Back then we had Umbrella, Spencer and Wesker to branch off. Now Capcom are struggling with the story and direction of the series because there is no longer any 'glue' that binds everything together. Different writers coming and going is another problem. De Sato may have no interest in Tricell so decides to jettison that huge plot potential in a passing remark for Rev2's intro - immediately that scuppers another writer who let's say hypothetically wanted to use Tricell in his RE7 pitch. Now Tricell doesn't exist so he has to create yet another new company. - And so it goes on. The Family, Veltro, the FBC, Simmons, Norman, Lansdale - these are not hitting the same notes with fans as Wesker, STARS, Umbrella, Spencer did before. Capcom realise this and are now returning to that familiarity of Umbrella to try and rekindle interest. They've already been doing it with Wesker. He's been dead 9 years and since that time we've had his son, his 'sister', his weapons research, and never-ending rumours of his resurrection. - Just move on Capcom!

Wesker's Umbrella resurrection plans were concluded and ultimately he went in a different direction. There is no story requirement to revisit it and story integrity is being put to one side to for the sake of its inclusion. It's the sheer ludicrousness of Umbrella being allowed to reform and operate as a PMC given all they did. People have made comparisons to the like of bringing back the Nazis but with the promise they'll now be good. It's just too daft to be taken seriously. It has already harmed other pre-existing plot lines like Neo-Umbrella and now we're faced with essentially a pointless story reboot of Chris/Leon and co having to work to bring down Umbrella all over again.

The rival company and all the stuff hidden behind it is excellent, but its the use of Umbrella that is just not needed and could so easily have been removed. The plot of RE7 could be absolutely identical to what we have now, just replace the Umbrella Corporation logo on the helicopter with HCF and replace Chris with Hunk/3A7. That is what Capcom should have done. But Chris and Umbrella will sell more copies and bring in more money.

Although obviously I want the rival company to be behind Umbrella, it certainly won't surprise me whatsoever if that doesn't turn out to be the case. Whilst the evidence is there, nothing is set in stone.

There's nothing to say Blue Umbrella simply are not just exactly who they claim to be, resurrected by former members with the intention to do good but with a few bad seeds in there who want to return to the clandestine practices of the original company. Blue Umbrella will inevitably be rotten, but it doesn't have to be linked to Wesker or the rival company in any way whatsoever. Likewise the Wesker weapons research can easily just be what it is claimed to be and was just seized and passed onto Umbrella after his death and only named after him because it was his research. The Executive in UC may just be interested in the village because it is where Las Plagas were first encountered. He may feel like he was there when it went down because he has access to the Kennedy Report and Leon's field notes. There's loads of ways this can be played.

Both possibilities have equal measure I feel at this point.

On an unrelated note, where does it mention the Mold is 'virus-accentuated'?

It depends on who you mean by CAPCOM. There are those who see RE as a cash cow and little else, and those who genuinely care about it's universe and direction. Regardless of who ordered that Umbrella needed to come back, it's clear the writers have made an honest effort into making the best of it and advancing the plot regardless.

Tricell was never presented as anything but a one-off company. Every established villian in that group is dead. Likewise with the Family - every villian introduced is dead, with a lazy open ended line about a new leader serving as a back door.

At the closing of RE5, very little was actually "needed". What we needed was something to carry the series forward that also established a firm connection to the lore and backstory, which RE5 didn't eave much room for.

Technically, we didn't "need" to see the Rival Org return at all, yet if it truly ended with a single line in a file without revealing anything about their true nature or using them in any way with a sense of finality, it would have been a black mark on the series as a whole.

The issue of separate stories having no relevance in the grand scheme of things is effectively solved now - I'd be genuinely suprised if future writers kill off BU in a single statement after all the build up. I just worry about obscure recent material left open ended, like t-Howard and Maria.

The only game Wesker was forced into was RE6. If you want to complain about his central role in the story, blame CV, Umbrella Chronicles etc. Alex was created in RE5, and a story with her involving Albert is hardly forced.

His gun research is a part of the "Umbrella Reborn" angle. That plot point wasn't so much resolved as it was dropped. The explanation made sense, but it wasn't in the least bit satisfying. Everything attached to that plot - Wesker leaking perfected T, the UMF-013, the Ada and Krauser lines in RE4 - was rendered pointless.

The fact of the matter is the plot is exactly the same now as it would be without the name "Blue Umbrella". The "finer details" are the actual crux of the whole story, yet people only acknowlege the name. Neo Umbrella is the only contradiction, and even that can be explained away. Krauser seemed to see Wesker's group and Umbrella as one and the same. Umbrella having been rebuilding all this time fits retroactively, and Ive yet to hear an example that makes me see it cheapen or contradict past material apart from Neo. If anything it just makes the series more unified, for reasons i've pointed out multiple times already.

It's sad to me to see everyone overlook everthing good about this and obsess over the name. Chris, Leon, and Co would have to take down Tricell or the Family too - would that also be a reboot? It's all about perspective. Besides, BU is a PMC, not a pharmacutical company. It's already different enough to see how they could take the same route in a different way.

Tying the executive into the events of RE4 and having BU carry around weapons literally called "Albert W" makes zero sense in any other context. The writers aren't that incompetent, and there is no precedense to support such an utterly pointless direction. Saying that possibility is just as likely is a huge exaggeration.

That line was in a CAPCOM behind the scenes presentation. The same one with the concept art for the "melting men" Molded. News Bot pointed it out - I can't read Kanji.

Those that do seem to genuinely care have long since left Capcom. This is evident by the succession of one-off stories we've had with no attempt to craft a long-standing storyline. That is what has left people frustrated. Shotaro Suga for example held the creative keys for a long time, being a writer for Degeneration, Darkside Chronicles, Damnation and a co-writer on 6. What a missed opportunity that was to craft something bigger than what we ultimately got. I've been saying for years that the story has gone nothing but sideways since RE5. They had pretty much a blank slate to work from and what we've had has been profoundly disappointing compared to what came before.

Tricell were presented as much more than a one-shot deal. 5 gave us an extensive backstory for them which is much more than we ever got for the likes of WilPharma and The Family. We also got the tease from Degeneration about how they acquired the G-Virus and bought out WilPharma. That was heavily significant at the time because it was WilPharma that took over from Umbrella as the world's largest and leading pharmaceutical enterprise. Then there was all the stuff in Revelations about their deal with Lansdale and co-creating the t-Abyss virus, a project Tricell wanted to exploit the marine bio-weapons market. Even after the events of 5 there was no evidence implicating them in anything that happened in Kijuju because M.Suzuki had wiped away all the evidence. I remember a prevailing theory at the time of 5's release was Tricell being able to blame Excella Gionne and her African team as operating independently with known bio-terrorist Albert Wesker. There was still Tricell Europe, Tricell Americas, Tricell Middle-East and Tricell Asia-Pacific. Basically the foundations were there to really develop Tricell in future titles but all that potential was discarded for the sake of a throwaway line in the introduction to Revelations 2 - a line that was completely inconsequential to the story.

I'd argue the rival company did need to be addressed post RE5 because that and Ada Wong were the only two things that were left resolved from the old plot line. The idea of the rival company falling because Wesker 'used all their time, money and resources' is a very ambiguous statement. Considering they were key players behind the scenes in RE2, CVX, Darkside and 4, they shouldn't just disappear without trace.

I don't expect BU to be killed off in a single game either and I'm pleased for the first time in years we do have a continuing storyline, but I just feel that storyline is just incredibly pointless and completely unnecessary.

Wesker has been forced into pretty much more than 6. And the gun research doesn't have to be related solely to his plans for bringing back Umbrella. That research was done for his personal goals, and the revival of Umbrella was just one of many such goals and one he eventually abandoned. They are numerous ways this can be played out. The guns may be named after him in a posthumous attack on his character with the irony of Wesker's name being used to destroy the evil Wesker created, in the same way Umbrella kept their name to right the wrongs they created.

Yes the story would be exactly the same - and that is another reason why the return of Umbrella is so infuriatingly pointless. Neo-Umbrella is one contradiction and the fact Blue Umbrella exists at all is what cheapens and undermines past material. Wesker's goals for an Umbrella revival was something sinister and not going to be a legitimately operating PMC pretending to do good. It doesn't 'unify' anything, it spoils it.

I think everyone overlooks it precisely because the name is what spoils what is a good and engaging storyline. Remove the name you remove the problem and nothing else is lost. That's the simple truth. If the question why Wesker never revived Umbrella had not been addressed in 5, then there would be a narrative reason to include it, but it was answered satisfactorily. And Umbrella being a pharmaceutical company or a PMC is largely irrelevant. It's still a corporation pretending to be good that is secretly evil and develops bio-weapons. It's even run by the same people. Exactly the same as the original storyline.

And the importance of this executive is being dramatically overplayed in my opinion. He was invented to serve the quick 5 minute storyline drafted up for Umbrella Corps. I'll wager we'll never hear from him again. No doubt in future titles when the people behind Blue Umbrella are revealed, people will inevitably try to link them back to this executive, but we'll never get official confirmation because he really isn't meant to be that important. That's probably why he was never given an identity.

It's one thing to suggest the writers not being that incompetent, but you are playing your entire hand banking on a storyline that is by no means set in stone.

Thanks for that about the Mold.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
In terms of villains (just villains, not corporations) all we have left is Maria and apparently, Natalia. I'm just wondering what Capcom will do with these two. They both have potential, Maria had a small role in Vendetta and we got to know her character a little bit, if she's well developed in the future, we might be on the verge of having an established villain for the first time since 2009. We already know her origins but she was nothing more than a minor villain in the movie, just imagine if that minor villain ends up being something big in the future? This would be the first time ever in the series, since we never had a small villain from one game being developed into a main and regular villain in the upcoming sequels.

Maria has the potential to fill that gap right now, it's up to the writers. If I remember correctly, Vendetta acted as some sort of reboot in the CGI films, right? I mean, Degeneration and Damnation had nothing to do with each other... Maybe Vendetta is set to be some sort of trilogy where all the CGI movies from this point on are connected. If that's the case, Maria might only be returning in the CGI movies but we still can't confirm that for sure.

As for Natalia, I still have hopes that she'll be returning in one of the numbered titles or Revelations but Blue Umbrella appearing out of nowhere makes me wonder what's in store for the games in terms of villains.

I gotta be honest here, I won't be surprised if we don't hear from Maria or Natalia anymore. Capcom has the tendency to leave a lot of things unclear... I thought they surpassed that problem after playing the fantastic RE5 but after that.... They're back at their good old days again! lol

SMH. Another Wesker tie-in with Natalex. I forgot about that one even.

Its like Capcom follows Hollywood franchises to the 'T' (pun intended) with RE.

Can't have a RE game without Umbrella and Wesker just like you can't have a Start Wars film without a Skywalker, you can't have an Alient film without Ripley etc.

Maria I think we will never hear from again Cap unless she has some type of appearance in the next CG film, maybe some type of cameo? I doubt it though.

There's also Jessica and Raymond. I'd very much like to see Raymond, Jessica and Ada play off against each other as they are basically in the same business. I'd also like to see Jessica become the Krauser equivalent for Chris but that's wishful thinking.

We'll never know Bats, Jessica, Raymond, we still don't know what the hell Ada is all about and neither does Capcom unfortunately.

At this stage I would be happy with an Epilogue style menu for 8 or so characters with a one sheet picture and some text like we got at the end of RE 3 in one of the upcoming titles but I doubt we'll even get that.

My days of giving Capcom too much credit are long gone.

Captain Redfield

"Maria I think we will never hear from again Cap unless she has some type of appearance in the next CG film, maybe some type of cameo? I doubt it though."

My vote goes for the next CGI movie, especially considering that Vendetta is some sort of Reboot. Maybe they really are planning a connected movie-verse with Vendetta? I hope so.

"There's also Jessica and Raymond. I'd very much like to see Raymond, Jessica and Ada play off against each other as they are basically in the same business. I'd also like to see Jessica become the Krauser equivalent for Chris but that's wishful thinking."

Almost forgot about those two Batman. I'm hoping to see something similar but with Maria instead of Jessica.

As far as we know, Maria has motives to return and become a major villain for, at least, one story. Chris literally killed her whole family (I know that Arias wasn't a brother or anything but they were pretty close), that's enough reason for Maria to come back with major plans to avenge the deaths of her father and Arias. Also, by doing this, they stay true to the movie's main title Vendetta and that the first movie was just the beginning of something bigger.

I would love to see something like this, a small villain growing up to become a major threat is something we never had in the series before.

Just like you, this is wishful thinking of course... I mean, they need to address these cliffhangers, Maria, Natalia, Jake Muller, like what the hell? It's like they don't even know what they are doing.

For example, in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the post-credits scene with Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver... It was an indication that those two would eventually have a prominent role and they were used correctly in the next story. Capcom just makes all these post credits scenes (or cliffhangers) and fails to deliver us some proper execution/conclusion of what was shown... Heck, they don't even execute them, they just thrown them under the bus.

I'm kind of a demanding fan when it comes to the story and having cliffhangers that take us nowhere because of the writer's incompetence just makes feel very frustrated.

O the story line is completely broken. Every one here thinks so save for Evil Resident of whom he puts really good and detailed posts including the opener to this thread but bottom line is he is relying on plot pieces from an now old game and its multiplayer contents that he has never actually played.

I use to be reeled into all this fishbait, hook and all and even believed Capcom was hitting their stride at one point but after years of no released content and the disappointing story from Not A Hero (you wouldn't even know the basic story if you didn't read the pamphlet or go to the pause menu and read the in-game file / there's a VERY brief conversation Chris has with Veronica in an mine elevator) I have all but given up hope.

The ultimate smack in the face came in the form of Chris in the lab area with loads of confidential files scattered about but you cannot read them.

Capcom is making this up as they go along and its so frustrating.

Captain Redfield

Agree with everything you said buddy. But I'm not exactly talking about Blue Umbrella, even though its existence in RE7 completely undermined previous plot points.

I'm just tired of these cliffhangers that take us nowhere... Mark my word, they're gonna pretend that Maria, Natalia and Jake Muller never even existed.

@Weskers Report : Well its not so unusual for gaming franchises to keep rehashing some of its plot elements, actually that sort of thing tends to occur especially when the series gets way long and the story writers change and don't care too much to tie all or even some of the loose ends. Shinji Mikami himself has once said that he wished the RE series span as many titles as the James Bond movies. To be honest that analogy kind of ends up making sense because most bond movies are standalone stories with few recurring villains, and most of the time they are shaped by the writers and the actors culture and ideas/trends and how the movie serves as a platform to express their personal views (in the case of Bond all about world threats, espionage, technology, plus the extra spice of depicting the rich playboy lifestyle on the edge (cool cars, alluring wowen, nice suits and gadgets).

@Captain Redfield

Indeed. I think we will never see Maria and Natalia again.

They might be mentioned in some RE.net file but that’s the best we’ll ever get.

I think Jake you might see a bit more of since he was in a numbered title but don’t expect too much, maybe in the next Manga wit her Sherry?

Jessica, Raymond, Parker, forget them.

I feel confident saying Parker’s last appearance was in Heavenly Island.

Herein lines the problem.

NONE of these characters got a proper send off.

All of them had these fuckin cliffhangers that’ll never be followed up on.

It’s really awful writing.

@mark5luck: the problem we have here is that since 2009 the series has been going sideways instead of forward.

There hasn’t been any proper linear plotline or villain established for almost 10 years now.

I honestly think Capcom is trying to just bide their time and keep us distracted with REmake 2 as well as 3 release (I think their working in both) to keep us happy whilst they figure out where to take the series, because at this time, imo, they don’t know.

I don´t mind if they wrap the games up by releasing remakes of RE2 + RE 3 (as long as they get the same nice treatment REmake got). The rest could be dealt with Manga, CGI movies. and try to give a better closure to these unresolved cliffhangers.

Most of the hardcore fans must feel like their faith is waning more and more over time, and not as much excited as before, RE 7 had some cool moments and had the old vibe of mansion setting, brought back some of the eerie and tense moments to the games, but the main game ending and the NAH and EOZ DLCs don´t provide much hope for people that didn´t want a "soft-reboot" with this Blue Umbrella stuff.

It would please many more if they just said that HCF got into the legal business and pushed Wesker´s research and legacy further. But hey, its always better to play it safe and throw Umbrella logo here and there, so its one step forward and two steps back.. But maybe there is a redeeming aspect coming up for the next game which could lead to improvements of the storyline who knows? Likely not, but we´ll always hang on to hope (even when there´s "no hope left"... no pun intended)

Those that do seem to genuinely care have long since left Capcom. This is evident by the succession of one-off stories we've had with no attempt to craft a long-standing storyline.

And that is where we differ on opinion. The lack of a long standing story arc is due to the lack of cooperation between teams and RE5 leaving almost nothing to build off of - it killed off Wesker, Spencer, and the Rival Org. Tricell's bioweapons involvement was spearheaded and led by Excella, and she died.

Despite the lack of cooperation, the level of consistency in new stories is remarkable. It goes to show they do care, even though many haven't had a clear vision on where it should go. RE7 was a love letter to the original horror direction, and the development team behind REmake 2 are fueled by their own position as RE2 fans. The overly cynical and nihlistic attitude of fans gets really old.

It's still a corporation pretending to be good that is secretly evil and develops bio-weapons. It's even run by the same people. Exactly the same as the original storyline.

How would a story about Tricell be any different? It's not run by the same people - the RU executive members are dead or in prison.

With all the claims people make about them running out of ideas, each game puts forth new and original concepts. Rev2 and RE7 are among my favourite games in the series, I generally like RE6 (for all it's glaring flaws, there is enough redeeming content for me to still enjoy it, at the very least as a game), and the only post RE5 story I wish didn't exist is Gaia, but I'm not entirely convinced it is meant to be taken as a serious canon entry.

What they have lacked since 5 is a way to put it all together, but they still have no problem creating creative stories. Now they have the means to tie these stories together, which has made me very excited for the future

I know it technically isn't set in stone, but everything is too well put together to be a coincidence. Even though the supporting evidence is obscure, once you identify it, it isn't exactly subtle

If I'm wrong, then I'll suffer for it myself, believe me.

O the story line is completely broken.

WR, no offense to you personally buddy, but this statement and those like it is a perfect example of the kinds of statements that turn me off to the community. It is fuelled by an emotional outburst rather than reason.

What frustrates me most is the unending hyperbole. You'd think CAPCOM were Umbrella itself with the way fans carry on. I have to wonder why people continue to subject themeselves to trying to understand the story when they despise it so. As someone actually happy and excited with the current direction, it's just depressing.

multiplayer contents that he has never actually played.

I havent played it because I use an Xbox right now,and competitive shooters don't really interest me anyway. I enjoy it's story material, and have researched it thoroughly.

Capcom is making this up as they go along

That's not true.

----

Here are the plot points that NEED to be addressed:.

1. Ada

2. BU/Rival Org

3. The Connections and the Mold

4. Natalalex

5. The Family

1 and 2 are deeply interconnected, so the introduction of BU actually may help move 1 along. 2 and 3 are simultaneously going on right now, so they aren't an issue. 4 is still new, and it being adressed is inevitable (Natalia needs time to grow up)

Minor plot points that should be addressed, but are ultimately not very important:

1. t-Abyss

2. t-Howard

3. Maria

That's it. Follow up stories to characters like Jake, Raymond, etc would be nice, but are absolutely not nessesary. They dont have cliffhanger endings. A user from old Biohaze made a nice point that having so many characters eliminates small world syndrome. Not everyone needs to be a regular

Captain Redfield

I wouldn't consider Maria a minor plot point, she's a mutant. How are they supposed to let a mutant simply wandering around? Especially for us the viewers... And considering that cliffhanger, it makes no sense to simply throw her under the bus. This could work out pretty well if they decide to make a coherent movie-verse that takes place in the canon (like the 3 CG movies we had) but at the same time acting as direct sequels to the previous one.

I still consider Jake to be a huge part of the story, post credits scenes always tend to hint at something in every single story you see (movies, TV Shows etc). If they didn't want to use Jake anymore then they shouldn't have made that post credits scene, that clearly leaves players in the expectations that he's coming back.

People might always use the excuse that this or that isn't that important but post credits scenes usually set up a possible sequel and Capcom still doesn't know how to use that "tool".

The first Revelations was released after RE5 but it takes place before. Now, let's just pretend it was released before 5, that scene with Chris and Jill heading to the Spencer Estate and then RE5 came out without even telling us what happened there and the protagonists of RE5 were Claire and Barry instead of Chris... Would you consider that post credits scene not that important if that really happened in the past?

We are in a similar situation now, where Capcom leaves some cliffhangers hanging around without even caring about the aftermath of introducing said scenes in the first place.

You know how much I care for the story buddy but this new era definitely pales in comparison to the RE1-5 arc and it isn't because RE5 killed off the main villain... Look at The Family, Capcom could've sticked to that and this would probably result in a better story than the one we have right now. The Family is so mysterious and I'm willing to bet that there's a lot of empowered people behind it. Basically, you cut off one head but two more will take its place, this was enough to build an ongoing plot point without undermining what happened in the past... Instead, Capcom just toys around with some ideas here and there and to make things worse we have some intentional cliffhangers that might take us nowhere. What's the point of the latter? Are they kidding with our faces?

The story is a mess because Capcom wants to and having disconnected plot points doesn't help either since this affects the continuity of the story.

Maria is minor when compared to the first 5 I mentioned. She's an Arias goon from a one off story. I actually liked her more than I thought I would, so it's not a matter of personal taste.

Jake is off doing good on his own. He is no more important than any other side character. The difference between him and others is his relation to Albert, yet people seem to be tired of Albert-related plots...

Notice I said I want them and other characters to come back. They just don't need to.

BU is set up in such a way that it can tie together the whole series. Jake and Alex would be interested in a group so heavily related to Albert. Ada is connected to the Rival Org, which is now BU. The Family seek order, and so may be in open conflict with BU.

It doesn't cheapen half as much as it strengthens. Going back through the series with the knowledge of BU, it strikes me as remarkable how much it fits. Forget your preconceptions and try looking at it in a different light - I did, and it made me appreciate the series as a whole even more.

RE needed a central focus, now it has one in the form of a group that has been MIA for far too long. People are blowing something as trivial as a name way out of proportion, and almost no one seems to care about the positives. At least Batman acknowleged the good parts and appreciates them - that's more than I can say for most.

Just to catch up quickly Batman and I share pretty much the same views on Blue Umbrella but he enjoyed RE7 whereas I did not.

EvilResident I have to disagree with you on somethings. You said previously that Tricell had no surviving villains which is not true. There was Jessica and Raymond as well as Suzuki. Who does Blue Umbrella have? Nobody has been established. Like Bats said and I mentioned previously you are banking on plot arch’s which haven’t even been established yet. People finished Resident Evil 5 with the impression Tricell would be the main villain org moving forward and look what happened. If you are 100% confident Blue Umbrella could not potentially be ignored/scrapped or retconned moving forward you could be setting yourself up for disaster. Like I said before don’t you find these blanked out files and lack of confirmation a tad bit suspicious? If Capcom wanted to ditch/change this storyline it really wouldn’t take much effort.

Also yes Resident Evil 5 closed off a lot of open plot arch’s which is more than you can say about any other RE game. Can you imagine Spencer still on the run and Wesker still cherry picking viruses for some unknown reason after all this time? Resident Evil 5 did us a favour by closing off that storyline it was a long overdue finale. The blame for the lack of progression with the storyline post Resident Evil 5 has nothing to do with that game. Would you blame Return of the Jedi because Force Awakens didn’t have enough plot arch’s left? I mean why even continue if you don’t have a story to tell. Surely we must be looking at the post 5 games and ask what have they been doing since then? RE5 gave us a rich backstory arguably a better prequel story than the actual prequel game. It also killed off two characters who were going nowhere and set up a new potential villain org and even an antagonist.

Capcom obviously got cold feet due to not having the Umbrella/Wesker name anymore for financial gain probably including merchandise and so on like WR suggested. You keep saying that bringing these names back ties up the story but it really doesn’t. If reviving an old name for nostalgia sake ties up the story then it’s not good enough. Unless you mean the Wesker/Rival Org situation in which case yes I agree they are investing into an old plot thread but that doesn’t change anything about the Umbrella name.

Raymond and Jessica are spies, not Tricell leaders. BU has the executive and the Rival Org. I never saw Tricell as being set up as anything but a vehicle for Wesker and Excella.

I hate having to come across as an opponent of RE5 in these discussions. It is the game that introduced me to the series, the one Ive spent the most time with, and in my top 3 RE games (tied with RE2 for second place). I appreciate as much as anyone it's story, but the fact remains that the series has failed to find a unifying plot to tie events together since then, with everyone sort of stalling with one-off stories until BU came along.

Dusk Golem provided some lore regarding RE7, and claimed so much of the story hasn't been told yet. While some have disgarded his info as false, it has been shown reliable in the past. The file with redacted names omits the name of the Mold and interested parties, yet it doesn't suggest they have no plans going forward. The Mold follows a certain pattern in how it works that has not been broken - perhaps i'll start a thread about it later.

Examine all the supplementary information, and it has clearly been thought out. From US bankruptcy code to the references to RE4, of all games. They can't be making it up as they go along, especially since each new piece of information only supports otherwise, like the 2007 founding date or it's role as a PMC

Bringing back the Rival Org and Wesker's plans involving his own group built using seized Umbrella assets like the UMF-013 are the parts i'm so strongly defending as moving the series forward and strengthening the overall narrative. Literally calling it Umbrella is indeed unnessesary and easily the weak link in this plot. But it is not so bad as to overrule everything else, as it still can fit, and works thematically with the perpetual focus on Umbrella throughout the years and the immortality and rebirth themes.

I can imagine that not being thrilled with RE7 can't help put faith in your mind about the BU plot. But this angle was apparantly planned out for 6.5 as well, which was before the current team was involved. My enthusiasm for RE7 is independent of my support of this storyline, although both contribute to my optimistic outlook.

Captain Redfield

RE5 really helped the series a lot to me and I dare to say that it is masterpiece story telling for RE's standards. As I said, the story is only a mess because of the writer's incompetence post RE5, they are creating numerous plotholes without even knowing what to do. "Ohh let's create this Family organization... Oh wait, how about the son of Wesker? A post credits scene foreshadowing his prominent role in the future sounds cool! Wait, what about Alex Wesker? No,no, no... How about Umbrella being back?"

If they had only foccused on one established arc post RE5 none of this mess would've happened. It's up to them to create new stories, the arc from RE0 to 5 was gorgeously told and closed in such a coherent way.

After RE5 we should've really had the Family (sounded like a great idea) and even exploring the character of Ada and her organization more but no... They opted for multiple plot points that are now floating in the ocean.

You know that I highly respect you buddy but RE5 was class when it came to the story. It isn't the game's fault that the writers are out of ideas and failing to do their jobs correctly.

Top Bottom