• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 Do you want a Resident Evil 4 remake?

Do you want to see a Resident Evil 4 remake someday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, I played. To be fair, the game on this difficulty seemed to me even more difficult than the classic games that were frightening.

But I think it needs something else. I haven't thought much about it, so I can't give an accurate assessment. It's more like I just wasn't scared to play this game, it had other accents in the game design, sound design, and so on. As a horror game, it just didn't work for me.

The re4 devs along with mikami didnt want that same pre-re4 mainline experience for re4 either plus one of back of cover arts for re4 uses statements like " Forget the survival horror. " and something like that.

Yes, I remember this, although I think Mikami seems to have forgotten about it himself, because his The Evil Within was supposedly intended to "bring the genre back to its roots", although Resident Evil 7 reminds me of the classic survival horror much more.

I agree that Resident Evil 4 is focused on action, the game has such a focus. I even think that the fact that ammo and money fall from enemies encourages players to kill more enemies. This doesn't really fit the classic vision of the series, when we could even allow ourselves to be bitten to save resources.

But Resident Evil 4 also proves that its mechanics and concepts can be good tools for survival horror. As a recontextualization of a genre.

Resident Evil 5, which used the mechanics of Resident Evil 4, was not so scary, but there was Dead Space, which, on the contrary, became even more scary. And the game was very similar to Resident Evil 4, even using its mechanics.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Tbf re2 had t-103 in b scenario which dropped loot when defeated and re3 also had nemesis which dropped briefcases when defeated. So re4 having dropping loot mechanism isnt new.

But anyways; ı also remember seeing somewhere that according to mikami; the series started to become more action oriented with re2. And ı agree with this cause for me; re2 is also more action oriented than the 1st game and re3 / recv are more action oriented than re2 as well. So the action change didnt suddenly happen with re4.

Might as well share this statement of mine when it comes to survival horror cause this is the best time to share it:

For me; the main reason why pre-re4 main entries ( plus outbreak games ) are survival horror is due to exploration being more of a focus over combat. ( They arent very linear most of the time and exploration requires a good amount of effort when compared to action horror trilogy. ) Re7's 1st half and re2 2019 are also similar to those games when it comes to this.

As for 4 / 5 / 6; the main reason why they are action horror is due to combat being more of a focus over exploration. ( They are very linear most of the time and exploration feels streamlined and less impactful when compared to pre-re4 mainline entries plus outbreak games. )

Rerev games are survival horror that balance action and horror well. They are middle ground and focus on exploration and combat equally. Though ı dont like how rerev, a more survival horror oriented entry, drops the ball on inventory and decision making. Thankfully 2nd game fixes that game's issues.

Will drop these videos too cause ı got my ideas from these, btw ı dont agree with everything he says in those 2 videos:

Ruby of blue's ranking:

Re1: 5 / 1 / 4 / 4
Re2: 3 / 2 / 2 / 3
Re3: 3 / 3 / 3 / 5
Recv: 5 / 3 / 3 / 2
Remake: 4 / 1 / 4 / 4
Re0: 5 / 2 / 5 / 4
Re4: 4 / 4 / 3 / 5
Re5: 4 / 4 / 2 / 3
Rerev: 3 / 3 / 1 / 3
Re6: 1 / 5 / 1 / 1
Rerev2: 5 / 4 / 3 / 5
Re7: 3 / 2 / 4 / 3
Re2 2019: 4 / 2 / 4 / 4

My ranking:

Re1: 5 / 1 / 5 / 4
Remake: 5 / 2 / 5 / 4
Re2: 4 / 2 / 4 / 4
Re2 2019: 4 / 3 / 4 / 3
Re3: 4 / 3 / 4 / 5
Recv: 4 / 3 / 4 / 4
Re0: 5 / 2 / 5 / 4
Re4: 3 / 4 / 3 / 3
Re5: 3 / 4 / 2 / 2
Rerev: 3 / 3 / 1 / 2
Re6: 2 / 5 / 2 / 2
Rerev2: 3 / 3 / 4 / 3
Re7 1st half: ( From start up to the point where you obtain both keycards and unlock lucas' gate ) 4 / 2 / 4 / 3
Re7 2nd half: ( From the point where you obtain both keycards and unlock lucas' gate to the ending ) 2 / 2 / 3 / 2
Re7 not a hero: 2 / 3 / 2 / 1
Re7 end of zoe: 2 / 3 / 2 / 1

And this is another ranking that ı made, it doesnt involve numbers to have more accurate comparisons:

Exploration ( From most to least meaningful )

Re1 > Remake = Re0 > Re2 > Re2 2019 > Re3 = Recv > Re7's 1st half > Rerev2 > Rerev > Re4 > Re5 > Re6 = Re7's 2nd half > Re7 not a hero = Re7 end of zoe

Combat ( From most to least complex )

Re6 > Re5 > Re4 > Rerev2 > Rerev > Re7 end of zoe > Re7 not a hero > Re3 > Recv > Re2 2019 > Re2 = Re7 > Remake = Re0 > Re1

Inventory ( From most to least management )

Re0 > Re1 = Remake > Re2 > Recv > Re3 > Re7's 1st half = Re2 2019 > Rerev2 > Re4 = Re7's 2nd half > Re5 > Re6 = Re7 not a hero = Re7 end of zoe > Rerev

Decisions ( From most to least impactful )

Re3 > Re1 = Remake > Re0 > Re2 > Recv > Re7's 1st half = Re2 2019 > Rerev2 > Re4 > Re5 > Re6 > Rerev > Re7's 2nd half > Re7 not a hero = Re7 end of zoe

Last edited:
Oh, yes, I just recently watched this video.

In fact, I don't agree with this scoring system a bit, because the game experience depends on many factors, including subjective ones.

For example, take Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 2. These games are very similar, but if Resident Evil 2 is a game-game, then Resident Evil 7 is an game-experience.

Resident Evil 7 has mechanics that the game uses only as a storytelling tool, not to create deep game situations. For example, stealth. You can hear many times why the first hour of the game is so focused and scary, but that's because we look at everything through Ethan's lens. The game uses some of the ideas of modern horror games to highlight the hostile environment and lack of ability to protect yourself.

Even the battle in the garage is not so much an interesting battle with the boss, as a direction designed to show the inevitability and capabilities of Jack. This is not even my opinion, but what the authors of the game said.

When Ethan gets a weapon, stealth becomes a half-measure. You can pass unnoticed by your pursuers to save resources, and focus all your attention on ordinary enemies.

In the middle of the game, stealth is no longer used, because Ethan no longer needs it, as he has enough weapons and resources to fight back.

In the end, Ethan just kills everyone because he went through this character evolution. I would even add the ability to hit enemies with his fist. It won't be a deep mechanic like in Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6, where it was always there and then developed through various game situations, but it will highlight the character's progress.

But these videos were an interesting thought experiment. Definitely, the games in the series are very different, even if they are similar.

As you said, the mechanics from Resident Evil 4 are not new. The form of mechanics with drop was in Resident Evil 2, and Kamiya and Sugimura, when talking about it, said that the series will change, opening doors to players. But Resident Evil 2 is still a survival horror that has other accents.

But anyways; ı also remember seeing somewhere that according to mikami; the series started to become more action oriented with re2. And ı agree with this cause for me; re2 is also more action oriented than the 1st game and re3 / recv are more action oriented than re2 as well. So the action change didnt suddenly happen with re4.

We can not say that Resident Evil 4 in the form in which it came out, was inevitable. Especially when we know the early versions of the game. It's just a different direction.

Wouldnt be surprised if they cut separate ways while handling ada, her character as well as her section in the same way she was in handled in re2 2019 tbh. I dont think they would change her design that much though.
I wouldn't mind it if they cut out Separate Ways. Quite honestly I don't like Ada very much, so I really don't care. Her and Wesker are my least favorite characters of the series. She should NOT be cut out from the story, though. That's a huge no-no.

And as for designs, I personally think they should get the models that they used for Ada and Leon in RE2R to do the face captures again. Not sure if it'll happen with Leon though since a lot of people didn't like his RE2R design, mainly because he looked too young. He's 27 at the time of RE4 so they might opt to get someone more older-looking. As long as he doesn't look wildly different like Chris did in RE7, it's fine. All other characters should be kept true to their original designs as much as possible. I wonder how they'll redesign Ashley. Will they stay faithful to her original look, or will they make her a slutty college girl? lol

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah; there are some other factors like stealth which adds to the decision making. And there are also some streamlining factors which decreases decision making.

The videos dont go into depth for re4 separate ways, re5 jill dlcs, rerev2 the struggle dlc ( Little miss is a one giant stealth minigame and it cant really affect anything just like some of re7's canon dlcs. ) and re7's action dlcs. These are important too since they are canon. He's also short sighted when it comes to recv and re6 since he doesnt take some things into account.

I wouldn't mind it if they cut out Separate Ways. Quite honestly I don't like Ada very much, so I really don't care. Her and Wesker are my least favorite characters of the series. She should NOT be cut out from the story, though. That's a huge no-no.

And as for designs, I personally think they should get the models that they used for Ada and Leon in RE2R to do the face captures again. Not sure if it'll happen with Leon though since a lot of people didn't like his RE2R design, mainly because he looked too young. He's 27 at the time of RE4 so they might opt to get someone more older-looking. As long as he doesn't look wildly different like Chris did in RE7, it's fine. All other characters should be kept true to their original designs as much as possible. I wonder how they'll redesign Ashley. Will they stay faithful to her original look, or will they make her a slutty college girl? lol

Well; ı like ada and ı would be really annoyed if they cut separate ways. I would be less bothered if they cut assignment ada tbh since it's not canon so that separate ways can be improved. ( I would be bothered however if ada's outfit from that minigame is cut. ) Regardless of what would be cut and what not; the game at the end wont be canon and a replacement for og game so the decision of remaking / reimagining more games is a waste of time anyway.

I thought people liked leon's re2 2019 design? A lot disliked it? Arent you talking about hunkfield design in re7 and jill's design in re3 2020? I liked his design in re2 2019 tbh; it's just that ı dont like how his character was handled plus the unnecessary backstory change and ı think darkside chronicles handles him much better as a character. That game feels more faithful to og re2.

Last edited:
Yeah; there are some other factors like stealth which adds to the decision making. And there are also some streamlining factors which decreases decision making.

The videos dont go into depth for re4 separate ways, re5 jill dlcs, rerev2 the struggle dlc ( Little miss is a one giant stealth minigame and it cant really affect anything just like some of re7's canon dlcs. ) and re7's action dlcs. These are important too since they are canon. He's also short sighted when it comes to recv and re6 since he doesnt take some things into account.

Well; ı like ada and ı would be really annoyed if they cut separate ways. I would be less bothered if they cut assignment ada tbh since it's not canon so that separate ways can be improved. ( I would be bothered however if ada's outfit from that minigame is cut. ) Regardless of what would be cut and what not; the game at the end wont be canon and a replacement for og game so the decision of remaking / reimagining more games is a waste of time anyway.

I thought people liked leon's re2 2019 design? A lot disliked it? Arent you talking about hunkfield design in re7 and jill's design in re3 2020? I liked his design in re2 2019 tbh; it's just that ı dont like how his character was handled plus the unnecessary backstory change and ı think darkside chronicles handles him much better as a character. That game feels more faithful to og re2.
Speaking of Separate Ways, I just remembered how hard the Saddler boss is. That Saddler fight should have been the one used in the main game. The one Leon faced-off was a complete joke. But of course, what's an RE game without a big transformation at the end? I really hope they make it harder in the remake.

I remember reading some articles around the time the game came out talking about how some fans didn't like his design (as well as Claire's) because they felt he was too young-looking. One of them was from kotaku.com and it showed multiple tweets with these criticisms. This is where I got that from, but I guess they were the minority?

I love DC, mostly 'cause Krauser's in it. I'll never get why they decided to make the Chronicles games spin-offs, especially Umbrella Chronicles, seeing as this was the game where Umbrella was literally destroyed. Kind of a massive event to the story. One of the stupidest things they've done in my opinion, but the games are crazy good.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Ugh; dont remind me of that lame boss battle in separate ways. It's such a qte fest; like the game doesnt allow shooting ( And sometimes expends a " bullet " despite that. ) when you're required to perform a qte.

I agree that the boss leon fights is very easy but ı enjoy it; ı like easily taking saddler down with leon.

It might be minority like you said. Though ı dont blindly believe to majority, ı like to form my own opinions. For me; leon and jill are better designed in re engine than redfield siblings.

As for chronicles games; ı wasnt bothered that much by them being spinoffs but ı agree that the way umbrella is taken down is a missed potential. It could have been handled better.

As for krauser; you're right that krauser in darkside has good character development but ı still feel like he should have never existed in the 1st place and in his place at re4, bruce should had existed since dead aim is the game that establishes the usstratcom organization. They could had pull a rivalry between him and leon instead of creating krauser out of nowhere. That way; the game would be connected better to re lore. They still can pull that rivalry if they want though it would require some effort. Wonder what he's doing at dso now...

Call RE4 the "John Cena of RE games". LOL! It's not a good RE game. Hell no. But it is a great horror adventure game in its own right.

The thing is... does it really require a glossy PS5 era remake? RE4 isn't terribly old, but I guess it's not that new anymore. 2005 kind of feels like it was an eternity ago. And I actually liked 2005 in general. It was a good year. However, I think RE4 really did set the bar for action shooters and so it doesn't really need a remake this early on. I'd be quite concerned about them toying with the idea of removing things and that's a big no-no to hardcore RE fans that would instead rather see the story expanded upon somehow.

By the way, Gamescom is beginning this evening. It should start roughly about 7 PM in the UK, as in 7 BST. I'm not sure if Resident Evil Village will appear today, as the event is running until this Sunday...

It's worth taking into consideration Capcom's decision to remake RE4 from a business perspective. No, RE4 may not need a remake, for whatever the reason (though personally I like that it's happening), but that's neither here nor there. After seeing the financial and commercial success of RE2R and RE3R (even though RE3 didn't get that good critical reception), they know people will FALL IN LINE to buy and play these titles. They'll keep on remaking RE titles because they know it'll make them money. I honestly don't think Capcom cares about what the fans think, or what they want. They only care about the paper. ?

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Yeah it really does look like they are aiming at the consoomer type not the usual fans. RE3 was already a halfassed failure, I heard the RE4 team is different and bigger so who knows how it'll go. I don't really know what to expect from it, I have to see a trailer

Capcom is about as greedy as the movies industry. If a film is projected to earn 5 million in ticket sales, and it 'only' makes 4 million at the box office, they dismiss it as a "flop". LOL! Capcom is just gonna keep whoring out semi-decent action-horror games until they hit the mega bucks they are aiming for, no matter if the quality just ain't there to begin with.

RE4 is a great action game to play when you want to unleash that inner beast. It will always suck as a RE game overall, though. Yeah, it has shades of RE, but I'd say that it also largely doesn't feel like RE at all, when compared to RE2, 3 and so on.

Also, I can't say I like that Capcom made all these in-between prequel type spin off games that should have been sequels anyway. Then they released them years after their sequels were out, at least in terms of where these titles stand in the timeline. So that just had you scratching your brain. 'Chronicles' this, 'Outbreak' that, and they put 'Revelations' somewhere in there as well. Ah, it's nuts! :D

I hope "Village" won't be a filler type game that largely disconnects itself from the lore. It also doesn't feel like a sequel game. Oh, it's a sequel to RE7, yes, but then again, that was NOT even actually a sequel to RE6. And well, you get the picture. :)

How much you wanna bet that Chris is in RE8 for 15 minutes, tops? LMAO. Like, I'm sure he'll probably assassinate Mia at the start and take Ethan away with his men. When Ethan escapes from the wrecked van, you'll do other shit for probably around 95% of the game, and maybe confront Chris about killing Mia at the end for an estimated 5 to 10 minutes. What happens after that, is anybody's guess. But I just think they're putting Chris in the trailers and stuff, to try to assure fans that this is Ethan and Chris' story, but I think Chris' role will be relatively minor, compared to the "man you never see" - Ethan. They have this all planned out. Market Chris in the promotional stuff, but make it all about the avatar from a country afar. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah it really does look like they are aiming at the consoomer type not the usual fans. RE3 was already a halfassed failure, I heard the RE4 team is different and bigger so who knows how it'll go. I don't really know what to expect from it, I have to see a trailer
Interestingly enough it seems like it wasn't that way before RE2R. Back in 2018, before RER2 was released, the director of the game did an interview where he mentioned a potential re-remake of RE1. Don't know if anyone's read it but he said in that interview that he thought it was an interesting idea, but that they didn't want to "feed into the nostalgia". After the success of RE2R, however, they realized that nostalgia sells. Now they're going where the money's at, regardless of what the fans want! Personally, I really hope they remake CV after RE4 and also RE1. I know it's an unpopular opinion but I am dying to experience RE1 again, with new and advanced technology. REmake still holds up today but the graphics are not nearly as good as the ones now. It just seems awkward having a game from 2002 stand side-by-side with ones from 2019-2020.

Yeah I read that it was originally going to be made solely by the RE3R production team, but then shortly after I read something new about the RE2R team also being involved. I think Capcom might have decided to add in the RE2R team last minute after the RE3R fail to make sure that the RE2 team keeps the RE3 team in check so that they don't ruin RE4R--kinda like supervisors, in a way. Thank god they did so.

Capcom is about as greedy as the movies industry. If a film is projected to earn 5 million in ticket sales, and it 'only' makes 4 million at the box office, they dismiss it as a "flop". LOL! Capcom is just gonna keep whoring out semi-decent action-horror games until they hit the mega bucks they are aiming for, no matter if the quality just ain't there to begin with.

RE4 is a great action game to play when you want to unleash that inner beast. It will always suck as a RE game overall, though. Yeah, it has shades of RE, but I'd say that it also largely doesn't feel like RE at all, when compared to RE2, 3 and so on.

Also, I can't say I like that Capcom made all these in-between prequel type spin off games that should have been sequels anyway. Then they released them years after their sequels were out, at least in terms of where these titles stand in the timeline. So that just had you scratching your brain. 'Chronicles' this, 'Outbreak' that, and they put 'Revelations' somewhere in there as well. Ah, it's nuts! :D

I hope "Village" won't be a filler type game that largely disconnects itself from the lore. It also doesn't feel like a sequel game. Oh, it's a sequel to RE7, yes, but then again, that was NOT even actually a sequel to RE6. And well, you get the picture. :)

How much you wanna bet that Chris is in RE8 for 15 minutes, tops? LMAO. Like, I'm sure he'll probably assassinate Mia at the start and take Ethan away with his men. When Ethan escapes from the wrecked van, you'll do other shit for probably around 95% of the game, and maybe confront Chris about killing Mia at the end for an estimated 5 to 10 minutes. What happens after that, is anybody's guess. But I just think they're putting Chris in the trailers and stuff, to try to assure fans that this is Ethan and Chris' story, but I think Chris' role will be relatively minor, compared to the "man you never see" - Ethan. They have this all planned out. Market Chris in the promotional stuff, but make it all about the avatar from a country afar. ;)
Yeah the whole series does feel disconnected. The story timeline makes sense but every game almost feels like its own universe. I mean RE7 takes place in the American south and now RE8 (likely--given that the currency shown in the trailer is the Romanian leu) takes place in Romania (probably in the Transylvania region given that there's vampires and werewolves involved lol). They went from SAW meets Texas Chainsaw to Dracula/Van Helsing meets Blair Witch. I really do wonder what RE9 has in store. Maybe it'll be Star Wars meets Alien vs Predator and we'll be in space? Lord only knows what's going on in their demented minds haha.

I really hope we don't see much of Chris. I've already posted this in the Unpopular Opinions forum but I'm honestly quite OK if Chris dies in RE8, like a lot of people are speculating. I'm quite tired of the Redfields. They need to bring some of the other characters back, and as long as Chris is alive they just won't seem to do that. Yes I'll be sad, he was my favorite character of the series at one point, but he's hogging all the attention!

It doesn't really make sense to shove the Winters in Europe, if they're Americans. My guess is that they wanted to live a "normal life" away from the place they were in, or Chris advised them to do so. I think it has been confirmed that they were cured of their infection, but I'm not sure. Probably more so this is another case of Capcom being Capcom as always. Just making up something nonsensical for the hell of it, for whatever plot the game can assemble together. It's clear that they'll cut and paste assets into another game. That's what they do...

One thing about Revelations is that, it's a good game, but other than the ending, it's a game that does little to enhance the overall story. And no, why count Manga books as enhancement? I know they continued Parker's story, but it's not like you're experiencing it in a game. I'm not counting books. Nobody cares about that. :D

About the Redfield siblings dying: Alex Wesker is supposed to return. So I doubt she let Claire and Barry survive. I'm just dying to know why Chris has did what he did. :sick:

It doesn't really make sense to shove the Winters in Europe, if they're Americans. My guess is that they wanted to live a "normal life" away from the place they were in, or Chris advised them to do so. I think it has been confirmed that they were cured of their infection, but I'm not sure. Probably more so this is another case of Capcom being Capcom as always. Just making up something nonsensical for the hell of it, for whatever plot the game can assemble together. It's clear that they'll cut and paste assets into another game. That's what they do...

One thing about Revelations is that, it's a good game, but other than the ending, it's a game that does little to enhance the overall story. And no, why count Manga books as enhancement? I know they continued Parker's story, but it's not like you're experiencing it in a game. I'm not counting books. Nobody cares about that. :D

About the Redfield siblings dying: Alex Wesker is supposed to return. So I doubt she let Claire and Barry survive. I'm just dying to know why Chris has did what he did. :sick:
I've been absent from RE8 news for a while and I just checked the official game website. Apparently it's now confirmed on there that Ethan and Mia are indeed under protection--by the BSAA--after the events of RE7. Apparently Chris is still a member of the BSAA, too. I think its safe to assume now that that's the reason they're in Europe.

I'm really starting to think that it will probably just be a hallucination that Ethan will have. Judging by RE7 and RE3R, it's pretty apparent that they've become fascinated with hallucinations. It'll probably be a regular element of the series going foward.

I think they're trying to pull off a second Revelations 1 trailer, where they want to make us believe that Chris will be bad--again.

I may of said in an earlier post on this topic that I can care less if they remake this game, but I would only favor a Resident Evil 4 Remake if it's faithful to the Hook Man trailer and Black Fog trailers of Resident Evil 3.5. In my opinion, that should of been the true Resident Evil 4.

Well, they did add in some small aspects of 1.5 in.the RE2 remake. It wasn't anything canonical, though. So it's doubtful they're going to stray too far off the mark with RE4 and make it totally different. It's probably more so a case that they leave out stuff for laziness, or other reasons. As they have been doing for the past few years.

Top Bottom