• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 Showcase Art, Images and Video

Some quick thoughts; Gameplay looks great for RE:4. There’s a part where Leon blocks a chainsaw with his pistol which reminded me of Ada doing pretty much the same thing during her fight with Ubistvo. There looks to be interactive environmental stuff going on as well, which will make utilizing your surroundings essential for those tight survival situations. Ada voice doesn’t sound right though and Salazar looks like a creepy Victorian granny. Hunnigan looks freakin’ great.

As for the RE8 stuff I really don’t care much, but I hope others can enjoy it. They spent like half the showcase talking about the Cloud and Mac versions which was weird and unnecessary. They are marketing RE8 way too hard when better titles deserved that much publicity.

They also previewed that interview with Mikami and how he praised RE7 but didn’t play RE8 which was funny to me.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I didnt watch the trailer cause ı dont have the interest but judging from the images ı only liked seeing ada, ashley, hunnigan and luis. Salazar looks very weird though and ı just dont care much for that generic cult at all. I wonder if hunnigan will be voiced by her same va, salli saffioti. Ada will probably be voiced by jolene andersen like re engine 2. I would have preferred courtenay taylor to voice her.

There are some things that heavily bother me from images though. One being knife having a durability as well as taking space in inventory. In re4; the knife didnt take space in inventory at all. It had its own separate slot. It feels quite revillage inspired along with re engine 2 mix. I dont like knife being a breakable weapon either. Showcase other melee weapons as breakable like in outbreak games, not the knife. Upgrading knife's damage also feels unnecessary. I prefer re6's skills in regards to being able to improve characters' stats. And leon's handgun looks so generic. It seems to be hunk's handgun from re engine 2 which was unlockable in re engine 3, usp like model. It doesnt seem to be silver ghost or vp70 / wing shooter with 18 capacity. Wonder if duel wielding will come back cause ı liked that gameplay aspect in recv and re6.

I agree with ripvanx in regards to leon using his knife to block the chainsaw ganado's weapon but ı still think it feels more re engine 1 inspired if anything. Since ada in re6 could block ubistvo's chainsaw arm by her own hands after the monster got weakened. Jake and sherry could also do this later on during the campaign connection part. Leon's situation however reminds me of more of chainsaw duel between ethan and jack in re engine 1. I wonder if chainsaw will be available as a weapon, especially as unlockable. I hope it wont be breakable if that's the case cause ı dislike that aspect in re engine 1 after jack boss battle.

Edit: I forgot to talk about laser and that bolt thrower weapon. Idk why laser is a separate item but it should have been available right from start. In re6 and rerev2; switching between crosshair and laser was possible but ı dont think that will happen here. And ı dont even know what's the point of that bolt thrower weapon or whatever. It apparently replaces mine thrower.

Overall nothing that uniqueworthy to talk about really. Feels quite boring save for a few aspects ı'm curious about.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I found out that you cant save the dog at the intro which helped against el gigante. It's shown as dead. Idk how this will turn out in the actual game but as of now; my reaction to this is:

Yama

Owner
Had to gather my thoughts after this reveal, just wow. This brings levels of nostalgia I didn’t even know I had for that era. In a sense it’s a dream come true. While RE4 is a masterpiece of a video game, I always wanted its tone to be more in line with the titles before it and this is just that. The gameplay looks fluid, we’ll see how OP or not parry is with a knife but it looks incredibly fun. The atmosphere is much more grounded and gritty, I adore it. Characters look incredible, what a glow up for Hunnigan. I’m truly speechless, feel like a kid again. When rumored it sounded unnecessary, but this may just be HUGE for the series. Beyond excited, feel like I took a Time Machine.

Thanks for all the media @Yama! I was never head over heels for re4 like many… kind of like some of you I thought it was an amazing game but an ok BH at the time. I didn’t know how spoiled I was with that time of games. But now? This looks incredible!! I really love the darker look to the area, it’s like they triple downed on the horror and it’s something re4 always needed. It was weird but not scary, now it’s more like the other remakes. Haven’t been this excited since RE:2

Yama

Owner
Thanks for all the media @Yama! I was never head over heels for re4 like many… kind of like some of you I thought it was an amazing game but an ok BH at the time. I didn’t know how spoiled I was with that time of games. But now? This looks incredible!! I really love the darker look to the area, it’s like they triple downed on the horror and it’s something re4 always needed. It was weird but not scary, now it’s more like the other remakes. Haven’t been this excited since RE:2
I've been saying this for quite some time, the horror it had was stellar but was broken up quite a bit. This tonal shift is benefiting the game so much, it's like seeing it in an entirely new light that is less "gamey" and more atmospheric, ala the games prior to re4.

Before trailers and gameplay were released I was kinda in "meh" territory but now I am hyped and march month doesn't seem to be so far away now.

Yama

Owner
Before trailers and gameplay were released I was kinda in "meh" territory but now I am hyped and march month doesn't seem to be so far away now.
I wasn't quite at that low ever, though was a bit in the camp wondering if this game really needed this and if so how it would translate. I am with you though however in that after this showing my hype has risen extraordinarily.

I hope they don't add stealth sections. I hope chief is not unkillable stalking us like tyrant. I never liked stalker enemies.

It's been a while since I looked forward to a RE game

I liked almost everything I've seen so far... My only nitpicks are:

- Hit reactions seems lacking, especially with the Shotgun, the animation for the recoil also seems really weak compared to the original.

- Lack of laser sight is a bummer, it made the combat feel precise and as a result very satisfying, Remake's blooming crosshairs are a step down.

- There is something going on with the black levels, it seems crushed or something wrong with the contrast. Some spots are straight up pitch black.

Aside from that, it looks amazing
When Leon crouched in the cabin, I got major The Evil Within vibes

Yama

Owner
It's been a while since I looked forward to a RE game

I liked almost everything I've seen so far... My only nitpicks are:

- Hit reactions seems lacking, especially with the Shotgun, the animation for the recoil also seems really weak compared to the original.

- Lack of laser sight is a bummer, it made the combat feel precise and as a result very satisfying, Remake's blooming crosshairs are a step down.

- There is something going on with the black levels, it seems crushed or something wrong with the contrast. Some spots are straight up pitch black.

Aside from that, it looks amazing
When Leon crouched in the cabin, I got major The Evil Within vibes

First off love seeing you around bud, hope all is well.

I'm in agreeance in regards to the hit reactions, very spongy. Hopefully some of that was placeholder as they fine tune.

The laser is in the game, but purchasable from the Merchant it seems. Odd that it isn't default, but happy to see it nonetheless.
laser.JPG

RE Engine has always struggled in SDR to produce deep black levels, where as the games look phenomenal in HDR. It's like it is made for HDR. I think this video was adjusted to give off an HDR look in SDR and came out a bit off. That's my guess at least.

First off love seeing you around bud, hope all is well.

I'm in agreeance in regards to the hit reactions, very spongy. Hopefully some of that was placeholder as they fine tune.

The laser is in the game, but purchasable from the Merchant it seems. Odd that it isn't default, but happy to see it nonetheless.
View attachment 1991

RE Engine has always struggled in SDR to produce deep black levels, where as the games look phenomenal in HDR. It's like it is made for HDR. I think this video was adjusted to give off an HDR look in SDR and came out a bit off. That's my guess at least.
Likewise, brother. Miss you!

Makes sense that it may be something to do with the video being made for HDR, hopefully it looks good on SDR by release. Otherwise the visuals look crazy good. The castle in this shot looks amazing

re4_background_02-png.1966

Good find on that laser sight! I hope it's for all weapons, not just the pistol.

Top Bottom