• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 Impressions Thread

I discovered there are more puzzles. The game is very shooter-ish, yet so far a lot like the original. At least as of chapter 4.

The reason why CapCom amplified the puzzles is to appease the section of fans who complained "OMG, the original BioHazard: RE4 didn't have enough puzzles!". Thank God that CapCom Unity pulled the plug on their forums section (especially the RE forums) because Biohaze has honestly the best forum for a BioHazard: RE community.

I'll put up with additional puzzles not because I disliked the pacing of puzzles in the original BioHazard: RE4 but rather because I will go to great lengths to solve the biggest puzzle facing the BioHazard: RE community in the United States of America:

The puzzle to make universal healthcare implemented!

I have beaten Remake 4. I feel like it's a survival horror game rather than action horror game. I will give it 8/10. Not worth replacing original. Original action felt so good. Reloading animations suck in remake

I'm generally enjoying the remake, as unnecessary as I feel it was. They changed a lot of aspects of the game and it feels more cheesy, but I had a feeling they couldn't find the nerve to butcher it as much as the RE2 and 3 remakes.

I called it. They wouldn't change it nearly as much, and I said that months ago. It just goes to show Capcom sees RE4 as their biggest cash cow and not the older games. Hence why not nearly as much has been altered. At least in terms of what you do.

They've added more puzzles, which I don't really appreciate. Seeing as how RE4 was always an action game, that feels deliberately awkward. But a lot of other things is the same, up to when you go into the mines for that over the top battle section. Then you notice changes.

She also looks way more Chinese. 😌

I think this remake is entertaining - sans the puzzles. However, I do think it's somewhat inferior to the original, mainly because the dialogue is so cringey. And like I said, Capcom has mostly played it safe with this remake. Yet apparently, it was okay to remove a shit ton of areas and more in the previous remakes.

Most of the original game's enemies are in this game, except a few bosses, and the mini gun guy now has a bull helmet. 🤯

The sledgehammer guy is new as well. Hm.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I watched the cutscenes and the game doesnt bring me as much " wow " factor in the same way ı got from re2r back in 2019. It feels more faithful than both re2r and re3r ı think but ıdk why ı'm supposed to be surprised by that, they already made revillage so re4 based and re4r recycles aspects from revillage. Plus still not a fan of pointless story cuts and changes here.

Alright, so I've gotten through my 1st playthrough of the game and currently trying a 2nd run.

For those who haven't gotten very far, I'll be delving into a couple of spoilers so I'll block them to respect those who want to see it for themselves.

So far my impressions are that the game is undoubtedly great and I appreciate some of the little details that build off of the original (making the houses look more habitable, Plagas still moving in the corpses of Ganados blown apart, certain areas shrouded in darkness). Capcom also semi wisely decided not to cut as much from the original like the Remakes of 2 and especially 3 did to their respective originals. With said though, I believe once again the original is the better game in a few regards especially when it comes to general story and especially background like the files in game, etc.

The gameplay I feel both have their high points though the original's controls haven't aged well. The new game has issues with aiming that make the experience more challenging for all the wrong reasons. I wasted so many bullets from my rifle trying to hit the
Regenerators that I wish the scope could have been put on the TMP instead.

The things cut from the original are mostly story, character, and file related background information which in my opinion really hurts the story and characters compared to the original. Not a major spoiler but Sadler and Salazar are barely in this game compared to before.

There's more I can dive into, but I want to get an idea of everyone else's impressions 1st.

Last edited:

Yama

Owner
Took my sweet time with it and couldn't be more impressed overall. RE4 is very much a product of its time, it equates to a lot of the charm the game has. It's also a very weird title atmospherically and I had trepidations they could bring it in line with the more grounded focus of todays titles, especially while retaining the games identity. To my surprise however, they DID IT.

The atmosphere in RE:4 is bar none perfection. The art direction, thoughtful changes and overall progression of the RE Engine technology brought it in line with something that was much more believable. Moments in the original like finding out you can back track a bit with the boat were fully expanded upon and give a foe open world sense of exploration, without ever losing focus of the prize.

Music was reminiscent but also catchier and more pronounced than RE:2, they did a fantastic job re-working some old favorites. This was always one of my bigger beefs with the Island section of the original, the upbeat odd music. Between the atmospheric changes, additions and even some thoughtful subtractions, the Island feels like a very in tune section of the game instead of an outlier. Unifying the games atmosphere was my biggest wish and they delivered. I could have lived without the chopper section, but I get its too iconic to scrap.

We all know the story was made in merely 10 days originally, so it was nice to see its final iteration and all of its afterthought lore mesh into one product in a more unified manner. Every addition was welcomed. If and when Separate Ways happens it'll just be that much sweeter.

As someone who always appreciated the nuances of the gameplay engines, the original has aged like fine wine to me. I like to refer to the original engine as very "SURE", in that everything makes sense and works as intended. Stuns, i-frames, etc. If a player reaches a certain level and takes advantage of these core mechanics, you could become just about untouchable. The new engine is anything but sure, though that's neither a good nor bad thing, it's simply different. It controls beautifully, however there are a ton less i-frames and a lot more RNG with stuns and such. I do very much appreciate the parry system, especially the perfect parry (red parry/just guard). Overall, it keeps the player on their toes while still retaining much of the addictive gameplay loop of the original, just in its own way.

All in all, I couldn't ask for more considering the game they were remaking. RE:4 somehow makes the game stand out less against its predecessors while still very much retaining its identity, just in a more believable and grounded way.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So before the release of the game ı took notes judging from checking the leaks at the time. They arent fully complete and ı'll edit some of them here to fit here better:

" I already dont like the changes, like one of the cops somehow disappearing when originally both of them were captured at the same time with the car being pushed towards a river along with bridge being destroyed. "

" The bell rings way too early. "

" Leon falls from the tower, pfft... "

" This is a small detail but the boxes have yellow paint on them. I see that unnecessary. Even windows have yellow paint as showcasing them burstable through those. "

" Lmao ganados are as dumb as in og game if not more. One of them literally runs towards a bomb they planted, facepalm... "

" It looks like mendez injects leon with the syringe now rather than a ganado. The way it's executed looked boring, leon doesnt even try to kick him, mendez just picks him up and throws him down anyways. "

" Leon's jacket is taken and it doesnt show the ganado who took it yet. There's no qte though, that looked boring and the ganado who " frees " them gets killed through a more boring way rather than getting thrown up by leon kicking him, now his neck gets broken through chains. Leon's gear gets taken this time so that's an improvement however they still didnt disable his com. Leon getting captured is still dumb regardless. "

" Ganados are quite tough with the dynamites. They are as annoying as they were before, ı also dont understand the prompt, can they be picked up and thrown somewhere else? "

" I still think upgrading stats other than firearm is dumb. I dont like upgrading firing speed for the handguns, leon should have that ability by himself. In dead aim, you can fire handguns as fast as you can and that's also brought back for re6 where you can fire as fast as you can. The reload speed upgrades also look dumb to me, for shotgun and rifle, it simply makes you insert more bullets into weapon rather than putting them 1 by 1. It's quite silly. "

" I saw the new scene where ada saves leon from mendez. It's quite brief and ada is shown less compared to og game, it doesnt even show her hookshot. Mendez also doesnt jump from the window, compared to og game, it feels more boring and less dramatic. "

" Luis is an umbrella researcher now. I'm not sure what's the point of this. "

" It looks like you can save the dog, they just moved its position to somewhere else. "

" Colmillos appear earlier than og game, also the tower explodes for no real reason. Pointless changes so far. "

" The amount of bear traps in the game make me facepalm. Plus there are still planted explosives. Why are there so many of them compared to og game, it feels unnecessary. "

" Leon reaches to the church's gate and the exchanges between him and hunnigan are boring. She doesnt mock him for not being taught with locking skills in the academy like it happens in og game. Yawn... "

" Facepalm... They included shooting range from og game. I never liked that much. ( I still dont get it. Why did they include that? It's so pointless... ) "

" The laser looks quite terrible, ı cant even see it coming out other than a red dot. And for some reason it takes space in inventory, that's so stupid. "

" I just watched del lago boss fight. It's so terrible, what the hell? You cant even get knocked out from the boat, they just put an hp bar. Even in re6, you can get damaged during its vehicle sections more, what the hell even is this? It's so pissfully easy. "

" Also leon's leg doesnt get grabbed by a rope, why even remove that? It added tension to the game and he just falls unconscious on the boat rather than moving towards a house and falling inside there. Facepalm... "

" I checked the dream sequence and even that feels underwhelming. Now leon dreams saddler and ı cant even see the cursed blood going through his arms. The drama and emotions of leon compared to og game feels incredibly downplayed. Goddamn it, it's turning out to be very terrible right now. "

" The village looks way too dark now, it's impossible to see the environment and plaga mutations feel quite underwhelming, it doesnt look as satisfying of fighting them compared to og game. Even re5's plaga mutations looked and felt more satisfying to fight. "

" Now you obtain the church insignia by putting 2 skulls on 2 hands. And those skulls are obtained by solving puzzles, they dont look that hard, the solution seems to be displayed at environments but it feels like a tedious work to give such a drawn out method of obtaining key items. "

" The lake is way too big, from what ı've seen, ı've became way too sick judging from looking at all those unnecessary explorations. "

" I've seen some girls in the village but they dont look like villagers. They look like outsiders kidnapped from other places around the world. I dont understand why they are there. The game tries to trick the player thinking they are ashley even though it feels like a waste of time. "

" El gigante introduction is so boring. It doesnt even kill any nearby ganados and leon doesnt even try to backflip. It still allows to climb on top of it though. I think it's better than del lago. Dog also appears. "

" Saddler doesnt appear in the church. Another pointless change. "

" Ashley doesnt have a hp bar. She can still get captured though, the way she's handled during gameplay looks boring to me. Doesnt really look an improvement over og that much. "

These are all of them. I cut a few portions and ı stopped checking the leaks after around the end point of village. I can add more if ı want right now since ı already checked the cutscenes at this point but ı would rather not.

Yama

Owner
So before the release of the game ı took notes judging from checking the leaks at the time. They arent fully complete and ı'll edit some of them here to fit here better:

" I already dont like the changes, like one of the cops somehow disappearing when originally both of them were captured at the same time with the car being pushed towards a river along with bridge being destroyed. "

" The bell rings way too early. "

" Leon falls from the tower, pfft... "

" This is a small detail but the boxes have yellow paint on them. I see that unnecessary. Even windows have yellow paint as showcasing them burstable through those. "

" Lmao ganados are as dumb as in og game if not more. One of them literally runs towards a bomb they planted, facepalm... "

" It looks like mendez injects leon with the syringe now rather than a ganado. The way it's executed looked boring, leon doesnt even try to kick him, mendez just picks him up and throws him down anyways. "

" Leon's jacket is taken and it doesnt show the ganado who took it yet. There's no qte though, that looked boring and the ganado who " frees " them gets killed through a more boring way rather than getting thrown up by leon kicking him, now his neck gets broken through chains. Leon's gear gets taken this time so that's an improvement however they still didnt disable his com. Leon getting captured is still dumb regardless. "

" Ganados are quite tough with the dynamites. They are as annoying as they were before, ı also dont understand the prompt, can they be picked up and thrown somewhere else? "

" I still think upgrading stats other than firearm is dumb. I dont like upgrading firing speed for the handguns, leon should have that ability by himself. In dead aim, you can fire handguns as fast as you can and that's also brought back for re6 where you can fire as fast as you can. The reload speed upgrades also look dumb to me, for shotgun and rifle, it simply makes you insert more bullets into weapon rather than putting them 1 by 1. It's quite silly. "

" I saw the new scene where ada saves leon from mendez. It's quite brief and ada is shown less compared to og game, it doesnt even show her hookshot. Mendez also doesnt jump from the window, compared to og game, it feels more boring and less dramatic. "

" Luis is an umbrella researcher now. I'm not sure what's the point of this. "

" It looks like you can save the dog, they just moved its position to somewhere else. "

" Colmillos appear earlier than og game, also the tower explodes for no real reason. Pointless changes so far. "

" The amount of bear traps in the game make me facepalm. Plus there are still planted explosives. Why are there so many of them compared to og game, it feels unnecessary. "

" Leon reaches to the church's gate and the exchanges between him and hunnigan are boring. She doesnt mock him for not being taught with locking skills in the academy like it happens in og game. Yawn... "

" Facepalm... They included shooting range from og game. I never liked that much. ( I still dont get it. Why did they include that? It's so pointless... ) "

" The laser looks quite terrible, ı cant even see it coming out other than a red dot. And for some reason it takes space in inventory, that's so stupid. "

" I just watched del lago boss fight. It's so terrible, what the hell? You cant even get knocked out from the boat, they just put an hp bar. Even in re6, you can get damaged during its vehicle sections more, what the hell even is this? It's so pissfully easy. "

" Also leon's leg doesnt get grabbed by a rope, why even remove that? It added tension to the game and he just falls unconscious on the boat rather than moving towards a house and falling inside there. Facepalm... "

" I checked the dream sequence and even that feels underwhelming. Now leon dreams saddler and ı cant even see the cursed blood going through his arms. The drama and emotions of leon compared to og game feels incredibly downplayed. Goddamn it, it's turning out to be very terrible right now. "

" The village looks way too dark now, it's impossible to see the environment and plaga mutations feel quite underwhelming, it doesnt look as satisfying of fighting them compared to og game. Even re5's plaga mutations looked and felt more satisfying to fight. "

" Now you obtain the church insignia by putting 2 skulls on 2 hands. And those skulls are obtained by solving puzzles, they dont look that hard, the solution seems to be displayed at environments but it feels like a tedious work to give such a drawn out method of obtaining key items. "

" The lake is way too big, from what ı've seen, ı've became way too sick judging from looking at all those unnecessary explorations. "

" I've seen some girls in the village but they dont look like villagers. They look like outsiders kidnapped from other places around the world. I dont understand why they are there. The game tries to trick the player thinking they are ashley even though it feels like a waste of time. "

" El gigante introduction is so boring. It doesnt even kill any nearby ganados and leon doesnt even try to backflip. It still allows to climb on top of it though. I think it's better than del lago. Dog also appears. "

" Saddler doesnt appear in the church. Another pointless change. "

" Ashley doesnt have a hp bar. She can still get captured though, the way she's handled during gameplay looks boring to me. Doesnt really look an improvement over og that much. "

These are all of them. I cut a few portions and ı stopped checking the leaks after around the end point of village. I can add more if ı want right now since ı already checked the cutscenes at this point but ı would rather not.
Respectfully, I can't agree with any of this. The game is wonderful and the best part is the original isn't going anywhere. There's nothing wrong with having options. Tasteful liberties are welcomed and the tonal change did more for the game than any remake prior. To look at all of the hard work that went into this project and allow an honest critique to be "the bell rang too early" is just unappreciative imo. Again, nobody is being forced to enjoy it or not, but watching a video online and nitpicking changes isn't the same as experiencing the game. Have some fun, play the game... or don't? It's a masterclass in remakes and expect a lot of people to be happy with it, myself included.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Respectfully, I can't agree with any of this. The game is wonderful and the best part is the original isn't going anywhere. There's nothing wrong with having options. Tasteful liberties are welcomed and the tonal change did more for the game than any remake prior. To look at all of the hard work that went into this project and allow an honest critique to be "the bell rang too early" is just unappreciative imo. Again, nobody is being forced to enjoy it or not, but watching a video online and nitpicking changes isn't the same as experiencing the game. Have some fun, play the game... or don't? It's a masterclass in remakes and expect a lot of people to be happy with it, myself included.
I understand and yes ı didnt play the game yet so ıdk how the gameplay feels but from what ı've seen, ı cant say ı like the story changes that much. I'm still glad the dog appears though.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It looks more like a wolf in the remake.
It's still more faithful to og game than both re2-3r. I'm glad it is but at the same time, ı still think that it should have been an actual new game, even a rerev title for example. Re4 didnt need a re engine treatment to me and from what ı enjoy with the game's steam port due to revamped controls, ı still think it didnt.

I am very disappointed with side quests. Leon a government agent is hunting rats and shooting blue medallions in every area. Killing rats is not fun. Only 3 side quests were good where killed powerful enemies. Other quests were just shooting targets. No side quests had any story.

Shooting is absolutely not fun. In order to make it more realistic they have ruined shooting and reloading animations which doesn't looks good but are closer to real guns reloading.

Exploration is very fun. Lot of areas specially village is great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom