• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 Impressions Thread

To date, I feel this is the best of the RE Engine remakes. I know Capcom still cut content, but then they do refer to them as reimaginings, so of course there won't be things that are precise. Now if only they can explain why Krauser works for Wesker a bit better.
What I like about the remakes is you get a hit of nostalgia combined with a dose of new game experience because as you say they are reimaginings. I'm glad you finally enjoyed one of the RE Engine remakes :p

A lot of places in Resident Evil is a bit longer than the original game. That room with tables, cups, and stuff...? I had to re-do the location so many times because I died there so many times. Pfft. I got past, and am now past the knights...

What I liked about that part of the mission? Ashley actually CONTRIBUTES to the battle, rather than being this goddamn damsel in distress (feminist) bullshit. I mean, why is the pressing R3 so ...fucking slow. It infuriates me when she does that shit. I mean, c'mon. MOVE! RE4's "rescue Ashley" mission(s) are cakewalks compared to the remake. They made it harder for the sake of making the game harder.

Sigh.

This sounds incredibly stupid but Del Lago of all things has me stuck. I've seen clips of people clearing it in about a minute, but I feel like it has new un-dodgable jump attack on this mode that totals the boat and certain tree stumps hit me every time? Weird. I mean it was dumb not to change this boss in the remake more than it was, but this is just annoying.

Last edited:
This sounds incredibly stupid but Del Lago of all things has been stuck. I've seen clips of people clearing it in about a minute, but I feel like it has new un-dodgable jump attack on this mode that totals the boat and certain tree stumps hit me every time? Weird. I mean it was dumb not to change this boss in the remake more than it was, but this is just annoying.
Yeah I got stuck on that fight on Pro for a while too. You really have to learn it and start moving out the way early or you just die. Similarly with the mine carts and Krauser knife fight on Pro they were actually challenging

Jeez what a pain. Supposedly if you land every hit it will die before the cycle starts over, when it comes at you and you can hit the mouth, but I found that it just took three cycles without the boat sinking. The final stage was like a leaping part I hadn't seen yet, and there was even a button mashing part that wasn't there before!

Honestly I feel like blasting everyone with the infinite Handcannon now, even if I always feel like those kind of weapons eventually drain the overall enjoyment.

Last edited:
I think they should make the DLC free, as a way of just saying thank you to the fans who bought RE4 twice in 2005, a billion times thereafter, and then this remake. ;)

Konami is certainly being generous with all of these upcoming Silent Hill games. Man, you basically ended the series for a decade, then said that everyone can now work on a new game.

That's kind of unique. Lots of games. Catch up time.

But I reckon Separate Ways won't be free. If it's fairly lengthy, I don't think it will be just put online for no charge.

I've bought RE4 at least 4 times and will probably buy the DLC. Konami will get nothing as they are a joke.

Back on topic; I just got the last treasure, wasted Mendez and moved to the castle area which has brought back the fun of experimenting. I've also had time to crack a few of the challenges that were left, even if the tired old 'spend points for 3D models and art' has never been a good idea.

A lot of places in Resident Evil is a bit longer than the original game. That room with tables, cups, and stuff...? I had to re-do the location so many times because I died there so many times. Pfft. I got past, and am now past the knights...

What I liked about that part of the mission? Ashley actually CONTRIBUTES to the battle, rather than being this goddamn damsel in distress (feminist) bullshit. I mean, why is the pressing R3 so ...fucking slow. It infuriates me when she does that shit. I mean, c'mon. MOVE! RE4's "rescue Ashley" mission(s) are cakewalks compared to the remake. They made it harder for the sake of making the game harder.

Sigh.
I am now past this anger, spot, location...

I found a harder spot, that room with two Garradors... I died so many times, but the strategy was to use Garradors against the ganados. That's exactly what I did...

In the original game, you needed to kill off the ganados first before you deal with the Garradors. The other thing I noticed is that in the original game, the ganados and garradors respect each other, but in the remake, it's like... "I don't give a shit."

And there's a major change with THIS spot... instead of dealing with one el gigante, you're dealing with TWO el gigantes, and there's no "puzzle" piece (ziplines) here. I do like this boss battle now.

In the original game, you needed to kill off the ganados first before you deal with the Garradors. The other thing I noticed is that in the original game, the ganados and garradors respect each other, but in the remake, it's like... "I don't give a shit."

Yeah the double Garrador room is a pain but the collision adds a new dimension. Feels like they home in on you too easily compared to the old version though.

The lava pit fight is okay I guess. Having Luis still around is something new at least compared to basically zero changes in some earlier bosses.

Krauser's battle the first time is well done. It's not QTE the whole way through, they actually designed the melee combat to fit this design philosophy... That parry move was DESIGNED for this battle. I don't think it's designed for the Garradors because of the wolverine-style blades.

Roman Salazar's battle was frustrating at first, but once you understand that all you needed to do is shoot the face and damage him at least 3 times in the face with a QTE, it's smooth sailing from here...

My favorite part of RE4 Remake is traps. But not the kind of traps you'd think of... There's a spot in RE4 Remake, where you can actually lead ganados following you to a trap. I ran out of bullets, but I bumped into a trap. Instead of just walking into it, I used crouch to trap them...

1:33 is what you're looking for. :D

My favorite part of the game so far is the construction area. Not just graphically, but gameplay wise.

And that music... Damn.

I still prefer the original. These boss fights feel a bit too on rails, in confined spaces.

I'm hoping with the summer slowly ending, Capcom will have news on DLC at this year's Gamescom event.

Still using the first shotgun on the island that's crazy to me :p

Just rinsing the final few chapters, unlocked the primal knife, probably going to try the infinite launcher next.

I beat the game. It's a good game, but a bit harder than the original. The final boss battle was ridiculous, especially the second part. Like what the fuck, bro?

I'm installing the update now.

Can you play it from the beginning without having to complete the main scenario? I had removed it from my storage, you see. :p

Like I said, I beat RE4...

Buuut, I'm re-playing Resident Evil 4 ....on... PlayStation 5...

I see more crisp, more detail in the game than on PS4. I'm scared for the next remake treatment. That is gonna be crisp.

I finally finished Resident Evil 4 on PS5. Now I can safely say I've played all versions of RE4; the original GameCube release, PS4 Remaster, and the RE4 Remake on PS4. I love the original RE4 release on GameCube, but my favorite version of the RE4 Remake is PS5 version. Not just because of the graphics, it's how smooth and responsive the game feels. The PS4 version and the PS5 version behaves the same, but it feels like the PS5 version was smoother, much, much smoother.

I will link the playlist here... (other places embeds it...)

Top Bottom