• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE8 Resident Evil Village Shown

I'm a massive lover of the fan favorite characters, so naturally, nobody wants to see them go. But I do think there's times when they've kind of hindered the horror aspects of the series, and them always surviving through thick and thin, makes for a lack of realism to boot. Particularly protagonists such as Leon, who are more so action oriented heroes by today's standards, as opposed to the civilian type of person who is randomly thrown into a nightmare.

One reason for the scare factors being so diluted, is that they are by now classed as veterans, so when you play them frequently throughout multiple titles, you do enjoy that, but on the other hand, you feel like they're too 'at home' with the fight against the opposition. That makes the franchise in general seem less terrifying, as they go about their funny one-liners, blowing up everything, and whatnot. It's like they are so used to it, as are you. That's why the Resident Evil franchise as a whole has changed so much over the years.

While it's great that Ethan is still relatively new and normal, I don't think he's even really much of a character at heart. To me, he feels like an avatar type of guy, where you're just playing him as a kind of semi-template for yourself, the player. But he just isn't really all that interesting.

As I said before, you had a reason to care about other guys in horror games like Harry Mason or Joel Miller, due to their loss, normal human side, and etc. Here, while you sort of get that with Ethan to some degree, it's not quite pulled off as effectively, giving that you don't even see his face. You cannot really "connect" with him in the same sort of way. But anyway, that's just my opinion...

I'm a massive lover of the fan favorite characters, so naturally, nobody wants to see them go. But I do think there's times when they've kind of hindered the horror aspects of the series, and them always surviving through thick and thin, makes for a lack of realism to boot. Particularly protagonists such as Leon, who are more so action oriented heroes by today's standards, as opposed to the civilian type of person who is randomly thrown into a nightmare.

I can understand if fans feel really sad if RE gets no more proper sequence games aside from Remakes but I feel like the plot is getting a bit difficult for newcomers to catch up, in fact there's not that many classic videogame franchises able to endure that much time without going through a major reboot, or at least a soft-reboot.
Maybe it's best to give fans and ending to the main story and see if there's still demand for spin-offs and a few Remakes down the road...

I think there is palpable risk for the stories getting a little too convoluted and less and less believability at the core, since with all bioterror incidents the world should be already crossing an apocalypse, and when they Cross that line it turns the games universe into a "Paul Anderson" RE universe. ? if they do that they'll "jump the shark" in my opinion

While it's great that Ethan is still relatively new and normal, I don't think he's even really much of a character at heart. To me, he feels like an avatar type of guy, where you're just playing him as a kind of semi-template for yourself, the player. But he just isn't really all that interesting.
Sounds to me like he is getting the Issac treatment. Ethan was basically a mute in RE7, but in the next game he will have more personality. I am with you though, he’s about as interesting as a box of rocks.

Last edited:
I think there is palpable risk for the stories getting a little too convoluted and less and less believability at the core, since with all bioterror incidents the world should be already crossing an apocalypse, and when they Cross that line it turns the games universe into a "Paul Anderson" RE universe. ? if they do that they'll "jump the shark" in my opinion

If I remember correctly, Resident Evil 6 wanted to end the game this way. At least, at some stage of production, this option was considered.

But I believe that the storyline of Wesker's Umbrella is necessary to stabilize the situation in the world that Albert himself was responsible for. This is literally what Morgan wanted to do, but more in a larger context.

If I remember correctly, Resident Evil 6 wanted to end the game this way. At least, at some stage of production, this option was considered.
So RE 6 would have provided an "explosive" ending... And the next game after RE 6 would have the post-apocalyptic world setting similar to what happens on The Last of Us or Days Gone?
It would've had to give players quite the cliffhanger for it to pay off in the end.

I think the idea of a post apocalyptic RE game could work if built with enough attention.

However, when executing a scenario with a "complete global apocalypse" like that. the developers better avoid Copying and Pasting apocalyptic movie ideas from Mad Max, or games ideas similar to TLOU.

Aside from these facts, the people that are RE Film fans would instantly want to magically insert the Alice characters from the movie world into the videogame world.(and that's why I would really dislike and not play a RE game with that level of dastardly crap)
But from what I heard listening to Biohazard Declassified Podcast with Cvxfreak after RE 6 Capcom initially had thought about making 7 with Jake Wesker as protagonist due to the small end credits nod to Jake in 6, but that idea got discarded early on and after that there was one more scenario that was unused where Leon and Sherry were protagonists.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
But from what I heard listening to Biohazard Declassified Podcast with Cvxfreak after RE 6 Capcom initially had thought about making 7 with Jake Wesker as protagonist due to the small end credits nod to Jake in 6, but that idea got discarded early on and after that there was one more scenario that was unused where Leon and Sherry were protagonists.
Wait, really? I wished that happened.

I heard that, too. If I'm not mistaken, the events took place in Italy, and Leon and Sherry would have fought some water monsters and used some water weapons. Also before that, the developers considered a game about Leon in the style of Resident Evil 4, but this time in Bulgaria.

Apparently, this period was given to Capcom especially hard, since so many versions were revised. Even from the concepts, you can see that the composition of the Baker family was constantly changing and a lot of things were changed, including the cornfield.

I was very sad when I heard at the presentation from Fabiano that the management forbade the transfer of the game. And it's a shame that they had to cut out Diana (the dog). Apparently, the management decided to put the games on the pipeline, so there were such strict deadlines.

But I read an interview with Koshi Nakanishi, where he said a rather important thought: he tries not to think much about the past. He said that he would like to make the family bigger, add a sister of Marguerite, but it turned out the way it did. There's nothing you can do about it, so we need to move on.

Just to be clear, i had nothing against P.A.´s first Resident Evil movie nor Milla,
initially was nice to have Milla since she had a nice resumé having starred in the Fifth Element and all (i guess there were Luc Besson fans at Capcom right - Léon The Professional and Mathilda references, and Jean Reno taking part as an Onimusha 3 chatacter, Ada being somewhat a copy of the 1990´s Nikita)

and i even enjoyed the first movie for what it was, but all subsequent movies got worse and worse due to them insulting the games with their portrayals of classic chars (Nemesis and Wesker specially, Jill was somewhat ok), they changed them so much plus never had cared about to explain the different bows such as plaga, it´s all forced to be Umbrella´s fault due to T-virus spreading and infecting the whole world? that´s why i stopped caring about the live action Paul Anderson movies, they just didn´t care while the games do try to honestly explain all that unfolds in between them.

Hopefully if a new movie adaptation is released i hope they already begin the story using the games protagonists, even if not entirely faithfull i feel that if they try to do some justice to them would be a lot better than the former movies.

Perhaps you don't know, but in Russia every man under the age of 27 is required to join the army for a year.

We were taught to fight, shoot and live in difficult conditions. It can be a long list of how hard and difficult it was for me there, but I write this to say that I served with a guy from the village who believed in demons and Slavic folklore.

He told me all sorts of creepy stories. One of them was about an anthropomorphic goat. In Russia, we call such a monster chort. Allegedly, it was noticed by children when they were walking in a field close to the forest.

I don't know why the image of a goat is so popular in folklore, but seeing an enemy with hooves and horns in a dark cave is a terrifying experience.

I hope that such enemies will be in the game, although it does not make sense to call such monsters strigoi (strigoi are witches or vampires resurrected from suicide). And the name Scarlett for moroaice too out of place.

I'm also wondering if the purple smoke might hint at the C virus? Perhaps the zombies with swords and armor that were mentioned earlier are C-zombies?

This fits into the theory that mold is associated with C.

Today, I heard about some leaked information. Apparently, there's a part where you traverse through caves, but you have to light up a lantern and avoid one of the witch type enemies, and other monsters, while finding fuel for the lantern if it runs out. It sounds like it's a puzzle in of itself. :D

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Well, the leaker said the guy with sunglasses that totally looks like an older Daniel Fabron is not Daniel Fabron :unsure: but he deleted his tweet about Alex being in the trailer because someone got mad at him.

It's good to know Alex is actually in the game but we're kinda back to square zero about that other guy, totally new character I guess.

Alex Wesker, A. Wesker, may very well be my new top villain. Oh, and Gamescom hasn't been all that great so far. Although I reckon news could come our way tomorrow, or Sunday. Hell, they did say it was happening in August. Right? :)

It's possible that may have happened, but then they would have likely announced by now that this is the case, similar to how they handled the Not a Hero and End of Zoe situation in 2017. But Gamescom still has two more nights to go, so it's very likely we could still see a new trailer or even a proposed release date this weekend.

Quite frankly, I'm more interested in Tokyo Game Show next month. Rumors have been running rampant all year long about a Silent Hill reboot, all due to Dusk Golem (who leaked the Resident Evil Village stuff in early 2020). It would make a lot to sense to have it at Tokyo Game Show, if he's correct about it being in development by a as of yet unknown Japanese development company. Tokyo Game Show is likely going to be huge, and I think there has been some minor evidence that something is going on. Like why would Konami link to the @SilentHill Twitter account, that was registered in July?

Yeah. Many people no longer trust Konami, but there's no denying that the Silent Hill franchise is dearly missed, and that it's one of the industry's key horror franchises alongside the obvious. Sure, some of the post Team Silent sequels were not that great, but maybe if the original crew really is returning, we'll see something truly special again. Wishful thinking, I know. But honestly, I'm just feeling sad that the series has been dormant for this long while Capcom is fixing (or ruining) the Resident Evil franchise.

Another thing I want to bring up is that I find it a tad bit disgusting how YouTubers and even users on some forums, always say that Hideo Kojima not being involved is WHY the series is dead. He never made the series. While P.T. was widely praised, the franchise had been going strong from 1999 up to, I'd say 2006 or something. So he didn't really do shit. He never made the series what it is remembered for, and his contribution was relatively minor in comparison. It was Team Silent, the composers, and the various directors who built the series into what it is renowned for today. Hideo Kojima didn't do shit, since his game was ultimately never completed anyway...

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think chris is gonna be infected in this. He was exposed to mold in not a hero when his oxygen meter reached to 0 and while trying to get the upgrade from the dead soldier's decapitated head who died to lucas' saw trap.

There is weird liquid in his face at re8 art. I was thinking it was blood but ı think it's mold.

I hope ı will be wrong about this not to mention it doesnt make sense for him to be infected. Blue umbrella already had a vaccine for mold as shown in end of zoe.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Was checking the steam description for the game; it says this:

" Experience survival horror like never before in the 8th major installment in the Resident Evil franchise - Resident Evil Village. With detailed graphics, intense first-person action and masterful storytelling, the terror has never felt more realistic. "

Smh; it looks like this game will also be obsessed with realism, not surprised one bit.

I wonder what decisions capcom will make for this game and then will excuse those for realism...

On another note; why does it say " 8th major installment " when it's not?

Recv, re0, rerev and rerev2 are also part of mainline.

Re1, re2, re3, recv, remake, re0, re4, re5, rerev, re6, rerev2, re7, re2 2019 and re3 2020.

The 8th major installment is re5, not re8.

In Resident Evil 7, I also really like the main music song Go Tell Aunt Rhody. I like not only that writing the main vocal theme is an interesting idea for the series, but also that the music is based on an old American folk song, which is perfect for the setting of the game:

In general, I really like to study the culture of different countries and I love American folk songs. This is probably my favorite:

By the way, did you know that the voice actor Jack Baker, who is also called Jack, also performs such songs?

I am glad that the series has passed such a stage of growing up, when it can tell stories in different countries and show them quite authentic. In Revelations 2, I was pleasantly surprised that the inscriptions in Russian and architectural solutions were made correctly. Even the voice on the radio didn't have an accent. And this is the same universe that a few years ago had a Russian villain Sergey Vladimir (this is the same as calling a character Chris Jill or Leon Ada, that is, just another name instead of a last name), who was ridiculously stylish, mispronounced the name Ivan and did not fit the image of a Soviet officer at all.

But I lost the thread a bit. I would like the new game to continue the theme of musical songs. I even have an example:

This is an old Ukrainian folk song "Цвiте терен". Since Ukraine borders the Carpathian mountains, it is not strange that cultures can intertwine. It even happens.

But many Slavic songs, even if they are sad, are sung in a major, but in this case the version in a minor will do. Here is an example:

I think it would be so wonderful.

Well, I think this will be a better action horror game than RE4 is. It actually looks scarier than RE4. While RE4 was a bit scary in 2005, it isn't anymore. This game doesn't look anywhere as cheesy either. RE4 is definitely very cheesy. Looks like Capcom aren't messing around here. And if Alex Wesker is returning, that's great too. The future is here, people. Capcom better not fumble that ball, again.

Top Bottom