• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RECV A Code: Veronica remake may still be in the cards...

My words exactly.

They need to focus on the future. Let the old games be remembered as the classics they are. But please do something new, other than crappy spin off games and bizarre first person games, Capcom! ?

Seashell

"Seashell is evil..." - Anonymous
There's potential in Code Veronica... enough interesting material that could really benefit from some better execution. Especially if they toned down some of the more bizarre elements that Capcom seemed so keen to include in titles from CV onwards (yes I'm looking at you RE0, with your soprano-singing, spooky-robe-wearing, anime-esque mysterious leach-man).

Would certainly beat a remake of 4 in any case...

Personally i´m starting to think that Capcom will close the lid on Remakes after Resident Evil 4 Remake.

However, there´s a small possibility they eventually do a RE:CV Remake (but only if RE 4 Remake becomes a huge critical and financial success to Capcom, so basically in that scenario fans would still want for them to keep doing Remakes).
Since right now things are uncertain regarding how Capcom will deal with RE 4 Remake, where there both positive stuff and negative stuff surrounding it (i´m not upset about the small Nemesis tie-in, where Umbrella most likely produced a variation of a Las Plagas parasite to use on a Tyrant to develop Nemesis, if it stays just as a simple lore retcon i guess it won´t necessarily affect much of the lore anyway). But we are still in the dark about how much Capcom is willing to change through this remakes or rather re-imagining of the classic games. Certainly for RE remakes, as well as remakes in general, i tend to lean towards the idea that keeping them as faithful as possible to the classic story, locations, enemies, and content of the original is the best choice.

I think RE 5, RE 6 and RE 7 are better off without Remakes, while RE CV certainly seems the best candidate for a Remake due to the outdated CV graphics and mechanics.
Some think RE 4 doesn´t need a Remake at all, and some purists even go as far as dishing it out saying RE 4 is a lazy action game and blah,blah but let´s think about what RE 4 did to Resident Evil franchise in a bigger sense...
Sure, back when it was released RE 4 evidently shred fans expectations to bits when it throwed both zombies and Umbrella out the window to bring new concepts but had they stick to that formula i really think the whole franchise could suffer major blow and left in the dust, and RE 4 could have been the last Resident Evil ever.

The fact RE 4 was a major financial and critical success (not as much a success for purists but still... that minority was clearly a small crowd) did considerably help Capcom go against the tide of low sales they were having with the Gamecube games, since revenue from both Resident Evil 1 Remake and Resident Evil Zero back at that time were really above what they expected and i remember quite well a good chunk of the media and gaming magazines that reviewed Zero was really disappointed and said that they were tired of the survival horror formula, this in turn made Mikami think of a way to increase the action for the next title which was RE 4 at the time.

RE 4 certainly still boasts beautiful graphics (specially the remastered versions for modern consoles and PC, the PC version even has tweaked graphics by a mod that ups the texture quality to impressive levels of detail) but the gameplay is a bit clunky if compared to the more modern and fluid gameplay from the most recent titles powered by the RE Engine.

The fact Capcom is taking their time and haven´t officialy announced anything might be a good thing though, might even indicate that they are taking their time to do this better than RE 3 Remake, since that one might have also suffered from a rushed launch schedule. Also the revelation that Shinji Mikami might be taking a role as an advisor to the RE 4 development team sounds like relieving news, he definitely could help the team avoid pitfalls while retooling most of the stuff without discarding the original RE 4 strongest elements and lore.

I´m really curious to see how RE 4 Remake will pan out, while i´m not 100% optimistic i think there´s still 1 out of 3 chance this game can surprise the nay sayers when it sees the light of day.

Last edited:

Seashell

The RE4 remake makes me nervous as a concept, but then again I thought the same about the current remakes and for all their faults and issues with the established timeline, I have to say, I think they did a good job overall. Guess we'll just have to hope that Capcom have their heads screwed on for this one. But so far their track record is good... well, at least in my opinion.

Though if they take inspiration from some of the 3.5 builds then I'll be all over that. Can you imagine? Yes. Yes please.

The way I see it, the series is in two halves now. It's kind of sad to see them repeating history in a different shade of light, but I guess it's because the franchise is very big and modern gamers may not care much for the clunky controls of yesteryear. So that's their aim. Make old new. But they know that the old fans will be there day one regardless.

But I also worry that their ideas for newer games are far from perfect too. For example, RE8 sounds like an Ash Williams reject adventure. Just with a boring RE character who I guess they could find a way not to be a lame ass, piece of crap anymore. I doubt he is currently on many people's favourite characters lists. But honestly, the plot is so absurd now, that it hardly feels like RE should be called RE today. I thought they would have furthered the blue Umbrella rubbish, since as daft as that was, it was at least a start to bringing back the old theme with Umbrella. Maybe they will, but I think they will do it ever so gradually to keep people's interest over the span of so many sequels. But truth be told, RE8 sounds like a spin off that could be about as bog standard in the continuity department as even RE7 was. I hope Capcom proves me wrong. I'd like them for to do that. It would save everybody from the need to read my rants. :D

Seashell

The way I see it, the series is in two halves now. It's kind of sad to see them repeating history in a different shade of light, but I guess it's because the franchise is very big and modern gamers may not care much for the clunky controls of yesteryear. So that's their aim. Make old new. But they know that the old fans will be there day one regardless.

But I also worry that their ideas for newer games are far from perfect too. For example, RE8 sounds like an Ash Williams reject adventure. Just with a boring RE character who I guess they could find a way not to be a lame ass, piece of crap anymore. I doubt he is currently on many people's favourite characters lists. But honestly, the plot is so absurd now, that it hardly feels like RE should be called RE today. I thought they would have furthered the blue Umbrella rubbish, since as daft as that was, it was at least a start to bringing back the old theme with Umbrella. Maybe they will, but I think they will do it ever so gradually to keep people's interest over the span of so many sequels. But truth be told, RE8 sounds like a spin off that could be about as bog standard in the continuity department as even RE7 was. I hope Capcom proves me wrong. I'd like them for to do that. It would save everybody from the need to read my rants. :D

I'm trying to remember what's out there about RE8. Is this the synopsis that it'll be Ethan in some snowy, rural place with zombies? Granted I might be a bit out of date, I haven't really kept up with RE8 news.

But I also worry that their ideas for newer games are far from perfect too.

Mankind is not perfect, specially when each person has their own idea of what would be their ideal of what is perfect.
But when the entire system of internet and society is providing information to the corporations and companies to increase their revenue and sales, the fact products lack that "heart" or "truth" more resonant with what makes us human becomes clear, all that falls into this trap becomes a simple byproduct of a slick corporate machine.
I think these applies to other fields, not just the gaming industry, but the movie industry too.
Now considering the troubles occuring now where the global economy is passing through major disconfiguration, most of these entertainment bussiness are being forced to make a safe bets, and that means to please the average joe, so everything is made for mass consumption.
Sometimes, even with all this, the products still are worthwhile but overall i guess the industry should rethink some of these strategies, mostly when talking about AAA titles, and when indie gaming is becoming some thing of a counter balance to bring fresh new concepts into play.

Last edited:
In an ideal world for me, Capcom would remake CV (although hopefully not immediately after RE3) and that would be it for the remakes and then they could focus on the future. To be honest, I don't really want an RE4 remake, I don't think it needs it; I played the remaster on ps4 just fine. I do think code veronica deserves a remake as, despite it being one of my favourite entries, I feel like it is overlooked. ideally Capcom would release RE8, then a CV remake and then focus on future games.

Top Bottom