• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Unpopular Opinions on Biohazard

The day and night lighting in the village in RE:4 is poor compared to the original. It loses all its gloominess and darkness. During the later daylight parts there's this obnoxious sunset filter that makes everything look orange. Then at night I guess they decided to make a full moon during a rainstorm so nothing is shrouded in darkness where u would need a flashlight to see. I can't think of any other excuse for making it so bright. Any horror vibes the original had were stripped away or watered down in this remake/reimagining or whatever u want to call it.

I hate that emo look too. I don't think the series is up to much any more, graphics-wise or when it comes to understanding the many stupid plot threads scattered throughout the series.

In general, the franchise is just being used as a cash cow to recycle old games. We know that already. So I'll be glad to stop posting a large harangue about it after this year is up.

Also, I don't think outside of maybe 3 or so people online, that anybody else really cares about my opinions in any case. Forums are basically dead in 2023 anyway. Why anybody would say otherwise is beyond me. But yeah. Nobody cares.

When it comes to posting about anything else though, like just chit-chat in general, it's still gonna be a mixed bag. It depends what one is discussing, I guess. But in this day of age, so many websites are too inactive to make contributing on them worth my while. So I can just watch my horror DVDs, play a game, listen to music, or do something else.

It's like I'm wasting my energy on talking to Sesame Street caliber losers on the Internet.

Whether we care or not, more remakes are coming in the future.

I'm pretty tired of the franchise being milked, to be honest. Remakes are NOT new games, even if they change them enough to feel different. This is similar to my complaints about Capcom going back to storylines in the year 1998. With their budget, they're capable of just giving us RE9 already, or something just as good.

Now, I do think CV is very likely to be the remake that comes first, followed by 5. Although I honestly don't know. I reckon 5 will come first due to Wesker being in it, and with that of course being action oriented like 4 is. That aside, it would make more sense to do them in order. You'd think so, at least.
I'm not looking super forward to this with how the remakes have been treated since 2. Code Veronica I'd be curious to see at least a trailer, but I'm sick of these omissions and changes to the lore, and story. I'll keep an open mind of course because there are some elements in the remakes that make them enjoyable in more ways than one but I'm looking more forward to a canonical entry than another remake that needlessly messes with established canon.

I don't understand why Capcom would feel the need to butcher a 3 hour game from 2000. Yeah, I know remakes don't have to follow the rules of the originals unlike the first remake. But there's no reason to cut out enemies, when all we had was, not including Alfred...

Zombies.
Worm (boss).
Tyrant (boss).
Sweepers.
Hunters.
Cerberus.
Bats.
Spiders.
Big spider (I assume it's a boss).
Nosferatu (boss).
Alexia (boss).

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

I don't understand why Capcom would feel the need to butcher a 3 hour game from 2000. Yeah, I know remakes don't have to follow the rules of the originals unlike the first remake. But there's no reason to cut out enemies, when all we had was, not including Alfred...

Zombies.
Worm (boss).
Tyrant (boss).
Sweepers.
Hunters.
Cerberus.
Bats.
Spiders.
Big spider (I assume it's a boss).
Nosferatu (boss).
Alexia (boss).

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head.
Awww, how could you forget the Bandersnatcher?? lol, but to add on there's also the Albinoid, the poisonous moths, and Monster Steve (not really a boss I know).

In a CV remake they could add a Wesker fight or have him stalk Claire and Chris throughout the game. Making him have more of a horror-vibe and bigger presence would be neat since he just runs off in the original game. He attacks Rockfort Island but you don’t really see what happens to the HCF special forces. You see some of them at the airport as zombies but were they all wiped out by zombies? bandersnatches? or what?

Aspects of the story can be expanded upon and the overall pacing of the game can be improved.

To the guy who was moaning about me for shitting on the idea of a CV remake...

You know? They'll well and truly f*** it up, son. Capcom loves to cut it all to ribbons. 😄

I am no fortune teller, but even I know that will be the outcome. 🔮

Yeah. The HCF showing up would be interesting.

I love the Queen Leech. There, I said it.

And it's not some guilty pleasure of mine. Not the "so bad, it's good" type of deal. I genuinely find this villain engaging and perfectly fitting for what the BIO series represents. It may have outdated animations and not the best voice acting, but its overall concept is pretty clever.

Essentially, the Queen Leech's image is based on Christian imagery. It's almost surreal to me how many fans talk about Sephiroth and other Final Fantasy bullshit, but almost no one pointed out that long hair, a white chiton and a cross necklace are attributes associated with Jesus Christ. And one of the ideas for the title screen substantiates this association by representing a leech in a composition reminiscent of the Cross of Golgotha:

Zero.png

Such mimicry, of course, is an extension of the mind of James Marcus himself, who, according to the guidebooks, considered himself a god and dreamed of regaining his beautiful youth. Although don't let the leech deceive you, because in fact it is not a resurrected Marcus, but merely an imitation of his thoughts. And that's where the mythological connotation arises: James Marcus, being the figure of the Creator, breeds a new species of leeches (basically mold them by the Clay Virus) and bestows these animals with fatherly love, to which they reciprocate. The last evolved leech, merging with the corpse of its Creator, becomes the "incarnation" of Marcus in a way similar to how Jesus was the incarnation of God in a human body.

Once dreaming of creating neo-humans, Marcus' very essence is now embittered at Umbrella and humanity through the body of a leech and intends to send sinners to the depths of Hell, thus beginning his own Last Judgment. And this act of godhood ultimately leads to a catastrophe in Raccoon City, which an official source compared to Sodom and Gomorrah. It's a pretty consistent narrative that adds a layer of complexity to the series' plot.

When fans write that the interpretation from The Umbrella Chronicles is better because it looks more realistic, I am given to disbelief. To think, interesting ideas and nuances can be easily exchanged for pseudo-science to remain pseudo-science. Part of my enjoyment with the BIO series stems from the fact that these games are aware that they are, inter alia, Gothic fiction, so they tell engaging stories within that paradigm. When you think a lot about which idea is more like the real world and which is not, you may forget what your series stands for. This happened to the developers of RE:2 when they almost cut out an alligator.

Well, I consider CV to be either the real RE3 or 4. But I would say 4 as it's the third sequel.

To be honest, I think the RE4 remake could have waited until 2025. CV should have came first, since Capcom was already producing them in order, even though the first remake is way different to the other remakes since 2019.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an actual RE:1 for the 30th anniversary… but given Capcoms track record they seem to like releasing shoddy multiplayer games for anniversaries like Umbrella Corps for the 20th and they tried releasing Re:Verse for the 25th but it got delayed which was quite hilarious.

Lord, no. 😮💨

If they remake it and butcher the legacy of the splendid 2002 game, I will go to Japan and make Capcom suffer, so that The Purge movies look mild in comparison. 😈 🔪 🏏 🔫

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an actual RE:1 for the 30th anniversary…

Capcom had a similar intention with BIO7. This game was designed as an homage to the first game and was supposed to be released on the 20th anniversary with Umbrella Corps as a companion piece (within a single bundle) that elaborates the Umbrella Corporation from a numbered entry and allows players to revisit locations from different parts of the series' history, but because Umbrella Corps' team did a poor job for a self-centered reason and BIO7 was delayed, this plan didn't come to fruition.

Top Bottom