• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE5 Resident Evil 5 - Chris Redfield - The Kung Fu fighter

I will never forget when I 1st learned about this secret and bad-ass move. But my favorite one is the secret input in the final boss fight which instantly kills Wesker. Only time I recall us ever getting something similar in another game was 6 with Jake and Ustanak.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
At 2:00, wesker grabs chris from his shoulder. I always found the counterattack interesting. Rather than getting thrown by wesker, chris tries to grab his knife which makes wesker look at him only for chris to try to strike him with his knife that from my understanding, doesnt hit wesker? It still pushes wesker away from chris instead. It's a rare attack but quite interesting.

I kind of wish Chris had defeated Wesker in a more 'traditional' RE game, as RE5 doesn't really feel like the other games, apart from 4. It's not a game I fully detest, but it just wasn't cutting the mustard for me.

Like, it would have been pretty cool to see it unfold in a MCU level game. Lots of heroes in the fray.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I kind of wish Chris had defeated Wesker in a more 'traditional' RE game, as RE5 doesn't really feel like the other games, apart from 4. It's not a game I fully detest, but it just wasn't cutting the mustard for me.

Like, it would have been pretty cool to see it unfold in a MCU level game. Lots of heroes in the fray.
If by " traditional re game ", you mean a fully virus storyline one with no non-virus story aspect being involved, then ı agree. I also would have preferred it that way. Personally ı saw plaga in re5 disappointing compared to its portrayal in re4. I always liked the partner aı as well as going through the story from chris' perspective but plaga by comparison feels like filler and ı much would have preferred uroboros and progenitor to be utilized more in the story. Other than reaper, pretty much all other uroboros monsters are just black tentacles as much as ı like the glowing weak orange spots. I always liked fighting licker betas, jill and wesker more than other things in the game. I also miss barry and rebecca's absence in re5's story, it would have been nice for them to be utilized in the story.

Yeah. Basically, when the franchise was still "rooted in reality" (prior to the parasites, midgets, merchants, mould, robots, and vampires).

Wesker was the top dog...

It's too fantasy like, though. You can tell they put lycans and vampires together so it kind of matches. Like the Underworld movies, or whatever.

This is why even Capcom kind of admitted they expected the reaction to be polarising. The new term for, "What the freaking hell did y'all just put in my favourite franchise, damn it!?" :D

In the earlier RE games, animals would be infected if the virus was in their presence, sure. But it didn't feel like Capcom was going overboard or intentionally being outlandish, so to speak.

I don't think 7 and Village are less fantasy then re 4 plaga's parasites, or even games like resi 2 that have aliens as a tucked in reference (i.e. the g virus chest butters) or Code Veronica's Alexia that actually goes overboard with Geiger's alien influence up to the nth degree (she really is a copy of the alien girl from the movie Species) and basically Tyrants and Nemesis clearly with a Terminator-esque vibe of incessant pursuers.

It's like the whiny comments that Resident Evil lost direction when the old writers and directors either died or left Capcom , but that's pretty much a load of bullshit (but Capcom unlike Chris that actually shut Wesker's mouth for good just can't get enough of bullshit from these whiny supposed "fans" that to me seem like less than wannabe developers that never understood how the story was never really supposed to have a sequel.

You see Resident Evil 1 was to be a one and done deal, but when it made cash and became popular enough then a sequel became a viable thing but since then all it's sequels relied more and more on these body horror tropes, and the popular science fiction and b movies for every sequel because the first game... was supposed to be just a glorified remake from Sweet Home which is basically a game derived from a movie (that had nothing to do with viruses or biological weapons but simply a mansion filled with ghost and supernatural stuff... Oh The irony)

Even though what we got with Resident Evil was still a mansion full of crazy experiments the supernatural stuff was severely cut and hence why beyond the mansion and some of the traps featured In it there's not much borrowed from Sweet Home, maybe some of the ideas like having a few of the npc's or side characters from RE using tools like the chemistry guy from Bravo team be a camera men , have rebbeca as the medic, Jill as lockpick and the western market name change from Biohazard to Resident Evil clearly they basically snatched as a reference because the "residence of evil" was a line taken directly from Sweet Home's game dialogue.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I don't think 7 and Village are less fantasy then re 4 plaga's parasites, or even games like resi 2 that have aliens as a tucked in reference (i.e. the g virus chest butters) or Code Veronica's Alexia that actually goes overboard with Geiger's alien influence up to the nth degree (she really is a copy of the alien girl from the movie Species) and basically Tyrants and Nemesis clearly with a Terminator-esque vibe of incessant pursuers.

It's like the whiny comments that Resident Evil lost direction when the old writers and directors either died or left Capcom , but that's pretty much a load of bullshit (but Capcom unlike Chris that actually shut Wesker's mouth for good just can't get enough of bullshit from these whiny supposed "fans" that to me seem like less than wannabe developers that never understood how the story was never really supposed to have a sequel.

You see Resident Evil 1 was to be a one and done deal, but when it made cash and became popular enough then a sequel became a viable thing but since then all it's sequels relied more and more on these body horror tropes, and the popular science fiction and b movies for every sequel because the first game... was supposed to be just a glorified remake from Sweet Home which is basically a game derived from a movie (that had nothing to do with viruses or biological weapons but simply a mansion filled with ghost and supernatural stuff... Oh The irony)

Even though what we got with Resident Evil was still a mansion full of crazy experiments the supernatural stuff was severely cut and hence why beyond the mansion and some of the traps featured In it there's not much borrowed from Sweet Home, maybe some of the ideas like having a few of the npc's or side characters from RE using tools like the chemistry guy from Bravo team be a camera men , have rebbeca as the medic, Jill as lockpick and the western market name change from Biohazard to Resident Evil clearly they basically snatched as a reference because the "residence of evil" was a line taken directly from Sweet Home's game dialogue.
In my opinion g and t-veronica still feel like follow up from iwao's script, especially since progenitor was introduced in re2 ( before that it was clay in the guidebooks. ) where it was the base for t-virus. G and t-veronica feel like follow up of that and combining those 2 still results in the most ambitious virus to date for me. With plaga, ı would have liked it more if it was tied to ne-alpha when it was introduced but mikami doesnt even like re3 so of course he wouldnt connect his parasyte wannabe to kawamura's script. With re3r, they do the opposite and instead make ne-alpha inspired by plaga but ı still dont understand how that works. It just gets told in the interviews and in re4r, they tie luis to umbrella's branch that worked on ne-alpha but that raises more questions as well. Yeah ı'm aware that they didnt expect the 1st game to be success and from my understanding, mikami wanted re2 to end the series but sugimura wanted umbrella's downfall to get its own closure in order to end the storyline. Neither of those happened properly the way they were desired and the series still continues as a result. But yeah ı also think the series is science fiction but delving into non-virus storyline sidetracks from the original premise ı think.

In my opinion g and t-veronica still feel like follow up from iwao's script, especially since progenitor was introduced in re2 ( before that it was clay in the guidebooks. ) where it was the base for t-virus. G and t-veronica feel like follow up of that and combining those 2 still results in the most ambitious virus to date for me. With plaga, ı would have liked it more if it was tied to ne-alpha when it was introduced but mikami doesnt even like re3 so of course he wouldnt connect his parasyte wannabe to kawamura's script. With re3r, they do the opposite and instead make ne-alpha inspired by plaga but ı still dont understand how that works. It just gets told in the interviews and in re4r, they tie luis to umbrella's branch that worked on ne-alpha but that raises more questions as well. Yeah ı'm aware that they didnt expect the 1st game to be success and from my understanding, mikami wanted re2 to end the series but sugimura wanted umbrella's downfall to get its own closure in order to end the storyline. Neither of those happened properly the way they were desired and the series still continues as a result. But yeah ı also think the series is science fiction but delving into non-virus storyline sidetracks from the original premise ı think.
Although it is debatable why the storyline kind of defected from the T G viruses etc (and arguably favored other stuff over Umbrella, like RE 5 partly focused on umbrella but mainly on Tricell and from then on we had some left overs from these stories like Revelations 2) I think it's mainly because after RE Zero and Dead Aim there was zero direction and they thought they reached their quota of Umbrella and all there was to it was RE 4 which was really unfortunate how that game went into so many beta's and ditched most of those ideas whether some of those ideas were good or bad and perhaps some of these beta's were too focusing on supernatural ideas...
I guess Silent Hill popularity at the time might have influenced them enough to try and make a few concepts etc, but I feel like what they did with 7 is a bigger homage of Sweet Homes because it's Mold storyline nearly goes there into that ghost aspect (the beginning hour demo delves much into that the grudge and the ring creepy overtones) so my point is that I understand criticism of fans that didn't want the first person stories or even that preferred the usual characters and not a new character for 7 and 8, but when it comes to that I think even the new direction that took was partly because of critics always bashing that the old characters became insensitive to everything because they turned into super agents and super soldiers and also due to RE 6 although selling a lot still not selling as much as RE 5?

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Although it is debatable why the storyline kind of defected from the T G viruses etc (and arguably favored other stuff over Umbrella, like RE 5 partly focused on umbrella but manly on Tricell and from then on we had some left overs from these stories like Revelations 2) I think it's manly because after RE Zero and Dead Aim there was zero direction and they thought they reached their quota of Umbrella and all there was to it was RE 4 which was really unfortunate how that game went into so many beta's and ditched most of those ideas whether some of those ideas were good or bad and perhaps some of these beta's were too focusing on supernatural ideas...
I guess Silent Hill popularity at the time might have influenced them enough to try and make a few concepts etc, but I feel like what they did with 7 is a bigger homage of Sweet Homes because it's Mold storyline nearly goes there into that ghost aspect (the beginning hour demo delves much into that the grudge and the ring creepy overtones) so my point is that I understand criticism of fans that didn't want the first person stories or even that preferred the usual characters and not a new character for 7 and 8, but when it comes to that I think even the new direction that took was partly because of critics always bashing that the old characters became insensitive to everything because they turned into super agents and super soldiers and also due to RE 6 although selling a lot still not selling as much as RE 5?
Well ı used to want re6's loose ends to be followed up upon much more properly but they still arent. The only think introduced in re6 that returns to a new game released after it is c-virus for ucorps and all it does there is to create zombies. The family doesnt even appear in vendetta or death island. I feel like it works as an end for the series and ı wouldnt have minded if it ended the storyline or to quote those; " killed " the series but it still sold a lot and ı doubt the game would have " killed " the series regardless of how many would lie about it in regards to its so called " failure " . The devs even call the game a " success " in regards to sales and in one of re7's interviews, it's described as a great game. Personally ı only started to dislike re7 cause of ucorps, otherwise ı would have disliked it less. Re engine games released after it also feel like downgrade compared to past, particularly re2-3r. Revillage looks like dlc for re7 and even re4r is missing significant content. They overall have less to offer compared to past games that have more to offer. I dont think the sales re5 and re6 received works for capcom's favor but instead does the opposite where it causes them to put less effort into the products. Re engine games have more developers working in the games than even re6 and yet far less effort is going into the products. Re3r would be a good example which required the assistance of multiple companies and despite that, it still became one of the most barebones and hated games in the series, showing the little care for it. Rather than re2-3r, they could have made resistance a much more developed game instead.

Last edited:
Well ı used to want re6's loose ends to be followed up upon much more properly but they still arent. The only think introduced in re6 that returns to a new game released after it is c-virus for ucorps and all it does there is to create zombies. The family doesnt even appear in vendetta or death island. I feel like it works as an end for the series and ı wouldnt have minded if it ended the storyline or to quote those; " killed " the series but it still sold a lot and ı doubt the game would have " killed " the series regardless of how many would lie about it in regards to its so called " failure " . The devs even call the game a " success " in regards to sales and in one of re7's interviews, it's described as a great game. Personally ı only started to dislike re7 cause of ucorps, otherwise ı would have disliked it less. The re engine games released after it also feel like downgrade compared to past, particularly re2-3r. Revillage looks like dlc for re7 and even re4r is missing significant content. They overall have less to offer compared to past games that have more to offer. I dont think the sales re5 and re6 received works for capcom's favor but instead does the opposite where it causes them to put less effort into the products. Re engine games have more developers working in the games than even re6 and yet far less effort is going into the products. Re3r would be a good example which required the assistance of multiple companies and despite that, it still became one of the most barebones and hated games in the series, showing the little care for it. Rather than re2-3r, they could have made resistance a much more developed game instead.
Streamlining production seems to be one of the things Capcom was aiming with the RE engine, like they profit more if they can put more games in the market at one time span and if these games use same engine with only minor upgrades so it can reduce costs and maximize their profits... also they use that engine for more than RE now, Devil May Cry, Exoprimal possibly Dragon's Dogma and others games still to come.

Although RE 6 had nice sales I think Capcom won't ever acknowledge that they expected more of 6 and with more what I mean is being critically and commercially bigger than RE 5, it's clear to see why they prefer to conceal it, back then they put a lot of time, money and effort into making RE 6's four different campaigns into a package, plus usually the whole promotion and marketing is pushed back if any producer or spokeperson disclose insatifactions with the product, their motto is always to spit shine it no matter what

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Streamlining production seems to be one of the things Capcom was aiming with the RE engine, like they profit more if they can put more games in the market at one time span and if these games use same engine with only minor upgrades so it can reduce costs and maximize their profits... also they use that engine for more than RE now, Devil May Cry, Exoprimal possibly Dragon's Dogma and others games still to come.

Although RE 6 had nice sales I think Capcom won't ever acknowledge that they expected more of 6 and with more what I mean is being critically and commercially bigger than RE 5, it's clear to see why they prefer to conceal it, back then they put a lot of time, money and effort into making RE 6's four different campaigns into a package, plus usually the whole promotion and marketing is pushed back if any producer or spokepersont disclose insatifactions with the product, their motto is always to spit shine it no matter what
Yeah ı guess that makes sense. They are very cheap with the new re engine direction and the games overall feel very unpolished at the cost of overexaggerated graphics and " realism " . Even before re3r, re7 was already the most barebones game in the series and yet many that happen to be re6 haters would excuse it cause of " horror " talks. The same repetitive " survival horror " , " horror " and " canon " debates still happen in the fandom and they get more and more repetitive as time goes on. Same as that boring " return to roots " buzzword that gets said for re7 but re engine games feel more like downgraded re4 demos instead. I'm one of the few people who sees re engine for the utter failure that it is and ı also saw some in the fandom who sees the new direction that way. Even dmc5, a game that ı actually still like, grew its own issues for me with special edition in regards to vergil, even the reboot handled vergil better than dmc5 and that's something ı hate to admit.

You don't know shit about the efforts of the developers and the production of these games, Mert. You just don't like these games, so you try to justify your negative attitude with mental gymnastics.

Eh, however, this can't go on forever.

I know that you ignore me and will continue to write the same thing.

I'm leaving you from now on.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Chris and jill are still quite beautiful in this game with amazing va. Wesker however is such a joke when compared to the protagonists. He's even more pathetic here than ever before, seeing him getting consumed by his arrogance like a colossal imbecile is quite satisfying to listen.

Top Bottom