• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 New info, footage and key art via GameInformer

Yama

Owner

353_reveal_cover.jpg

Been away lately but have been patiently waiting for some more leading up to this puppy and wow! Needless to say I'll be around more when this hits. <3

More replayability?? I wonder exactly how. Random item paths? Adaptive difficulty in more ways than the original? Looks so good.

Yama

Owner
Been away lately but have been patiently waiting for some more leading up to this puppy and wow! Needless to say I'll be around more when this hits. <3

More replayability?? I wonder exactly how. Random item paths? Adaptive difficulty in more ways than the original? Looks so good.
Heard this as well and this was very interesting. Along with the tonal unification, this is perhaps something I'm most excited to hear about, especially in regards to how it's implemented. Not so sure it means random item paths, but would be great to get a game officially supporting this natively. Also side quests sound like a good fit for this game, more ways to utilize the semi-open areas the better.

Cow-head suits the game perfectly.

RE Engine's yellow-paint/tape motif, does not. I hate that they've stuck with that visual cue in all these remakes. Stands out like a sore-thumb, despite that being the intent. I just played through REmake again on PC for the first time, and nothing needs to stand out that much for me to get an idea what I should be looking at, while not betraying the cohesive and realistic visual style. Too hand-holdy for me.

RE4 remake is looking mostly great, otherwise.

Last edited:

The combat in the cabin looks way closer to The Evil Within than RE4.
I'll be honest the footage doesn't seem to present anything that's superior to the original RE4.

The hit reactions and animations in particular... He landed two headshots on two different enemies and they barely flinched.

Black crush and contrast seems like it's still a big problem as well.

Yama

Owner
The combat in the cabin looks way closer to The Evil Within than RE4.
I'll be honest the footage doesn't seem to present anything that's superior to the original RE4.

The hit reactions and animations in particular... He landed two headshots on two different enemies and they barely flinched.

Black crush and contrast seems like it's still a big problem as well.
Having played a lot of RE4 lately I noticed this as well straight away. The headshot stun is fundamental to the games satisfying and methodical gameplay loop, it allows you to quite literally perfect a run. Not sure if this sense of randomness is bad hit detection or by design, I'm near positive it's the latter however. Granted RE4 is going nowhere and is in the best state it's ever been in, so I'm open to something different. Though outside of basic modernization, I'm not so sure the gameplay will top the original based on what I saw, it may just be great in its own right though. There is a sense of satisfaction in RE4 that nothing has quite topped since, very unique title.

Yama

Owner

More extended footage from what GI have already shown us. It's really starting to look incredible.
After the last video I promised myself I'd go dark, but it being at like 15fps I wanted to see some smooth gameplay. Peeked for 30 seconds and this looks much better, very nice. Going to update as always whatever info releases, but going to avoid major videos from here on out. We're so close!

P.S. you weren't wrong about the yellow marker paint, the more I see the more it sticks out in an otherwise detailed and immersive atmosphere.

After the last video I promised myself I'd go dark, but it being at like 15fps I wanted to see some smooth gameplay. Peeked for 30 seconds and this looks much better, very nice. Going to update as always whatever info releases, but going to avoid major videos from here on out. We're so close!
Yeah, I think this particular video is a proper and safe watch.

I'm liking the moment-to-moment transitions between dark and brighter environments. I was uncertain about the rain, but in 4K, it doesn't look as bad as what I initially saw.

Really digging the side quests.

Leon's melee moves are quick and snappy. Believable. I like the reasonable muscle tone they've given him, too.

Ashley seems to be an improvement as a character all around. I like the extra banter between the characters.

If you notice, they're keeping a lot of the same lines from the original, injected into the newer dialogue. Really good move there.

I still groaned at the yellow ladder in the church.

The church being more of a stealth section makes sense. Saddler letting the good guys get away in the original was dumb as hell. This change right here shows me more than anything that they're making an effort for narrative logic, I hope.

Not a fan of the colored beacons of light signifying an item (even though they're much thinner and less noticeable than in the original, which is good) and the contextual icons above enemies' heads. I'm sure these will be togglable in the settings, if not through mods. HUD always off, for me.

The chicken egg in the nest (even though it's a chicken) at least shows Capcom is trying to make some sense of item placement, which is appreciated. I don't want grenades dropping from crows, either.

The attaché case providing buffs is an interesting decision. The little trinkets being put on the case rides the line of being a little too quirky or even gimmicky, but it might grow on me. I guess Ada did give Leon those jet ski keys at the end of the original, after all.

Hunnigan being displayed as a floating screen obviously not being seen by our characters, is an incredibly strange visual design choice. Don't like it. Not immersive like how it would be in something like Dead Space.

Other than the above complaints, the visual cohesion in movement and style with the other remakes is awesome to see in action. Truly looks like an extension of RE2R and RE3R, which RE4 original lacked in relationship with its predecessors.

Last edited:
No game has stopped the feel of gun like in RE4. Shooting feels so satisfying. I hope in Remake don't act like Evil Within and TLOU where they run up close which makes it hard to shoot. I don't want stealth in RE games, never. More sidequests is a positive thing. More content is good.

I agree about the church. Wasn't realistic seeing Leon and Ashley jumping through a window before without a scratch on their bodies, so it sure feels good to see that changed.

I sure do hope there's a more difficult survival-oriented mode that takes away Storage from the typewriters, potentially even with ink ribbons like Hardcore mode in RE2R. I do not like that addition.

Something about having Storage without actual boxes bothers me. We're already suspending disbelief with attaché cases, which is fine, but an invisible box at each typewriter is a bit overkill as the original was barely requiring survival horror-esque item management as is.

A new survival-based "Professional" mode would remedy this for me, with my whole intention for the remake to feel a bit more like the classics with its immersion and need for item management.

Last edited:
PS5 games are over £70 now. Phew! 🎮

But it's RE4. Going to be worth every penny. But I have a feeling that they're going to charge fans for DLC such as Separate Ways.

I'm assuming we're still getting that, at least. They normally have something else lined up, post release.

Top Bottom