• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Resistance Kawata interview from today

-I tried playing right away. The quality of play is completely different on the survivor side and the master mind side.

Kawada: The game system is a four-to-one battle, but how can you make five players feel fun? I think that will be the main point of this work.

――Where did the idea of “asymmetrical battle type horror” come from?

Kawada “Project Resistance” is a challengeable title. The offline campaign mode will continue to be enjoyable as a single unit, just like the previous “Resident Evil” works. At the same time, we will focus on the online mode to create an experience that has never been seen before.

――When you talk about “Resident Evil” online, many fans think of “Resident Evil Outbreak”.

Kawada: Although we are not inspired by “Outbreak”, we think that “Resident Evil” is something in common. However, there are many customers who experienced at TGS that the survivor feels difficult, and I think there is room for adjustment.

-Certainly, when I tried out, the survivor couldn't escape regretfully, but when I played Mastermind, I was able to prevent escape on the second map.

Kawada: Even within the development, the winning rate on the master mind side was high at first, but the winning rate on the survivor side increased as we played. When the player grasps the flow to escape (acquisition of key items, etc.), learns the map structure, and assembles the tactics, the master mind side becomes completely involved.

――If you are used to the survivor side, can you aim to escape efficiently?

Kawada: The survivor is often able to do it, and it may be difficult to understand. The master mind side is an extreme story, and the game progresses without any operation, so the master mind is overwhelmingly in terms of ease of sticking.

-The survivor needs to read Mastermind's actions while fighting zombies and other creatures.

Kawada: In my first play, I think that it is a factor that the survivor side is disadvantaged that it tends to feel that skills are not used much or weapons are not customized. I don't know where to use before I know the time to reuse a skill, so I think there is room for adjustment.

-It seems difficult to adjust the balance if it is asymmetrical ...?

Kawada: Although difficult, the point is that the players on the survivor side can also feel a sense of accomplishment.

――With limited trial time, it is difficult to reach a place where you can feel a sense of accomplishment.

Kawada: A closed beta test will be held from 4pm to 4pm on October 4th, 2019 (Japan time), so please try it out until you succeed.

-Will adjustments be entered from the TGS exhibition version?

Kawada At TGS, NeoBards Entertainment, a joint developer, has come to the trial booth. We just discussed how to arrange in the closed beta test.

--So that's it. By the way, this work is positioned as a “working title”, and the release is undecided, but I would like to ask what is necessary for finalizing the release.

Kawada: First of all, it is the minimum requirement that everyone can feel “interesting”. For those who were expecting remake or remaster of "Outbreak", it would be a shame that it would betray the expectations, but on the other hand, it was received as a new title such as "Mastermind seems to be fun" I have also heard from customers. The first goal is to release quality works that meet such expectations.

--The title “Project Resistance” is also a tentative title?

Kawada: That's right. By the way, “resistance” in this title includes the theme of resistance to mastermind. Also, can you do something interesting beyond the current framework of the “Resident Evil” series? It also means resistance to the theory so far.

――The eyes go to the place where the title logo “RE” is red.

Kawada is conscious of “Resident Evil (“ Resident Evil ”overseas title)”. Is it easy to understand that it is a work related to “Resident Evil”? At the time of “Resident Evil RE: 2”, “Remake” and “Resident Evil” were double-meaning, but it may have been received as “Outbreak” remake.

――There seems to be an offline campaign mode on stage.

Kawada: The only thing we can tell you about at the moment is that there is a campaign mode.

--I am looking forward to it. Going back online, will there be characters other than those selected in the trial version?

Kawada Survivor and Mastermind are preparing other characters. I think there will be characters familiar to the fans of the series, so please look forward to future information. There are also many creatures planned, including zombies, rickers, and tyrants.

-I want to play the closed beta test as soon as possible. Is the composition of 4 to 1 unchanged from the TGS version?

Kawada Yes. However, it is necessary to build online play so that not only the balance of the game but also the losing mastermind will not fall off as “quit” and the game can continue even if it happens. I think. I want to set points and ranks, but the same is true for a system that allows players to match smoothly.

――Do you feel that you can continue to develop while watching the TGS, the closed beta test that will be performed in the future, and the voice of fans?

Kawada: While there are times when we have a negative opinion, it is very important to get your opinions. I would like to give feedback as much as possible. Please cooperate with the closed beta test!

The offline mode will probably still be terrible. Unless they really will take the criticism on board and change this pish before it gets officially released. ?

It's still made with the RE Engine which I am a fan of. What I have seen of the game play and graphics look good, I'm just not a fan of the multiplayer concept they are implementing. I'm holding out hope it has some decent single player game play.

Yama

Owner
――When you talk about “Resident Evil” online, many fans think of “Resident Evil Outbreak”.

Kawada: Although we are not inspired by “Outbreak”, we think that “Resident Evil” is something in common. However, there are many customers who experienced at TGS that the survivor feels difficult, and I think there is room for adjustment.

--So that's it. By the way, this work is positioned as a “working title”, and the release is undecided, but I would like to ask what is necessary for finalizing the release.

Kawada: First of all, it is the minimum requirement that everyone can feel “interesting”. For those who were expecting remake or remaster of "Outbreak", it would be a shame that it would betray the expectations, but on the other hand, it was received as a new title

Best takeaway from this interview.

It’s not their answer to Outbreak. They know it does not fill that void. It is not inspired by it.

They’re aware of a want for Outbreak and understand our desire. This just isn’t the project.

They're willing to make this work, for what it is. It’s easier to accept as it’s own IP and help make it as good as it can be.

Best takeaway from this interview.

It’s not their answer to Outbreak. They know it does not fill that void. It is not inspired by it.

They’re aware of a want for Outbreak and understand our desire. This just isn’t the project.

They're willing to make this work, for what it is. It’s easier to accept as it’s own IP and help make it as good as it can be.
atleast they acknowledged outbreak series.

Maybe so, but this isn't what anybody asked for. We wanted a new Outbreak game, something very faithful to the original, or we would have gladly settled for a much needed remastering of the original two games.

Man... I think I'll just hibernate until 2020 begins. I was really disappointed in 2019 for gaming news overall. Then Konami shoved it in our faces by renewing the IP for Silent Hill, but they probably won't work on a new one any day soon.

Pish indeed!

IkariKH

B.S.A.A.
I feel like i'm the only one who's actually looking forward to this game. I want a full fledged Outbreak remake or remaster. But i also don't mind this title as it's own unique thing too. It looks fun.

I feel like i'm the only one who's actually looking forward to this game. I want a full fledged Outbreak remake or remaster. But i also don't mind this title as it's own unique thing too. It looks fun.

you're not alone.

because of im both a resident evil fan and asymmetrical multiplayer genre games like dead by daylight, friday the 13th, etc. This could be good. But I hope capcom support this post-launch.

Although i have yet to see something interesting enough about this game to be excited to play it, I sincerely hope it succeeds, since i think this is not an Umbrella Corps type of game (which most likely had a rushed development, made on the unity engine and just made for a quick buck). However, the pacing seems faster than your usual survival horror game, lets hope the online multiplayer is actually fun, and beta testers help the developers forge a better game.

Yama

Owner
I’m excited by the possibilities, not by what was shown. Would like to try the beta and submit valuable feedback, I care for the project.

I’d prefer an Outbreak styled game too and feel we’ll get one, but seeing as so many years has went by, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a direct tie in, remake, sequel, etc. I’d actually prefer something totally fresh that plays similar, introduces new lore and is built around today’s standards ala RE:2/3. I think it’d do better as many missed out on those games. It could bare the IP’s name though.

I'm excited for it as well, it looks very fun and the Mastermind aspect is something I've always wanted. I just feel like it needs a lot more polish and some features overhauled which hopefully it receives since Capcom seems to still be referring to it as an "idea". I will also be submitting feedback if I (hopefully) get into the beta.

I will always want an Outbreak remaster or sequel but I'm not gonna knock this for that. It looks fun as its own thing. Hopefully we'll get something outbreak related at some point in the future. This is definitely not another Umbrella Corps.

IkariKH

B.S.A.A.
The hate this game is getting is ridiculous. I really hope this project doesn't get killed before it even gets started due to the whiney fanbase.

90% of the crying is coming from people who don't like multiplayer and want re3/8 instead.

This game in no way affects the development of 3 and 8 which are already coming. So shitting on it for not being 3/8 is ridiculous and ignorant.

If you aren't into multiplayer, that's fine. But don't shit all over the game and ruin it for people who do just because it's not 3/8 which again, are already still coming regardless of whether this game exists or not....

Since it's using RE engine, as the long as they plan the stage and settings for offline mode carefully, remove the crowed UI & special effect from online mode, I think the offline mode will be interesting.
You probably don't feel fighting mastermind. Instead, just similar experience to RE2 gameplay.

Top Bottom