• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General How long have you been a fan of the series?

As I was saying, I will probably do a marathon run later this year, since I have a cable that can change AV to HDMI. A lot of newer brands of television sets don't have a socket for a scart lead or the AV cables anymore. You would think it would be like a very standard thing, but I have a HD TV. The screen is flatter, but it just works with HDMI.

2000 and I was visiting my brother and he was trying to scare me and started playing RE1 (I was five or six) and I was terrified but also it interested me so much that I couldn't stop watching. After that every weekend I went over to his house every weekend (different moms) and asked if I could play and I sucked at it for a few years but I think I was seven when I beat the first game and as a reward he gave me all his RE games at the time (RE1,RE2, Survivor, and CVX). Ever since then I've been collecting RE stuff.. That and Jurassic Park.. I have no money for free time between the two. Lol

Altho I was not a fan of RE6's dinosaurs...

1998 when RE2 came out I played RE1 & 2 back to back. What a way to start the series, I thought RE1 was good, then I put in RE2 and it blew my mind!!

Playing Code Veronica on the Dreamcast was amazing too.

In terms of when my sister became a fan, it must have been when I let her play the old ones. We had a blast with RE5, but we always struggled to not waste our ammo in the later levels. I think RE5/6 are okay to play for their co-op, but in terms of how great they are in the lore, they did disappoint. I think the Chronicles games were partially also made so that fans that started with RE4 didn't have to play the old storylines in a non shooter style.

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
4 years. I got into Resident Evil franchise with RE4 in 2015 after getting disappointed with DMC4 Special Edition. ( The game was still a half game and I remember being extremely disappointed with this decision due to DMC4 being my 1st DMC game and having a special place in my heart. )

After finishing RE4 and liking the hell out of it, I eventually bought RE5 and finished that too. I remember getting disappointed and having frustrating situations with it which was mainly due to partner AI and the game didn't feel as satisfying to play as RE4.

Some time passed; and I wanted to buy RE6 and check the reviews for it. However the reviews were really mixed; it was a situation similar to DMC2 / DmC, the games that I found terrible and hated with a passion. Since RE5 was disappointing after playing RE4, the reviews kept me away from the game along with the franchise for a couple years until RE7 was released.

With the release of RE7, I bought the game and finished it. I remember enjoying the game more than RE5; ( but not as much as RE4 ) but I remember getting confused about the story. It had such a weird tone to it and I couldn't explain it to myself until I replayed RE games. ( Of course my enjoyment drastically decreased unlike RE5 which grew more on me after replaying RE games a couple of times. )

Before the release of RE2 Remake; I finished playing all mainline RE games and my reason for getting interested into playing more RE games was TGBS' " Why RE6 is awesome? " video. I wanted to try RE6 but before that; I wanted to know what happened in RE timeline pre-2004 so I played Remake, RE2 and RE3. ( I played the last 2 on an emulator. ) I liked the hell out of those games and after playing those; I bought and played RE6. To my big surprise; I also liked that game and it felt like an improvement over RE5 in many ways, including in Chris' campaign which I felt wasn't as fun to play as other campaigns.

After that, I learned there were more mainline RE entries other than numbered entries and also finished them before the release of RE2 Remake. Only really liked RECV; RE0 and Revelations were extremely boring. RE1 was good but didn't age that well and Revelations 2 had some fun parts, mostly in Barry's campaign.

Eventually I played RE2 Remake after the game got released and it was kind of a disappointment.

I played Resident Evil, the original, in early 1997, but didn't get until Christmas of 1997 along with a PS1. I was 15 then. A month later, Resident Evil 2 came out and since then I vowed that I would follow this story just to see what happens next.

The first game I saw was Survivor, and I think I saw it sometime between 2003 to 2005, when I was a child. My dad was playing it, and I thought it was the coolest thing in existence. I remember seeing him fight lickers, the Tyrant, and the end scene where the Tyrant is hanging on to the helicopter until its blown up. Then about 2013 or 2014 my brother got a copy of Revelations, and he got too scared to play it at the beginning, so he handed it to me. I'd say that is the insant I fell in love with the series.

From what I remember, my older sister used to play a lot of games with female protagonists. So I bought RE2 off of her, and have been a fan ever since 1999.

Of course, the franchise has had a lot of bad spells since 2005. But I remain a fan.

I do stand by what I said, when I stated that The Last of Us is a better game in general. But RE is a scarier franchise overall.

I think it was 2001 when I bought OG 3 for the PlayStation. It was the first game I ever bought myself (instead of borrowing games from my brothers) and I gotta admit, it was way too scary for me back then. I may have turned off my PS with my eyes closed when Nemesis burst into the RPD. 😅

You guys are good for having civil discussions, even if some users here got into the series later than others.

But see when it comes to trying to discuss the franchise elsewhere online...

OH GOD! That's a lost cause.

Top Bottom