• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Chronicles Chronicles Retelling Sections Best to Worst?

I barely remember the Chronicles version of RE3 and after looking for videos online found that it was hilariously bad.

Maybe I will replay some of these tomorrow I remember not liking Darkside because for some reason they thought it would be cool to add “drunk guy holds the camera wobble”. It’s hard for me to hit anything in that game I loved Umbrella chronicles though. There is a lot to love in Umbrella chronicles especially the extra scenarios with Wesker and Lisa, Rebecca having a nightmare about Yawn and then fighting with Richard, as well as the additional hunk and Ada sections.

I know people love their cannon but RE2 remake is now my favorite in the series it’s such an amazingly fun game to play and sticks to the original pretty well in my opinion.

I think the Chronicles games did a better job of being faithful, though. Yeah, I get that everybody wanted a fully fledged remake like Shinji's remake, which we sadly didn't get and probably never will now, but to say they're gonna "remake" something, that later ends up being a reimagined experience, they've technically kind of lied, because they've taken the basic premise, and kind of gutted the rest of it.

I think the Chronicles games did a better job of being faithful, though. Yeah, I get that everybody wanted a fully fledged remake like Shinji's remake, which we sadly didn't get and probably never will now, but to say they're gonna "remake" something, that later ends up being a reimagined experience, they've technically kind of lied, because they've taken the basic premise, and kind of gutted the rest of it.
I agree. It was false advertisement, and they didnt even give it a new title, they just called it Resident Evil 2 as if it was exactly like the original. I like the gameplay, but the story feels so disconnected and janky that I lose interest in it. Darkside, while having a wobbly camera, is extremely faithful to the original, yet 2make was a different team who wanted to take an already established story and make it their own.

I would probably rank the retellings in the Chronicles games as:
1. Re2
2. Code Veronica
3. Re0
4. Remake
5. 4th Survivor
6. Re3

The Re2 retelling was the most faithful of them all, both retelling the major points while also conjoining them in a way that makes sense. The gameplay is a bit off with the wobbly camera, but its easy enough to get the critical hits. The CV retelling kind of rushed through its story a bit, leaving out some of the plot, but its still cohesive enough to get the point across. The Re0 retelling was pretty faithful, but cut off some of the "fat" of the original to get through it rather quickly. Remake is kind of lacking. We only see Rebecca, and Barry is left out entirely. Other than that we still see most of the bosses other than Lisa, though she shows up in Wesker's chapter. Re3 was awful in terms of faithfulness. The Nemesis is saved for the last chapter, and the Lickers look so wimpy as well, something I didnt like in Outbreak either. I like that there are callbacks to Outbreak in it, but it just feels lazy when its used like this.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The reason why darkside chronicles was faithful to re2 is cause of shotaro suga ı think. He was the main writer of that game and he previously wrote degeneration. He was also the main writer of re6 and damnation which were released in the same year. I think the products he worked on as a writer are extremely underrated, especially re6. I wished that game didnt get its reputation ruined by those fans, it didnt deserve it. Things would have been so much better if re6 received a better reception in the past.

I wished shotaro suga was alive. I would have preferred if capcom made an actual re2 remake and hired shotaro suga as the writer for the game. But unfortunately that didnt happen...

Top Bottom