• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Chronicles Chronicles Retelling Sections Best to Worst?

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
RE Zero, RE1 and RE2 cover most of what you need to know and expect from a small retelling. CODE: Veronica's was also amazingly reimagined but they cut one of the most important moments in the series which was Chris and Wesker meeting for the first time post-Mansion but it was still pretty decent.

I don't know what order I'd put them in, except I know that the RE3 retelling would be last (worst). Besides changing and leaving out so much, It's treatment of Nemesis was criminal. It should have stalked you throughout all the levels, and his voice wasn't the least bit creepy.

I think I like all the others as short summaries, although I agree with Cap about Wesker in Game of Oblivion.

Bandage131

Finger Lickerin' Good
CV > RE2 > RE1 > RE0 > RE3

The RE3 section was complete trash. The second chapter used the subway when Outbreak provided us the hospital, y'know, a location RE3 actually WENT TO. Since the whole of the game recycled, I can forgive reusing Outbreak environments, but c'mon, the subway over the hospital?

Yeah RE 3 retelling was a letdown however since they added a subway section to It this could somehow be included in RE 3 Remake (a section properly designed to make It more interesting than UC's) and would certainly extend the Remake campaign's length.

There were some design decisions that I actually prefered in Game of Oblivion over CV. Like Monster Steve. And the music quality in GoO was intact from the original, if I'm remembering correctly.
Although GoO also gave us the worst line of dialogue in the series: "Zombies, Zombies, Zombies... It's like we're in a video game!" Cringe.
Then there is the under-utilization of Wesker like Cap said (Steve threatening to beat up Wesker is another line that is at best funny, at worst cringe-worthy. GoO did not help to make me change my negative feelings regarding Steve).

Memory of a Lost City also did justice to the already magnificent monster designs of RE2.

I also prefer the depiction of the Queen Leech in Train Derailment, although it admitably ruins some of the mystery.

Last edited:

Bandage131

Finger Lickerin' Good
There were some design decisions that I actually prefered in Game of Oblivion over CV. Like Monster Steve. And the music quality in GoO was intact from the original, if I'm remembering correctly.
Although GoO also gave us the worst line of dialogue in the series: "Zombies, Zombies, Zombies... It's like we're in a video game!" Cringe.
Then there is the under-utilization of Wesker like Cap said (Steve threatening to beat up Wesker is another line that is at best funny, at worst cringe-worthy. GoO did not help to make me change my negative feelings regarding Steve).

Memory of a Lost City also did justice to the already magnificent monster designs of RE2.

I also prefer the depiction of the Queen Leech in Train Derailment, although it admitably ruins some of the mystery.

Dialogue aside, Game of Onlivion was just more coherent and better told than Code Veronica was. There are times when I do a series playthrough that I swap Code Veronica with Game of Oblivion, and I don't feel anything is really lost.

Dialogue aside, Game of Onlivion was just more coherent and better told than Code Veronica was. There are times when I do a series playthrough that I swap Code Veronica with Game of Oblivion, and I don't feel anything is really lost.

I’m starting to consider that as well, along with RE0. I played these games more than most people and I am getting burnt out. They feel more like a chore to play and have serious pacing issues.

Oh, and Bandersnatchers can go fuck off with their cheap insta grabs off screen.

Last edited:
What do you think about the other retellings?

RE2's covers the basics of the story beats and the characterization is probably the best of these retellings. Aside from some dumb moments like the rocket lipstick and the weird Ada fanservice moment and Claire's amazing knife throwing skills on first encountering zombies, it's the best. And you can't look at the ending to Memoir while comparing it to RE2 2019 and tell me that that ending is inferior to the remake's. Seriously, what the hell was up with RE2 2019's ending?

CV's is good as it improves on Steve's character to make him less annoying. The background and overall feel while playing is great. Alfred's portrayal is the best we've ever seen of him as he actually comes off as crazy and threatening. The only real letdowns for me are Alexia's bizarre personality change to make her completely evil for no reason and that Monster Steve's encounter (except the transformation) and subsequent death were better done in the original. Claire and Steve being alone together along with the cooler lighting, music, and dialogue were far more impactful in the original game.

The rest are ok, there's nothing really wrong or exciting that happens in them that put them over what they did with Game and Memoir to me. Except Remake's retelling having Jill and Chris stick together the whole time. But that's just because I like Chris and Jill working together.

The others above sum up why I don't like RE3's retelling. Just, so, so lazy.

Captain Redfield

If you guys are switching RE0 and CV for retellings then you are losing a ton of stuff. Not to mention that CV was the game that carried the story forward.
If you play retelling instead of Zero you don't even see Bravo Tem reaching the forest and you skip Edward's death. CV is even worse because you barely see Chris and Wesker, Rodrigo is nowhere to be seen, the Hunter II isn't used like in the original, Nosferatu just appears out of nowhere without any build-up and CV's adventure is overall very rich in character moments, story details, puzzles, Enemy encounters and exploration.

Bandage131

Finger Lickerin' Good
If you guys are switching RE0 and CV for retellings then you are losing a ton of stuff. Not to mention that CV was the game that carried the story forward.
If you play retelling instead of Zero you don't even see Bravo Tem reaching the forest and you skip Edward's death. CV is even worse because you barely see Chris and Wesker, Rodrigo is nowhere to be seen, the Hunter II isn't used like in the original, Nosferatu just appears out of nowhere without any build-up and CV's adventure is overall very rich in character moments, story details, puzzles, Enemy encounters and exploration.

When I replace CV with Game of Oblivion, I pause in certain sections and read the files from my copy of Archives, but understand that I feel nothing is missed from losing Rodrigo. As much as he's a somewhat interesting character, he's also more or less inconsequential. He adds little to the narrative and is forgotten easily.

And Nosferatu doesn't "appear out of nowhere" anymore in Game of Oblivion than he does in the original game. You see him through the floor of the secret room and then you fight him a little later, the only thing you miss is watching him break free.

Also his fight in Game of Oblivion is better than the original.

The only thing that can be said to "come out of nowhere" is Chris's appearance in Antarctica.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Sorry for the late reply but ı kinda had a change of heart when it comes to umbrella chronicles' scenarios. I have to agree with criticisms the umbrella chronicles' retelling scenarios get. I still think they are ok though.

I'm surprised none even criticises remake though. Like why is none mentioning barry? He should have appeared and there should have been an ending where all 4 characters survive.

Re0 also feels really rushed; ı dont like how that elevator works at the end of chapter 3; ı preferred re0's elevator. I also preferred marcus in original game over the retelling; ı personally liked his young design and its over the top nature. For some reason in retelling, he appears as a random leech man; original was better imo.

Anyways; my new opinion:

Re2 > Recv > 4th survivor > The others

Re2 is the best one. I dont really have any complaints about it. Also ı love claire's badass knife skills as well as ada's gadget so ı'm still gonna disagree with the criticisms this retelling gets.

Recv is great but not as good as re2. Dont like how they changed alexia's personality so that she kills alfred. And she's annoying in this, in original; alexia was really intimidating but not here. I dont think ı have any other complaints.

4th survivor is good for what it is and ı actually prefer it over the ones in re2 and re2 remake. Unpopular opinion but not a big fan of those modes in those 2 games due to being really difficult. It's shorter compared to re2 and recv though.

The others are ok. They are really flawed, especially re3 ( Nemesis sounds like a robot. ) , but regardless ı enjoyed them for what they are.

Last edited:

Captain Redfield

Sorry for the late reply but ı kinda had a change of heart when it comes to umbrella chronicles' scenarios. I have to agree with criticisms the umbrella chronicles' retelling scenarios get. I still think they are ok though.

I'm surprised none even criticises remake though. Like why is none mentioning barry? He should have appeared and there should have been an ending where all 4 characters survive.

Re0 also feels really rushed; ı dont like how that elevator works at the end of chapter 3; ı preferred re0's elevator. I also preferred marcus in original game over the retelling; ı personally liked his young design and its over the top nature in. For some reason in retelling, he appears as a random leech man; original was better imo.

Anyways; my new opinion:

Re2 > Recv > 4th survivor > The others

Re2 is the best one. I dont really have any complaints about it. Also ı love claire's badass knife skills as well as ada's gadget so ı'm still gonna disagree with the criticisms this retelling gets.

Recv is great but not as good as re2. Dont like how they changed alexia's personality so that she kills alfred. And she's annoying in this, in original; alexia was really intimidating but not here. I dont think ı have any other complaints.

4th survivor is good for what it is and ı actually prefer it over the ones in re2 and re2 remake. Unpopular opinion but not a big fan of those modes in those 2 games due to being really difficult. It's shorter compared to re2 and recv though.

The others are ok. They are really flawed, especially re3 ( Nemesis sounds like a robot. ) , but regardless ı enjoyed them for what they are.

Well, RE1's retelling focuses on Wesker's perspective and Chris was the one who confronted him in the labs alongside Rebecca. The ending with Jill and Barry where Barry shoots Wesker and gets slapped by the Tyrant never happened, I guess this is why Barry never appeared in the game at all, but he was still in the intro though.
It was pretty much Chris's scenario with the addition of Jill, how it should have been even in Remake's ending.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Well, RE1's retelling focuses on Wesker's perspective and Chris was the one who confronted him in the labs alongside Rebecca. The ending with Jill and Barry where Barry shoots Wesker and gets slapped by the Tyrant never happened, I guess this is why Barry never appeared in the game at all, but he was still in the intro though.
It was pretty much Chris's scenario with the addition of Jill, how it should have been even in Remake's ending.
Yeah; you kinda have a point captain; especially when it comes to wesker's perspective. I'm guessing that's why jill doesnt get infected in re3 since according to re5; wesker didnt know jill was infected until she got captured and surprised that her antibodies played a role for uroboros.

Though ı still think it would have been cool to see barry at least at the end as well as seeing all 4 characters together in brad's helicopter.

They all have their ups and downs. While i appreciated the mind games in game of oblivion i absolutely hated their version of Alexia. She was a hollow villan in that version and she NEVER would have killed Alfred. Their twisted bond was a mirror reflection of the Redfields strong sibling bond and its just lost in the retelling. That aside Game of oblivion was probably the retelling i enjoyed the most, Alexia aside.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
That weird moment when you realize umbrella chronicles' re3 section kept the grave digger unlike the actual remake that lazily combined hunter gamma and grave digger into one, creating a weird looking chicken type of monster.

Also imo; darkside chronicles " remakes " re2 much better than the actual remake does. Better story, characters, monsters, environment etc. It connects to future entries ( recv, re4 and re6. ) unlike re2 remake which cant even connect to itself.

For me; re6 and darkside chronicles are extremely underrated while re7 and re2 remake are extremely overrated.

Top Bottom