• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Unpopular Opinions on Biohazard

For starters I copied An Herb Sandwich's, Miketheus2's comment from the previous Biohaze:

RE4 is overrated and RE5 improves on nearly everything in 4 and is the better game.

Leon is the most bland out of the main protagonists and hadn't really evolved as a character until Vendetta.

They need to retire the older characters and focus on developing new characters for protagonists.

6 and 7 are two sides of the same coin when it comes to going too far in one genre direction when it comes to the games (though 7 is the better game out of the two). This could also be said when comparing 4 and 7 as well.

Some I assume 'unpopular opinions' :

-Fixed camera angles are not outdated and controls associated with them are not outdated and I am very disappointed they will not turn up in Bio 2 RE.
-The original game is the hardest one to date next to CVX.
-Zero can get boring really fast.
-4 has been the reason for difficulties regarding the plot and 5 did what it could to rescue the story.
-4 is also the most unrealistic, when it comes to the plaga, enemies and locations and can get repetitive with all the shooting galleries.
-Chris' muscles, while jarring at first are nothing to make a fuss about.
-Revelations and Revelations 2 with all their setbacks and flaws were a 'return to the series roots'.
-Voice acting in 5 and 6 was probably the best in the series.
-End of Zoe's combat is ridiculous and is more out of place than 6's mechanics, which are underrated.

Resident Evil 7 is one of the finest, and boldest steps the series has possibly ever made. And I absolutely love it for it.

Resident Evil 6, whilst really not that great. Is an absolute blast to play and has some of the best character moments in the series.

Resident Evil 4 is arguably one of the most overrated games of all time, and needed a course correct so hard, we are still feeling the effects of its impact on the story line 15 years later.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Re6 is the most underrated re game in the series and is my most favourite re game.

Re7 is the most overrated re game in the series.

My favourite virus is c-virus.

Main numbered re games ( plus recv and excluding re0 since that's a prequel similar to rerev games. ) focusing more on action than horror ( Re4, re5 and re6 basically. ) doesnt bother me and it actually makes sense storywise. I wished re7 also did this.

Re2 remake is a better re game / game than re1 remake however re1 remake is a better remake; re2 remake is more of a reimagining than a remake if anything; especially storywise.

Some examples.

Bandage131

Finger Lickerin' Good
RE6 is a halfway decent game that is an absolute joy to play, even though Jake's scenario has the worst setpieces.

Ada is an overrated character who has added absolutely nothing to the franchise and continues to be thrown in as nothing but fanservice rather an plotservice.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
I would say that RE5 is one of the best and most polished games in the series but it truly ain't that unpopular because the game is highly appreciated by most fans in the series, that's a fact I realized recently. The review scores and sales pretty much sum up RE5's quality, it is just the unsatisfied voices that are the loudest.

Don't know if these are unpopular but rather opinions I rarely see:

- RE Survivor is a very enjoyable and fun game, the different paths actually kept me coming back for more;
- Marhawa Desire is a much better structured story than any of the CGI movies and my favorite canon story outside of the videogames;
- The Outbreak games are fantastic and give you so much Raccoon City, even better when you're playing as your everyday citizens caught in the middle of the crisis;

Last edited:

Captain Redfield

I wish I had your opinion of Marhawa desire.

That's why we all have different opinions haha

For the first time we could see place full of living people doing their normal activities and then slowly falling apart, that's something I wish we could see more often in the series. Other than that, it is a direct prequel to a game in the series, unlike the CGI movies that only have small references and links to the games.
I still think Vendetta is a pretty good movie from horror to action and animation. The story, while direct to the point and pretty straight forward could've been a bit more elaborated at some parts like the novel proved it. The latter is a problem that exists in all of the CGI movies in my opinion, Vendetta just has better animation, choreography and those first 30 mins were some pretty good horror.

Marhawa simply works better as a story.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Rerev2 is underrated and a great improvement over the 1st one in every way.

Re5 is better than re4 and re6 is better than re5.

Mangas, especially marhawa desire and heavenly island are underrated.

Biohazard the stage is underrated.

Cgi films are also underrated.

Jill is a boring main character, especially when compared to chris, claire and leon.

Not hiring a writer for re4 was a laughably bad decision. Though even with that, it still has a better story and characters than re7.

Mold from re7 sucks, enemy variety is terrible and there's barely any origins for it other than a lame hcf fanservice.

Re0 is underrated and a great prequel to remake. ( Giant bat bossfight still sucks though... )

I like both re2 and re2 remake equally.

Main re games shouldnt stick to 1st person camera like re7 did. Either over the shoulder, fixed or both.

Recv has the best villains of the franchise.

Rerev is overrated.

Captain Redfield

Jill is a boring main character, especially when compared to chris, claire and leon.

I wouldn't say that Jill is boring because she's a top character of mine. It is just that when you stop to think about it, no character has the same amount of background, development, quotes and many story interactions as Chris, he's just very complete through and through. The only character that comes close to Chris in terms of constructive background is Claire and that's probably only because she's Chris's sister. However, in terms of development, none of them hold a candle to Chris.

I still wish they gave the Chris treatment to every character though.

N7Valentine

It's my turn now, Bitch!
...to each on their own but as a Jill fan I disagree. My main and only critisism with Jill is that, compared to Chris; Leon and Claire, she didn't have a story which focuses on her as a main character in all those 10 years, whereas Chris, Claire and Leon had several appearances during that time. Her last and canonical role/appearance was in RE5 (set in 2009).

Capcom has enough material to create a story around Jill post-RE5, but how they gonna use her in a potential future role, is up to them...

Okay, here we go with my unpopular opinions lol hold onto your horses. I'll probably only say the one that's been on my mind for a looong time, for the honeymoon period of RE2 Remake really hasn't passed yet.

For me RE2 Remake was super disappointing which is probably a very surprising opinion considering the whole internet's widespread approval of the game. For background I liked RE7 and RE Revelations 2 granted they both had some amount of flaws, but I feel gameplay and presentation wise they're the closest to RE2 Remake to compare with. I'll list off my issues with the game in list format to keep things neater since I have a lot to say.

1) STORY: I just feel like RE2 Remake is in a weird limbo state between "Remake" and "Reimagining" which are two totally different ballparks and since it sits in the middle it doesn't accomplish either effectively, plus, we already have so many non-canon stories or retellings of the events of RE2 that it seems like a misstep to make another reimagining. I feel like many people wanted a game that would replace the original RE2's place in the series and instead we got another non-canon "what if" scenario that doesn't even go the full way with the same story beats done haphazardly. The additions are more pointless than insightful, like the orphanage, which should've been a full level or area but is instead a linear and easy-to-beat chase scene. The cut enemies would've done well here, they allude to Umbrella experimenting on children, and a lot of people want Capcom to tackle these darker themes which they have done before with Lisa Trevor, but it never happens with the goofy tone of RE2 Remake in general.

2) TONE: Yes, RE is cheesy and has cheesy one-lines at times, but there's a point where the characters and story have to stop joking because the situation is so dire. For example, take the fence scenes with Leon and Claire, they seem like they're not even caring that they just witnessed a guy crash his helicopter and die nor are there zombies about to kill them, instead they're at a county fair. All other RE games have pretty much no issues with the tone to my knowledge, and with this goofy tone viewers cannot possibly take the story seriously. Sure, RE's story's not supposed to be good as told by many fans countless times, but I think Capcom genuinely wants to tell good, serious, effective stories one day and this is definitely not the direction you want to take the dialogue.

3) GAMEPLAY: This is more personal preference so feel free to disagree, but to me having a breakable knife goes against the very nature of Resident Evil and I hope it's not a permanent mainstay. Having a knife stuck in another enemy or broken with no ammo in something like a boss fight is absurd to me, I feel that even if you run out of ammo in an RE game you can always rely on a knife. Without a knife or ammo in a boss fight or a scripted sequence you're basically totally screwed, granted the game gives a lot of resources to balance it out but what if we just wanted to run with the knife? Now we have to carry multiple knives to compensate for their low life. Sure, knives are overpowered, but honestly it's more unrealistic to have a knife that's better than bullets but breakable compared to an unbreakable knife that's weaker. Realism isn't even an excuse at this point and I'm sick of people blaming design decisions on "realism" when anything can happen in this franchise.

Another design decision I couldn't really get behind was the zombies, which are practically unkillable here. This doesn't strike me as annoying however, it just encourages players to run past them and avoid every enemy in the game when they're supposed to be scary and engaging. It's actually way too easy to run from enemies in a supposed horror game, at least in my eyes. Honestly nothing outside of boss fights were actual threats to me so I just hauled ass. Ideally, to fix this, I would design the enemies more around strategically avoiding them or killing them instead of just baiting them with the safe rooms or ammo and running past. I know the hallways are bigger because of the 3rd person camera but it honestly sets the game back because most of the enemies are a non issue.

A/B scenarios: why have them if they're no different. This is a weird one for fans of RE2 Remake to defend, and I've seen them defend it so often, saying the RE story is shit so why try with 2 different campaigns that fit together. There are so many inconsistencies that I cannot hope to fit them all here, it'd be too boring of a read. Please, just stick to Claire or Leon campaigns if the work's not going to be put in, but that would require Capcom to make a full game.

Boss battles were okay, I thought we would see a way longer alligator boss fight considering a remake is the best opportunity to expand on the original. The character models of the bosses looked super great, but after a while the Birkin forms kind of felt the same to fight, like they had the same moves, which I understand but it'd be nice to have some variation between them.

4) CHARACTERS: It's so bent on getting in memorable old side characters like Kendo, Ben, etc. that in hindsight these characters were very unnecessary to the plot and did less than in the original RE2 even. The expectation of many was that they would be expanded on plotwise but honestly they're as much of a non-entity as the truck driver at the beginning AND end of the game. Also what even was that ending cutscene? But I digress, this post is getting too long to nitpick every little cutscene and detail. Honestly out of all the characters I'd say Marvin is the most faithful and his changes are what I'd expect in a RE2 Remake, his interactions with Leon and Claire are great and natural. He is more rough with Leon while being more soft-spoken with Claire, which is a great detail and difference. However, the character interaction of most other characters is nonexistent and questionable at times.

Ada's change is the most pointless to me, as her original "motivation" of finding her boyfriend is as believable as Claire's and every other character in the series that was looking for their brother, sister, spouse, etc. It felt weird to see her pretend to be the FBI and to Leon and other characters, it's way more questionable than a person swept up into the outbreak suddenly, deciding to find her boyfriend. Not a fan myself.

I thought they'd show more with William, and it'd be great to show him in his human state to establish him as a villain, but instead we got emails in the form of files. Which is okay, but we should expect more.

Irons was laughably evil and I felt he was way more menacing with his cold, nonchalant tone in the original RE2. The file with him being called "our father" or something was PURE cringe, plus the one with him jerking it to a dead animal. No subtleties to be had at all.

Sherry meanwhile was rather off and on with her emotions so I don't even know what to feel with her. Sure, her parents never paid attention to her, but she'd still be upset about their deaths and traumatized just from the zombies, so that end cutscene is super unrealistic. Maybe it makes her more likable to an audience for her to be more happy but in reality she's super entitled to be bawling her eyes out and being a brat basically. If anything her strained relationship with her parents should have made her more depressed since she never got to know them as well as she should have.

Other characters were okay at best and had some good moments, like Leon after Kendo and his daughter and Leon confronting Ada once and for all. I grew a bigger appreciation for Claire over all this time so that's something, but the plotline with finding her brother was barely resolved with "he's on vacation I guess good for him". Halfway into the game I forgot why she was even there to begin with lol.

5) ANIMATIONS: Some of the characters straight up animate terribly with an uncanny valley look, like Claire when she turns to Sherry and looks scarier than most of my average experience going to see horror movies. I know real people make weird expressions sometimes, but these just look straight up blurry and unappealing. In a video game where we could animate people super well, why would we willingly choose to make people with weird uncanny expressions? I'm only saying it's intentional btw because others have once used that argument that they're modeled off of real people and real people can make funny faces. Realistically the animators didn't polish it enough and that's that, there's no way it's intentional. Oddly enough in both RE7 and RE2 Remake the facial animation issues are always with the female characters, idk if they're afraid to animate them correctly or make them more appealing or what.

6) SERIES CONNECTIONS: I still remember interviews that the game would connect to other games in the series and I wonder what ever happened to that. The fanservice here is minimal when it should be more connected because we could look into the future now, whereas RE2 original could not. I'm not saying connect to every game in the biggest possible way, but a RE3 or Outbreak easter egg or something alluding to Code Veronica or 4 would be nice. It would make the game more memorable. All we have so far is the Rebecca easter egg, which is just a recycled model, and the note from Chris which is kind of minimal at best and sure, it's code but one file doesn't cut it.

Feel free to challenge me on my opinions, they're kinda crap I know lol. I know it may seem like I hate RE2 Remake's guts but I'm kinda happy that others enjoy it, plus I had some fun on a first playthrough, however it's a little worrying how in popular RE outlets no one ever gives criticism or if they do it gets shot down immediately.

I'll get my other unpopular opinions in a shorter fashion don't worry pff.

Captain Redfield

I've seen a lot of people unhappy with RE2, including myself and a lot of other avid RE fans.
I agree with everything you said, the game surely is highly overrated. It's basically RE7's graphics with Revelations 2 gunplay and Remake's defensive items. Played and beaten the game until I got Platinum and it is the easiest Over The Shoulder game in the series to me.
It isn't nothing special both from a gameplay and story standpoint, it is just a good game to have fun with and nothing more than that.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
My unpopular opinion of the series has always been that the horror elements of the series aren't needed for every title. Despite this being a criteria for many others (If it's not horror/scary it's automatically bad). One of my favorite things about the series is that the universe has so much potential to be whatever it wants.

Whether it's barely surviving in a mansion or punching a boulder, all of the moments of RE being anywhere on the spectrum is what makes the series so enjoyable to me.

Captain Redfield

My unpopular opinion of the series has always been that the horror elements of the series aren't needed for every title. Despite this being a criteria for many others (If it's not horror/scary it's automatically bad). One of my favorite things about the series is that the universe has so much potential to be whatever it wants.

Whether it's barely surviving in a mansion or punching a boulder, all of the moments of RE being anywhere on the spectrum is what makes the series so enjoyable to me.

Touché my friend!
You can present the most uninspiring piece of work but as long as horror is there it already is one of the best games in the series. That's one of the most laughable aspects of the fanbase to me haha

I really belibe that Resident evil 2 Remake would be equaly succesfull if it was made in the same vein that RE remake, the general public loves the idea of a RE2 remake no mather the way is it done. Seeing how Crash Bandicot and Spyro got perfect recreations of their original games with tremendous success are a good example of that.
Seeing people that never got a problem with Claire's attire for 20 years saying NOW that the same attire is pretty unpractical or saying that RE2 was the best thing in the world but at the same time being happy they changed almost everything because it was terribad tells me that people will consume everything no matter what.

"step in the right direction" is the worst phrase that the fandom have.

Tanks controls aren't bad.

Bandage131

Finger Lickerin' Good
I'm going to preface this by saying that I love RE2 Remake and have since I played it.

But...

In hindsight, now six months out, Remake 2 is an extremely average game. It's fun to play, don't get me wrong, but I always feel like I'm playing the exact same way, never really changing things up for the sake of each enemy encounter. Zombies are always kneecap-kneecap-run past, lickers are always slowly walk past, Mr. X is always dash to the nearest safe room and wait for him to leave... Even in RE4, encounters could feel different. I miss that kind of thing.

Although I loved the character moments, the disconnected story was a major downside. No clear scenario path, no connection between scenarios, no connections to prior or later games outside the odd oblique reference in a file. As much as the original RE2 was separated from RE1 by both geography and characters, the mansion incident was integral to those events.

So, in conclusion, Remake 2 was the remake I wanted it to be, but it just wasn't enough.

Captain Redfield

I'm going to preface this by saying that I love RE2 Remake and have since I played it.

But...

In hindsight, now six months out, Remake 2 is an extremely average game. It's fun to play, don't get me wrong, but I always feel like I'm playing the exact same way, never really changing things up for the sake of each enemy encounter. Zombies are always kneecap-kneecap-run past, lickers are always slowly walk past, Mr. X is always dash to the nearest safe room and wait for him to leave... Even in RE4, encounters could feel different. I miss that kind of thing.

Although I loved the character moments, the disconnected story was a major downside. No clear scenario path, no connection between scenarios, no connections to prior or later games outside the odd oblique reference in a file. As much as the original RE2 was separated from RE1 by both geography and characters, the mansion incident was integral to those events.

So, in conclusion, Remake 2 was the remake I wanted it to be, but it just wasn't enough.

Indeed, once you get to know your pattern, it becomes extremely easy and Mr.X is actually pretty fun to have around. The game is really, really easy.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Jake's addition to the franchise was a great idea, it made wesker's past more interesting and likeable. Plus he doesnt look nonsensical and forced.

The new characters in re5, re6 and rerev2 are underrated.

Re5 and re6 have the best stories of the franchise. ( Re6 has a better story than re5 imo. )

From the classic re games, recv's story is the best one.

Simmons and carla are underrated villains.

Chris' campaign in re6 is my most favourite campaign.

Rerev3's story should be highly connected to re6's story similar to how rerev2's story is connected to re5.

Steve isnt annoying.

Simmons' mutations are fun to fight. T-rex mutation is my most favourite simmons mutation.

Memories of a lost city's ending is better than re2 remake's ending due to connecting to re4 and re6 better.

Top Bottom