• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE4 Which Platforms Did You Play RE4 On?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
RE4_Heroes.jpg

Wanted to create this thread after trying re4 again recently.

At which platforms did you play re4? I bought the hd version on steam but ı also recently tried wii and ps2 versions.

I put good amount of hours to it on steam however ı cant open the game these days. I tried to find a solution but nothing worked unfortunately.

On dolphin emulator, wii version didnt play properly however ı played the 1st chapter of ps2 version on pcsx2.

The game felt even more clunky and unnecessarily limited than ever before to the point it really decreased my enjoyment from the game. Not to mention the environments looked very ugly and dull.

It's a shame, ı've got the interest to play the game after the recent anniversary of it but unfortunately ı couldnt enjoy it this time. I remember praising the game a lot but ı dont have the passion to do it these days really.

Switch is my favorite mostly because I can play it anywhere easily. The iphone version didnt really feel like the actual game, the first level is just the village fight with Dr. Salvador, and once thats over the level ends. I dont remember too much of the rest of it because I got bored. I had more fun playing the game version of Degeneration.

Yama

Owner
GameCube the day it came out, I'll never forget this day.
PS2 for the extra content.
Wii for the new intuitive way to play.
iOS for the roffles.
PC (Chinese release) though this version was horrible, I have a review of it somewhere on Biohaze.
X360 for the (at the time) modern play while in parties, achievements, etc.
PS4 for the same reason as 360 at the time.
Steam PC for the 2.2.22 HD mod, can't wait.

If VR worked with the Valve Index I'd play it there too.

Hundreds of hours across Gamecube, PS2, Wii, and PS3/4. 100% all of these versions but I think PS2 is worse now for how they mapped the controls and washed out graphics compared to Gamecube and Wii. The sound quality was also much worse on PS2. The “HD” official release for newer systems is a joke graphics wise and didn’t do the game justice.

The Separate Ways cutscenes in particular were super blurry and looked like they were recaptured using a potato for the official “HD” releases. Not to mention this is the only mainline RE that still has no platinum trophy yet, it’s ridiculous!

The Oculus VR looks very cool but I doubt I’ll ever shell out the money to try it since I easily get motion sick. Hope the launch of the fan HD release goes smoothy, I’ll most likely use that version for future marathon runs.

That phone game looked like a sick joke like RE2 Gamecom, should of never been made.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I guess that's why ı didnt enjoy the game's ps2 version that much playing on pcsx2, it feels annoyingly dated to the point it's hard to enjoy the game. I dont like gamecube release either since that doesnt have separate ways apparently.

I agree that hd release could have been so much better. I dislike how separate ways cutscenes are low quality too.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Also ı forgot to say this but the other versions that ı tried didnt have easy difficulty unlike hd pc release.

The GameCube, which was hard for me to get and I had to go to several Best Buy stores, rushing their near closing hours only to find the last one.

The PS2 for the bonus content and the infinite Chicago Typewriter
The PS3 for the new HD graphics which was new to me back then
The PS4 which I have downloaded, but didn't go past the chainsaw guy, because I hated the changed game controls which I never got adjusted to.
Dolphin which I used to get images and videos to help out building my now-frozen website. Good goin' Webs.com!

I think they released this game too many times and there's another one coming in February.

I think the GameCube release is the best one. But the PS2 version, and upwards, all have the complete game. But some of these ports I feel, just lacked care.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I actually played some of re4 on pcsx2 these days. I find the core gameplay still somewhat irritating not to mention trying to aim is somewhat difficult and trying to perform melee attacks feel awkward as well. I'm planning to finish though and ı might also try separate ways. The experience overall doesnt feel that polished.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Now that ı played the game on more platforms, ı can give more thoughts about the game:

Gamecube version ı feel is the best way to play the game and ı played it on dolphin emulator. It's the only version where ı like the controls as well as the only re game where ı actually like tank controls.

Ps2 version felt like a downgrade compared to gamecube and ı dont like the controls as much. But it introduced separate ways and ı think it's the best platform to play ada's new scenario.

I still need to play more of wii but setting that on dolphin emulator was complicated due to not recognizing controller fast but ı dont like the crosshair and the only way to remove that is to set up a controller. Not much new to say compared to gamecube version but apparently it's the 1st version that gives ada a knife in assignment ada as well as mercenaries.

Ps3 version felt like an improvement compared to ps2 and it's the version where ı like the aiming controls with a controller the most.

Ps4 version was a massive downgrade and ı personally see it as the least favorable way to play the game, particularly the controls which are even worse than they were before.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
RE4 PS4 Inventory Glitch.jpg

Ok so this is a random question but does anyone else have this issue while playing re4 on ps4? When switching to other menus like treasure, the inventory glitches like this. This is one of the many reasons why ı cant stand to ps4 version of the game, the previous versions dont have this problem from my experience. Idk if there's even a way to solve this glitch at least cause it distracts from doing things like treasure combining or file checking.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah. The PS2 version is too dark. But the controls suck in the HD releases, for they ruined them.
Between re4 and re:4 on ps4, which one do you prefer? Personally playing re4 on ps4 made me more negative about the game again to the point ı also cant find myself returning to re:4 as much as ı want to cause there are already other games that ı prefer keep playing to enjoy. I still need to play wii version with a controller on dolphin emulator so that ı would gain a more developed opinion about that game's version but at the same time, ı also uploaded footage from re4 on steam with hd project mod before so ı'm also stuck between that to decide which one ı need to upload 1st. I doubt ı will return to ps4 version again, after some time, ı managed to finish it as well as record more footage and overall it wasnt very enjoyable for the most part. I think that's one of the reasons why re engine games arent very enjoyable either since the problem ı have with re4's ps4 version carries on to those games.

I prefer the original release, but the remake is very well done.

I really feel as if the other remakes were somewhat mistreated in comparison. Maybe not so much RE2. But RE3 was a joke.

Top Bottom