• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 Trailer #3

Yama

Owner
I'm going to be sitting this one out, we're so close! But for anyone not worried about spoiling, here you go. :)

Strangely enough, the tone of this trailer was almost lighthearted and goofy - even more than the original, and I still loved it. This felt more like the essence of Resident Evil 4 original than anything we've seen up until this point. Even though there were a couple of terrifying encounters shown in this new trailer, I really thought the tone was going to be serious all the way through this remake.

I didn't think they'd make some of those returning sections "work", but I'm happy to be potentially proven wrong.

For those that aren't going to watch this trailer until release, know that this was most certainly the greatest one. Luis playing an obviously bigger role makes up for his shitty, untimely death in the original. That was definitely an area the remake will improve on - characterization and plot development.

P.S. - The Krauser knife fight might be the most visually impressive scene we've seen in the RE Engine thus far.

Last edited:
Goofy? Indeed it was.

Looks like there's some new cultist enemies, and one thrill ride in the mines. 🛤️
Yes, but it seems to work in the same places it did in the original as it is presented here. Saddler in particular, seems to have a more larger-than-life and eccentric presence, like an old-school 80's movie villain.

The cultists look genuinely creepier and less goofy than in the original. Honestly, all of the enemies do. Everything new we've seen with the Las Plagas variants have been terrifying. That's why I think this dichotomy with the jokiness works, as it did sometimes in the original. It could feel as being even more natural here in this remake.

The mines look over-the-top but way more presentable to me than it did before. As of right now, I'm actually all for it.

But... I can't imagine how they'd change Salazar's mech and the lava room if they did. Hopefully, for the better. Those two rooms were my biggest eye-rolls in the original. The castle section all around I'm hoping to be improved. From the looks of it, it has, much like everything else.

Looks fantastic so far. I agree.

Some people don't like the controls being easier. Seen complaints saying it removes the tension if you no longer have to shoot where you stand. But do they really expect Capcom to have those 2005 mechanics in a 2023 game?

I think it would feel silly if you couldn't move and shoot with how other shooting games are up to date.

Looks fantastic so far. I agree.

Some people don't like the controls being easier. Seen complaints saying it removes the tension if you no longer have to shoot where you stand. But do they really expect Capcom to have those 2005 mechanics in a 2023 game?

I think it would feel silly if you couldn't move and shoot with how other shooting games are up to date.
Sounds more like masochism for masochism's sake to me.

The controls are clearly more intuitive and does not detract from the survival horror elements. RE2 remake's certainly didn't.

Those peoples' opinion I would definitely throw into the trash for this one. The enemies are looking like they have their own new tricks to justify that change as well. I'm personally not a fan of artificial difficulty.

If Leon couldn't switch his weapons without going into the menu, it would be ass. That's my biggest current complaint for the original, right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, some people just moan for the sake of it. It's not 2002 anymore. They cannot go back to tank controls, fixed camera angles, and whatnot. I accepted that it's going to remain in the past. Those people need to just accept that this is not how the gaming world operates today.

I certainly agree that the era before 2005 was the best era for horror games, without a doubt. But I tried to revisit some PS2 games. While they are good enough to merit being fondly spoken of, they are actually pretty dated, and trends have changed.

Yeah, some people just moan for the sake of it. It's not 2002 anymore. They cannot go back to tank controls, fixed camera angles, and whatnot. I accepted that it's going to remain in the past. Those people need to just accept that this is not how the gaming world operates today.

I certainly agree that the era before 2005 was the best era for horror games, without a doubt. But I tried to revisit some PS2 games. While they are good enough to merit being fondly spoken of, they are actually pretty dated, and trends have changed.
Yes. I do believe though that many of those complaints from those same people are confusing the concept of limited actions with limited controls. Having your character confined to limited movements that are realistic to the gameplay is a good thing, but not being able to strafe and shoot or take out another weapon in real-time is much too outdated like you're saying. Allowing us to do those things shouldn't fundamentally change the game or challenge too much. I think it actually limits what can be done in game design to a detriment after some time.

I was just playing Zero recently, and all of its bosses are horrendously cumbersome to fight all due to the controls and angles. It's not like Leon is jumping ten feet in the air or using an unlimited amount of inventory in these remakes. The controls I'd say are even more grounded now due to the fact we can at least MOVE and AIM a little more.

I think we've hit a good compromise with the RE Engine, especially coming off of the fully action-era of RE. I'm enjoying this baseline we've accomplished.

Last edited:

Extremely relevant.

Top Bottom