• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE8 The Soldat

Was it ever explained how they worked? I’m so confused. They’re made by replacing the heart with cadou, but they have normal human hearts with gears in them.
Also is the cadou reactor a cadou powered arc reactor or is it a reactor that simply integrates with the cadou? Are the reactors just miniaturized power sources and if so why not just make a more effective armor that exhausts at a angle that can’t be shot at?

You could try checking the Resident Evil wiki.

Was it ever explained how they worked?

Yeah, the game's art director, Tomonori Takano, commented that the reactors work like internal combustion engines:

Soldat Eins.png

In other words, these are heat engines that combust fuel, thereby converting its chemical energy into mechanical energy.

The idea of such reactors came to Heisenberg when the monster, which was created by Miranda's Cadou parasite, did not have enough output to use industrial drills implanted in place of the removed hands:

"Removed lower arms and implanted industrial drills.
Not operational due to insufficient output."

"Implanted a 'Cadou Control Reactor' inside the chest.
Succeeded in greatly increasing its output."

In other words, these reactors do not exist in order to combust the Cadou parasites, but in order to control their output. These altered nematodes adhere to the nervous system, so they become one with the hosts.

There is no reason to put them directly into the combustion chambers themselves, because these are not fuels, but energy sources that need to be stimulated. You barely want to combust an organ that basically even circulates your blood.

And as for the X-ray image of the parasite inside the combustion chamber, I think this soldier was just a prototype, since before the first successful operation, Heisenberg replaced the hearts of corpses with parasites:

"Removed the heart and implanted a 'Cadou.'"

Speaking of which, Heisenberg's first successful operation was the 18th, and he had to try different things, including creating optimal artificial blood so that the parasite could adhere to the nervous system. I don't think any parasite would be able to do this if it was locked in a combustion chamber.

Are the reactors just miniaturized power sources and if so why not just make a more effective armor that exhausts at a angle that can’t be shot at?

This is something that Heisenberg did eventually, but in his defense we can appeal to the simple fact that soldiers were designed as enemies of Lycans, not people with firearms.

I hope my answer will help you.

A combustion engine raises so many questions. So the cadou are generating heat or some sort of oil like byproduct that the engine is using as fuel? Honestly I assumed that the most likely answer being the heart cadou mutating into a electric organ due to absorbing the pacemaker and this creating a electric charge, but what the art director is describing is something more primative. Do cadou sweat gas?

So the cadou are generating heat or some sort of oil like byproduct that the engine is using as fuel?

Yep, the Cadou parasite is a biological vector of mold.

Check out this:

Mechanical Heart 1.png

Mechanical Heart 2.png

The flesh of these hearts is definitely not mold, as it has not calcified, but it has been surrounded by mold, so we can see the grains of crystals.

Obviously, the hearts are mechanical and heat-resistant enough not to become combustion products in the combustion chambers.

Like real artificial hearts, they could maintain hemodynamic parameters in the bodies, but since the parasites are still there, and they are still vectors, they produce mold to assimilate these hearts. Reaching the combustion chambers, mold tissues become fuel.

Yep, the Cadou parasite is a biological vector of mold.
Check out this:

View attachment 1723

View attachment 1724

The flesh of these hearts is definitely not mold, as it has not calcified, but it has been surrounded by mold, so we can see the grains of crystals.

Obviously, the hearts are mechanical and heat-resistant enough not to become combustion products in the combustion chambers.

Like real artificial hearts, they could maintain hemodynamic parameters in the bodies, but since the parasites are still there, and they are still vectors, they produce mold to assimilate these hearts. Reaching the combustion chambers, mold tissues become fuel.
The mold can’t infect the body because the mold is being used as fuel… he just moved on from the heart cadou but instead may have found a number of technology work arounds, probably removing Miranda’s ability to control them directly.

The mold can’t infect the body because the mold is being used as fuel…

Oh, about that: shortly before the explosions, we can notice how the soldiers' tissues form salt deposits, so I'm sure that at least most of their body was assimilated by fungi.

probably removing Miranda’s ability to control them directly

I kind of doubt Miranda can control the parasites to begin with, to be honest.

So do you think the purpose of the machinery on the heart is to filter out the energy rich mold from the bloodstream? Inefficiency could be what causes pallid skin of the Soldat. Maybe they’re anemic.

Many maids who fell out of favor were deprived of a large amount of blood and locked up in dungeons:

"Her blood will be drained and she'll be turned into a horrifying ghost."

We also have a note in which it is clear that not all of these maidens have become Moroaice:

So we can say that blood is very important for compatibility with the Cadou parasite, since this life form is able to replace the heart and circulate blood, respectively. That's why even Heisenberg needed to create artificial blood to revive that guy, Oskar.

Meanwhile, if we look at Moroaice again, their wounds do not heal, and deeper wounds have fibrinous deposits, that is, the accumulation of dead cells. Not to mention that their body weight is very low, so their metabolism should be slowed down.

Although they bleed and their blood circulates, it is obvious that anemia and low body weight have had a noticeable effect.

Returning to Heisenberg, we meet male versions of such enemies in his factory. As we learn later, Heisenberg replaced their hearts with parasites, which leads to the idea of the parasite's ability to circulate blood.

And I think that's still happening with improved soldiers. Mold was spread through the blood vessels of this circulating vector. And the parasite is part of the reactor in the chest, but it is not located in the combustion chamber. Perhaps Heisenberg even provided special channels for the mycelia to get into the combustion chamber.

And the technology does not filter the fungus, but combust it like gasoline or oil. Like biofuels.

This is because fungi are also sources of hydrocarbons. And Miranda even uses this as an advantage in the final battle, raising clots of mold with superheated gas, which oxidizes and ignites after contact with oxygen. A similar idea was in CODE: Veronica. I do not know if you have played this title, but in the story Alexia Ashford's blood was a chemical solution that ignited due to contact with oxygen.

Last edited:
And the technology does not filter the fungus, but combust it like gasoline or oil. Like biofuels.

This is because fungi are also sources of hydrocarbons. And Miranda even uses this as an advantage in the final battle, raising clots of mold with superheated gas, which oxidizes and ignites after contact with oxygen. A similar idea was in CODE: Veronica. I do not know if you have played this title, but in the story Alexia Ashford's blood was a chemical solution that ignited due to contact with oxygen.
that's what i meant to imply. i think the cadou must mutate into a replacement heart, perhaps it's ability to do so is related to the fetal formation at the center of the megamycete's "face". if the heart is 100% cadou the machinery is likely diverting the blood to separate the combustible hydrocarbons from the blood which isn't. this is because while the soldat can likely survive without much blood the blood would only get in the way and as you said, low amounts of blood seem to have deleterious effects on cadou hosts.

I took a couple of screenshots to keep them here.

Artificial blood:

20220524224423_1.jpg

Mechanical heart:

Mold Heart.jpg

Interestingly, the texture is obviously different from that of the heart, which we will eventually pick up. And it really looks like mold.

So I asked one fan to find this texture. When and if he finds it, I will post the texture here so that it would be possible to accurately identify the presence or absence of visualization of the fungus.

the megamycete's "face"

Speaking of which, I also think Eveline herself shared a similar shape:

Eveline.png

You can see that the filamentous clots, which resemble the organs of the fungal root, grow from the same side. Since Eveline and the Cadou parasite were grown with the genomes of the same species, this is not surprising.

It seems that this is a kind of "fruit body" of mold, which is formed by the accumulation of countless fungi.

All nutrients and coloring substances are delivered to this "center" through the haustorium-like organs, so the colony has such a color gradient. And this is usually how mushrooms get their colors, including those colors that allow them to mimic.

Mushroom-life-cycle_large.jpg

if the heart is 100% cadou the machinery is likely diverting the blood to separate the combustible hydrocarbons from the blood which isn't. this is because while the soldat can likely survive without much blood the blood would only get in the way and as you said, low amounts of blood seem to have deleterious effects on cadou hosts.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I remembered that there is a free camera, so I downloaded it and checked everything myself.

Unfortunately, there is neither a parasite asset nor a heart asset inside:

Cadou Reactor (1).jpg

Oddly enough, what we see from the outside consists of two layers:

Cadou Reactor (2).jpg

Cadou Reactor (3).jpg

Cadou Reactor (4).jpg

And interestingly, if the first layer ignites, the second is still the same:

Cadou Reactor (6).jpg

Cadou Reactor (7).jpg

The texture itself is similar to that seen on the soldier's tissues:

Cadou Reactor (5).jpg

It really resembles mold, and in the screenshots above we see veins.

So everything I wrote above, I think, remains valid. Especially when we see crystals on the flesh of the heart:

Heart (1).jpg

Heart (2).jpg

So we nailed it, Gwyllgi.

I’m beginning to hope that Soldats get their own dlc, maybe even having a what-if one where Heisenberg gets a hold of white mold.

Top Bottom