• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Resident Evil producer of 27 years, ready to move on...

27 years is no joke, but wanting to help out mobile games instead of console ones is very off putting to me. It seems the long runners of this franchise are starting to get tired of it and I really don't blame them. Hope he can bring some dignity to how mobile games are designed so they are less predatory (laughs).

sad to be gone, he was part of the most fun experiences in the franchise, the cgi movies, and the action games, he added his spice to Milla movies too, so idk what is going to be in the future without his knowledge.

He wrote Degeneration and Infinite Darkness and produced Damnation and Vendetta, idk what is gonna happen next with the cgi movie universe.

I don't like the sadomasochistic direction from 7 and 8, it's off-putting for me. and the 2 RE remakes are mediocre.

Yeah. The remakes are terrible. But I think the second one is somewhat decent, if you look past the changes. 3 on the other hand, can burn.

If anybody wanted to play the RE2 reimagining to have a modern take on the original RE2, then nope. The remake lacks that feeling. But in general, it's not bad as a horror game if not looked upon as a remake. Although they really shouldn't have made the second scenario so identical to the first one, as that was so stupid.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I'm deeply saddened too. I've seen people hating him for some reason. They seem to dislike cgi movies and re6. Re4 seems to given more of a pass and ı've seen none criticising remake. Kobayashi also worked on those 2 as a producer.

Personally ı'm more fan of suga's writing but if kenichi iwao stayed with capcom and sugimura didnt tragically pass away, they might have helped him and his expansions from past. Due to 2 important writers' tragic demises; ı find it hard to be invested in the storyline.

I just dont care much for mikami's writing at all. I think it makes re4 an " unique " but at the same time quite barebones entry despite feeling fresh and new. And 2002 game wasnt even a serious release anyway. Hd remaster doesnt even do it proper justice. I played wii version on dolphin emulator and ı think enjoyed that more than hd remaster one. All that " beautiful graphics at the cost of the entries' heart and value " aspect makes things less interesting to me personally.

But anyway ı wouldnt criticise kobayashi just cause he likes leon. I would criticise directors and writers. Vendetta and infinite darkness didnt have any returning directors or writers. I remember looking up and finding that dai sato seems to return for infinite darkness. Personally ı dont find his writing, at least for rerev, as interesting as suga's scripts.

Judging by suga's writing, he seems to expand from sugimura's potential while concluding his scripts in a more similar fashion to iwao's 1996 script. I agree with his writing a lot. If you want to make use of " self-contained " premise; it makes much more sense to develop the story scripts in a more concluded sense ı would say. I would have also preferred if vendetta and infinite darkness were also concluded much more properly but ı know that los iluminados will come out of nowhere again.

This is also probably an extremely ridiculous thing to say but ı think wesker in re5 is a clone. Basically after 2003 / 4; wesker just in case made a clone of his who went to spencer estate. He acts out of character in re5 despite going from eugenics perspective. Previously he was staying in shadows while acting manipulative but in re5; he goes and takes charge for his plan. As if he's the next spencer, tyrant or something.

He looks way too old to the point of sergei levels despite being superhuman, wears bulletproof clothing despite being superhuman and goes way too insane. Even x scenes of recv which can easily be dismissed dont show him this way.

It's possible that wesker might have cloned himself. Sergei had clones which were used for t-002's development, alfred and alexia were veronica clones which wesker would have learned that info and most importantly at umbrella corps; " wesker " dont confirm his involvement during re5 portion while during re4 portion, his presence is confirmed.

While the one in re5 was going mad; the actual one was behind blue umbrella while also manipulating bsaa. Haruo murata wrote outbreak games, separate ways portion of re4, umbrella chronicles before re5. It's possible that he could have wrote wesker in a way to trick everyone into thinking that he would be concluded even though it doesnt feel like a conclusion. Wesker is pretty much invincible anyway.

I find it questionable that re5 ignores umbrella mikami invented out of nowhere in re4, something haruo murata expanded with separate ways and umbrella chronicles before working on re5 as a writer. Did he want to do a trickery? I can understand shotaro suga ignoring it since he wanted to expand sugimura's plot points and make much more developed entries using his ideas.

They return to this umbrella starting with umbrella corps as well as re engine. But due to how much disliked umbrella corps is; capcom mutes its context so that it wont be easily noticed.

Personally ı dont like mikami and him inventing that umbrella in re4 without iwao who left the company before his credit was taken is extremely unfair. Since wesker is a returning antagonist ı think iwao staying would have made him much more developed. I think re1 wesker had potential due to pablo kuntz showcasing him as a nice person who's pretending that way to trick others but his overusage starting with recv's x scenes makes him less interesting to me.

" Wesker was using the giant organization Umbrella and had his own separate ambition to create a second humanity of his own design. For that reason he believed that the Tyrant, which produces the Tyrant Virus, would also be useful as a resource to threaten Umbrella. Umbrella's aim was to sell the Tyrant to every country as a weapon and take advantage of every nation's weakness and substantially control them, but as they advanced that plan, Wesker aimed for another objective... To filter humanity using the Tyrant... he was scheming mass extinction and forced evolution. Ultimately the Tyrant was going to gain the ability to manipulate the virus and design living things. It was a “Creator.” "

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
When it comes to entries produced by kobayashi; ı find re6 and damnation peak entries as far as story and character development goes. They have both director and writer returning from past along with kobayashi returning for them as a producer and they improve from past entries well imo. I find past entries produced by mikami more lacking if anything; raccoon should have been concluded in one game similar to outbreak games rather than creating 2 numbered entries that are set there which doesnt expand the city enough and that would increase jill's chances of appearing in recv before re6. Jill's appearance in re3 feels forced along with her infection. I would have preferred if carlos got infected and sacrificed his life to save jill along with her escaping with barry without any choice mechanic.

I still wonder what will happen to cgi movies without kobayashi. Does this mean leon will stop appear? I didnt mind him leading cgi movies since ı think it was suga who made him a " main character " starting in degeneration. His character arc in re4 felt like side-tracking due to ashley and los iluminados. Suga expanded from his past while developing him very well during his progression after re2. Vendetta and infinite darkness however felt more like re4 imitations with the way leon was utilized during their stories.

I also wonder if jill will ever return but ı felt that her infection in re3 was forced. Her getting infected in raccoon without chris being there quite bothers me. Sometimes ı wished she wasnt in re5 but rather in re6 instead. She already appeared at a numbered entry after re1 so her making an appearance at another numbered entry where she doesnt get enough screentime along with her not being playable during the story portion but barebones dlcs doesnt do her justice.

Chris: Re1, recv, remake, umbrella chronicles, prelude to the fall, re5

Jill: Re1, re3, remake, umbrella chronicles, prelude to the fall, re5

I decided to include both chris and jill's apperances up to re5. Jill was the one who made her 1st appearance at a numbered entry without chris while chris made his 1st appearance at a spinoff without jill where he was serving claire's story. I find the way chris was utilized in re5 a bit repetitive due to this since he was serving jill's story this time. Claire already got herself captured in recv so forcing jill to do this feels like an unnecessary rehash of recv along with this being inspired by re3,5 builds too. I would have preferred if she was taken in protective custody due to her past infection similar to sherry and re5 would have been centered much more around chris and wesker without anyone else from re1 returning as a better way to follow from recv. I wouldnt remove coop but chris at some point would partner with random bsaa agents more than sheva and wesker would have been defeated. After this; jill would appear at re6 along with chris and the story would happen so that they would pass the torch to piers and merah who would survive. The way wesker is handled starting with recv's x scenes downplays valenfield's relationship imo. I still like chris' story arc in re6 the most compared to his past character arcs but if past events are changed; then ı think jill could have gotten a much better conclusion.

I still find chris' appearances in re7 and revillage overused despite him not getting enough screentime to the point it's my personal theory that the operatives who appear at those are clones created by wesker using his umbrella technology.

When it comes to entries produced by kobayashi; ı find re6 and damnation peak entries as far as story and character development goes. They have both director and writer returning from past along with kobayashi returning for them as a producer and they improve from past entries well imo. I find past entries produced by mikami more lacking if anything; raccoon should have been concluded in one game similar to outbreak games rather than creating 2 numbered entries that are set there which doesnt expand the city enough and that would increase jill's chances of appearing in recv before re6. Jill's appearance in re3 feels forced along with her infection. I would have preferred if carlos got infected and sacrificed his life to save jill along with her escaping with barry without any choice mechanic.

I still wonder what will happen to cgi movies without kobayashi. Does this mean leon will stop appear? I didnt mind him leading cgi movies since ı think it was suga who made him a " main character " starting in degeneration. His character arc in re4 felt like side-tracking due to ashley and los iluminados. Suga expanded from his past while developing him very well during his progression after re2. Vendetta and infinite darkness however felt more like re4 imitations with the way leon was utilized during their stories.

I also wonder if jill will ever return but ı felt that her infection in re3 was forced. Her getting infected in raccoon without chris being there quite bothers me. Sometimes ı wished she wasnt in re5 but rather in re6 instead. She already appeared at a numbered entry after re1 so her making an appearance at another numbered entry where she doesnt get enough screentime along with her not being playable during the story portion but barebones dlcs doesnt do her justice.

Chris: Re1, recv, remake, umbrella chronicles, prelude to the fall, re5

Jill: Re1, re3, remake, umbrella chronicles, prelude to the fall, re5

I decided to include both chris and jill's apperances up to re5. Jill was the one who made her 1st appearance at a numbered entry without chris while chris made his 1st appearance at a spinoff without jill where he was serving claire's story. I find the way chris was utilized in re5 a bit repetitive due to this since he was serving jill's story this time. Claire already got herself captured in recv so forcing jill to do this feels like an unnecessary rehash of recv along with this being inspired by re3,5 builds too. I would have preferred if she was taken in protective custody due to her past infection similar to sherry and re5 would have been centered much more around chris and wesker without anyone else from re1 returning as a better way to follow from recv. I wouldnt remove coop but chris at some point would partner with random bsaa agents more than sheva and wesker would have been defeated. After this; jill would appear at re6 along with chris and the story would happen so that they would pass the torch to piers and merah who would survive. The way wesker is handled starting with recv's x scenes downplays valenfield's relationship imo. I still like chris' story arc in re6 the most compared to his past character arcs but if past events are changed; then ı think jill could have gotten a much better conclusion.

I still find chris' appearances in re7 and revillage overused despite him not getting enough screentime to the point it's my personal theory that the operatives who appear at those are clones created by wesker using his umbrella technology.
I agree they are the best and my favorite content, the ONLY thing that I didn't like about Damnation was the ending because it defeats any logic of zombies turning back to humans and it raises a lot of questions as if someone that already eaten other humans, how would they live knowing they did that, or the humans Chris and Leon kill at the corridor turning back to human then, they make Chris and Leon the bad guys... They should have done it like Milla Jovovich movies when the cure just erases any life in the zombies.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I agree they are the best and my favorite content, the ONLY thing that I didn't like about Damnation was the ending because it defeats any logic of zombies turning back to humans and it raises a lot of questions as if someone that already eaten other humans, how would they live knowing they did that, or the humans Chris and Leon kill at the corridor turning back to human then, they make Chris and Leon the bad guys... They should have done it like Milla Jovovich movies when the cure just erases any life in the zombies.
That happens in vendetta. Damnation doesnt feature zombies, plaga infected victims in the movie are called " ganados " as a reference to re4 but they still behave like zombies except more threatening compared to the common enemies featured in both re4 and re5.

I really like leon's speech he makes to buddy at the end of damnation. He was going to kill himself due to the parasite consuming his body but leon took his handgun to destroy that which saved his life despite paralyzing him for the remainder of his life. If leon didnt force himself to take part during the incident; then buddy might have been killed.

As for vendetta; storywise ı find it the worst from all cgi movies just for the whole idea of los iluminados coming back. I dont like umbrella being back in re4 due to mikami bringing that out of nowhere so los iluminados coming back out of nowhere feels like a reference to that.

I also looked up to re wiki and kobayashi seems to be credited as supervisor. They list takashi shimizu as producer. He seems to later produce infinite darkness but there seems to be more producers involved. Degeneration and damnation didnt have more producers so ı prefer those over the latter 2 ones which feel more over the place. Though from a writing standpoint; ı still find infinite darkness a bit more tolerable than vendetta due to dai sato from rerev games returning to work on it but it still feels quite underwhelming just like rerev.

I dont agree with the criticisms kobayashi gets. I think he was the one who saved the series with re4 by working on the game as a producer. He seems to do more work than mikami who simply wrote a barebones story script after sugimura was ditched. He also worked on remake previously with the same role which ı think is the reason why the game feels quite faithful to re1 but mikami's writing drags it down for me. All the story value it has is lisa trevor imo.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I also wished kobayashi stayed with capcom and continued to produce more games. The last game he produced was re6 but after that; he didnt produce any more entry as playable. He's the reason the final build of re4 saved the series rather than people giving the praise to mikami who simply wrote a barebones script about a generic cult. Personally ı think remake and re4 are flawed masterpieces while ı would consider re6 as a perfect masterpiece. And my favourite cgi film is damnation still.

I still wished suga was alive along with him teaming up with sasaki to work on another ambitious entry together as well as kobayashi producing it. Honestly ı just think the greater heights are way behind the past ever since 2012 and ı still go back to the entries ı enjoy to replay them but ı cant stand to umbrella corps and re engine simulation aspect at all. I only grow an emotional bond to re engine 2 due to the game being gifted to me and that's claire's 1st run only. I cant stand to other runs at all.

Top Bottom