• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Resident Evil Mythology

Hi all.

Just a heads up that I've updated 'The Resident Evil Mythology' - a timeline that originally debuted on this site way back in 2006.

This latest version incorpates the remakes in what is really a variant version of the original timeline.

A second version where all remake material is removed and the OG games are back in focus will follow later this year.

It's not about saying one is more canon over the other, though my own personal preference is for the OGs, it's simply about presenting all the information without sandwiching them together because it just doesn't fit.

Remake Mythology

Hello batman, mert here. I took a look at your guide. I read the intro as well as re6 part from 2012-2013 while also skimming through re:2-3-4 parts and ı enjoyed it. Well done.

I dont have much else to say cause ı'm not interested in the future storyline of the series due to losing interest after revillage was released. However if you dont mind, ı still want to ask some questions:

1. https://www.youtube.com/@idi-jq6cj

The 1st is this channel. I was checking their videos, mostly about re:4 where the game is titled as " resident evil 4 remilk " . I mention this cause they mention the site of yours, is it correct? Personally ı enjoy their videos but you might feel different so ı wanted to ask.

2. What do you think about re:4 storywise? There are some who seems to think the game " fixed " og game's story points while there are others who dismiss the game's existence in favor of og game. I think ı'm somewhere in the middle but ı still see myself indifferent about the game's story. There are still elements ı dislike just like in re:2-3, krauser being the biggest example like how your analysis also states, but ı can still see myself enjoying it mostly due to ada where ı decided to buy the game cause of her as well as her playable scenario, twice in fact not only on steam but also on ps4. Right now it's the only game released after re6 ı bought on ps4, not including rerev2.

3. Do you think they'll do more remakes and would you like or mind to see any? Even though ı dont want it, ı wouldnt mind re:5 to come out if it would be announced. I dont think ı would be able to buy it on steam cause the price tags turned to dollar in my region where the inflation is very high however ı might be able to buy it on ps4 store if it would be even announced. However ı dont want cv:re or re:6 at all nor ı tolerate those who want them. They skipped recv in favor of re:4 which comes off more like the game they wanted to release ever since 2016 and even before re:3's announcement in the past, ı still didnt want it cause survivor was the next story point before recv, doing cv:re after re:3 would still mean skipping an entry storywise. As for re:6, the whole idea of that just comes off like wanting to pander to those IGNorant anti-re6 bastards who cant think of anything else other than disliking og game over and over. They didnt even do cv:re which introduced t-veronica so that this would carry into re6 where the virus is combined with g and in re:2, sherry doesnt even carry the virus at the end anyway, like annette says, she's completely free from the virus, how would simmons be able to obtain the virus if she's freed from it unlike re2 and darkside chronicles where she wasnt free from the virus' influence? They dont even include epilogue files from re3 in re:3, the only relevant story points of re3 as far as ı'm concerned, how did leon even become a government agent without them? Re:4 doesnt delve into this either, it comes up to a point where krauser refers to him as a rookie as if he's still a cop even though in og game, he became a government agent which culminated in re6 and cgi films. They still delve into re6 story points in the guidebooks where they explain that benford founded usstratcom even before he founded dso with leon but by the time of re:4, ı cant see myself caring about leon anymore.

4. Regardless of your desire about more remakes, including re:5, what would it take for you to be interested in that game if it would exist?

1. Add barry and rebecca to main story.
2. Jill doesnt get captured by wesker and is partnered with barry.
3. A longer re5 lin.
4. Chris is partnered with rebecca while sheva is partnered with josh.
5. More uroboros monsters along with a more lethal version.

These are ideas ı used to have. If they can do these, ı guess ı can be more interested at the game's existence. Rather than cv:re, ı think they can also include claire into re:5 so that both siblings would reunite. I also wouldnt mind if they would do the 1st game again so that all surviving stars cast would reunite on screen as well as connected scenarios and a more extended ending with all characters shown. But you might feel different so ı want to ask.

5. Are there characters that you want to see come back? Ada like ı stated previously where ı want to see her come back after re6. I think she should appear in a story without leon. It can be anything as long as she would get a story that doesnt have leon in it, it doesnt matter to me if they would reveal her backstory or not but ı still want to see her come back cause ı enjoy playing as her in re:4, ı think she deserves more cause she has more to offer than leon does who still got plenty stories without ada in it. They even planned ada to appear in revillage but she was cut. This is just yet another reason why ı didnt bother with the game cause ı didnt find anything in it that ı would enjoy. I'm glad ı skipped it in favor of re:4 that ı came to enjoy cause of ada being playable where ı found her scenario in the game good.

These are all of my questions.

Thanks for putting this together.

Capcom certainly doesn't make your job easy with all of this retconning and whatnot. Even they seem to no longer understand their own franchise, with each new game feeling like a huge experiment. Ironic, really, since RE is all about that type of stuff.

Hello batman, mert here. I took a look at your guide. I read the intro as well as re6 part from 2012-2013 while also skimming through re:2-3-4 parts and ı enjoyed it. Well done.

I dont have much else to say cause ı'm not interested in the future storyline of the series due to losing interest after revillage was released. However if you dont mind, ı still want to ask some questions:

1. https://www.youtube.com/@idi-jq6cj

The 1st is this channel. I was checking their videos, mostly about re:4 where the game is titled as " resident evil 4 remilk " . I mention this cause they mention the site of yours, is it correct? Personally ı enjoy their videos but you might feel different so ı wanted to ask.

2. What do you think about re:4 storywise? There are some who seems to think the game " fixed " og game's story points while there are others who dismiss the game's existence in favor of og game. I think ı'm somewhere in the middle but ı still see myself indifferent about the game's story. There are still elements ı dislike just like in re:2-3, krauser being the biggest example like how your analysis also states, but ı can still see myself enjoying it mostly due to ada where ı decided to buy the game cause of her as well as her playable scenario, twice in fact not only on steam but also on ps4. Right now it's the only game released after re6 ı bought on ps4, not including rerev2.

3. Do you think they'll do more remakes and would you like or mind to see any? Even though ı dont want it, ı wouldnt mind re:5 to come out if it would be announced. I dont think ı would be able to buy it on steam cause the price tags turned to dollar in my region where the inflation is very high however ı might be able to buy it on ps4 store if it would be even announced. However ı dont want cv:re or re:6 at all nor ı tolerate those who want them. They skipped recv in favor of re:4 which comes off more like the game they wanted to release ever since 2016 and even before re:3's announcement in the past, ı still didnt want it cause survivor was the next story point before recv, doing cv:re after re:3 would still mean skipping an entry storywise. As for re:6, the whole idea of that just comes off like wanting to pander to those IGNorant anti-re6 bastards who cant think of anything else other than disliking og game over and over. They didnt even do cv:re which introduced t-veronica so that this would carry into re6 where the virus is combined with g and in re:2, sherry doesnt even carry the virus at the end anyway, like annette says, she's completely free from the virus, how would simmons be able to obtain the virus if she's freed from it unlike re2 and darkside chronicles where she wasnt free from the virus' influence? They dont even include epilogue files from re3 in re:3, the only relevant story points of re3 as far as ı'm concerned, how did leon even become a government agent without them? Re:4 doesnt delve into this either, it comes up to a point where krauser refers to him as a rookie as if he's still a cop even though in og game, he became a government agent which culminated in re6 and cgi films. They still delve into re6 story points in the guidebooks where they explain that benford founded usstratcom even before he founded dso with leon but by the time of re:4, ı cant see myself caring about leon anymore.

4. Regardless of your desire about more remakes, including re:5, what would it take for you to be interested in that game if it would exist?

1. Add barry and rebecca to main story.
2. Jill doesnt get captured by wesker and is partnered with barry.
3. A longer re5 lin.
4. Chris is partnered with rebecca while sheva is partnered with josh.
5. More uroboros monsters along with a more lethal version.

These are ideas ı used to have. If they can do these, ı guess ı can be more interested at the game's existence. Rather than cv:re, ı think they can also include claire into re:5 so that both siblings would reunite. I also wouldnt mind if they would do the 1st game again so that all surviving stars cast would reunite on screen as well as connected scenarios and a more extended ending with all characters shown. But you might feel different so ı want to ask.

5. Are there characters that you want to see come back? Ada like ı stated previously where ı want to see her come back after re6. I think she should appear in a story without leon. It can be anything as long as she would get a story that doesnt have leon in it, it doesnt matter to me if they would reveal her backstory or not but ı still want to see her come back cause ı enjoy playing as her in re:4, ı think she deserves more cause she has more to offer than leon does who still got plenty stories without ada in it. They even planned ada to appear in revillage but she was cut. This is just yet another reason why ı didnt bother with the game cause ı didnt find anything in it that ı would enjoy. I'm glad ı skipped it in favor of re:4 that ı came to enjoy cause of ada being playable where ı found her scenario in the game good.

These are all of my questions.
1. I'm not familiar with this channel. I recognise the author's name but I haven't watched any of it so I can't comment.

2. I enjoy the additional lore Remake 4 introduced. The original just had nothing. No real history on the cult, the Salazar family, no insight into the lives of the villagers unless you purchased Biohazard Incubate, so I'm grateful we got much more of this. I think if we'd got this version of the story first time around, including Luis being an ex-Umbrella researcher and the Plaga experiments progressing thanks to his knowledge working with Umbrella Europe on artificial parasites such as NE-Alpha, the fandom would have lapped it up and the original would not have been as widely criticized for its narrative. That being said, I disliked some of the changes, such as Krauser no longer working for Wesker, the unnecessary changes to Operation Javier, and I don't like the way Ada is written in these remakes. I much prefer her OG incarnation, same goes for Remake 2. I'm not blaming the voice actors before anyone jumps on me, I just mean purely in terms of how Ada is written. I think she is one of the biggest misfires with these remakes so far.

3. Capcom will undoubtedly do more remakes as they are have been a massive success and made the franchise currently more popular than perhaps it has ever been. But I also think the tide is turning and there will come a point where people will turn against remakes and get sick of them. I personally don't want anymore, I want RE9. I just want the series to move forwards. As a lore fan, I don't like the changes and retcons the remakes are introducing, which is part of the reason I decided to make two timelines. But if I had to choose one, I'd say I'd prefer a Code Veronica remake. I think they could do some interesting things there in terms of its narrative and it would make sense in that it's the last of the classic core games. I also think Capcom will want to keep Wesker around a bit longer now they have finally brought him back. I don't think Remake 5 or 6 will ever happen.

4. My main issue with 5 is a majority of its story is too contained to background supplementals. Wesker would need to be introduced much earlier and I'd get rid of all the filler content like the Ndipaya villages in the marshes and shorten the Ndipaya kingdom in the caves. Bringing in legacy characters just for the sake of things wouldn't make it better IMO. What would Barry and Rebecca have to add other than nostalgia? They are not frontline BSAA and the whole point of 5 is it starts as a simple BSAA operation to arrest a weapons trafficker. They are not even expecting any biohazard. If anything I'd have Chris and Jill reunite in the climax to take down Wesker. Maybe Barry could show up in a helicopter at the very end, but that's it.

But honestly I think RE5 is fine as it is. It doesn't need touching. Having all the characters together doesn't mean it would be good - I think Death Island for example is the worst piece of canonical media the series has produced for 20 odd years. It's genuinely terrible.

5. Yes I'd like to see Ada return in a future title. But the problem is that she will be based on the re imagined character in the remakes and not her original iteration, which was far more interesting IMO. Capcom need to finally explain what her true goals are, even though they will no doubt be totally different to what they originally envisioned 20 odd years ago.

1. I'm not familiar with this channel. I recognise the author's name but I haven't watched any of it so I can't comment.

2. I enjoy the additional lore Remake 4 introduced. The original just had nothing. No real history on the cult, the Salazar family, no insight into the lives of the villagers unless you purchased Biohazard Incubate, so I'm grateful we got much more of this. I think if we'd got this version of the story first time around, including Luis being an ex-Umbrella researcher and the Plaga experiments progressing thanks to his knowledge working with Umbrella Europe on artificial parasites such as NE-Alpha, the fandom would have lapped it up and the original would not have been as widely criticized for its narrative. That being said, I disliked some of the changes, such as Krauser no longer working for Wesker, the unnecessary changes to Operation Javier, and I don't like the way Ada is written in these remakes. I much prefer her OG incarnation, same goes for Remake 2. I'm not blaming the voice actors before anyone jumps on me, I just mean purely in terms of how Ada is written. I think she is one of the biggest misfires with these remakes so far.

3. Capcom will undoubtedly do more remakes as they are have been a massive success and made the franchise currently more popular than perhaps it has ever been. But I also think the tide is turning and there will come a point where people will turn against remakes and get sick of them. I personally don't want anymore, I want RE9. I just want the series to move forwards. As a lore fan, I don't like the changes and retcons the remakes are introducing, which is part of the reason I decided to make two timelines. But if I had to choose one, I'd say I'd prefer a Code Veronica remake. I think they could do some interesting things there in terms of its narrative and it would make sense in that it's the last of the classic core games. I also think Capcom will want to keep Wesker around a bit longer now they have finally brought him back. I don't think Remake 5 or 6 will ever happen.

4. My main issue with 5 is a majority of its story is too contained to background supplementals. Wesker would need to be introduced much earlier and I'd get rid of all the filler content like the Ndipaya villages in the marshes and shorten the Ndipaya kingdom in the caves. Bringing in legacy characters just for the sake of things wouldn't make it better IMO. What would Barry and Rebecca have to add other than nostalgia? They are not frontline BSAA and the whole point of 5 is it starts as a simple BSAA operation to arrest a weapons trafficker. They are not even expecting any biohazard. If anything I'd have Chris and Jill reunite in the climax to take down Wesker. Maybe Barry could show up in a helicopter at the very end, but that's it.

But honestly I think RE5 is fine as it is. It doesn't need touching. Having all the characters together doesn't mean it would be good - I think Death Island for example is the worst piece of canonical media the series has produced for 20 odd years. It's genuinely terrible.

5. Yes I'd like to see Ada return in a future title. But the problem is that she will be based on the re imagined character in the remakes and not her original iteration, which was far more interesting IMO. Capcom need to finally explain what her true goals are, even though they will no doubt be totally different to what they originally envisioned 20 odd years ago.
I see. Thanks for the reply batman.

Top Bottom