• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Reimaginings = Remakes

I would just love to return for a second to the old topic of why the words "this is not a remake, but a reimagining" are complete bullshit and nothing more than semantic manipulation.

Quote from the official website of Resident Evil 4:

"Resident Evil 4 is a remake of the 2005 original Resident Evil 4.

Reimagined for 2023 to bring state-of-the-art survival horror."

And also another quote:

RE4.png

As you can see, it's just semantics that people in the community make a big thing out of.

If we give 50 studios a task to make a remake of one game, we will get 50 different remakes, because there are countless ways to recreate the original content. This is what the word "remake" is for. Remaking something old from scratch. How we do it doesn't matter for the definition.

We can copy the old content frame by frame and call it a "remanufacturing". We can reimagine the game and call it a "reimagining". We can just throw shit on something old and call it a "reshitting." But in any case, we are doing something new on the foundation of the old, and everyone will go crazy if they come up with a term for each of the endless approaches to how to remake things.

Even RE:2 and RE:3 differed in how they remade the original games.

Seriously, this is getting old.

Last edited:

Yama

Owner
Not a bad point though, they use multiple terms that can clash. I feel like they started with RE:2 and based on how well it did continued the trend, but may not have planned to from the beginning.

Remaster - original game cleaned up, ran at a higher fidelity.
Remake - original game remade from the ground up with several liberties
Reimagining - a reboot of sorts, using the core concepts of the original material and doing whatever the director chooses with it

I personally was in the camp that the series had jumped the shark and could have used a reboot, though when they announced RE:2 that hope had pretty much died. Then came RE:3, more or less reimagined and now RE:4 and it seems like they wanted to reboot but didn't and now are in a tough spot trying to link things to games that come after. Had they started with RE:1 instead of RE:2, they could have done literally whatever they'd like and imo the series would have benefited from it. I totally understand why this is unfathomable to some, it feels like throwing away decades of lore.

Last edited:
The new remakes are basically a new round of Chronicles-like retellings. Even Seto, who wrote and directed both Chronicles games, mentioned that he reimagines things in them.

In the same way, the remake of the first game is not intended to replace the original. In fact, this game is hardly worth playing before CODE: Veronica, otherwise it may not be so impactful. We rather re-visit this world.

Capcom originally planned to imitate the original frame by frame with it, and the game developed this way, but at some point it was decided to reimagine the story, so Lisa Trevor and new sections of the mansion appeared on the developed foundation. The game could have been more different if such a decision had been made earlier.

The last thing I would personally want is a reboot, and if it happens at some point, I will leave the series.

It's just very wierd how much meaning is put into such ordinary words as "remake". It's just a thing created anew. Re-make. No more than that.

But we humans are such odd creatures that we invent whole systems of thoughts behind this single word. And we even expect that our systems should determine what unfamiliar developers from Japan who are remaking things should do and what not, and then we argue with each other for years, because these systems are just fiction that has nothing to do with reality.

Language is a communication tool, and it should help us understand each other, but when they write to you that this is a game "not a remake, but a reimagining," because some kind of system and paradigm is embedded in the word "remake," no, it only causes frustration.

Yama

Owner
The last thing I would personally want is a reboot, and if it happens at some point, I will leave the series.
Depending how quickly they would have reached the end goal and how it differed, I may or may not have been okay with it. Having started with RE:2 though, I really don't think you'll ever have anything to worry about. The chance came and they passed on it. The one thing I'm noticing however is there is an entirely new generation of fans from these remakes, that was definitely one of the main goals and it worked well.

I really hope the RE4 remake does well, but I just want Capcom to move on from the past. It's not a problem to remake older games, provided we get new games too. But I feel like their sequels could be better.

Remakes with cut content though, ain't much fun. But we will see after tonight what Capcom has in store for us.

I wouldn’t put it past Capcom to go back and do an RE:0 and RE:1 again, they still have them in the cards and depending how this new remake sells, they will go back to that before doing a remake of CV.

It all really boils down to whether they are going to show Wesker at all in RE:4 or any codex facial animations for that matter. They will most likely be reduced to real time voice only, so as to not break immersion. I imagine they want to reintroduce Wesker in an earlier title for new RE Engine fans, so going back to the mansion to me makes more sense.

REmake remaster was simply a test run to see if the audience was still there, and it was by selling over 1 millions copies. For a game that was exclusive to Nintendo platforms for 14 years; that is impressive.

I wouldn’t put it past Capcom to go back and do an RE:0 and RE:1 again, they still have them in the cards and depending how this new remake sells, they will go back to that before doing a remake of CV.

It all really boils down to whether they are going to show Wesker at all in RE:4 or any codex facial animations for that matter. They will most likely be reduced to real time voice only, so as to not break immersion. I imagine they want to reintroduce Wesker in an earlier title for new RE Engine fans, so going back to the mansion to me makes more sense.

REmake remaster was simply a test run to see if the audience was still there, and it was by selling over 1 millions copies. For a game that was exclusive to Nintendo platforms for 14 years; that is impressive.
I see a lot of people saying they could combine 0/1. I don't know how I feel about that tbh. It'd be neutered if that was the case and RE1 being a smaller game is some of its charm.

I see a lot of people saying they could combine 0/1. I don't know how I feel about that tbh. It'd be neutered if that was the case and RE1 being a smaller game is some of its charm.
They tried doing that with RE2/3. I hope they keep all mainline projects in house in the future. RE:3 has left a sour taste in a lot of fans’ mouths, so by having inexperienced teams who are out of touch with the source material is a very bad thing.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
"this is not a remake, but a reimagining"
Well ı think they are neither. They are just re4 ports, that's all. They also dont feel like bio entries since simulation premise takes over them completely instead of a biohazard outbreak that threaten bio-real world.

But sure go ahead and agree with wesker's fanfiction. Cause him growing a crush on alexia, ada and jill makes him totally sympathetic, right? Even simmons didnt grow a crush on multiple women, it was only centered around ada.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Words are not toys, Mert. They have their own meanings and applications.
That still doesnt change what ı said. It's just wesker using his umbrella to simulate incidents. Notice how re4 is the only time when wesker appears at something without anyone else from re1 returning. I like chris more than wesker so re6 having chris without anyone else from re1 returning is something ı wouldnt disagree with suga in regards to his writing even if ı wished jill and claire appeared there.

Cause it's true. He grows a crush on alexia and lets chris go. Then he gets bitchslapped by her and escapes. In re4; he goes ahead and spills the beans to ada about his umbrella ambition which she includes in her report. And in re5, he goes ahead and puts jill in a battlesuit along with p30 device on her chest. It doesnt seem to offer her bulletproof protection which seems intentional cause he seems to want chris to kill her. He just gives her a fate worse than death.

If wesker was concluded in recv; he and his ambition wouldnt unnecessarily drag on. Jill and claire would appear in re6 too and ı would have liked that as a way to fully conclude the series. It's so ironic how you and your kind go ahead and keep calling re6's story stupid just cause of simmons' obsession with ada along with your infinite misconceptions. It doesnt make you any less disgusting than that sicko. And yet you're fine with wesker's twisted fanfiction. Whenever he's involved; it downplays everyone's journey. I hate recvx with a burning passion.

That still doesnt change what ı said.
Of course, it doesn't change what happened. You wrote that this is a port, but it's not true. You either don't know the meaning of this word, or you intentionally put some meaning of your own and expect me to play by these rules. I won't.

It's so ironic how you and your kind go ahead and keep calling re6's story stupid just cause of simmons' obsession with ada along with your infinite misconceptions. It doesnt make you any less disgusting than that sicko. And yet you're fine with wesker's twisted fanfiction. Whenever he's involved; it downplays everyone's journey. I hate recvx with a burning passion.
As a representative of the species called Homo russidentus, I can say that my kind did not call the RE6 story stupid.

But even if I were a hater of your favorite game, writing that haters are no less disgusting than a fascist who wanted to commit genocide of the human species is the most insecure shit I've read lately.

Your lack of emotional wisdom does you a disservice, Mert. Or maybe you're trying to get yourself banned because you chose the right direction for it.

I don't even care about the lore nowadays, because even Capcom doesn't give a shit about it. They are just games to play and enjoy, or not enjoy these days. You will be playing something else by the next week, as that's how forgettable it all is. Believe me...

It's like a bad takeaway dish. Some seasoning can be added and it's a bit better tasting, but you know it's still bland food.

I do think it all got rather silly after 4 came out. Trying to understand any of this is feutile. So you just have to accept it.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So you just have to accept it.
Or you can just vote with your actions. I only bought re engine 1 from simulations but thankfully ı played corps and didnt buy any more re engine simulation. 2 was gifted to me and ı will say it feels the most " unique " one as a simulation experiment due to featuring the most amount of types as simulations but storywise the game feels like trainwreck. I wished they just ended the series cause reach for the moon drags the quality to dirt.

I know what you mean. I expect RE4 will be more in line with their original vision. Which is fine. I'd prefer a more horror like game anyway. But what I want barely matters. I'm just one consumer out of X amount.

But remakes are exactly that. They don't "advance" the series ahead in any capacity. It's just a remake of an already existing story. Changes won't apply to the canon that's already there.

So, really. These games are not like 7 and 8. As corny as 8 is, that's canon, as is 7. And even some of those dreadful spin offs tie into the franchise as well. But remakes, I don't think so.

Top Bottom