• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE5 RE5 vs RE6

I don't get the hate for RE6 either. It feels more like "proper" RE than 4 and 5, and has more comfy controls. I know zombies only appear in Leon's campaign, but that's still a full length game. And I prefer exploring a city to going inside shacks, and little houses, which is what 4 and 5 mostly have you doing for much of the story. Capcom also provided a mixture of gameplay styles, and had a major production schedule, so this has to be commended.

Also, RE was always destined to be action combined with horror, because this is what happened to Alien as well. The first one is generally the scariest entry no doubt, just because the threat of the Xenomorph is new and yet to be studied, and the crew felt confined to just that spaceship. But later entries have people ready to face the problem, all guns blazing. But they are generally more entertaining sequels, just as RE is...

So it's a very odd debate.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I don't get the hate for RE6 either. It feels more like "proper" RE than 4 and 5, and has more comfy controls. I know zombies only appear in Leon's campaign, but that's still a full length game. And I prefer exploring a city to going inside shacks, and little houses, which is what 4 and 5 mostly have you doing for much of the story. Capcom also provided a mixture of gameplay styles, and had a major production schedule, so this has to be commended.

Also, RE was always destined to be action combined with horror, because this is what happened to Alien as well. The first one is generally the scariest entry no doubt, just because the threat of the Xenomorph is new and yet to be studied, and the crew felt confined to just that spaceship. But later entries have people ready to face the problem, all guns blazing. But they are generally more entertaining sequels, just as RE is...

So it's a very odd debate.
Yeah ı agree. Compared to re4 and re5, re6 feels more like a return to form in terms of story aspects. It also has a lot of gameplay variety. Zombies appear in ada's campaign as well. That one has both j'avos and zombies. I think that's another reason why ada's campaign is my favourite one though ı still love them all really.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Another thing ı prefer re6 over re5 is the 2nd characters during 1st 3 campaigns. I really enjoy playing as helena, piers and sherry. I still like leon, chris and jake a lot but ı've gained my preferences over time.

While sheva is cool, at the same time; ı find myself preferring chris over her since he's more interesting to play while sheva feels more fitting as a support.

I think re6 is much better than re5 which while ı think is better than re4 and improves from it; ( Playing re4 on pcsx2 decreased my enjoyment; ı found a way to make its steam version work properly on my new gaming laptop but the enjoyment that ı had with it in the past still didnt fully come in regards to its core gameplay. ) ı still think re6 improves from re5 more than re5 does from re4. Re5 is too similar to re4 and its unique aspects dont shine that well during the story. Namely uroboros and progenitor.

It feels like the most revolutionary title since outbreak games. Imo re2, re3 and outbreak games together feel more like an actual re2 while re6 feels more like an actual re3 to me. Not saying ı'm bothered at re2 and re3 being re2 and re3 but ı still feel this way.

And ada's campaign is my number 1 favourite campaign in the game. I really love ada in re6 along with carla. That's my favourite take on her and ı really enjoy carla as an antagonist. I think her campaign is so much better than separate ways in re4 too.

Last edited:
I prefer re6 over re5 in a lot of aspects.

For re5; ı enjoyed chris' character as well as the story from his perspective along with voice acting of many characters however many aspects at the same time felt wasted. I wished sheva wasnt forced to be his partner and instead was partnered with josh, jill didnt get captured by wesker and was partnered with chris right from start, barry and rebecca were in the story, excella was utilized better, plaga was overused while progenitor was barely utilized along with unnecessary uroboros etc.

Re6 fixed the mistakes of re5 as well as past games for me. All 7 main playable characters had character development throught the story and they were utilized better than ever before, the voice acting was improved to perfection, ı really liked c-virus which is a combo of g-virus and special t-veronica strain called t-02, simmons and carla felt more enjoyable antagonists than irving and excella, it felt more epic along with more variety etc.

Re6 also felt very unique compared to re5 which is too similar to re4 imo.

Now for re6; ı wished claire was in the game along with alyson court voicing her. I would also add ricky as her partner. I wished agent got his own campaign too rather than being forced as ada's online partner in her campaign. I would have preferred for jill to be mentioned as well but ı dont see it possible for her to return unfortunately. I wished she wasnt handled like that in re5 so that she would appear in the stories that are set between re5 and re6 which have chris and piers. If re5 happened differently then ı feel both piers and merah would have survived.

Regardless ı enjoy both games and ı feel that both can get unnecessary hate but ı'm more on the side of the latter.
Of the 2, I prefer 5. The Mercenaries mode for me is still so enjoyable for me and I will always go back to it. I have tried out the one in 6 and it's alright, but I'm so used to 5 that I'll stick with that 1.

As far as everything else you mentioned though, 6 does a better job, especially with its character arcs and voice acting. Roger Craig Smith gets a mention for his excellent portrayal of Chris Redfield in 6.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Of the 2, I prefer 5. The Mercenaries mode for me is still so enjoyable for me and I will always go back to it. I have tried out the one in 6 and it's alright, but I'm so used to 5 that I'll stick with that 1.

As far as everything else you mentioned though, 6 does a better job, especially with its character arcs and voice acting. Roger Craig Smith gets a mention for his excellent portrayal of Chris Redfield in 6.
Thanks. Yeah re6 felt like a very big improvement from past entries in a lot of aspects. Story, voice acting / character dialogue, characterization, core gameplay and many more was improved. It's just an amazing game through and through. Playing the campaigns by mixing the chapters in a more canonical fashion makes it even more amazing for me. I still revisit the game.

For mercenaries modes; ı prefer re6 over re5 and others as well cause ı played that the most compared to other extra game modes while being more used to it but ı'll also say that the previous ones have more depth in regards to unlockables and new features. Re3 and re4 especially have new unlockables from them. Re5 doesnt have new unlockables but compared to re6, it still offers more new features like playing as wesker or the new characters in reunion version who arent playable in the story.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

Here's also this video. I agree with the points tgbs makes. I used to disagree with re5 parts cause at 1st ı was confused at what he was trying to say for it but over time ı also started to realize re5's wasted features storywise. Re6 feels like a massive improvement from it as well as other entries. Still peak bio sequel for me.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont understand why some consider helena as an expy of angela. I remember thinking that way for a short while despite liking her but honestly ı find those statements stupid now.

I mean angela had a brother while helena had a sister. Not to mention former was younger than her brother while helena was older than her sister.

Even their occupation is different since angela was working for srt, which is some sorts of swat, while helena was a government agent and the organization she worked for changed from cia to usss.

I also remember considering helena as the weakest character in re6 but ı've grown more appreciation for her over time to the point ı prefer playing as her more than leon. Honestly ı love her hydra shotgun a lot; it's immensely satisfying to do quickshots.

But anyway; ı still cant believe people consider helena as angela expy. I think people forget that roger craig smith returned to voice chris with multiple entries after curtis.

I even remember seeing some wanting angela to appear in re6 instead of helena even though her story was finished in the movie and ı dont think they are allowed to use characters for games who 1st appeared in cgi films or other canon non-game material.

I find the criticisms about helena unfair as well just like the unwarranted criticisms re6 get imo.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think simmons and carla are much more sinister antagonists than wesker in re5. I dont like project w backstory for him, it doesnt feel like it's executed well just like him coming out of nowhere as a revived superhuman in recv. I find wesker a boring villain overall except his utilization in umbrella chronicles and even then he's still not a good narrator.

As for re6 about the villains:

I found simmons a disturbing villain due to his obsession with ada and power. Not to mention he's most likely the one who made a deal with birkin to acquire the g-virus and he's the one who ordered the bombing of raccoon which disgusts ada. I'm so glad he got infected with enhanced c-virus and continuously mutated until he died; he really deserved it. His blood also forms the umbrella logo, symbolizing that his actions were just as evil as umbrella's as well as symbolizing the us government's connections to umbrella.

For carla; ı found her a tragic villain. She wanted to destroy the balance simmons and his family is so obsessed with as a twisted payback against him. She really succeeded some of her plans as well like causing chaos on some parts of china as well as infecting simmons; if she didnt call ada due to struggling with her conscience, the world would have been destroyed.

I also want to talk about the family in re6.

I dont think the family is illuminati in any capacity.

I used to think they are for a short while; ı even described it as " fake illuminati narrative " . But apparently they arent.

They also dont seem to control us or the world. They are just a secret organization who keep us on top of the pyramid of power and use that to stay rich while maintaining order and staying hidden.

Honestly treating the family simply as a secret manipulating organization hidden in us rather than illuminati makes more sense imo. I still dont understand why people think it's illuminati.

I mean really? The politics in re series is extremely streamlined compared to convoluted real life politics which ı prefer to not talk about in the slightest. Basically the whole premise is countries and governments making dealings with umbrella and other pharmaceutical companies. That's it really. The family's existence is the reason why us made dealings with umbrella in the past. I doubt capcom really intended to give some kind of a real life message or something.

I think this is a reason why ı would prefer resident evil's take on politics compared to convoluted one in real life. It's extremely streamlined and the context is overall muted really. Makes it more enjoyable to go through.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I feel that jill is the most unique " enemy " in re5 along with licker betas. I still cant stand her becoming wesker's slave to the point the entire story revolves around wesker more than other characters but ı wished she was utilized more as a mysterious figure during the story. I might need to be corrected on this but doesnt the cloak she's wearing offer her bulletproof protection just like wesker's bulletproof clothing in re5? Chris later on shoots the mask covering her face and it seems to protect her. If wesker wanted to give jill a fate worse than death; then it makes more sense to me that she would have been the one portrayed as more invincible figure rather than wesker.

I think 2006 portion should have been much more expanded while desperate escape didnt even need to exist. Instead the game should have pulled off a partner swap mechanic where sheva's inventory would have been transferred to jill's before jill would partner up with chris. I cant stand to inventory management in re5. I dont like to exchange ammo and weapons. I think exchanging healing items is fine but ı would have preferred partner aı to have infinite ammo while they would have their own slot for weapons. I dont like the quick reload trick either. It just doesnt fit to the game, even more so when it has reload upgrades which also doesnt feel necessary. It took me a while to figure that out. I didnt know what key to press until ı figured that out by myself; that being " z " key while ı was playing on keyboard and mouse. Chris and jill would defeat wesker while sheva would later on team with josh before going through their own journey. I wished the game showed more of sibling bond between sheva and josh. I would have liked to see more of that in the game.

But anyway imo jill is the best thing about re5. I still enjoy playing as chris but ı cant stand to wesker at all. I find rescuing jill more satisfying than fighting wesker. I'm still bothered by her dlcs being quite letdown and re5 lin doesnt allow to play as jill right from start without resorting to online. The game seems to be centered around online more than singleplayer. I enjoy the entries more by myself rather than sharing it with others that much and ı dont even think ı played re5 online more than re6 anyway. Re6 felt better balanced between single player and online imo.

It's a shame that the game's plot twist about jill didnt work well for me. I played rerev2 before re5 and the unlockable files go ahead and spoil the plot twist of re5's story due to jill being mentioned at those. I pretty much figured about jill being the mysterious figure right from start due to this. I feel that they should have concluded alex with jill returning for an entry that doesnt carry " revelations " name while claire would appear in re6 along with ricky.

If ı played re5 after re6; then ı could have been more impressed by the game's plot twists like ı did for re6 but regardless ı'll take re5 jill over both weskers.

I still like this special conversation between chris and sheva though. I remember being quite impressed by it when ı 1st found it.

I like that in RE5 there is a weapon shop and kind of a item box to store weapons and items. It helps a lot when i am doing custom runs. Increases replay value a lot for me.

I also like that in RE6 partner inventory is not shared

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Dreading a remake of 5 :rolleyes:
Same here. I think they will still do it, especially since the end of re4r references re5 by showcasing images from it in regards to excella and stairway of the sun area. And the game is still the best selling game in the series so capcom may not want to miss that chance.

As for re6, that's still quite unlikely, especially since they skipped recv and the details from operation javier are also changed in re4r. Now it involves more soldiers along with more drug cartels. In suga's script, only leon and krauser were involved and the mission was to arrest javier, not eradicate " drug cartels " . If it would still happen, it would receive much more cuts and unnecessary changes than previous instances. One example, g and t-veronica may not even be involved, only leon's campaign would stay and ı suppose the family and neo umbrella would also be gone as well as simmons and carla's backstories being altered. Honestly the only thing not cut from it would be leon ı assume.

Last edited:
I don't want any more remakes either. I'm sick of them. But since RE4 is getting the predictable amount of buzz we know it would gain, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they are willing to want to keep doing more.

They will probably milk CV next, because they will start to realize that the most popular games have been done, so they can milk the less popular ones. Because while CV is good, it's not as popular as 2 and 3, and especially 4. But it's not like there's anything else besides 1, CV, Outbreak and 5 that I could see Capcom wanting to remake.

I don't know about 6. But I've learned to never say never.

Top Bottom