• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE4 RE4 HD Project 2/2/22

Yama

Owner
The mighty RE4 HD Project finally has a date! Version 1.0 will release on February 2nd, 2022. Outside of all the amazing custom texture work and more, HD movies (SW) have recently been added as well as teaming up with nipkow’s tweaks thus implementing a ton of QOL features for the final release (ultra wide support, DOF, etc.).

RELEASE-PROMO6-scaled-1-1024x576.jpg

To say this project was a huge undertaking is an understatement, seven years of work has now been put into this project. If you can, please consider donating at their website.

Yama

Owner
Less than a month until this project releases and I can hardly wait. The hype for this actually feels like a new title, be sure to check it out upon release and donate if you can. I haven't seen a passion project like this since the RE 1.5 days.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı want to say that ı finally figured out a way to make re4 work on my new gaming laptop. The problem seems to be my screen's rate and the solution to that was re4 tweaks mod that add enhancement and support to the game. It also smooths out the controls and allows fov increase while making the gameplay feel more closer to re5. While it's still limited in terms of design when compared to re6, a good portion of the annoyance feels removed. I will honestly rely on this, it's a pretty good mod imo.

I tried separate ways yesterday but one annoyance was ada was equipped with her new re2 outfit from mercenaries. It was also buggy for some weapons when viewed on inventory and equipping chicago typewriter with that caused the game to crash. I wanted to start with ada's default dress but the game didnt give me the option. I tried multiple methods but no solution to it. It seems that due to playing leon's new game+ with his rpd outfit previously, the game automatically changed ada's to re2 one as well though the cutscenes didnt show her with re2 outfit. I also tried ada separate ways from new game and through that, she was equipped with her default dress.

So what ı did was ı deleted my new save file ( though ı still made a back up for it. ) and ı fully freshed my progress. My save file was also messy due to relying on all separate saves from load game feature and ı wanted to clean those up.

But today ı played as leon from stratch, ı also relied on wemod trainer, that's the only one my pc's antivirus didnt find suspicious anyway. I used infinite ammo and gold cheats to progress. I went up to castle and so far, the experience felt more closer to re5 like ı said previously.

I didnt download hd mod fully yet, ı only downloaded 4 parts. I still have 14 to go. I'll probably beat leon's run 1st using tweaks mod alone before fully downloading the mod then ı'll start separate ways using that as well. That's the main reason why ı'm downloading hd mod in the 1st place, to increase the quality of separate ways cutscenes.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Ok so ı kinda changed my mind about what ı said for hd project. I kinda gave up at trying that. It's way too big while being divided to unnecessary amount of parts. I also remember seeing one of my friends streaming re4 using that mod and fps seem to drop with it. So after thinking about it, ı dont really want to download it. I'm fine using re4 tweaks mod alone.

Out of curiosity, ı checked the cutscenes of separate ways with the mod and for a remastered project, they still dont look that good imo. The quality increase seems to apply more to general gameplay and the cutscenes of leon's story rather than separate ways cutscenes.

I'm glad people like the mod but it's really not for me.

But anyway, ı went through castle today. Tomorrow ı'll finish island then move on to separate ways and assignment ada to unlock chicago typewriter. Regardless ı'm glad the game opens on my new gaming laptop. I dont need to struggle through ps2 version on pcsx2 anymore.

Yama

Owner
Felt like a breath of fresh air for me, almost like a first time. Playing at 21:9 with a decent FOV and the amazing texture work was a thing of beauty. Also played it on KBM for the first time and with some of the included tweaks it felt fantastic. Even found a never before used micro side step, mouse only.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı finished leon's story yesterday as well as both of ada's scenarios today. I enjoyed the ride overall. The tweaks mod made the game much more enjoyable to go through. I dont think ı'll go back to the outdated method of playing the game ever again.

Though ı dont feel like ı'll fully beat mercenaries and beat pro difficulty since its unlockables dont interest me that much.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I've been relying on tweaks patch more for new game runs and ı eventually figured out that through the special menu, it's possible to max the inventory size right from start through maxing out the gold and buying attache case xl. This helped quite a lot since it allowed to store much more items from the beginning. This trick can only be done before meeting with merchant in chapter 1-2 though since otherwise the largest inventory upgrade wont be available until chapter 3-3.

I also checked separate ways' new game feature through this but attache case xl isnt available right from start. Personally ı think separate ways benefits more from new game+ than new game since the weapons cant be upgraded and unlocking chicago typewriter helps as well. I dont finding myself going back to new game for ada compared to leon's story.

Playing on pc surely helps due to benefits like this. I cant find myself going back to other ports since the game feels unplayable due to controls. The experience felt like torture on pcsx2.

Yama

Owner
I've been relying on tweaks patch more for new game runs and ı eventually figured out that through the special menu, it's possible to max the inventory size right from start through maxing out the gold and buying attache case xl. This helped quite a lot since it allowed to store much more items from the beginning. This trick can only be done before meeting with merchant in chapter 1-2 though since otherwise the largest inventory upgrade wont be available until chapter 3-3.

I also checked separate ways' new game feature through this but attache case xl isnt available right from start. Personally ı think separate ways benefits more from new game+ than new game since the weapons cant be upgraded and unlocking chicago typewriter helps as well. I dont finding myself going back to new game for ada compared to leon's story.

Playing on pc surely helps due to benefits like this. I cant find myself going back to other ports since the game feels unplayable due to controls. The experience felt like torture on pcsx2.
The second you do a NG+ you keep the case size though, so it's really negligible to me. The game is so old and I have hundreds of play throughs complete across so many platforms, that surely the case is always maxed when I start playing on a NG+ file. I'm happy you found a way to enjoy it your way, I'm not saying not to, I just never found this to be a big deal in any way.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The second you do a NG+ you keep the case size though, so it's really negligible to me. The game is so old and I have hundreds of play throughs complete across so many platforms, that surely the case is always maxed when I start playing on a NG+ file. I'm happy you found a way to enjoy it your way, I'm not saying not to, I just never found this to be a big deal in any way.
Understandable but ı played the game through new game more than relying on new game+. Even though ı dont like the idea of upgrading firing and reload speed through gold, ı still do it automatically regardless since leon's portion feels better designed through it. With new game+, ı think the game loses some of its charm that ı'm quite not sure how to explain it but ı didnt have issue with re5 and re6 since they become even better through new game+. Still with tweaks patch it's possible to max out the gold so ı modify the game for my own needs. For example ı buy silver ghost and fully upgrade all stats except damage. Once ı reach castle, ı sell that and rely on punisher with it being fully upgraded. I also have other weapons in inventory, including blacktail at all times. I warmed up to that handgun since ı like seeing leon using the same handgun ada uses, ı find that a cute detail. For other weapon types, they mostly come useful at new game more than new game+; particularly 1st 2 shotguns, rifle and mine thrower. I dont use those at new game+ at all. Striker, broken butterfly and semi auto rifle however definitely stay. I also store one infinite ammo type of weapon at inventory but try not to overuse it too much. I prefer to mix it with melee.

Found my old disks:

RE4_1.jpg

RE4_2.jpg

RE4_3.jpg

I remember I have another copy of the 2007 port somewhere, as well as two copies of RE6 and two copies of Revelations.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I played separate ways through a new game after a while. I wanted to see how infinite gold feature worked without an infinite ammo cheat. It felt overall the same though ı still dont like krauser and saddler boss fights at the end. Not a fan of chapter 3 or gatling gun ganados either. Without having bowgun right from start like in re6, the game loses its impact ı think. It surely benefits from new game+ more than leon's story does.

Also ı'm saying this again but ı dont like saddler boss fight in separate ways. I just think it's terrible and feels awkwardly designed. I decided to not rely on bowgun too much this time and it took even longer through tmp. I looked up and apparently ı found that he's weak to knife which seems intentional due to its attacks relying a lot on qtes. It's still a pointless fight regardless since ada gets captured right after the boss fight. I would have preferred if leon and ada fought against him together like in re6's campaign intersection points.

Yama

Owner
I remember I have another copy of the 2007 port somewhere, as well as two copies of RE6 and two copies of Revelations.
Yeah the first Chinese PC port, I have that as well and my lord was it bad. I remember I did a review on it on the old Haze, lol.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I started playing re4 on steam with hd project mod and ı've been having slowdowns at various times. I tried the patches and ı both enabled / disabled them but the slowdowns still pop out from nowhere. Right now ı disabled v-sync so hopefully that can solve the issue.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I finished castle for my recording right now. I took more screenshots:

Aeon Boat 1.jpg

Aeon Boat 2.jpg

Aeon Boat 3.jpg

Aeon Boat 4.jpg

" It was hard to believe the Ada who had saved his life could be working with such a man. "

I can read this text too.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I finished uploading leon's scenario with hd project mod. Gonna upload separate ways footage with that after recording for it too, ı'll save it into the same playlist with leon videos.

Here's also a slideshow ı made with the images ı took from recorded footages. There were a lot so rather than uploading all of those images, ı recorded a slideshow instead.

Top Bottom