• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE1 RE '96 SHDP

Eh, I don't like it, to be honest. Like, at all.

For old games, I bought a console and an old TV a long time ago:

NSHiXjAgNwc.jpg

If I have to use an emulator, I try to customize it so that the rendering matches the old fashion.

Here are my screenshots:

fsKxYb_X7CU.jpg

f9sRfbeCvgQ.jpg

This is also my problem with the Resident Evil 2002 remaster. If you don't have the ability to render the backgrounds again, so you just use low-resolution images and artificially increase them, it just looks wrong and unnatural.

This is the best experience for such games for me, because they were designed in this way:

Capcom’s RE4 HD remaster suffered the most. That is why I put more faith in fan projects like this because there is more passion put into it and not a cash grab. Some backgrounds are probably impossible at this point to upscale properly unless they are completely recreated. I’ll throw Capcom a bone and say at least they don’t lose the source code for their games like Konami. *shudders* SH HD Collection.

That’s a nice little setup! I got rid of all my old TV over a decade ago.

That fan project is just gorgeous. It's weird to think that they had to visit all these places or look for their authentic replacements, when the developers themselves just took ready-made textures.

Although I really enjoyed the updated version of Zero. I think the team did a great job:

Yama

Owner
Eh, I don't like it, to be honest. Like, at all.
To be fair I'm not a fan in it's current state either, though think it's a rough rendition atm. Their RE2/3 projects look fantastic and are true to the source material where as '96 looks live traced. I'll refrain from judging until it's done, respect the effort either way though.

RE4HD project is another world of awesome however. To think they are teaming up to do REmake next. That will be my favorite project of all time.

It helped that RE2 and RE3 HD texture packs are based off their Gamecube versions. So upscaling RE ‘96 properly will be much harder to pull off since it was never ported to a modern console before. Even the Deadly Silence version looks worse in some areas compared to its PS1 counterpart.

I will give them my blessing since more people should experience the original, it deserves its own spotlight and shouldn’t be overshadowed by REmake. There are still aspects of the original I like more despite the crap voice acting.

Yama

Owner
It helped that RE2 and RE3 HD texture packs are based off their Gamecube versions. So upscaling RE ‘96 properly will be much harder to pull off since it was never ported to a modern console before. Even the Deadly Silence version looks worse in some areas compared to its PS1 counterpart.

I will give them my blessing since more people should experience the original, it deserves its own spotlight and shouldn’t be overshadowed by REmake. There are still aspects of the original I like more despite the crap voice acting.
Well said. The original mansion felt a bit more eerie to me stylistically due to its retro colors and overall oddness.

Well said. The original mansion felt a bit more eerie to me stylistically due to its retro colors and overall oddness.
That’s saying something when a game can still be scary with bright lighted rooms and goofy dialogue. Making a game more dark and realistic like REmake 2 did does not necessarily make it scarier, at least to me. There is an art in crafting an authentic horror experience that seems to be a hit or miss with recent titles.

As another example; Henry’s apartment in SH4 has some of the most disturbing moments in the series, yet the room is lit up and doesn’t rely on darkness to unsettle the player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom