• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Original Trilogy Released on PC

Finally the original trilogy has been re-released on PC. It's important to understand that this release was worked on by GOG to preserve and make available the original trilogy, which is why it is only available on GOG and is not a remaster. Here is the full press release:

https://www.gog.com/en/news/capcom_and_gog_join_forces_to_release_the_original_resident_evil_trilogy

Resident Evil 1 is currently available with 2 and 3 to follow soon:

Last edited:
This was the golden age of horror games to me, and then RE4 had to happen. But I still really enjoy RE4.
It certainly was and it was such an event when each of the games came out. I don't own any of the original trilogy anymore so this has been an exciting release for me to actually buy them again for modern hardware. I'm planning to replay the trilogy for the first time in many, many years.

Now that I'm coming out of a 5-year game retirement now at age 41 and getting my old games back in my life, plus a few different ones, I'll get the bundle pack with my next SSI deposit because I did overspent on games, Twister 4K movie and 2 Amino Energy. This is good, because I won't have to invest in another gaming system to stay compatible with these Resident Evil games. I can just play them along with my Tomb Raiders 1 - Legend (GOG) games on my Windows 11.

So good things are a-happening with Resident Evil this holiday week.

Yama

Owner
Finally the original trilogy has been re-released on PC. It's important to understand that this release was worked on by GOG to preserve and make available the original trilogy, which is why it is only available on GOG and is not a remaster. Here is the full press release:

https://www.gog.com/en/news/capcom_and_gog_join_forces_to_release_the_original_resident_evil_trilogy

Resident Evil 1 is currently available with 2 and 3 to follow soon:

Absolutely fantastic for preservation. Of course we'd have loved a somewhat higher effort port across Steam, consoles, etc. But for the sake of preservation this is golden.

I found something I didn't know about that turns out to be exclusive to the PC version. If you finish Chris Redfield's scenario in under 4 hours you unlock this machine gun. I had only played the PlayStation version so this was new to me. I then used it to help unlock the Rocket Launcher which was the most fun I've had in a Resident Evil in a while :D

1720106866973.png

We should give it to Mert so he can shoot up all the RE6 haters. 😅

Another day, another YouTuber saying "RE6 has too much action" - when 4 started it first. Or maybe it was with 3? No. 2? No. 1? Really, they all sound somewhat hypocritical.

All RE games have a lot of action, but 4 was the game that truly kicked off the action genre. So blame that sequel. But I guess they forgot Tyrant is killed with a rocket launcher at the conclusion of the very first game.

Don't most RE bosses get finished off in a similar way?

Even the first game is an action adventure, especially when you do the timed challenges with a machine gun :LOL:
It's definitely important to have a good balance of action and adventure in a Resident Evil game, and I think there are good signs for the future in that regard

I found something I didn't know about that turns out to be exclusive to the PC version. If you finish Chris Redfield's scenario in under 4 hours you unlock this machine gun. I had only played the PlayStation version so this was new to me. I then used it to help unlock the Rocket Launcher which was the most fun I've had in a Resident Evil in a while :D

View attachment 2718
Also, Jill has a bonus weapon in this version. I played this version verrrryy long time ago. I totally forgot about that Jill doesn't have to use ink ribbons. Only in the new game+ as Jill you have to save the game, the difficulty is more similar to the USA one.

We should give it to Mert so he can shoot up all the RE6 haters. 😅

Another day, another YouTuber saying "RE6 has too much action" - when 4 started it first. Or maybe it was with 3? No. 2? No. 1? Really, they all sound somewhat hypocritical.

All RE games have a lot of action, but 4 was the game that truly kicked off the action genre. So blame that sequel. But I guess they forgot Tyrant is killed with a rocket launcher at the conclusion of the very first game.

Don't most RE bosses get finished off in a similar way?

I kinda agree that RE6 is overhated. But come on, this game is very bloated and has a lot of annoying elements, qtes, etc.

Last edited:
That's true. I really don't like 4, 5 and 6 much in retrospect. I do like them as action games that are good for co-op, but they were devoid of the reasons as to why I got into survival horror in the first place. So looking back on them now, I see them as a good trilogy of action RE games, but far from being the horror I look for.

Playing RE4 today, while it is still a great game, the controls are very outdated. In fact, the ports all lack the GameCube's set up. So I don't enjoy the post GameCube releases.

But 7 and 8, I think are just shite.

Also, Jill has a bonus weapon in this version. I played this version verrrryy long time ago. I totally forgot about that Jill doesn't have to use ink ribbons. Only in the new game+ as Jill you have to save the game, the difficulty is more similar to the USA one.
I didn't know about that before I played this release, it was actually quite relaxing playing as Jill and not having to worry about ink ribbons for my first run since 1998, I needed to get used to tank controls again and the way combat works in these old games. I got used to the tank controls quite quickly, then got serious with a Chris play through.

I didn't know about that before I played this release, it was actually quite relaxing playing as Jill and not having to worry about ink ribbons for my first run since 1998, I needed to get used to tank controls again and the way combat works in these old games. I got used to the tank controls quite quickly, then got serious with a Chris play through.
I was confused a little about that ink ribbon thing at first. I thought GOG said, " Didn't change a damn thing!". Apparently that always has been like that with that PC original version. I also recommend playing with different story branches. Don't save Richard, beat with a worse ending (I think much more interesting and memorable), and trigger different cutscenes.

Last edited:
That's true. I really don't like 4, 5 and 6 much in retrospect. I do like them as action games that are good for co-op, but they were devoid of the reasons as to why I got into survival horror in the first place. So looking back on them now, I see them as a good trilogy of action RE games, but far from being the horror I look for.

Playing RE4 today, while it is still a great game, the controls are very outdated. In fact, the ports all lack the GameCube's set up. So I don't enjoy the post GameCube releases.

But 7 and 8, I think are just shite.
I don't want to go off-topic here about later RE titles, but I am very happy that we have gotten a proper re-release of GOG version. It is like why now? Why not much earlier? at least five years back? Anyway, it was GOG who contacted Capcom about that and got permission to do this legal and accessible way to play OG games, especially for a new generation of fans who can play without a big hassle. Maybe this thing will get more traction and Capcom will decide to release the OG trilogy on consoles and Steam.

Top Bottom