• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Monsters in Alone in the Dark resemble the Molded!

I suspect they may have a common source of inspiration, that is, those Voodoo dolls made of straw and such. They share a common motif of faceless "woven" creatures resembling humans only in a figurative humanoid shape. And Voodoo, of course, is rooted in Louisiana.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the developers were genuinely inspired by BIO7. At the beginning of the game, it had a similar True Detective-like shot that 7 utilized as well. And the rot of what is presumed to be Lovecraft's Shub-Niggurath is a vector of fungi, which is quite important for the story. But these are the only potential similarities that I've noticed.

I should add that Alone in the Dark is an amazing love letter of the classic trilogy and is a hardcore Lovecraftian fiction that is directly connected to Lovecraft's myths. If the game fails commercially, it will be a great shame, but people don't care about old-school horror these days, so it's expected.

Yes, Alone in the Dark is not an AAA game, but it shouldn't be a verdict by any means. Games can have an enjoyable experience and tell good stories without having absurd budgets.

I thought the combat was a bit on the shitty side, but in general, I enjoyed playing it. There was a lot of bugs too. At one point, Carnby wasn't even able to shoot, forcing me to retreat.

Top Bottom