• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Mikami and Takeuchi talk 25 yrs of Biohazard

As much of a rocky road RE has been on, it’s impressive it has outlived its brethren horror IP’s and still flourishes today. That seems to be the conundrum with game developers these days; it has become too expensive to even make smaller games, so there is always risks involved. Creativity has also been hampered down by budget cuts and deadlines.

As much of a rocky road RE has been on, it’s impressive it has outlived its brethren horror IP’s and still flourishes today. That seems to be the conundrum with game developers these days; it has become too expensive to even make smaller games, so there is always risks involved. Creativity has also been hampered down by budget cuts and deadlines.
Agreed. I also think there was a time where there was an identity crisis, but RE:2 cured that. That's why I and a lot of others were surprised to see any other type of style of how RE:2 was received. Village in a lot of ways to me at least felt like a step back.

Yama

Owner
Agreed. I also think there was a time where there was an identity crisis, but RE:2 cured that. That's why I and a lot of others were surprised to see any other type of style of how RE:2 was received. Village in a lot of ways to me at least felt like a step back.
I've had the same thoughts and have been quite vocal about it. RE:2 was the one title just about everyone agreed on, yet we went a different route many times after. I do think however it's because these separate teams were already knees deep into these other projects. The future is likely much more unified and the DLC being third person lends itself to this idea.

I think RE2 is a good game, even if it wasn't like the original remake. But they did repeat too many things between both scenarios.

Now that the Winters story is going to be over following the DLC, I hope they focus on the OG characters, or bring in new characters again. I don't mind.

At the end of they day these are games meant to entertain people, so I will treat them as such. Outside of the original PS1 trilogy and REmake (which are near flawless experiences), I think every game shares their own positives and flaws. It really depends on who you are and what you want out of RE. They have definitely managed to balance horror and action much better in recent titles, but they need to stick to their guns and stop “listening to the fans.” Otherwise the franchise will derail back into identity crisis land again.

It will be interesting how they will handle RE9. But I personally can’t wait for them to move past this “Winter Family Saga” stuff and focus more on more traditional RE stories. Maybe they will actually address the dozen loose ends that have been seemingly abandoned.

Last edited:
One problem I had with RE7, is that it didn't really feel like much of a RE game until they began to mention Umbrella being involved. The rest of the game is basically you shooting an old guy and fungus with weapons that feel like plastic. If you play RE6 then 7, they don't even feel like they are in the same series as they are very different games altogether. Gameplay wise and the unrelated story.

7 is really Ethan's game. I feel like Chris was kind of tacked on near the end, so it could feel like it was definitely a RE game because a primary hero had returned. Because for the first time ever, it truly didn't really come across as one. But they messed up his character, so it was hard to swallow that you were playing Chris. In fact, him showing up and you playing as him feels forced and very arcade like. As if he was really just in the game for the fan appeal.

The plot in RE8 makes no real sense either. But meh. They've hopefully got better ideas lined up than "tall vampire babe" for the simps. LOL.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah ı watched this video before. I found it boring personally. All that horror talk makes me bored. Same thing with umbrella corps and re engine ( simulation ) direction which ı dont find interesting either.

Top Bottom