• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Lore Questions

I thought I'd make this post to make a quick place for answers to any questions about the series lore.

I have a question to start and was hoping someone could tell me:

Is it ever confirmed who activated the self destruct sequence during the Mansion Incident? I've seen a video during Chris's campaign where Rebecca is the one who says she found one and later activates it, and I'm replaying Jill's campaign to see, but does anyone know the canonicity of that given I'm sure Umbrella Chronicles probably changed that?

Thanks everyone!

I wonder about that myself. I also cannot recall who activates it in RE2 while you're in Birkin's lab. You just see Annette dying, and then the announcement sounds off. But that does strike me as being strange when nobody else was down there still alive, apart from Ada, Sherry, Claire, Leon, and Hunk.

I wonder about that myself. I also cannot recall who activates it in RE2 while you're in Birkin's lab. You just see Annette dying, and then the announcement sounds off. But that does strike me as being strange when nobody else was down there still alive, apart from Ada, Sherry, Claire, Leon, and Hunk.
For 2 I need to do some replays lol.

For the 1st game in REmake I got through Jill's campaign where Barry makes it alive to the lab and Wesker after being backhanded by the Tyrant his body disappears. Barry's dialogue later implies Wesker was the one to activate the self destruct sequence. In Umbrella Chronicles however, the way the scene plays out in Rebirth Chapter 1, the 2 possibilities are the Red Queen or Sergei Vladimir. Sergei certainly seems the type to want to protect Umbrella assets to this extent, and the Red Queen could have that as a function to also protect Umbrella assets such as data.

Nothing in the games makes much sense, to be honest. An example being that Ada must lose like 80% of her blood from being all torn up, yet still manages to provide Leon with a rocket launcher, like a magician pulling a white rabbit from a hat.

I didn't like how the remakes felt less unique than their original counterparts. Like how both characters must go to the gas station, or do the same puzzles. Really? Also, Mr. X was only supposed to follow you in the B scenario, but everything was radically trimmed, resulting in the gameplay feeling more or less identical, but with a lot of enemies missing. Because I recall Claire had to obtain stones for a passageway beyond Brian Iron's office, and Leon needed four chess piece shaped plugs for a different door in the sewers.

All Capcom really did was alter the solutions for some puzzles, like the one on the first floor balcony with the harp and arrow icons. I also think the large amount of backtracking you had to do was kind of done on purpose to artificially extend the length of some parts.

I just didn't think Capcom did the remake as well as they should have. It's not like they didn't have the time to not fuck it up either, because 1998 to 2019 is some gap between an original title and its reimagining.

That’s the biggest issue with the first two games is the canon debate and the RE:2 reimagining doesn’t do it any favors either. The mansion incident it’s either Rebecca or Wesker that activate the self destruct. It is implied that Sergei used Red Queen to steal the data from the lab but I am unsure if he does so in Chronicles or not my memory is fuzzy on that one.

I find it odd that there were never any photos or backstory to any of the other Wesker Children or whether any of them potentially faked their deaths and went into hiding. This could still be a possibility. Perhaps this could be expanded upon in RE:5. They could go into more detail on how exactly Uroboros was created since it’s mostly left ambiguous and that it’s a stronger strain of Progenitor. The fact that a vaccine was never produced shows that it remains one of the biggest threats to this day.

I think they enjoy making up things over there at Capcom, to be honest. It's like they knew if Albert Wesker were to be killed off, they'd be needing a replacement, especially if it could be another similar antagonist with his last name just for the hell of it. Because let's be honest. The villains we had thereafter were very stupid. :D

Yeah. I agree that having all the 'Wesker Children' form an army to bring forth their version of a doomsday would have been epic. But they soiled the bed again in terms of messing up their opportunities, because it seems we can write up better plot suggestions than Capcom does.

I have one, i was rewriting a resident evil fanfic and i came to this weird conclusion rereading the lore. Uroboros doesn't work the way people think it does. i wanted to know if people agree with my theory.

Is it possible that Uroboros works by creating a new organ within the body, which carries no host dna, and parasitizes host resources in return for producing progenitor biochemical compounds? this would mean that it has no overall effect on Host DNA and is closer to Las Plagas and real life mitochondria than a traditional virus.

You could try looking on the RE wiki.

Is it possible that Uroboros works by creating a new organ within the body, which carries no host dna, and parasitizes host resources in return for producing progenitor biochemical compounds? this would mean that it has no overall effect on Host DNA and is closer to Las Plagas and real life mitochondria than a traditional virus.

The Kaitai Shinsho guidebook describes the living "spaghetti" as "out-of-control hosts". In Excella's case, her cysts also absorbed "excessive nourishment and many genes" of the corpses to grow into a giant organism with the imagery of a tree.

The Uroboros Virus works in a somewhat similar way to the G-Virus: it rewrites host cells into cancer cells that absorb the rest of the host's tissues. Like a snake that swallows itself, ouroboros.

Here's one i've recently thought about. What was the point of the Mold, the B.O.W. Mold, and the Cadou all being different? where they intended to parallel the Progenitor directly? for instance how do we know that the reason Evelin makes molded is because she is a BOW when it could just be her being unexperienced and molded being the actual defensive mechanism for the mold colony.

was mother miranda trying to find another "mold adapter" to put her daughter into? if so why not just clone her clearly Eveline had comparable abilities. they also state that most people infected with the cadou die, was this the same with standard black god infection or was Miranda trying to avoid creating molded and knew of their existence.

does black mold infection usually result in death and resource absorption (like carnivorous plants) or was the cadou meant to specifically weed out the weak. if so does that mean that mold adaptors are effectively unlocking higher "administrator privileges" than normal people and thats what she was looking for?

so many questions.

Since ancient times, a colony of mold referred to as "mycorrhiza" (菌根) has decomposed animal and plant tissues using haustorium-like organs. When Eva passed away and was buried, the mold reached her body through the soil and decomposed it, transferring genes and consciousness, which were eventually dissolved within the center structure. So Miranda's plan was plain and simple: she needed to find an adapter to transfer her daughter's consciousness into this body via a ritual so that it would regenerate.

The first steps of Miranda's research were parenteral infection. She used a basic syringe to inoculate people with mold. Some people's bodies rejected this fungus and died, while others adapted but turned into senseless monsters. Sure, Miranda could have used any of these mutants as a "vessel", but it would have been an unefficient "vessel", so the progress she made by infecting several hundred people wasn't satisfactory.

Trying to figure out her next steps, Miranda came up with the idea of creating a biological vector that could increase efficiency in question. She used a roundworm and, by integrating the mold genome into it, engineered an organism that can adhere to human nervous tissues and produce mold to cause infection. Most people also either died or turned into monsters, but Miranda managed to create semi-compatible cases that became lords.

Trying to go further, she started cloning her daughter. This is evident in the Japanese version of Miranda's diary, where she mentions that she gave The Connections Eva's embryo, not her DNA. Although the game doesn't explain how Miranda created the embryo, it's not hard to imagine that she found an oocyte donor in the village and replaced its nucleus with another one with Eva's genetic material from mycorrhiza. Miranda could have tried to create a biological vector with a human embryo instead of a roundworm, but reached a dead end because developing a bunch of cells into a complex functioning body is hard.

But The Connections found her and offered to assist in the research. Together they began to develop biological vectors by trial and error. Before Eveline was created, there were many girls with bodily deformities and other developmental issues, but even Evie had congenital chromosomal defects that caused her to age 25 times faster than usual. This was ultimately the reason why Miranda decided that the girl wasn't a suitable "vessel".

The mold that Eveline produced is 0.05% genetically different from the Eastern European mold. This mycelium is an extension of the girl herself and stored her genes and consciousness. And only this particular type can create Molded, most likely due to Evie's genetic defects. Instead of gradually replacing the human cellular structure, the fungus does a rush and harsh job, making a human merely a shadow of their former self.

The fact that the Cadou parasite and Eveline were created through the integration of the mold genome is evident by their designs as well:

Vectors.png

The Romanian word cadou means "gift", and Eveline gave gifts to people by infecting them, so these vectors are connected by a common idea at various levels.

Since ancient times, a colony of mold referred to as "mycorrhiza" (菌根) has decomposed animal and plant tissues using haustorium-like organs. When Eva passed away and was buried, the mold reached her body through the soil and decomposed it, transferring genes and consciousness, which were eventually dissolved within the center structure. So Miranda's plan was plain and simple: she needed to find an adapter to transfer her daughter's consciousness into this body via a ritual so that it would regenerate.

The first steps of Miranda's research were parenteral infection. She used a basic syringe to inoculate people with mold. Some people's bodies rejected this fungus and died, while others adapted but turned into senseless monsters. Sure, Miranda could have used any of these mutants as a "vessel", but it would have been an unefficient "vessel", so the progress she made by infecting several hundred people wasn't satisfactory.

Trying to figure out her next steps, Miranda came up with the idea of creating a biological vector that could increase efficiency in question. She used a roundworm and, by integrating the mold genome into it, engineered an organism that can adhere to human nervous tissues and produce mold to cause infection. Most people also either died or turned into monsters, but Miranda managed to create semi-compatible cases that became lords.

Trying to go further, she started cloning her daughter. This is evident in the Japanese version of Miranda's diary, where she mentions that she gave The Connections Eva's embryo, not her DNA. Although the game doesn't explain how Miranda created the embryo, it's not hard to imagine that she found an oocyte donor in the village and replaced its nucleus with another one with Eva's genetic material from mycorrhiza. Miranda could have tried to create a biological vector with a human embryo instead of a roundworm, but reached a dead end because developing a bunch of cells into a complex functioning body is hard.

But The Connections found her and offered to assist in the research. Together they began to develop biological vectors by trial and error. Before Eveline was created, there were many girls with bodily deformities and other developmental issues, but even Evie had congenital chromosomal defects that caused her to age 25 times faster than usual. This was ultimately the reason why Miranda decided that the girl wasn't a suitable "vessel".

The mold that Eveline produced is 0.05% genetically different from the Eastern European mold. This mycelium is an extension of the girl herself and stored her genes and consciousness. And only this particular type can create Molded, most likely due to Evie's genetic defects. Instead of gradually replacing the human cellular structure, the fungus does a rush and harsh job, making a human merely a shadow of their former self.

The fact that the Cadou parasite and Eveline were created through the integration of the mold genome is evident by their designs as well:

View attachment 2256

The Romanian word cadou means "gift", and Eveline gave gifts to people by infecting them, so these vectors are connected by a common idea at various levels.
so does that mean that rosemary's strain of the mold, through genetic modification have become a theoretically more potent variant or did the connections actually achieve their goal but were missing a vital part they didn't consider? if the latter is it that rosemary naturally conceived or that miranda brought her to the Black God? because if it is the latter it means that the black god may have been the one assisting ethan, not because rosemary commanded it to but so that "IT" could "download" itself into her.

i mean realistically there's what like 8 kinds of mutants in the village, all mutated into similar creatures by specific means. if it perceived her more or less as "IT's" offspring, a spore of a new colony it might have downloaded defense mechanisms into her as a baby including the data to turn people into lycans, Varcoloi, and every other unique mutant in it's environment. this would explain miranda surviving, her personality was likely there as a test and her father's to help her, the mold wants her to survive and spread it. meanwhile the other lords are no where to be seen, but that doesn't mean it probably couldn't give new people their abilities.

When Miranda fused Rosemary through mycorrhiza, the girl became "tuned" with it, but there is no sign of genetic alteration. Rose wasn't a clone and wasn't artificially developed. She was conceived by an adapter, developed naturally and inherited Evie's genes through vertical gene transfer. She has a proper metabolism, which is why she is special.

Mycorrhiza itself is not sentient and cannot nudge anyone. Yes, it is a living organism that integrates sensory information and changes behavior, but it barely differs from Sarton's Plant 42 in terms of intelligence. The reason why it was treated like a demiurge is because of magical thinking: when a person relies only on empirical data, without knowing theoretical science, they may think that this is a magic mushroom that creates sorcerers, fabled wolves, and so on. Village as a whole has a huge emphasis on how things are not as they seem, thus recalling Arthur C. Clarke's third rule.

All the mutants from the village were infected with either mold directly from mycorrhiza or mold from the Cadou parasite, but these molds are interchangeable. They carry the same genes that mycorrhiza horizontally transferred, decomposing tissues in the ecosystem, so the mutants are very similar. Their variability is related to the hosts themselves and epigenetics. But like I said, since there is no evidence in the game that mycorrhiza has genetically affected Rosemary, there is no sign that the girl can mold such mutants. On the other hand, the Duke had obtained a sample of the Cadou parasite and could sell it to anyone.

Speaking about Miranda's consciousness within the mycorrhiza, Takano explained that her cells escaped to this colony when the body was collapsing. Since Miranda had saved Ethan's blood sample for research prior to that, Winters and Eveline ended up there as well. We didn't see any lord in the realm because their physical bodies were 100% destroyed.

Top Bottom