• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:4 Island confirmed

Funny. The island segment is just so drab and it feels there that developers were going out of steam. Also Mike with his helicopter. When I replay this game, the island it's the least part of the game I look forward to replaying.

Yama

Owner
Funny. The island segment is just so drab and it feels there that developers were going out of steam. Also Mike with his helicopter. When I replay this game, the island it's the least part of the game I look forward to replaying.
Likewise, though for me a lot of it is the tonal shift. The upbeat infiltration music and such throws it off even more for me. If there was a bigger focus on the labs and regenerators this time around, I'd much prefer it.

Likewise, though for me a lot of it is the tonal shift. The upbeat infiltration music and such throws it off even more for me. If there was a bigger focus on the labs and regenerators this time around, I'd much prefer it.
As I've said before in a different thread, the island does have its place in the story. We can't forget that the Los Illuminados were planning a "Plan B" invasion with assault weapons and warships had they failed to deliver back Ashley "safe and sound" for infiltration. Whether people like the plot point is another discussion, but that's what the game was showing through its environment and storytelling and I don't think they should remove it unless they can come up with something way better. I can do without the locations on the island with the trenches for gameplay reasons. Still, the final chapters should probably stay a bit more militaristic if we're still going that route. Labs won't just cut it.

RE4-6 were always more military focused, so stripping that all away entirely would not fit the themes and plots of those games. Let’s take an RE:5 for example; Wesker wouldn’t have surrounded himself with unstable bioweapons such as zombies to defend himself to carry out a world ending plan. This same thing applies to RE:4 and what exactly Saddler was intending to do by infecting the world with the Plaga. RE has it’s roots in survival horror, but it had to branch out in order to survive.

I would definitely like the gun toeing enemies toned down however, as people mentioned, so the developers can focus on more creative endeavors.

Last edited:
RE4-6 were always more military focused, so stripping that all away entirely would not fit the themes and plots of those games. Let’s take an RE:5 for example; Wesker wouldn’t have surrounded himself with unstable bioweapons such as zombies to defend himself to carry out a world ending plan. This same thing applies to RE:4 and what exactly Saddler was intending to do by infecting the world with the Plaga. RE has it’s roots in survival horror, but it had to branch out in order to survive.

I would definitely like the gun toeing enemies toned down however, as people mentioned, so the developers can focus on more creative endeavors.
While I do agree with you that the bioweapons were meant to become more weaponized with more mass-produced tyrants and general creatures with intelligence eventually as the games went on, being concerned how a reimagined RE4 would affect the most uninspired sequel, plot-destroying parts of the entire Resident Evil series - both in lore and gameplay - should be no concern of the team that's actually trying to make a real Resident Evil game with core fundamentals.

RE5 is a shameless RE4-clone at best with cookie-cutter design, that completely drops the ball in the narrative department by destroying every plot thread with Wesker and Umbrella from the series up until that point. RE6 is so bad, I can't even take it too seriously, other than it happened via a focus group at Capcom doing a bukkake on a first-draft script of fan-fiction and it shouldn't of. The only way we should be talking about how RE4R would influence its direct sequels, is if this does so well, that it'll call for a complete reimagining of RE5 and RE6 to the point of total conceptual retcons, which is what a lot of the older fans have wanted for some time. This way, the series will finally have an even sense of design and quality consistency leading up to 7 from 4 and everything in between.

Wesker, his Umbrella and whatever organizations that are still at play during this time need the ending they, and the series, deserves. I too believe he would have a small army by that point, much like the Los Illuminados, but it doesn't have to result in multiple games lacking all subtly. The end of RE4 doesn't even compare to the lack of restraint RE5 and 6 have, ultimately.

Last edited:
So far, it looks like the SH2 remake is gonna be very faithful to the source material, and while RE4 has some changes, it also looks to be mostly the same. Although I must say it is a bit biased to change aspects of 2 and 3 loads, but then play it super safe with 4. I'm guessing that they know a lot lays on 4 being a commercial success again. So they want to keep it like the 2005 version.

Yama

Owner
As I've said before in a different thread, the island does have its place in the story. We can't forget that the Los Illuminados were planning a "Plan B" invasion with assault weapons and warships had they failed to deliver back Ashley "safe and sound" for infiltration. Whether people like the plot point is another discussion, but that's what the game was showing through its environment and storytelling and I don't think they should remove it unless they can come up with something way better. I can do without the locations on the island with the trenches for gameplay reasons. Still, the final chapters should probably stay a bit more militaristic if we're still going that route. Labs won't just cut it.
Of course, which is why I'd just like it re-worked a bit and more focus on other elements, not suggesting removal or zero focus. Let's also not forget Mikami came up with this plot in a week due to time constraints, he certainly would change things looking back at it and I have no issue with the remake taking some liberties. The original is in a perfect preserved state with the HD project being done, I'm fine with RE:4 having its own identity (though it seems fairly faithful thus far).

Top Bottom