• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Character Appearance

Do you hate or love the look of any given character in the Biohazard series? Share your opinions here. Just please be nice, and use this thread so other topics don't get derailed. Thanks!

The talk about appearances on the random thoughts thread wasn't derailing it due to it being specifically about people's miscellaneous thoughts about RE. But fine, I'll talk about what I think about each main characters appearances. Starting with Chris and Jill.

Chris:

RE1 '96: It's the first, so not much to really fairly complain about. Live Action actor looked fine for who he was supposed to be, but I'm glad they didn't carry this over in the next games. The result screen "realistic" look looked dumb. 4/10

RE2: Basically Chris from the previous game, but with better graphics. Not much to say here. 5/10

RECV: Very anime inspired. The nineties hair is strong with this one. Kinda charming in a way, but I can see why they ditched it in Remake and after. His in game model looks better than his FMV design. This Chris has the most visible blue eyes out of them all, so the connection with Claire's the most visible it has ever been too. 7/10

Remake: The now "definitive" 90's era Chris. His face is what I consider to be Chris, 100%. All of the other models after him are based off of this face, which is quite special. Basically an updated, better looking, RE1 Chris. A good revamp. Classic. 8/10

UC: Basically Remake Chris but in winter gear. They could have done better to show that this Chris was 5 years older that 90's era Chris. Overall fine. 6/10

RE5: This Chris is the Chris that immediately comes to mind when I picture "Chris Redfield". And apparently it was and still is what Capcom considers his most marketable design, given how many times it's shown up in their products when they need to show Chris. I personally like his hairstyle here, it's like a combination between his spiky "OG classic" hair and his newer Remake hair. And his new muscles make perfect sense with the story and his character. A hallmark of Chris Redfield designs. 9/10

Rev: Not a big fan of his wetsuit. I don't know, something about it makes him look slightly ungainly in it. Maybe it's the life jacket on top of it. I also don't get the headphones. He has access to a regular ear piece. Jill, Parker, and Jessica have them in their wetsuit outfits, why does Chris need huge radio headphones? 5/10

RE6: Not much changed from 5. Easily inspired by his 5 design. New hairstyle is ok, I would have preferred if they had just stuck with his hair from 5 (especially since he had this hair but the same clothes in MD). His muscles are smaller here, due to laying off the intense training, which make sense. But they haven't just evaporated into thin air and compliment his strength based fighting style still. A nitpick, but I'm still not too big on the color of his China outfit. Too blue leaning for my taste, along with Chris' traditional color being more of a hunter green. Overall, it fits his more matured, responsible leader, type character direction. 8/10

Vendetta: I like his armor and clothes here. I kinda wish he had had these clothes in 6. The raised semi shoulder guards are a nice touch. His face is not greatest. Something just seems off with it. It's tolerable, but it stands out, and not in a good way. Also could have used more muscle definition too here. His arms look way too smooth. 6/10

The guy desperately trying to pretend he's Chris Redfield from 7: Atrocious. Simply atrocious. What the fuck were they thinking? There is nothing about this design that says "Chris Redfield". From the black/near complete black HCFesque getup, combed down blonde hair, weird angular features, the insanely slimmed down body to where he looks like he's never even went to a gym in over ten years, the twenty something looking face, the green and brown hazel eyes, nothing. This guy looks like HUNK's brother or son instead of Chris Redfield. There is nothing I like in this design. This was a travesty, let us never see this thing again. 0/10

Jill:

RE1 '96: The first again, so not much to say. Weird that they got a blond actress to play her in the live action segments. Another weird thing is that she originally had long hair that she tucked into her beret. A neat quirk, but I'm glad they replaced this with her now iconic bob haircut instead. It fits with her attitude and look at this time better. 6/10

RE3: An iconic design the butt of many jokes made about 3. Even though we all know the real reason she's wearing this is for fanservice, I think the design's good. The tied sweater around her waist is a nice touch that I'm glad has been kept over the many years of "revisioning" of 3's stories and events. 8/10

Remake: A better, updated RE1 Jill. The quintessential Jill look in my eyes. Julia Voth is best face for Jill, hands down. Bring her back Capcom. Or at least find someone who's beautiful like her to be Jill's face model. 9/10

UC: It's ok. Not the worst design, but not the best. Don't know why her bottom zipper track is broken like that, as that's always bother me about this design. Or why they decided to add purple into the jacket along with blue. She also shares the same problem as Chris' design in this game of not really looking 5 years older. 5/10

Lost in Nightmares: A great callback and update to Jill's STARS outfit to fit her BSAA job. Also what I consider as the Jill Valentine design. I love the touch of the baseball cap, again, a call back to her old beret. I like Jill with long hair here. Her design here really compliments it. 9/10

RE5: I like the blond hair, as she still looks beautiful with or without brunette hair. It has a story reason for being there, so it makes sense. I'd prefer if it was permanent and was kept in her next appearance, whenever that is. It serves a mark of all she's been through and overcome, it would be a really bad call for them to get rid of it. Same with the scar. Don't know why they put her in purple here. I don't think it goes well with her. It just seems like a weird decision. All in all, I like it. Second to her BSAA design and Remake design. 8/10

Rev: What did they do to your faaacce?! Her lips look terrible, like a bad botox surgery. The rest of her face isn't great, but tolerable. But it's the lips that are worst part about it all. I like her wetsuit, it's a nice mix of dark blue, light blue, and black. I want to fully like this design, but it's her face that holds everything back. 5/10

ORC: The worst Jill design. Her face is even worse than her Revelations one. She looks like a frog. It's bad. Really bad. But at least I can still tell it's Jill and she still looks the age she's supposed to. Which is more than I can say for other designs. Abysmal. 4/10

Edit: R3make: This is probably tied with ORC in my least favorite Jill design. Her face looks too young for who she's supposed to be and her outfit looks too generic, basic "strong female protagonist". Say what you will about the tube top and miniskirt, but at least it's unique and you know immediately where that character comes from. 4/10

Last edited:

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker

Yet you can still see how much Remake, 5 and 6 Chris are pretty much the same thing lol We also have to take into account some slight differences due to RE5 and 6 having more facial expressions and overall more realistic and better visuals. Facial structure, chin, jawline, ears... How the fuck can people still say that RE5 Chris looks nothing like Chris from Remake? o_O

As soon as I saw the trailers I could already see how much Chris got older and more mature. It is called aging lol

The comments there that caught my attention the most:

" It's the same people who complain about women being too feminine and sexy, who complain about men being too masculine, they want everyone to be 'in-betweeners' like them."

This pretty much sums up the entirety of the RE5 whiners.

Anyway, indeed, not to mention that Chris had a ton of years to achieve that physique. As someone who has been working out for years now, I can guarantee that you really don't have a clue on how much you can change with the proper training plan.

I know it is a videogame but Chris' arms were already well defined in the Remake, which means that he always had the genetics to achieve such physique.

The example I like to give is Henry Cavill, that dude is freakin huge and he's probably not bigger because he doesn't want to.

With Chris' genetics, if he kept pumping that iron for years and years, 6 to 7 days a week and keeping a balanced diet... Are you still sure he couldn't really get that big? LMAO These people really have no clue about bodybuilding and most of these skinny ass gamers are quick to jump into the steroid bandwagon because of the simple fact that they aren't capable of doing anything else outside of playing videogames. AND I'm not even mentioning Chris' martial arts training, given he's extremely fast and agile in RE5, it is 100% guaranteed that Chris kept training his Kickboxing, Judo etc

Barry even indirectly calls Chris a training addict in Revelations 2, which indicates that Chris took his training to the extreme for years until Wesker's death.

"lol there is a small group of people who are utterly convinced that 7 chris looks literally just like remake chris, it's odd."

Very odd LOL

But again, they probably only say that he looks like Remake Chris just because his face looks thinner and more of a crack addict hahah

These fans are seriously a joke.

As I say, you can gain and lose muscles but you can't change your facial traits... Ever.

RE 7's Chris looks a lot like Hunk ( only the mouth and chin look different from one another). It almost makes me think they mixed Wesker and Hunk faces to create RE 7 Chris ( but we know everything came from photogrammetry though )

@Broke: The reason RE7 Chris looks like HUNK is because of laziness on Capcom's part of just grabbing the nearest white man around.

Woke: HUNK is actually Chris & Claire's father, which is why they all look similar and this twist is going to be revealed in RE8.

In seriousness though along with another topic, I don't like how they've been seemingly fazing out Claire's association with pink in her costumes. Especially in her RE2 design with the Remake. The pink is supposed to be a symbol of her feminine qualities and caring nature, which was at its biggest during RE2. And it complemented her personality of being strong yet kind. And the red afterwards in CV, Rev 2, and HI made sense as instead of a college student who stumbled into a horror game, she's now actively combating danger and being action focused.

It's probably just me, but something tells me they switched colors because the idea of having a female character who predominately wears pink would be considered too "stereotypical" and "sexist" in this backwards social climate of oversensitive dumbasses. But that's just a theory.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Ranking character designs from best to worst:

Chris

1. Re6 and marhawa desire

2. Re5 and re5 lin

3. Remake

4. Darkside chronicles

5. Recv

6. Re2 extreme battle mode

7. Vendetta

8. Umbrella chronicles and prelude to the fall

9. Re1 live action

10. Rerev

11. Biohazard the stage

12. Re1

9999999. Re7

Claire

1. Darkside chronicles

2. Re2 and re2 remake

3. Recv

4. Degeneration, rerev2 and heavenly island

Sherry

1. Re6

2. Darkside chronicles and re2 remake

3. Re2

Leon

1. Re6

2. Damnation

3. Darkside chronicles

4. Re2 remake

5. Re4

6. Vendetta

7. Re2

8. Degeneration

Ada

1. Re6

2. Damnation

3. Umbrella and darkside chronicles

4. Re2 remake

5. Re4

6. Re2

Barry

1. Rerev2

2. Remake and re5 mercenaries reunion

3. Re1 live action

4. Re1

Wesker

1. Re5

2. Recv and darkside chronicles

3. Re4, umbrella chronicles and prelude to the fall

4. Remake and re0

5. Re1 live action

6. Re1

Jill

1. Remake

2. Re5 lin

3. Re5

4. Umbrella chronicles and prelude to the fall

5. Umbrella chronicles re3 section

6. Re3

7. Re1 live action

8. Re1

9. Rerev

Last edited:

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
Chris

Best: RE6

Worst: RE7

Jill

Best: Unlockable RE3 outfit in Remake

Worst: Revelations

Leon

Best: A tie between RE4 and RE6

Worst: Degeneration

Claire

Best: Darkside Chronicles

Worst: RE2 Remake

Ada

Best: RE6

Worst: RE2

Last edited:

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
The talk about appearances on the random thoughts thread wasn't derailing it due to it being specifically about people's miscellaneous thoughts about RE. But fine, I'll talk about what I think about each main characters appearances. Starting with Chris and Jill.

Chris:

RE1 '96: It's the first, so not much to really fairly complain about. Live Action actor looked fine for who he was supposed to be, but I'm glad they didn't carry this over in the next games. The result screen "realistic" look looked dumb. 4/10

RE2: Basically Chris from the previous game, but with better graphics. Not much to say here. 5/10

RECV: Very anime inspired. The nineties hair is strong with this one. Kinda charming in a way, but I can see why they ditched it in Remake and after. His in game model looks better than his FMV design. This Chris has the most visible blue eyes out of them all, so the connection with Claire's the most visible it has ever been too. 7/10

Remake: The now "definitive" 90's era Chris. His face is what I consider to be Chris, 100%. All of the other models after him are based off of this face, which is quite special. Basically an updated, better looking, RE1 Chris. A good revamp. Classic. 8/10

UC: Basically Remake Chris but in winter gear. They could have done better to show that this Chris was 5 years older that 90's era Chris. Overall fine. 6/10

RE5: This Chris is the Chris that immediately comes to mind when I picture "Chris Redfield". And apparently it was and still is what Capcom considers his most marketable design, given how many times it's shown up in their products when they need to show Chris. I personally like his hairstyle here, it's like a combination between his spiky "OG classic" hair and his newer Remake hair. And his new muscles make perfect sense with the story and his character. A hallmark of Chris Redfield designs. 9/10

Rev: Not a big fan of his wetsuit. I don't know, something about it makes him look slightly ungainly in it. Maybe it's the life jacket on top of it. I also don't get the headphones. He has access to a regular ear piece. Jill, Parker, and Jessica have them in their wetsuit outfits, why does Chris need huge radio headphones? 5/10

RE6: Not much changed from 5. Easily inspired by his 5 design. New hairstyle is ok, I would have preferred if they had just stuck with his hair from 5 (especially since he had this hair but the same clothes in MD). His muscles are smaller here, due to laying off the intense training, which make sense. But they haven't just evaporated into thin air and compliment his strength based fighting style still. A nitpick, but I'm still not too big on the color of his China outfit. Too blue leaning for my taste, along with Chris' traditional color being more of a hunter green. Overall, it fits his more matured, responsible leader, type character direction. 8/10

Vendetta: I like his armor and clothes here. I kinda wish he had had these clothes in 6. The raised semi shoulder guards are a nice touch. His face is not greatest. Something just seems off with it. It's tolerable, but it stands out, and not in a good way. Also could have used more muscle definition too here. His arms look way too smooth. 6/10

The guy desperately trying to pretend he's Chris Redfield from 7: Atrocious. Simply atrocious. What the fuck were they thinking? There is nothing about this design that says "Chris Redfield". From the black/near complete black HCFesque getup, combed down blonde hair, weird angular features, the insanely slimmed down body to where he looks like he's never even went to a gym in over ten years, the twenty something looking face, the green and brown hazel eyes, nothing. This guy looks like HUNK's brother or son instead of Chris Redfield. There is nothing I like in this design. This was a travesty, let us never see this thing again. 0/10

Jill:

RE1 '96: The first again, so not much to say. Weird that they got a blond actress to play her in the live action segments. Another weird thing is that she originally had long hair that she tucked into her beret. A neat quirk, but I'm glad they replaced this with her now iconic bob haircut instead. It fits with her attitude and look at this time better. 6/10

RE3: An iconic design the butt of many jokes made about 3. Even though we all know the real reason she's wearing this is for fanservice, I think the design's good. The tied sweater around her waist is a nice touch that I'm glad has been kept over the many years of "revisioning" of 3's stories and events. 8/10

Remake: A better, updated RE1 Jill. The quintessential Jill look in my eyes. Julia Voth is best face for Jill, hands down. Bring her back Capcom. Or at least find someone who's beautiful like her to be Jill's face model. 9/10

UC: It's ok. Not the worst design, but not the best. Don't know why her bottom zipper track is broken like that, as that's always bother me about this design. Or why they decided to add purple into the jacket along with blue. She also shares the same problem as Chris' design in this game of not really looking 5 years older. 5/10

Lost in Nightmares: A great callback and update to Jill's STARS outfit to fit her BSAA job. Also what I consider as the Jill Valentine design. I love the touch of the baseball cap, again, a call back to her old beret. I like Jill with long hair here. Her design here really compliments it. 9/10

RE5: I like the blond hair, as she still looks beautiful with or without brunette hair. It has a story reason for being there, so it makes sense. I'd prefer if it was permanent and was kept in her next appearance, whenever that is. It serves a mark of all she's been through and overcome, it would be a really bad call for them to get rid of it. Same with the scar. Don't know why they put her in purple here. I don't think it goes well with her. It just seems like a weird decision. All in all, I like it. Second to her BSAA design and Remake design. 8/10

Rev: What did they do to your faaacce?! Her lips look terrible, like a bad botox surgery. The rest of her face isn't great, but tolerable. But it's the lips that are worst part about it all. I like her wetsuit, it's a nice mix of dark blue, light blue, and black. I want to fully like this design, but it's her face that holds everything back. 5/10

ORC: The worst Jill design. Her face is even worse than her Revelations one. She looks like a frog. It's bad. Really bad. But at least I can still tell it's Jill and she still looks the age she's supposed to. Which is more than I can say for other designs. Abysmal. 4/10
Good analysis Herb. Do you think you'll review other character designs in the future?

Wesker:

RE1 ‘96: It’s meh. Has a narm factor in how his live action actor has crayon yellow hair. But it’s fine. 5/10

CV: An improvement from RE1. Dark and sinister, sets the visual representation of him now being an agent for some evil organisation The only negative I can think of is that it’s maybe a little too dark so you can’t easily make out the different parts of his outfit. 8/10

Remake: The best and quintessential version of RE1 era Wesker. The new, added details of his special radio and harness are a great touch. The black and navy look really well together and fits his character with the color theory. 8/10

RE0: Same as Remake, so really the same points about Remake. 8/10

RE4: Sleek and stylish. Fits his role in the story of being a boss ordering his cronies to do his dirty work. turtlenecks look really good on him. 7/10

UC: I liked his trenchcoat at the beginning of Dark Legacy. Shame that he discarded it for no real reason. Waste of a perfectly good coat. Underneath the coat he’s basically RE4 Wesker, so there’s nothing to really discuss more here. Wish he had a little something new to make it more unique. 6/10

DC: Same as his CV outfit, but more visible when it comes to making out his vest and pouches. An improvement based off that. Gets a mark off for having the wrong eyes at the end though. 6/10

RE5: His best and most marketable design in the series. It’s suave. It’s bold and chic. And do I even have to talk about the duster and badass it looks as he’s fighting both in-game and cutscenes? The gold details and accents sprinkled throughout the outfit add a cherry on top of the whole ensemble. Wesker looks at his absolute best and greatest in this game and they really went all out in making look splendid for his final outing in the series. 9/10

Chris:

1. RE6 (both)
2. RE7
3. RE5
4. REmake
5. RE UC (Umbrella's End)
6. Rev 1
7. RE CV
8. Vendetta
9 RE1
10. RE2

Jill:
1. REmake
2. RE3 remake
3. RE5 BSAA outfit
4. RE UC (Umbrella's End)
5. Rev 1
6. RE5 Battle dress
7. Hooker Jill from the original RE3

Claire:
1. RE2 remake
2. Rev 2
3. RE Degeneration
4. RE2 original
5. Rev 2 sniper outfit
6. RE CV

Leon:
1. RE4 (without that awful jacket)
2. RE6 China
3. RE2 remake
4. RE2 original
5. Vendetta
6. Damnation
7. Degeneration
8. RE6 Tall Oaks
9. Gaiden
10. RE4 jacket

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
You know what? I might as well do a character design ranking similar to Mert's and Dark Chris'.

Chris

1. RE6
2. Darkside Chronicles
3. RE5 Lost in Nightmares
4. RE5
5. RECV
6. Remake
7. RE2
8. Vendetta
9. Revelations
10. RE1
11. RE7

Jill

1. Unlockable RE3 outfit in Remake
2. Remake
3. RE3
4. RE5 Lost in Nightmares and RE3 Remake
5. RE1
6. RE5 Blonde Jill
7. Revelations

Leon

1. RE4 and RE6
2. Damnation
3. Darkside Chronicles
4. RE2 Remake
5. RE2
6. Vendetta
7. Degeneration

Claire

1. Darkside Chronicles
2. Degeneration
3. RE2 and RECV
4. Revelations 2
5. RE2 Remake

Ada

1. RE6
2. Damnation
3. RE4
4. Darkside Chronicles and RE2 Remake
5. RE2

Last edited:
In design terms simple is best, so I have to vote for the classic concepts in RE1-2-3 all the way. Everything after loses the charm and it's covered with straps and buckles. The costumes should go back to looking like actual 90s wardrobe straight out of Jurassic Park and Cliffhanger.

Claire;

RE2 1998: Classic. Fits her biker chick aesthetic as well as being appropriately nineties. A great look, but her updated version in DSC is better. 8/10

CV: Iconic. The use of red fits her more action oriented role in the game. This was the game that sealed Claire as being auburn haired and I thank Capcom for that decision. 9/10

Degeneration: Not bad, a good updated look for Claire. The mauve turtleneck and white jacket are quite snappy on her. She's definitely the better looking of the two protagonists in this movie. The only thing that I find bad about is her shade of hair. It looks down right magenta in this movie and it looks odd as hell. 7/10

DSC: The best designs of Claire in the whole series. Both designs were updated amazingly. The new additions to her RE2 outfit like the cowboy boots, the sunglasses, and the denim color of the shorts work astonishingly well at getting the feel of her old design across while updating it to fit with a more modern style. Her CV design also works as it is pretty much the same, only with better graphics and a change in material for her vest. When I think Claire Redfield, these two designs pop up in my head. 10/10

Rev2: It is okay. Her face is the most questionable out of the whole design. It just look right to me (what is it with the Rev series and screwing up the returning female characters faces??). The rest of the first part's outfit is fine. the second half is the most standout since it is the first time we have ever seen Claire with short hair. I don't think I'm fond of the look, at least not when paired with that face. But the long sleeve shirt is nice and different. 6/10

HI: Not bad at all. The return of the sleeveless vest for Claire is welcome. She actually looks like Claire in the manga unlike her REv2 look. Claire looks astonishingly better with short hair here. She looks great, not my favorite look but still good. 7/10

RE2 2019: Worst look for Claire bar none. She looks like a 14 year old. They reverted back to plain brown hair, which although is what she had in her OG RE2 look still doesn't feel right since she has spent the past decades as an auburn. Far too modern for a game set in the 90's. Far too red for first game retelling when her wearing pink is supposed to be symbolic of her caring nature in this story. You can barely make out her Queen insignia on her jacket. And it's too similar to her Rev2 outfit. And changing her undershirt to a tanktop instead of a skinsuit is a special kind of aggravation. The only thing I can really say I like is the new design of the Made in Heaven angel (not that you can see 98% of the time). 4/10

In design terms simple is best, so I have to vote for the classic concepts in RE1-2-3 all the way. Everything after loses the charm and it's covered with straps and buckles. The costumes should go back to looking like actual 90s wardrobe straight out of Jurassic Park and Cliffhanger.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Those designs worked since the characters then were unprepared, new to the concepts of bioterrorism, and fit the timeframe. Now it would just look weird for characters in their middle to late 40's wearing clothes straight out of the nineties. And the tactical gear makes sense since they're part of organizations that actively fight these monsters and have the resources of a small army. Logically they're going to look the part.

Simple clothes only really work for new civilian characters like Ethan or characters like Moira who get accidentally tossed into a biohazard or are a part of a non combat org like Terrasave.

Or they just have to write an underdog story about everyday people or one where prepared characters are caught out of their element. It is the horror genre after all. As for realism... I'll take visually pleasing over reality any day. Give me lame primary coloured stab vests and scrap the desaturated military bro stuff.

Top Bottom