• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Resistance Capcom Producer Responds to Concerns About New Resident Evil Game

Capcom’s new Resident Evil game called Project Resistance was recently revealed to the world during Tokyo Game Show after a select few had already gotten the chance to play it. While many people are willing to give Capcom a chance to try out something new with the asymmetrical multiplayer game, some fans including Resident Evil purists have voiced their uncertainty about the game that deviates far from the typical zombie-filled formula. One of Capcom’s producer has responded to some of these concerns by saying it’s “totally valid” people would want a more classic take but that the company needs to branch out and explore other options.

Producer Matt Walker who served as a producer for Devil May Cry 5 shared a thread on Twitter on Thursday addressing some of the concerns Resident Evil fans have voiced after seeing the game’s reveal and its first details. Walker acknowledged desire from some people to see more gameplay in line with what was seen in the Resident Evil 2 remake and in Resident Evil 7 while offering a personal take on the situation.

“Been seeing a lot of people who are not pleased with the idea that we’re making Project Resistance,” the producer said. “It’s totally valid that people want more of that quality core experience offered in RE2 and RE7. My take- we as a company need to continue to branch out and try to offer up new gameplay in addition to refinding the experience people expect from us. If we just continue to offer up the same thing over and over again, people will gradually lose interest with what we’re making.”

Walker continued to say that the game is still a “great survival horror experience” even if it’s a non-traditional one. Pitting four players against one other player who throws obstacles and hazards in the survivors’ paths, it’s a game that’s somewhere between the traditional Resident Evil experience and games like Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th: The Game. Those who have already played the game have reportedly had positive responses.

Capcom is also listening to the feedback about the new project, Walker said, and will look to make adjustments accordingly to see it hopefully “grow from a project to a fantastic game.”

Project Resistance does not yet have a release date, but it will have a closed beta next month on October 4th.

(Sources: Twitter, comicbook.com)

Ha!

Going by all of that, you would think he was a novice that had never played any of the previous mainline entries, and never even worked on one.

I cannot believe Capcom gave this the go ahead. ☔

Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known As Mr. $miley
We already have RE8 and RE3 remake confirmed. A little multiplayer side game isn't going to delay the inevitable.

But the latter hasn't been officially confirmed by Capcom. As far as I know, it is just a rumour. I'm sure it's a giving, but I don't recall them announcing it.

Bandage131

Finger Lickerin' Good
Technically, RE8 isn't even "confirmed", it's just an obvious inevitability. But the fact that there are potentially two single player installments on the way does little to change the fact that the multiplayer games in the series, bar the first Outbreak, have been failures. Why Capcom seems intent on gaining a foothold in a market that it's obvious they can't even make a footstep in is just mind-boggling.

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Simply copying old ideas from games that aren't even that popular anymore won't work, the only multiplayer experience that was meant to fit in with RE classic gameplay was Outbreak, and it was good besides a few silly design choices. The only real problem was that it released a generation too early.

It's an in-between game, made by NeoBards Entertainment from Taiwan in collaboration with Capcom. RE8 and any remakes will come out at the same time if this happened or not.

If it had to be multiplayer and not an Outbreak game, I don't know why they don't try and make a fully featured game based on raid mode from Revelations 1 & 2. I still do Ghost Ship runs on PS3 Revelations and I can always find a partner quickly (which really says something after all these years).

Last edited:
I might be in the minority here but my issue isn't that this game exists, (in fact I welcome it), but more that it's not even remotely close to what it should be. That UI needs to go and many other aspects of the game need a big overhaul to the point where I'm not sure if it'll even change. Also curious just how much of the game is gonna be recycled from RE2. The concept of the game is leagues ahead of Umbrella Corps but it doesn't seem like NeoBards quite understands what makes RE so beloved when you look at the gameplay footage. Atmosphere is completely absent and there are tons of arcade like animations and colors, damage numbers, and more. All of this shouldn't be a thing in a RE game, even if it's a spinoff multiplayer title.

Yeah. This is like a Book of Memories game. I do not believe either series should have ended up the cash cows that they did over the years. But everything revolves around money, and I understand a business needs to thrive. But in doing so, many fans for both Capcom and Konami just get alienated by all of these bland, awful games. I hope this is the last crappy spin off they ever work on, but I have a feeling that they won't immediately learn, or they will go on a roll, and just lose all of that important momentum again. ?

Bandage131

Finger Lickerin' Good
Yeah. This is like a Book of Memories game. I do not believe either series should have ended up the cash cows that they did over the years. But everything revolves around money, and I understand a business needs to thrive. But in doing so, many fans for both Capcom and Konami just get alienated by all of these bland, awful games. I hope this is the last crappy spin off they ever work on, but I have a feeling that they won't immediately learn, or they will go on a roll, and just lose all of that important momentum again. ?

Won't "immediately" learn has already happened because this is the third time after ORC and Umbrella Corps.

Meh. At this point. I'm not going to get mad at Capcom. There's little point. We're all used to their money laundering tactics by now anyway. I'll maybe change my mind about them if the next sequel is everything we wanted. We all know why they focus on awful spin off games and remakes anyway. They've been struggling to come up with something fresh. 7: Biohazard was like an experiment to me, and it paid off for Capcom. It's still nothing like the older games. They really need to do something about Chris' dumb looks as well.

I wonder why they are still pushing for this whole online idea. Do these cheap spinoffs really make them enough revenue? At this stage surely they'd be better off releasing RE2 Extreme Battle mode DLC. Their logic is a mystery as usual.

Yeah, Mocata. I don't like their shooter-ish stuff either. I didn't like The Ghost Survivors at all. They should have made these proper side chapters to coincide with what was happening during the main game, instead of being garbage, run and mode, finish in 10 minutes crap. I'm a way story driven fan that considers the plot just as important as the gameplay, so I don't like games or extra modes that have no real purpose other than being a cash-grab title. Don't really like the idea of them giving Project Resistance a story to try to mask what is sadly looking like a bad game in general. Hopefully the single player mode is *NOTHING* like what we've seen up to this point, and it will end up being like a way more traditional RE game. But somehow, I doubt it.

Top Bottom