• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE0 About RE0.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
thumb-1920-671886.jpg

I wanted to create this thread after my thread about rerev games being considered as spinoffs.

Does re0 count as a mainline entry or a spinoff?

I used to think it's a mainline but now ı'm conflicted. I dont see why it wouldnt be considered a spinoff if rerev games are considered as one. I know it has a number but at the same time; it's a prequel and it's released after both re1 and remake.

Thoughts about this? It would also be appreciated if there's a dev quote that explains whether the game is mainline or spinoff.

I think the fact it's a prequel should be answer enough. Prequels are separate from spinoffs typically, and since the events lead directly into RE1, it's mainline. The Revelations games' stories are self-contained.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think the fact it's a prequel should be answer enough. Prequels are separate from spinoffs typically, and since the events lead directly into RE1, it's mainline. The Revelations games' stories are self-contained.
I dont see how re0 isnt self contained either though. Neither re1 nor remake feel connected to it. Umbrella chronicles yes but that's a spinoff and a new game all together.

Besides all re games are self contained anyway. Sure there are connections but you can start with the one you want and be just fine.

I started with re6 as my 1st re game and ı enjoyed its story for what it is without being aware of any negativity from the fanbase.

I dont see how re0 isnt self contained either though. Neither re1 nor remake feel connected to it.
The events in the beginning of 0 are directly connected to why the first Resident Evil begins. Bravo Team disappears, and Alpha Team goes searching for them. They then meet the surviving members of Bravo Team: Rebeeca, Richard, and Enrico. 0 explains how they went missing and how Rebecca got to the mansion. It also explains why Enrico is suspicious of his teammates, as he went into the facility to investigate.

Most of the games have references to events for the sake of continuity, but they may otherwise not usually feel like they are direct sequels, giving how there is a different sequence of occurrences.

Even in a city, so many characters are caught up in their own feuds, and the goal is of course the same. To escape!

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The events in the beginning of 0 are directly connected to why the first Resident Evil begins. Bravo Team disappears, and Alpha Team goes searching for them. They then meet the surviving members of Bravo Team: Rebeeca, Richard, and Enrico. 0 explains how they went missing and how Rebecca got to the mansion. It also explains why Enrico is suspicious of his teammates, as he went into the facility to investigate.
That's true but re1 and remake still dont feel connected to it unlike re0 which feels connected to those games. For example those 2 games dont have files that feel connected to re0's events. Like marcus isnt mentioned in one of those games' files unlike birkin and alexia that are mentioned in one of remake's files.

Also re0 doesnt explain how enrico went missing, he randomly appears on the same factory which appears in re2. There's also a geography mistake there along with that magic elevator. Enrico being suspicious of wesker makes sense due to investigating the facility but ıdk how he learned that, ı wished this was explained in a file or cutscene or something.

As for richard; he's only seen at the start of the game. He's never seen again. I dont feel like the game explores bravo team in depth but ı still dont mind it that much since ı enjoy rebecca and billy's chemistry.

Umbrella chronicles yes that feels connected to both re0 and its retelling. But ı dont think re1 and remake are.

The game also retcons the reason for the accident that happened in the mansion. Before re0, it was due to a random accident. Re0 changes that to queen leech causing that said accident as a revenge against umbrella rather than it being random. I actually dont mind this that much, ı enjoy marcus and his leeches but it's still a retcon even ı didnt believe to it at 1st due to being under the belief that the series had no plot holes or retcons.

Also re0 doesnt explain how enrico went missing,
It explains how the team went missing, not Enrico himself. They were investigating the area after their helicopter suffered a malfunction and they were forced to land.

As for richard; he's only seen at the start of the game. He's never seen again. I dont feel like the game explores bravo team in depth but ı still dont mind it that much since ı enjoy rebecca and billy's chemistry.
The game is meant to focus on Rebecca, as she is the only survivor of Bravo Team after the mansion incident, so more focus would be put on her. There is also the file in Resident Evil 2 where she misspelled Billy's name, so there is a connection to that game at least.

Re0 changes that to queen leech causing that said accident as a revenge against umbrella rather than it being random.
I thought the original reason was because they were performing surgery on the Tyrant, and it released an airborne strain of the epsilon strain?

he randomly appears on the same factory which appears in re2.
I don't think he did, I think the factory is a similar looking one. Having a cookie cutter mold of how they design their facilities is a way companies save money when designing new facilities, and my theory is that they have two facilities near each other, one under the Training Facility and one under Raccoon City.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It explains how the team went missing, not Enrico himself. They were investigating the area after their helicopter suffered a malfunction and they were forced to land.

The game is meant to focus on Rebecca, as she is the only survivor of Bravo Team after the mansion incident, so more focus would be put on her. There is also the file in Resident Evil 2 where she misspelled Billy's name, so there is a connection to that game at least.

I thought the original reason was because they were performing surgery on the Tyrant, and it released an airborne strain of the epsilon strain?

I don't think he did, I think the factory is a similar looking one. Having a cookie cutter mold of how they design their facilities is a way companies save money when designing new facilities, and my theory is that they have two facilities near each other, one under the Training Facility and one under Raccoon City.
It doesnt explain how the other members went missing either. It doesnt explain how kenneth or forest made it to the mansion for example, they somehow did. They are simply shown at the intro of the game and never again.

It explains what happened to edward which is nice but at the same time, they changed some things so that his hand isnt severed anymore. He's also not found in remake's intro, that's changed to kevin dooley being found rather than edward's hand like in og game. I wished he entered the train with one of his hands being missing, that would have been a great throwback to og game.

The file you're talking about is exclusive to re2's n64 version. ( Typo seems to be a localization issue since og japanese script lists billy's surname as " coen " rather than " koen " . ) That version has special files that references other re games. I believe re0 didnt came out at that time but n64 version of it was still in development. I like that version's files a lot which bothers me more that remake didnt do something like this. It's really odd to me that you can find a file that mentions marcus in birkin's lab but you cant find a file about him in remake even though there's a file which mentions birkin and alexia. Especially when marcus is one of the founders of umbrella.

Yes they were performing experiments but someone made a mistake and everyone suffered due to that. In re0 this is changed to the accident being caused by queen leech but they dont explain how he did that. It somehow happens. It's not even his leeches since you never find one in remake.

It's the same factory. Re0's main writer was sugimura who previously wrote re2, recv as well as survivor. At 1st, that location wasnt there from what ı've learned during the discussions with other people but apparently it seems to be added later on in the game's development. While it causes a geography issue, ı dont mind it since it's not that big deal and the reference is cool.

Last edited:
It doesnt explain how the other members went missing either.
It does, not exactly where they end up, but it explains why Alpha Team hasn't heard from them, which is what I meant when I said it explains how they went missing. It explains why Alpha Team has to go looking for them, and how Rebecca survived.
It's really odd to me that you can find a file that mentions marcus in birkin's lab but you cant find a file about him in remake even though there's a file which mentions birkin and alexia.
This can be explained by Spencer trying to erase Marcus' influence in the creation of the T-virus, so that he can say his part of the organization did it, and he can then take credit for it.

Yes they were performing experiments but someone made a mistake and everyone suffered due to that. In re0 this is changed to the accident being caused by queen leech but they dont explain how he did that. It somehow happens. It's not even his leeches
How about this: Queen Leech makes a smaller attack on the lab first, to test out its' abilities. It's small scale, and while it goes mostly unnoticed, it does result in a mistake during procedure, causing the virus to leak. Meaning it is Queen Leech's fault, but it still is a result of an accident caused by its' actions. Then time goes by, and after the mansion is totally overrun with B.O.W.s, Queen Leech then attacks the Training Facility and the Train.

It's the same factory. Re0's main writer was sugimura who previously wrote re2, recv as well as survivor. At 1st, that location wasnt there from what ı've learned during the discussions with other people but apparently it seems to be added later on in the game's development. While it causes a geography issue, ı dont mind it since it's not that big deal and the reference is cool.
Eh, it kind of bugs me, but I'll stick to my head canon that it's a different one. That clears it up for me.

I haven't played RE0 in probably more than 18 years, despite still owning a copy on the GameCube.

When I was a teenager, I was always doing back to back runs of a lot of survival horror games that came out around that period. Then I just gave up interest.

I do from time to time, dig out an old classic such as RE2 or 3. But I think 0 kind of drags after the train derailment section. I mean, you feel like you're doing nothing but backtracking for several hours. But one plus is that you had leech zombies coming after you. They were terrifying. Just like the Crimson Heads.

RE needs enemies like that again. The Regenerators in RE4 were a great addition as well.

It feels more like filler at this point since the major plot moves at a snails pace and doesn’t have any real meat to it like RE1. I mean the game is downright beautiful but the character development is almost non-existent and any sort of growth that Rebecca and Billy go through is cast to the wayside when the game is over. Rebecca being able to take down a Tyrant and wield a magnum that would blow her on her ass but then can’t fend off one Hunter was pretty hilarious to me.

The backstory about Marcus and Wesker/Birkin’s history were the best parts to me; it added symbolism to their stories as what goes around comes around. Karma bite them in the ass in the end for what they did to Marcus. However, the leeches were boring like the molded in RE7. They used to be scary back in the day but they are now one of my least favorite enemies next to the broken apes that take more hits than a Hunter.

So while it’s mainline I feel it’s skippable. You can go through all of RE1-6 and won’t be missing out on much.

Last edited:
I think CV is very underrated, as is 0. I think they gave an abundance of atmosphere. People may consider them too slow paced, but they are definitely horror.

RE4 infested action into the series and I think that alienated people. I do think it's a good action game. But it is not scary by any means. If you like the gameplay more than the story, 4 is probably that game for you. But it took years for the genre to recover with all the shooters they released. I also hate the way they alter the look of the characters, because you get used to that iconic look. But they just don't feel like they are the same characters sometimes.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
but then can’t fend off one Hunter was pretty hilarious to me.
I feel like that's remake's fault. They changed some things so that rebecca always gets attacked by a hunter no matter what. In og re1, that can be prevented depending to your actions in the game.

I personally like her in re0 a lot. She and billy make a good team just like sherry and jake in re6.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It does, not exactly where they end up, but it explains why Alpha Team hasn't heard from them, which is what I meant when I said it explains how they went missing. It explains why Alpha Team has to go looking for them, and how Rebecca survived.

This can be explained by Spencer trying to erase Marcus' influence in the creation of the T-virus, so that he can say his part of the organization did it, and he can then take credit for it.

How about this: Queen Leech makes a smaller attack on the lab first, to test out its' abilities. It's small scale, and while it goes mostly unnoticed, it does result in a mistake during procedure, causing the virus to leak. Meaning it is Queen Leech's fault, but it still is a result of an accident caused by its' actions. Then time goes by, and after the mansion is totally overrun with B.O.W.s, Queen Leech then attacks the Training Facility and the Train.

Eh, it kind of bugs me, but I'll stick to my head canon that it's a different one. That clears it up for me.
But they still barely get any screentime other than rebecca, edward and enrico.

That's a good point but then why does that file in re2 n64 version exist then?

He doesnt explain the means he caused that attack, he simply says he did it. It's never shown unlike what happens in the train during the intro of the game. I wished it was, ı would like to see what was happening in the mansion before the accident.

That's wrong, it's the same factory. Kamiya even confirmed it in a tweet though it's deleted. The game has geography issues with its locations.

Regardless ı still dont see how the game couldnt be considered a spinoff. It doesnt feel that relevant for both re1 and remake. I want to pick one but ı'm conflicted.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I finished the game in one sitting as of now for another replay and final queen leech boss fight is one of the best ones in the series imo. The magnum finisher is so badass. The game also becomes more enjoyable with unlockables.

I still think the game is a spinoff though. To me; the mainline entries are re1, re2, re3, re4, re5 and re6. ( Re7 and revillage are technically mainline too but ı still dont see them as ones in my eyes. )

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I feel that re0's potential could have been realized much more if it explored bravo team more properly. I like rebecca and billy as duo but ı still feel that centering it more around the completely new cast who in the end would all die as a way to sacrifice their lives in order to stop the threat of queen leech would work better. That means billy as well who will probably never appear again. He straight up says that he's a zombie anyway so it seems that sugimura planned for him to die. I wished he sacrificed his life to save rebecca along with bravo team who also sacrificed their lives for rebecca so that she can appear in iwao's script. If it was designed more similar to outbreak games and re6; it could work better ı think.

With re0; they turned rebecca into a liar in a forced way due to the game being a prequel but ı dont think that's a bad thing since she still acts like that in iwao's script anyway. I dont take mikami's script seriously except lisa trevor who ı wished was in sugimura's script rather than mikami's. Trevor family was already mentioned in recv so imo they should have given sugimura more freedom to do whatever he wants so that he could have showcased his writing much more.

I've seen the game being described as " black sheep " but ı disagree with that. I personally see re4 as black sheep due to finding its development a lot more messy than remake and re0 who arent even sequels. Though ı'm still curious how things would work if n64 version of re0 would have been released but ı like the final game for what it is.

I feel that looking at the game as a " dream plot " to re1 for rebecca similar to survivor 2 being a dream rush plot as a way to expand claire's mind state would work too.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I'll also say here that ı think dead aim being more of a follow up to re0's story is in a way what makes the game's story massive waste to me. Morpheus had potential but ı would have preferred if the game explored wxc along with their hcf unit more rather than morpheus being simply blamed for marcus' crimes. I dont disagree with sugimura for doing this but ı still wished that the game was more of a follow up to recv in regards to wxc.

I actually like morpheus as an antagonist more than ı used to and that includes his motivations along with his views. I just wished it was connected more to recv in regards to morpheus having a disturbing crush on alexia to the point of altering his gender. Idk ı think morpheus being connected to wxc would have been more interesting.

I wished the game wasnt a part of survivor series. I dont find spinoff entries forming a series that interesting. I wished darkside chronicles didnt carry the " chronicles " name while creating a more unique one by its own. I also feel that way about rerev2 which should have been an expansion of re6 rather than becoming a 2nd revelations entry.

As it stands; ı find recv the most unique spinoff without x alterations.

RE0's portrayal of Rebecca is way different to the first game. She wasn't nearly as shy in the prequel. Some say the ordeal changed her, but hmmm. I don't know

Yama

Owner
I recently had a huge session with Zero again, played through it roughly five times on PC. I have to say it's odd, it's a game that never really lands in my top spots but when I break it down, it has almost every element from a golden era of Biohazard that I love. It's quite literally REmake engine wise, visually, artistically and general gameplay. It had some oddities to it, but I feel like I was tougher on it back then because of the standards the series set. Looking at it now, it really has so many elements that make me fall in love with a Biohazard title. Great music to boot. I'd say how disjointed it felt from REmake despite being a prequel is what rubs me the wrong way still, but I'm willing to look passed that given how many other aspects it lands.

Top Bottom